Fat turning soft and weird feeling - what is up with it?

Options
Hi guys! It's me with yet another weird weight loss question.. I've been pretty annoyed as I've lost quite a bit of weight but not much from my belly. Anyways I was noticing today my belly fat is really soft and squishy. And if you squeeze it you can feel like there is pieces inside of it, like it's not one piece of fat anymore. Is my body just not able to break down my fat and just made it soft? I don't like how it actually looks like it hangs down more when before it was more solid and stuck out. Hard to explain. Makes me picture cottage cheese, GROSS I know.... Anyways why would it do that but not lose any inches darn it? Every other part of my body has shrank quite a bit.

Replies

• Peque1130deleted
    Options
    bump....interested in the answers to come...
  • jridgway49
    Options
    bump...am in the same boat wanting for answers
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the truth of this, but I've read that happens right before a "woosh".. meaning, the actual fat molecules have left some cells, but there's still some water left in the cells.. when these leave the cells, you'll get a weight loss woosh as they say! lol At least that's what I've read on it. Look up Woosh on Lyle McDonald's site. Actually, here's the link: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience... sounds like maybe what you are feeling is the excess skin that has been left behind?
  • trixylewis
    trixylewis Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    my mother would say 'stop fooling with yourself' LOL I have NO idea I don't feel myself but when do, I'm pretty much like the pillsbury dough boy all over - I did notice my hamstrings & calves are getting tighter oh and my butt (when flexed) but other than that ...
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Belly fat isn't all the same. One type of belly fat seems squishy and is easy to grab between your fingers; the other is like a bowling ball in the middle of the gut. The differences between the two types of fat don't end there. Understanding the dramatic difference between the two types of belly fat may extend your lifespan, especially if you carry extra weight in the abdominal region.

Subcutaneous vs. Visceral
    The belly fat you can grab in your hand is subcutaneous fat, which resides between your skin and abdominal wall. This fat tends to be more visible than deeper fat, but it isn't as harmful as visceral fat, which surrounds your abdominal organs, according to MayoClinic.com.

Causes
    Aging causes your metabolism to slow down. Being sedentary can also contribute to weight gain as you get older. However, factors such as age and lack of physical activity don't directly influence the amount of visceral fat you have. Hormonal changes that occur after menopause can cause women to store more fat in their bellies. Additionally, some people inherit a tendency to be "apple-shaped" as opposed to "pear-shaped."

Health Risks
    Visceral fat is linked with a variety of health problems, including high cholesterol, high blood pressure, insulin resistance and diabetes, according to UAB Medicine. These conditions increase your risk of stroke and heart attack. Visceral fat may be linked to such health conditions because it's thought to be biologically active. This means it acts more like an endocrine organ or gland that produces hormones and other substances that may damage your health, according to Harvard Health Publications. Having too much visceral fat may throw off the functioning of hormones that help keep the body in balance.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/338079-soft-belly-fat-vs-hard-belly-fat/#ixzz1Yzg2PdTg
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    This is from livestrong website. Perhaps you are burning Visceral fat first...which doesn't appear to be a bad thing at all!
    Belly fat isn't all the same. One type of belly fat seems squishy and is easy to grab between your fingers; the other is like a bowling ball in the middle of the gut. The differences between the two types of fat don't end there. Understanding the dramatic difference between the two types of belly fat may extend your lifespan, especially if you carry extra weight in the abdominal region.

Subcutaneous vs. Visceral
    The belly fat you can grab in your hand is subcutaneous fat, which resides between your skin and abdominal wall. This fat tends to be more visible than deeper fat, but it isn't as harmful as visceral fat, which surrounds your abdominal organs, according to MayoClinic.com.

Causes
    Aging causes your metabolism to slow down. Being sedentary can also contribute to weight gain as you get older. However, factors such as age and lack of physical activity don't directly influence the amount of visceral fat you have. Hormonal changes that occur after menopause can cause women to store more fat in their bellies. Additionally, some people inherit a tendency to be "apple-shaped" as opposed to "pear-shaped."

Health Risks
    Visceral fat is linked with a variety of health problems, including high cholesterol, high blood pressure, insulin resistance and diabetes, according to UAB Medicine. These conditions increase your risk of stroke and heart attack. Visceral fat may be linked to such health conditions because it's thought to be biologically active. This means it acts more like an endocrine organ or gland that produces hormones and other substances that may damage your health, according to Harvard Health Publications. Having too much visceral fat may throw off the functioning of hormones that help keep the body in balance.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/338079-soft-belly-fat-vs-hard-belly-fat/#ixzz1Yzg2PdTg
  • Ajaay
    Ajaay Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sounds like may be extra skin with cellulite. Just keep working out and you will lose more fat. I know some people have to have a tummy tuck after extreme weight loss to get rid of extra skin and others who don't lose an extreme amount sometimes report skin tightening up over time.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Thanks, servilia! Great link.

Also, the state of my fat has changed quite a bit, as well. It used to be dense and firm. Now it's also squishy and went through a chunky phase, as well. I wrote a blog about it here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/wash-me-82452

Now it feels like the fat cells are deflating...emptying. :D
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have been told in the past that hard or firm fat is fat that has not had much blood going round it in a while. It goes soft when your body is pumping blood through it more often or in other words using it.

So as i understand it firm fat > soft fat > gone fat.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I figure when it goes squishy like that, it's like having a bean bag that's lost some of its stuffing. When it was full, you didn't notice each indvidual lump. Now that there's room in there, you can feel the lumps that are left. This is good! It means there's less in there than there was to start with!
  • kitten76
    kitten76 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I honestly could not explain that other than that you have a lot of loose skin as the weight has come off. Best maybe to consult your physician if you are truly concerned.
  • lucylou9701
    Options
    I'm not sure about the truth of this, but I've read that happens right before a "woosh".. meaning, the actual fat molecules have left some cells, but there's still some water left in the cells.. when these leave the cells, you'll get a weight loss woosh as they say! lol At least that's what I've read on it. Look up Woosh on Lyle McDonald's site. Actually, here's the link: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

this is what happened to me i had this weird saggy skin and then i started incorparating ALOT of water and more ab work and now its going down incredibly fast in just a whoosh i think i have lost 4 lbs this week :) (I know you shouldnt but i couldnt control it lol and i am happy)
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    The skin isn't really loose, I don't know how to describe it well... picture say a balloon, and fill it full of sand that is really compacted. That is a way to describe my belly, now picture that balloon, put in styrofoam balls of varying sizes not ultra compacted, and fill the rest with water. That is about the only way I can describe it. My belly has only lost about 1.5 inches in total, verses all other parts are up to around 5-6 inches gone. So I don't think it's just hanging skin because there hasn't been enough lost to really hang. It's also not something that has always been there, it's a noticeable difference when I run and stuff.. It sloshes kinda like it didn't use to wiggle when I ran so much.. I may just be crazy.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

I'm wondering if this is it, I have been losing weight FAST this week. I was semi-concerned about it. 6 pounds in 5 days. This weight loss has started shortly after I noticed the stomach starting to slosh more and more when I move. I can shake it like jello :-(. No I'm not Santa and you can't get presents if you sit on my lap. >.<
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I have that!

Mostly in my upper arms, though some in my stomach. It really squicks me out sometimes. :laugh: But I figure, as long as it feels like something's moving out (taking away bulk) it's all good! :happy:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I'm wondering if this is it, I have been losing weight FAST this week. I was semi-concerned about it. 6 pounds in 5 days. This weight loss has started shortly after I noticed the stomach starting to slosh.

yeah if the water-whoosh hypothesis is correct there's nothing to be concerned about - you could have lost the fat slowly, and then later (like this week), all the water wooshed out..
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

I'm wondering if this is it, I have been losing weight FAST this week. I was semi-concerned about it. 6 pounds in 5 days. This weight loss has started shortly after I noticed the stomach starting to slosh.

yeah if the water-whoosh hypothesis is correct there's nothing to be concerned about - you could have lost the fat slowly, and then later (like this week), all the water wooshed out..

*closes eyes, crosses fingers* I hope it is..I hope it is..I hope it is..
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    The fat has lose up before it flush out of the body.