Fat turning soft and weird feeling - what is up with it?

Options

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Your body is doing a very good job. Don't knock it.
    And that bumpy stuff, my dear, is cellulite...just hardened, bumpy fat. Just keep doing what you are doing. It's working!
    Your body will continue to metabolize that off of your body.
    You'll be amazed at how much your skin will change and become nicer, as you get healthier and more fit.
    And I am one of those that think weight training is the best way to get that look.
  • cbendorf13
    cbendorf13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I posted this question before too, and never got a good answer.

My doctor said that when you start to engage the muscles in weight loss, and you do enough to burn fat, then the fat and muscle separates and the fat loosens up to be used, or something like that. I think she said it means that you are not losing muscle anymore, because the body has separated it by a layer of water to protect the muscles and focus on the fat.

Basically, it's a good thing, and you want it to happen.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    bump for later, I must go workout before I get sidetracked again...
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald talks about this in his writings. Pieces of fat like marbles and they get squishy...........its just fat getting used up and is a good thing.

Yeppers this is an old post, I did a lot of research after I made it awhile back. I actually read something from McDonald about it. I read several articles that called it the fat whoosh. As fat get squishy and breaks apart it makes a cheese curd like shapes and fills with fluid to help it transport out.

This is so reassuring to me, as I have noticed that the fat on my legs and tummy is "looser" so to speak. Hopefully it's packing up to leave soon! lol!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    That's your viceral fat breaking down. It's a good thing. Keep up the good work, and kiss that gut goodbye!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I never knew there are different kinds of fat on a body. I am saving this for when I get squishy LOL
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    THIS IS A GOOD THING! I had read an article when this was happening to me, its the fat break up. Some call it the WOOSH effect. Where the fat goes from a solid mass to little squishy-ness. lol It means your body is breaking it down to eliminate it! Congrats, look forward to the weight loss!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the truth of this, but I've read that happens right before a "woosh".. meaning, the actual fat molecules have left some cells, but there's still some water left in the cells.. when these leave the cells, you'll get a weight loss woosh as they say! lol At least that's what I've read on it. Look up Woosh on Lyle McDonald's site. Actually, here's the link: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

I'm wondering if this is it, I have been losing weight FAST this week. I was semi-concerned about it. 6 pounds in 5 days. This weight loss has started shortly after I noticed the stomach starting to slosh.

yeah if the water-whoosh hypothesis is correct there's nothing to be concerned about - you could have lost the fat slowly, and then later (like this week), all the water wooshed out..

I think this is what you are experiecing.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    It is more than likely loose skin with some remnants of fat left, I got it too, if it bothers you do what I did and buy a mirdle or compression shirt. There's nothing you can really do about it except wait and hope that it bounces back or get surgery to remove it. My belly is the bad area arms and legs I don't really have any. I have heard several things like drinking lots of water, moisturizing every day, brush it with a hard bristle brush, but I don't know if that will work to remove it. The skin takes time to bounce back. Good Luck with it. Mine has gone down some since I started lifting about 11 months ago, but I don't think mine will ever bounce back totally. Oh well, I would rather have the loose skin with little to no fat than all the fat that was under it before.
  • natwen
    natwen Posts: 81
    Options
    I was wondering about this same thing, because I am experiencing it. But its in my tits. Which means I guess they are gonna "woosh" and I will be left with floppy skin bags. GREAT!
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Oh no! It's happening in my chest too...lol. Thank goodness it's happening in other places also. I was thinking in the shower this morning that my body no longer feels like my own. It's sort of unsettling.
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    ok so what changes have you noticed since posting this?

Honestly belly shrank for a bit and it's doing it again, which means hopefully it'll shrink some more again.It'll be the 3rd cycle of this happening, first two I dropped an inch like that once the whoosh was done... Legs and about every part of my body is having this phenomenon happening now. Except on my arms where these weird hard big bumps that move when my arm moves have formed.

Strangest thing...I have bumps like that on my calves and thighs when I ride my bike or walk and sometimes when I just move them~I kinda like strokin those bumps!!....:) Lovin it!!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Not just you, OP :) aren't our bodies weird?
  • MomDaze3
    MomDaze3 Posts: 24
    Options
    Bump
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the truth of this, but I've read that happens right before a "woosh".. meaning, the actual fat molecules have left some cells, but there's still some water left in the cells.. when these leave the cells, you'll get a weight loss woosh as they say! lol At least that's what I've read on it. Look up Woosh on Lyle McDonald's site. Actually, here's the link: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

I'm wondering if this is it, I have been losing weight FAST this week. I was semi-concerned about it. 6 pounds in 5 days. This weight loss has started shortly after I noticed the stomach starting to slosh.

yeah if the water-whoosh hypothesis is correct there's nothing to be concerned about - you could have lost the fat slowly, and then later (like this week), all the water wooshed out..

*closes eyes, crosses fingers* I hope it is..I hope it is..I hope it is..

Really curious to hear what happens with this. Keep us updated. Did you stomach ever tighten up?
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump
  • lafaux
    lafaux Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When you get to this stage - it's a good thing!

Body massage, daily body brushing and drinking water should help a bit - it can help break down fat cells and will stimulate circulation, plus the water will help flush fatty acids and toxins out through your lymphatic system.
    Swimming is also good and if you still want more - you can moisturise with a firming lotion.

Plus if you eat foods that can help boost your body's collagen production, eg soy sauce (I think that was for collagen) then that might help things snap into place a wee bit quicker.

Not an expert - just piecing together bits of info from my various jobs...