Starting a juice fast

Options
124»

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    The lemon leaches out the toxins from your muscles, joints, and organs, while the pepper opens your vessels to allow the toxins an easy exit...

I think I am going to cry
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    The lemon leaches out the toxins from your muscles, joints, and organs, while the pepper opens your vessels to allow the toxins an easy exit...

I think I am going to cry
    Lemon juice naturally gets rid of toxins. It isn't rocket science. It is also good to wash your produce in with some salt in a tub of water. It helps rid your produce of bad bacteria. I am talking about fresh made lemon juice here. It is a quick detox that works. So, go ahead and "cry".
  • pink2lady
    pink2lady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Toxins can be small molecules, peptides, or proteins that are capable of causing disease on contact with or absorption by body tissues interacting with biological macromolecules such as enzymes or cellular receptors. Toxins vary greatly in their severity, ranging from usually minor and acute (as in a bee sting) to almost immediately deadly (as in botulinum toxin).
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Lol @ the toxins being "all those harmful free radicals in your body!" Do you guys even know that legitimate scientific toxins are technically things like lactic acid? That you have in your body? That are naturally "dealt with" unless your organs are failing? You're better off stretching, working out, etc. than going on crash juice diets (curse that protein!).

Oh, but someone already linked fasting to "an important part of religion" and that it's been done for "over 2000 years." Lol, yup, and religion sure has science backing it up, too!

Yup, I'm out!
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Juice fasting is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever seen

I wondered how far I would have to go to get to a post I agreed with. Although the one above this one was pretty close to. Good luck preserving muscle tissue. I personally prefer to eat a high protein solid food diet at a calorie amount that makes me lose a safe amount of weight. But what do I know...

Didn't you hear Det, its not about preserving muscle tissue anymore! Muscle is just added weight and we have to get that pesky scale number as low as possible! and muscle weighs twice as much as fat so lets get rid of it!!!
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice naturally gets rid of toxins. It isn't rocket science. It is also good to wash your produce in with some salt in a tub of water. It helps rid your produce of bad bacteria. I am talking about fresh made lemon juice here. It is a quick detox that works. So, go ahead and "cry".

It is not rocket science because it is not science at all. No scientific thought at all goes into this including biology or physiology.

hocus pocus and mass hysteria perhaps, but not science.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Toxins can be small molecules, peptides, or proteins that are capable of causing disease on contact with or absorption by body tissues interacting with biological macromolecules such as enzymes or cellular receptors. Toxins vary greatly in their severity, ranging from usually minor and acute (as in a bee sting) to almost immediately deadly (as in botulinum toxin).

So detoxing can cure bee stings and cancel out botox? Sign me up!
  • mcmlxix
    Options
    Drinking Naked Juice is not the way to go on a juice fast. Pasteurized juices are not nearly as nutritious as raw, fresh juices. If you don't have a juicer, you can derive the same benefits by making shakes. You can search for Robin Openshaw on Youtube or Google.
    I juice everyday for breakfast and lunch because I want those micronutrients and phytochemicals you can't get from Naked Juice.
  • smlee73
    Options
    My hubby is doing it for loosing weight for the PRT for the navy.. ugh! it's horrible..He is sick of it.. He has tried all kinds of combinations. It does work tho'. Tho he is hungry, tired, light headed (no energy).. missing the imporant carbs & protiens someone needs. we watched the video "join the reboot"..
  • Rags2Righteous
    Rags2Righteous Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    There is no time in Judaism that anyone goes days on end without food. They fast from sunup to sundown during certain high holidays, but they eat a large meal at sundown.

I get fasting for religious reasons, even days-long fasts. The rest? Well, I won't tell you what I think. I do know that if you really believe something will happen, you will feel as though it has, regardless of whether it actually has.

Actually, a few prophets and leaders in the Bible have done extended fasting (e.g., 40 days): Moses, Elijah, King David, Daniel (partial fast), etc. While I cannot attest to the medical benefits of extended JUICE fasting, I can say that the sacrifice of fasting in general -coupled with prayer -can have tremendous spiritual benefits. But since this is not a religious forum, l would like to know more about the physical health implications of juice fasting in particular.
  • eksproductions
    eksproductions Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I recently completed a 30 day, juice only fast, you can read my blog here: http://30daystolose.blogspot.com/

I lost 22lbs total during the 30 days and have continued losing, really helped me to cut my food addiction.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There is no time in Judaism that anyone goes days on end without food. They fast from sunup to sundown during certain high holidays, but they eat a large meal at sundown.

I get fasting for religious reasons, even days-long fasts. The rest? Well, I won't tell you what I think. I do know that if you really believe something will happen, you will feel as though it has, regardless of whether it actually has.

Actually, a few prophets and leaders in the Bible have done extended fasting (e.g., 40 days): Moses, Elijah, King David, Daniel (partial fast), etc. While I cannot attest to the medical benefits of extended JUICE fasting, I can say that the sacrifice of fasting in general -coupled with prayer -can have tremendous spiritual benefits. But since this is not a religious forum, l would like to know more about the physical health implications of juice fasting in particular.

So you take the Bible as absolute and literal?

Regardless, modern Jews do not fast for days at a time. They fast, during certain high holy days, from sunup to sundown. Even the most conservative, orthodox, Hasidic Jews eat daily during their "fasts."
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    :huh: How the hell did we go from juice fasting to religious debates?

*waits for thread to get delete*
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    :huh: How the hell did we go from juice fasting to religious debates?

*waits for thread to get delete*

isn't religious debate. He stated that juice fasting is somehow supported by the fact that some people fast for religious reasons and specifically singled out Jews. He has his facts wrong and therefore, what he said does not support his claim about juice fasts.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a fast for detoxing purposes then no. Part of juicing is that you're removing most of the fiber, which is the pulp. If you were to blend then the fiber remains, which is the first thing your body will work on breaking down. That, in turn, slows down the absorption of the micronutrients and vitamins from the juice. By the time your body breaks down the fiber lots of the micronutrients are destroyed by the gastric juices. Without the fiber they get absorbed really fast, something like 10-15 minutes. So if you are going to juice, use a juicer, separate the fiber from the juice, get much better benefits.

But...but...fiber is amazingly beneficial! Besides, high fiber foods are so rich in micronutrients, the fiber isn't going to have that much of an impact anyway.
  • ewtx1000
    ewtx1000 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I only started juicing because lots of pro athletes do it and look how great they look!

This is a crazy idea - but maybe they look great because they're athletes?

I'm sure lots of athletes also eat pizza, look how great they look! I'm gonna go eat some pizza, maybe I can look that good too...:bigsmile:

Ok, so i'm kidding around, but in all seriousness here - I can't imagine why an professional athlete would sacrifice their nutrition plans by just drinking juice... any ideas? I am asking because I genuinely cannot understand it.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm starting a juice fast tomorrow - plan is to go 5 days but I'm open to going further.

I've been juicing for breakfast for a few weeks and love it. We bought a new juicer - had been using a Breville, we got an Omega Vert. The Omega says juice is good for 72 hours, so I'm planning on making up all of my juice the night before, since I have to leave super early in the morning.

Has anyone made their juice the night before? Did it work ok? I also have jars that seal really tightly so I think that will help keep it fresh. I know juice is best consumed right away but I don't have that option.

I'm also open to any other tips or experiences people would like to share :)

I did a 30 day juice fast in October 2012 and it was amazing. I still juice today.

I make my juice at night and drink them over a course of a day or 2. Your green juices can go up to 72 hours and your fruit juices tend to spoil much faster.

The only thing I dislike about juicing is cleaning the juicer.

A tip to help aide you in the clean up, you may want to get cheesecloth or a painter's bag to catch the pulp.

I go to youtube and watch Dan the Life Regenerator or Ms Leafy Greens for all kinds of juice recipes.

Hope this helps.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Cool!
  • chessboxer1
    Options
    Just started this app, & my 1st time calorie counting ever.

For almost a year, I've been using a blender to make morning juice. This entails: beets, celery, apples, and blueberries.

Sometimes grapes & mangos.

It doesn't always taste great, but this is the way to do it. Those companies like Naked etc.. selling drinks that TASTE great is their

priority, while health benefits are 2nd place to them. Not everything good for you will taste great. Nothing of what I concot is nasty,

but it definetly won't be at you neighborhood Jamba Juice. Just keep that in mind when you think a little agave isn't going to hurt.

It's just not worth it. Good luck to all of you-