For women who lift weights

Options
I have just started to lift heavier weights going from 5lbs. to 10 lbs. then a little later will go up again. Since I'm just using my brother's 10-lb. dumbbells so I decided to go to a sporting good store to buy my own sets of 10 & 15 lb dumbbells. However when I went to a sporting good store, a woman sales clerk offered me some that suits for women which is 2-4 lb dumbbells & told me that its not advisable for a woman to lift that heavy like the way I do since it is bad for our uterus. In contrast, I have subscribed to many fitness articles online & all of them said that it is generally OK for women to lift heavy weights. So I just want to know your opinions about this. Is it generally safe for women to lift heavy weights?

Replies

• faw1001
    faw1001 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I go to a Pump class at my gym on Sundays and the women there use between 5kg to 40kg total on a bar for the workouts (going up and down depending on the muscle group).

Fi
  • kronos288
    Options
    Sorry, I don't mean to intrude since this is for women, but it is absolutely fine. Besides, weights being "heavy" is relative to the strength of every individual person, so to limit women to 2-4 lb dumb bells is ridiculous. If you find the current weights you're using are too light and you want to increase the weight, all the power to you.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I lift 8 to 15 pounds and will continue to go up as it feels too easy. Pffft bad for your uterus...
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I really hope she's joking. In any case, she shouldn't be allowed anywhere near any sporting goods if she truly believes that.

I curl 20s and lift much heavier regularly and while I'm not trying to put a baby in there, my uterus is just fine. Of course I rarely use my uterus to lift the weights. I am more concerned about it falling on the floor while I squat.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    but also.. going from 5lb to 10lb sounds a bit fast and may shock your body, increasing your weights more frequently but by less is better than waiting longer and having a big increase. so maybe try 7 or 8 lb before 10
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    That is RIDICULOUS!
    2-4lb dumb bells ... lol you would never get a burn. You would have to do 50 reps!!! lol!
    Lift heavier, higher reps! Especially for back, shoulders and legs! Those muscles are already quite strong! if you want results you have to challenge your body & stress it out!
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I lift 4x per week and way heavier than 10-15lbs and my uterus is just fine! Lifting heavy is perfectly fine for women just be sure you have someone to help you with proper form so you don't get injured.
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    Just a thought... If it were so bad for our uterus to lift over 4 lbs... Then why do kids weigh more than that... even when they are born? Some people are ridiculous. Lift away girlie!!
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'd ask the woman that told you lifting 10-15# weights is bad for your uterus where she got her medical degree! It's about proper technique & lifting weight that is appropriate for you & the exercise you are doing. That is how you build muscle that will in turn increase your metabolism. 10-15# does not sound excessive to me. Do what is comfortable for you.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry, but how the hell has lifting weights got anything to do with your uterus?

i use 10-15 pound weights and heavier under the advice of my very young female (non child bearing) personal trainer. I'm pretty sure i use an 18 pound medicine ball for my ab work.

seriously, what the hell is a 2 pound weight, you may as well do weights with your mobile phone.

i'd have to do about 1000 reps to get any work out of a weight that low (and i'm not exactly super woman)

once you've been training for a while, you need to up your weight or you are going to slow your progress. you don't have to lift ridiculous, but you have to actually make an effort. and you have to keep increasing as you get fitter and stronger.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    unless you are lifting 15 pound weights WITH YOUR ACTUAL UTERUS, i don't think it does anything :P i've repeatedly heard that doing fewer reps with higher weight works your muscles better than many reps with low weight. and 2 pounds? you'd have to do like 100 reps to feel anything!
  • jogdog
    jogdog Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That lady is an idiot!!! I do weights 4-5 times a week alternating between arms one day and legs the other. I lift heavier than most of the other women I've been around and get weird looks like I shouldn't be doing that because I'll bulk up! Women do not naturally have the testorone levels to bulk up so you don't have to worry about that, and lifting heavy will help you burn more calories and build better muscle mass. If done right with sets and reps and you have the right technique, then you have nothing to worry about!!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'm picking up heavy objects.
    like 100 pounds. Good news... I still bleed monthly.

I think it's fine.
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Wow. Some people's ignorance astounds me.
    Your uterus will be fine. Throw the 2-4lb weights at her head and get the bigger ones!
    I use anything from a 9lb bar to 350lbs for leg presses. The key is using the right muscles and form.
  • shantie10
    shantie10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting weights in a class and lift 12 to 15lbs weights (dumbbells) and a 30 pound bar 2 times a week for 45 mins... and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! I love seeing my arms bulking up and feel stronger
  • jackiejax1981
    jackiejax1981 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    PFFFFF! HAHAHA! I don't mean to just LAUGH, but that chick must be crazy. My fav class is BodyPump and BodyWorks and I use between 5 and 10lbs. I also have done regular workouts on my own with heavier weights. It's totally fine. 2-4lbs wouldn't do a damn thing for me, so what's the point? Same for you....if it's too light, move it up.....it's all good and more power to ya! Get it gurrrrl ;-P
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Example #1 of why you don't get medical advice from sales clerks...

Many women choose to do more repetitions with smaller weights (instead of fewer reps with heavier weights) because this helps tone muscles without adding bulk. It is all about preference and lifting the amount that is right for you. Over exertion can be harmful, but listen to your body. You should not be in pain when you are lifting.

To say that women shouldn't lift more than 10 pounds is insane. Think of all the things that women do in their day to day lives that involve lifting more than 10 pounds...

Carrying babies (even large newborns can be 10 pounds - imagine what toddlers weigh)
    Carry water (women have been doing this for millenia)
    Lift their own body weight (as in Yoga)
    Do push-ups or pull-ups
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Agree with Kristi.
  • rockeraxXx
    Options
    Hello! I just started lifting weights a few weeks ago. My husband is my trainer. He's tuff! I lift 40 to 50 lbs. I highly recommend it. Strength training is awesome. I'm losing weight and I feel great. Check out this website http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/felicia-romero-muscle-building-program.html I'm starting this new program tomorrow :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    but also.. going from 5lb to 10lb sounds a bit fast and may shock your body, increasing your weights more frequently but by less is better than waiting longer and having a big increase. so maybe try 7 or 8 lb before 10

Thanks, I guess I just have to buy an 8 lb dumbbells for now. I feel my muscles soaring from the 10 lb. dumbbell although I was able to do 10 reps out of that.