• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    LOL that is hilarious!

I squat 185 pounds, is my uterus going to come flying out? xD
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    10-15lbs is not heavy, and the lady you talked to at the store was an idiot. go get the weights you want, and work your way up heavier.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    LOL that is hilarious!

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Girl! That almost hit me in the face! Watch where you point that thing next time! :heart:
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I have just started to lift heavier weights going from 5lbs. to 10 lbs. then a little later will go up again. Since I'm just using my brother's 10-lb. dumbbells so I decided to go to a sporting good store to buy my own sets of 10 & 15 lb dumbbells. However when I went to a sporting good store, a woman sales clerk offered me some that suits for women which is 2-4 lb dumbbells & told me that its not advisable for a woman to lift that heavy like the way I do since it is bad for our uterus. In contrast, I have subscribed to many fitness articles online & all of them said that it is generally OK for women to lift heavy weights. So I just want to know your opinions about this. Is it generally safe for women to lift heavy weights?

The only time I've ever heard it's bad for your uterus if you lift over 10lb. is after giving birth, vaginally or c-section. Six week wait, a doctor's ok, and you're good to go. Unless you have some other injury, surgery or uterine complication, i'd ignore the saleswoman. You could joke with her, tell her that destroying your uterus is your form of birth control. Lol
  • chunkyme
    chunkyme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love my 45lb weights! My kids play with the 2-5lbs dumbbells! Don't be afraid of weights learn the proper form and learn your limits
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I really hope she's joking. In any case, she shouldn't be allowed anywhere near any sporting goods if she truly believes that.

I curl 20s and lift much heavier regularly and while I'm not trying to put a baby in there, my uterus is just fine. Of course I rarely use my uterus to lift the weights. I am more concerned about it falling on the floor while I squat.

Thanks for this laugh! :laugh:
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I squat 185, dead lift 150, I'm 42, have had 5 kids and ...let me check...yep my uterus is still there. Holy heck!
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    'Bad for your uterus'......? Seriously. Okay, so I'm no doctor or anything so I won't go on and on about how that's impossible (y'know.. in case a real doctor comes in and causes me to have a 'foot-in-mouth' moment) but it just sounds like she's been misinformed a little.. or a lot. For now, I curl 15-20 and hope to one day up it to a cool 25+. Maybe she's scared it'll cause your uterus to BULK UP or something. XD
  • nwoww
    nwoww Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The only way you will hurt your uterus is if you jam a weight into your pelvis...that would be painful:) But seriously, it is great that you are ready to lift heavier, and strength training isn't really strength training if it's not heavy enough to make you stronger. Enjoy your heavier weights!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I can see how it would be detrimental to your uterus.... but I have no idea why you'd want to stick a dumbbell up in your girly bits. :tongue:
  • aliciam318
    aliciam318 Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes it's fine.If more women lifted they would see more progress! Lift like a man look like a goddess!

Love that saying!
    I am going for goddess! I had four children, carried one to the tune of 9lbs 4oz INSIDE my uterus. Then carried them on my hip (between all 4) for the next 11 years. That woman needs to learn how to read or get a life. I started working out with weights a bit more seriously 4 weeks ago and upd the amount I lift last week. I have begun to really notice a difference in my tone all over. Lift away and 'go for goddess!'
  • aliciam318
    aliciam318 Posts: 5
    Options
    I squat 185, dead lift 150, I'm 42, have had 5 kids and ...let me check...yep my uterus is still there. Holy heck!

I'm 42 as well, 4 kids, uterus in tact!
    You have inspired me to take my lifting to the next level. Squat 185!!!! Impressive!
    Options
    LOL that is hilarious!

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Girl! That almost hit me in the face! Watch where you point that thing next time! :heart:

LOL!

Wait so is this why everyone says very lean muscular women cant have kids? Its not low body fat, its that their uterus came flying out?
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I have just started to lift heavier weights going from 5lbs. to 10 lbs. then a little later will go up again. Since I'm just using my brother's 10-lb. dumbbells so I decided to go to a sporting good store to buy my own sets of 10 & 15 lb dumbbells. However when I went to a sporting good store, a woman sales clerk offered me some that suits for women which is 2-4 lb dumbbells & told me that its not advisable for a woman to lift that heavy like the way I do since it is bad for our uterus. In contrast, I have subscribed to many fitness articles online & all of them said that it is generally OK for women to lift heavy weights. So I just want to know your opinions about this. Is it generally safe for women to lift heavy weights?

Of course it's safe. Your sales clerk is lucky she wasn't assisting me... I'm usually a nice person and non-confrontational (unless it's MFP forums ;) ) but I think I would have told her 'don't be stupid' and possibly told her manager 'don't let her tell stupid things to your customers'.

Your uterus can survive pushing a baby out... multiple times a lifetime without self-destructing. Lifting weights isn't going to hurt it. Besides, you're not lifting with your uterus. Your lifting with your legs, abs, back, arms, shoulders, chest. Your uterus is safely tucked inside.

I lift heavy (for me) and love it.
    Options
    I can see how it would be detrimental to your uterus.... but I have no idea why you'd want to stick a dumbbell up in your girly bits. :tongue:

You mean it doesn't help tone that area too? :laugh:
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Dumb as rocks...... I've lifted weights for years and my girlie bits are just fine! I even lifted during my pregnancy - up to a certain point.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I thought I was really pushing it with the 15 lb dumbbells for my bench press today but ignored my womanly intuition. I stood up and picked up my 20 lb dumbbells and started in on my squats and BAM! SPLAT! Uterus on the floor. I should have listened to the sales lady.
  • stewsh
    stewsh Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm picking up heavy objects.
    like 100 pounds. Good news... I still bleed monthly.

I think it's fine.

That's good news? JK
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    She's an idiot. You should totally go back there once you have all your sexy muscles popping out everywhere and show her what real women look like when they lift. Ask her to wave, and say Hi Helen! Then turn around and stick out your fabulous tight *kitten*! She'll eat her words!