For women who lift weights

Options

Replies

• isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Wow, I thought I was the only one that was ever fed that whole lifting heavy is bad for the uterus thing. My mother was convinced of it my whole life (and still is). I was never allowed, in her presence, to lift anything in the least bit heavy lest I damage my uterus and any future grandchildren she may have. She would always say "you'll burst your uterus"

I figured out years ago that it is not true and I have never seen anything that supports it to be true. I have to admit I think it's funny, I thought it was just something only my mom said. Ha!

There is a small wicked part of me that giggles at the thought of my uterus bursting all over the gym every time I lift, but maybe that is too much info.
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I would go back and slap the clerk across the face. She is clueless!!!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I have just started to lift heavier weights going from 5lbs. to 10 lbs. then a little later will go up again. Since I'm just using my brother's 10-lb. dumbbells so I decided to go to a sporting good store to buy my own sets of 10 & 15 lb dumbbells. However when I went to a sporting good store, a woman sales clerk offered me some that suits for women which is 2-4 lb dumbbells & told me that its not advisable for a woman to lift that heavy like the way I do since it is bad for our uterus. In contrast, I have subscribed to many fitness articles online & all of them said that it is generally OK for women to lift heavy weights. So I just want to know your opinions about this. Is it generally safe for women to lift heavy weights?

Um... that's just so not true. I was going to laugh except she's actually representing herself as "educated" and is handing out totally misleading, false information. Saying you can hurt your uterus is like telling a man never to lift heavy weights because he'll get a hernia. Obviously you don't want to overdo or start out so heavy that you hurt yourself, and you want to go up in weight gradually, but lifting heavy is fine for men and women alike!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    That's just about the dumbest warning i have ever heard... like lifting can have any impact on your uterus...
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I used to be terrified of lifting too much weight because I thought that it would make me bulk up. After working with a trainer & talking to friends who body build I realized just how wrong I was. When I use the free weights, I started out at 5lbs & have recently upgraded to 10lb weight. When on the machines, it varies because I put on just enough weight to add resistance. I have never heard that using anything more than a 4lb weight is bad for your uterus. & like someone else mentioned, if that was the case, then I should have never been able to carry an 8lb baby to full term at 5'1. Lol.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Bad for your uterus? Now I've really heard everything...
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Why in the heck would that be bad for my uterus?! I would think carrying around four babies to term was a lot worse on my uterus than lifting weights would be! Besides, four pregnancies left me with "leakage" issues whereas the weight lifting seems to be helping that go away (after YEARS!) I suspect it's because I'm strengthening muscles that support the area and less pressure is on the bladder. So my uterus can just deal with it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Two pounds is the weight of a Big Gulp. Therefore, drinking one will give you beautiful toned arms. :indifferent:

I lift heavy. The damn uterus is still there, although I'd like to get rid of it.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Lol, wow that lady needs a different job. I've always lifted heavy and I won't stop and I'm perfectly fine. When I do bi's I use 20's right now. 2-4 lbs is going to do nothing for you.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    unless you are lifting 15 pound weights WITH YOUR ACTUAL UTERUS, i don't think it does anything :P i've repeatedly heard that doing fewer reps with higher weight works your muscles better than many reps with low weight. and 2 pounds? you'd have to do like 100 reps to feel anything!

Best post of the day!!
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    So should I not not pick up my children?? Not carry a can of milk in one hand and 10lb bag of rice in other?? Call hubby to lift that oil container from the top shelf because 'it might hurt my uterus'. LOL I might need to use that one to my advantage.
  • LoveLaughSweatFuel
    LoveLaughSweatFuel Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    Thank you for the laugh. I needed it. Part of me wants to ask where this store is located just to purchase weights from this lady. I've lifted since the age of 15. I may add not light. Have two children 6 & 8 that were 10 lbs 6 oz. & 8 lbs. 7 oz. No uterean problems here. Again thanks for the chuckle! You'll be fine. :smile:
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    pfffft... everyone knows that it's running that causes your lady junk to fall out.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    OMG LMAO at what she said to you! HA!
  • MystiqueASAP
    MystiqueASAP Posts: 747
    Options
    This sales woman is pretty much saying don't go grocery shopping, pick up your baby, do house work, and etc, if she only recommends 2-4 lb dumbbells. :noway: I lift 60 - 80 lbs during my strength training for upper body alone, granted they are shorter reps, and my uterus haven't fell, shifted, burst, or dropped out.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    what a dumb butt. yes you can lift heavy. I go as heavy as I possibly, can NFN but the uterus is a muscle and good muscle strength would help it function better, not worse. I pushed out a couple kids. Strong abs and everything else come in handy at that point in time.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    My PHYSIO told me that 'a woman's body isn't designed to lift more than 3kg' and that 'Big beefy MALE Personal trainers push women to lift more than they should.

I'm not seeing that physio any more.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My PHYSIO told me that 'a woman's body isn't designed to lift more than 3kg' and that 'Big beefy MALE Personal trainers push women to lift more than they should.

How does she propose I carry a gallon of milk? :laugh:
  • sharyon
    sharyon Posts: 2
    Options
    I LIFT VARIOUS WEIGHTS, FROM 5LB TO 12LB. DEPENDING ON WHAT KIND OF EXERCISE IT IS. I FOLLOW P90X.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

How does she propose I carry a gallon of milk? :laugh:

Or a kid? Or your handbag?

Here's the thread: It's a few weeks old now: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/545037-women-lifting?hl=Physio+3kg&page=1#posts-7645153