VERTICAL CHALLENGERS! Home to all shorties out there. (OPEN)

Options

Replies

• tbudge
    tbudge Posts: 114
    Options
    wow, I almost feel tall...I'm 5'3" (barely) but I'm the shortest in my family (my kids are taller than me)
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Compliments of TooFatToFit, which has provided a previous tutorial on adding the banner to your signature.

First off, since it's hosted with tinypics.com I *think* it okay for us to use it as is and not save it and upload it to our own image host, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Right click on the banner you want, and select Copy image location.
    2. At the top of this page right under where it says Message Boards>>..... click on Signature.
    3. Put in [I m g]paste what you copied[/ I m g] but do not put the spaces in between the "img" like I did.
    4. Save your new signature.
  • MissD89
    MissD89 Posts: 102
    Options
    My Turn

This is my second losing attempt and I'm hoping to make it my last - my last because a) I don't want to yo-yo, can anybody actually afford the clothes of doing that anyway? But also, b) I'm at the age where I just don't think my skin or health will take another stretching after three kids as well.

I got way up previously just through gluttony really, being a stay at home mum after working for years and years was also a bit of a shock, lots of food scaps to clear up, lots of takeaway etc. It wasn't pretty.

I stayed down after the weight loss untill last year when my mum was diagnosed with dementia. It really was a manic year and we (my sister and I) just bounced from one crisis to another. I comfort and convenience ate my way through the whole year and managed to put almost all of my weight back on.

Largest ever: 181lbs
    Current: 156
    Goal: I'm not sure. I've put down what the BMI recommends but basically will get to target when I'm comfortable, not necessarily based on a number or recommendation. I'm sure I'm not the only shorty that goes '105lbs? Yeah right, like that's ever going to happen'.

I want to lose weight mainly for vanity (there, I said it!). I want to wear nice clothes that fit and let's face it, it's hard enough at this height...with the extra baggage it's impossible!

Part of my plan this time is to study my emotional responses to food as well. I'm an emotional eater and not only am I looking at that habit/link that I've formed, but also looking to find and learn better coping strategies. Things with my mum have settled and we are somewhat 'in a groove' now. So it's my time to pay attention to myself.

So - 'Hello' Now I've intoduced myself...your turn :smile:

Blobs x (aka Liz)

Hey Liz, Glad to know your mom is doing better. I also put on weight myself due to being home with my kids for a couple years. I'm just ready to have my pre baby but BETTER body back! and i know we can ALL definately relate to the struggles of a shortie. and I love ur honetsly with the vanity being a reason for u wanting to lose weight. I'll admit, I think about looking good ina bikini every time I need to distract myself from temptation. =) But, I also just want to be healthy. Be able to run 20 minutes without feeling like I'm going to die. lol. Hopefully , all us challengers can encourage and motivate eachother to reach our goals! We can all do this!!

VERTICAL CHALLENGERS! LET'S GO!

If you haven't already, please give us a lil intro about urself, whatever u choose to share, and perhaps how u came to find urself on this journey.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Hiya! So pleased to see you and all the others here!! Our family is growing and coming together...let's hope that's the only thing that grows while we're here (apart from lusciousness, confidence, abs etc. Although I would be mega chuffed with a bit of height growth, I think I've missed the boat).

YES! The challenge of losing 3lbs by October 14th is still going from the original thread. How is everyone doing on that score??

I have lost 2 lbs. since the beginning of the challenge and really hoping to lose at least 1 more by October 14th. Here's a little bit of info. about myself:

I'm a SAHM to my 2 year old and 7 year old and live in the DFW area of Texas. I started my weight-loss journey in September of 2010 weighing in at 223 lbs. (yes on a 4 ft. 11inch frame). I began losing weight just by cutting down my portion sizes, cutting out soda and snacking, and walking around my subdvision. I joined MFP in January and have lost a total of 94 lbs. so far. My first goal is 120 lb., which puts me at the top of the healthy range for my height, but I'll see what I want to do once I reach that.
  • Babygirl082578
    Babygirl082578 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hiya! So pleased to see you and all the others here!! Our family is growing and coming together...let's hope that's the only thing that grows while we're here (apart from lusciousness, confidence, abs etc. Although I would be mega chuffed with a bit of height growth, I think I've missed the boat).

YES! The challenge of losing 3lbs by October 14th is still going from the original thread. How is everyone doing on that score??

I have lost 2 lbs. since the beginning of the challenge and really hoping to lose at least 1 more by October 14th. Here's a little bit of info. about myself:

I'm a SAHM to my 2 year old and 7 year old and live in the DFW area of Texas. I started my weight-loss journey in September of 2010 weighing in at 223 lbs. (yes on a 4 ft. 11inch frame). I began losing weight just by cutting down my portion sizes, cutting out soda and snacking, and walking around my subdvision. I joined MFP in January and have lost a total of 94 lbs. so far. My first goal is 120 lb., which puts me at the top of the healthy range for my height, but I'll see what I want to do once I reach that.
    [/quote]

WOW!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!! Keep up the great work
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I suppose I can add more about myself!

My name is Sarah. I have a handsome muscular husband and two rat terriers. I live in the Seattle area.
    I just hit my highest weight ever of 147. I nearly croaked in shame when I hopped on the scale at my doctors visit. I talked to him about it and he made me promise no more fast food.
    I've kept that promise AND I joined MFP to monitor my intake. Two weeks later I'm four pounds down and proud of it!
    I set myself some goals for the next 8 months and hope they (and your support) will keep my on the straight and narrow.

The hard part is that I've always been at least ten pounds overweight and I've never been a healthy weight my entire adult life.

I cant tell you how happy I would be if I could make it to 115 (or lower!) but part of me even wonders if its possible.

I really want to know how long it took some of you to get to that weight. I'm afraid it will take a month to lose just one pound once I get close and I'm hoping that wont discourage me from trying.

Anyway!! I'm glad to be here! I've never seen so many short girls before! I had no idea there were so many of us! I'm always the midget in the group!
  • Ittee
    Ittee Posts: 285
    Options
    it won't let me copy image to make my signature. Could someone the url code without the "img" so that I can just copy that?

Love this challenge and finding a support system that is tailored for us shorties!
  • krm0789
    krm0789 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow short folk! I will not be joining the 3lbs by the 14th challenge because I find going scale-free works best for me. But I would like to join you all on your journey to become fit :)

Since everyone else is giving history, here's a little about me:
    I was always an active, fit, and healthy kid. In 8th grade I discovered Mrs. Fields' cookies at the gas station around the corner. It was all downhill from there. I continued to gain weight throughout high school; I think my max was around 160 lbs but I was avoiding the scale. I eventually cut the cookies out to save $, completely oblivious to my size, & ended up losing around 30 lbs.

Then came college. ****ty food + homesickness + king size snickers bars in the vending machine mere floors away from my bedroom = I packed about 15 lbs on again.

In the spring of my freshman year of college I took a wellness class for gym credits b/c I didn't want to move my *kitten* in an actual gym class. It was miserable (the prof was a coach who would publicly ridicule people for their food logs/calorie intake, demand that we announce our body fat % to the class, etc.) but there were some wakeup calls in there. I started working out & by the fall had lost 35 lbs-- which was actually too much for my preference. I gained & happily remained between 110 - 115 lbs, which seems to be my happy weight.

I kept working out/the weight off for 2 years, then injured myself & was never really able to get back on the wagon. Then I got a job that entailed sitting for ~12 hours per day & stuffed myself silly with fried food because it seemed more filling than the healthy stuff I was bringing. Needless to say the lbs crept back on.

It's been over a year since then & I've made numerous half-hearted attempts to get healthy again. The first time I lost the weight, I had a community of girls on livejournal who all supported one another, and that was fantastic. Unfortunately that group no longer exists, so I'm turning to you all. Here's hoping we can motivate one another back to our happy places :)

HW: ~160 lbs
    LW: 100 lbs
    CW: ~135 lbs
    GW: 115 lbs
  • kelseylou
    kelseylou Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yay! I like my home here. :D I have lost 5 pounds since September 14, but the scale has not moved since then! Hoping that it's just because I've been doing strength training and that I'll see some results soon, though. Refusing to let myself get discouraged!

A little about me... my name is Kelsey and I am about a month and a half away from being 25 years old. I claim that I'm 5'0", but that may be stretching it. I'm a "later in life" college Freshman with no kids of my own, but two nephews that I absolutely adore. I hopped on the scale on September 8th and weighed in at 293 pounds and weighing over 300 pounds was not an option for me. I have been to the gym every day for the last (almost) three weeks now as a result, busting my behind to ensure I get as far away from my high weight as possible! My boyfriend has been incredibly supportive of me and loved me before I ever made the decision to lose weight, and I am grateful for him.

I want to lose a significant amount of weight by May 2012, when my sister and best friend moves back home from Arkansas. I want to surprise her. :) I love everyone I have met in this group, and am excited to meet more!
  • preciousperez
    Options
    Thanks MrsBlobs and Laloquita21 and all my shorties out there that responded to my thread. I was so happy to know that there were more short-petite chicas out there. Love you all and lets get these lbs out of the way together.

Welcome! 4"11 here
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm in! 4' 10 1/2" here. I don't think I'll make the lose 3 lb by Oct 14th challenge though. I've been stuck on a plateau since I quit smoking 2 months ago.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am in!! I am 4'11and 143. I want to get to 120. Glad that we have fellow shorties here! Good luck to all you VC ladies!
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Can I play?:flowerforyou:

I'm 5'1" and want to shrink into my height.

About the Sep 14 to Oct 14 challenge,
    SW: 204.2 9/14
    CW: 201.6 9/26
    Loss so far: 2.6lbs.
  • preciousperez
    Options
    Be positive, no negativity! You can do it.
  • erinmcw
    erinmcw Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'2ish (although a few years ago at the dr office they corrected me and said I'm only 5'1.5") and currently about 170lbs. I have a 15 month old daughter and actually was lighter at this time last year. Breastfeeding and pumping milk at work helped me get to my pre baby weight (170) and even lower, then after she turned 1 I stopped pumping at work, so I had a lunch break back again and started eating fast food at lunch. We just joined the YMCA which has a child watch so I don't even have the excuse to not work out if my husband isn't around to watch our daughter. So far, so good though. Well for the past week at least ;) I started the couch to 5K program and enjoy the Body Pump classes. I've been through all this before, but I'd like to get down to a healthy weight and keep it off! In May my mom and sisters and I are planning a cruise so if I can look hot by then, that would be awesome ;)
  • MissD89
    Options

[/quote]

Hello mom2caelebncasyn, is there another name we could call u? If not, it's fine. Congratulations on ur weight loss of 94 lbs! That is awesome! Keep up the hard work. I know it often gets tough, especially with young children at home but, with our mind set, we'll be at our goal in no time. Having eachother here I'm sure will help the time fly by. (and the pounds!) hehe
  • MissD89
    Options
    I'm in! 4' 10 1/2" here. I don't think I'll make the lose 3 lb by Oct 14th challenge though. I've been stuck on a plateau since I quit smoking 2 months ago.

As long as you're trying, no one can ask more. Don't give up tho, you'll get where u wanna be with persistance. Good luck and welcome !! =)
  • MissD89
    Options
    Yay! I like my home here. :D I have lost 5 pounds since September 14, but the scale has not moved since then! Hoping that it's just because I've been doing strength training and that I'll see some results soon, though. Refusing to let myself get discouraged!

A little about me... my name is Kelsey and I am about a month and a half away from being 25 years old. I claim that I'm 5'0", but that may be stretching it. I'm a "later in life" college Freshman with no kids of my own, but two nephews that I absolutely adore. I hopped on the scale on September 8th and weighed in at 293 pounds and weighing over 300 pounds was not an option for me. I have been to the gym every day for the last (almost) three weeks now as a result, busting my behind to ensure I get as far away from my high weight as possible! My boyfriend has been incredibly supportive of me and loved me before I ever made the decision to lose weight, and I am grateful for him.

I want to lose a significant amount of weight by May 2012, when my sister and best friend moves back home from Arkansas. I want to surprise her. :) I love everyone I have met in this group, and am excited to meet more!

Hi Kelsey, I think it's awesome you have a man who is so supportive. Sometimes guys dont "get it' . Congrats on being so dedicated in ur weight loss goal, determination and persistence is key. Also, great to hear you already met our challenge goal and good luck kicking the extra weight. All us shorties here can be like a family to eachother.
  • MissD89
    Options
    I'm about 5'2ish (although a few years ago at the dr office they corrected me and said I'm only 5'1.5") and currently about 170lbs. I have a 15 month old daughter and actually was lighter at this time last year. Breastfeeding and pumping milk at work helped me get to my pre baby weight (170) and even lower, then after she turned 1 I stopped pumping at work, so I had a lunch break back again and started eating fast food at lunch. We just joined the YMCA which has a child watch so I don't even have the excuse to not work out if my husband isn't around to watch our daughter. So far, so good though. Well for the past week at least ;) I started the couch to 5K program and enjoy the Body Pump classes. I've been through all this before, but I'd like to get down to a healthy weight and keep it off! In May my mom and sisters and I are planning a cruise so if I can look hot by then, that would be awesome ;)

Hello and welcome! It's always good to have something in mind that we know we are working toward (the cruise). I think when I reach my ultimate goal, my man and I will take a little vacay of our own (NO KIDS ALLOWED ) hehe. I have been on a cruise one time in my life and loved it.

How are you liking the c25k program? I have been saying I was gonna start that for a couple weeks now... i need to toughen up , and DO IT.

Good luck to you on ur goals and welcome to the vertical challengers! Hope to continue to hear from you.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I was so excited to find this thread! I'm 5'1" and have been looking for other vertically challenged friends :)