Oatmeal Ideas?

Options
13»

Replies

• elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    for everyone who likes the instant oats because they are quicker... i just pour boiling water over my old fashioned oats and it works well... not quite as mushy as the instant, but still very good. i even do this with my steel cut oats. they're a little harder that way (not too hard and i actually enjoy the texture more), but it only takes a couple minutes instead of 20 to cook them! you can easily add whatever you want to them after that... brown sugar, fresh fruit, cocoa powder, peanut butter, chocolate chips, maple syrup, whatever you want!

I do this too - every week day morning. I use the hot water from the coffee machine, don't even have to boil it.

Bumping for future reference!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip ... I do have steelcut oats at my house, but i always find that I go back to the instant kind just because it already has the "mix-ins" already in it ... but I think I will try the original ones!

You are welcome. And most of the recipes I posted freeze really well too. So you bake once, and you are set for a week or two, depending on the batch size you make.
  • brendalyne
    Options
    Bump!
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Comment for later. I really need to find a way to like oatmeal...
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I add 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1T ground flax seed and 1 T sweetend coconut flakes.

I have also done it with slivered almonds.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i did try the pumpkin with my oatmeal this morning. it was yummy! i used 1/2 C old fashioned oats, 1/4 C pumpkin (canned), a sprinkle of cinnamon, and about 1 t. brown sugar. i'll bet pumpkin pie spice would be a great alternative for the plain cinnamon.
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    Bumping to come back for baked oatmeal recipes - YUM!