Stop eating breakfast. Here's why.

Options

Replies

• Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    So you're insinuating that these people started eating MORE and lost weight. I'm sorry, but I don't buy that.

This is absolutely TRUE in my case... and I'm not alone.
    Was your body in starvation mode due to a long-term severe calorie restriction?
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    no thanks eating breakfast has helped me lose weight, gets my metabolism going and makes it so I dont overeat later.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    So you're insinuating that these people started eating MORE and lost weight. I'm sorry, but I don't buy that.

Not severe calorie restriction, but yes. I never ate breakfast because it made me nauseous. I often skipped lunch. I even sometimes forgot to eat dinner. (My hunger drive is "fritzy). When I did eat, it was a larger than normal meal, but by no means at the level of maintenance (when I get full, I'll also get nauseous). To lose weight, I had to increase my calories and gain for a bit before I started losing.

MFPs biggest use for me is simply reminding me that it's time to eat something.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options

Exactly. That's not what we're talking about here, which is fairly obvious.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Exactly. That's not what we're talking about here, which is fairly obvious.

I took "what we're talking about here," from your post title and first entry. " Stop eating breakfast." No thank you. That's what got me here in the first place.

If your post had been presented as an option, I wouldn't have had any issue with it. Go with what works for you.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Self control is key in weight loss, which includes not eating when you feel hungry, or eating even if you are not, in order to make wise choices by keeping our metabolisms active and staying in calorie goals. So no, we don't always "listen to our bodies," we intelligently guide them.

I.E.- Eat breakfst even if not hungry.

WHY? Please, tell me, WHY do we need to eat breakfast if we aren't hungry? I look forward to hearing what you have to say, since you've spoken so definitively.

The WHY is the metabolism reference I gave. Simply put: Eating in the morning activates your metabolism, which is beneficial in weight loss. The later you eat the more hours of fully activated metabolism you miss out on. It's simply a weight loss strategy. If you don't want to do so that's fine, but you are missing out on easy help. Of course there is research to back up anything someone would want to validate, so even though I do work in the medical field, and have benefitted from this myself, and have had several patients in the past lose weight simply by adding a healthy breakfast to their routine... it's still up to everyone to decide on their own.

Just because you are in the medical field doesn't mean you know *kitten* about nutrition. You are not trained for that. You are not a food scientist.
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You know what?! It's going to sound crazy I know but I eat 600-700 calories for Breakfast *gasp* BECAUSE I know it's what I need for me to continue through out the day.

do what's right for you and forget the rest!

diana
  • elfy66
    elfy66 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I get nauseous when I'm too hungry.
  • JOJOTRAINER
    Options
    When I was in competition, I actually ate a lot more food than I would ever eat now. I would actually eat almost every 2 hours from the minute I woke up until I went to bed. I trained 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night. I lost a lot of weight doing that and of course, I did a lot of cardio. Needless to say, I would drop from 265lbs to 220 in a 15 week period and step on stage with 2% body fat! For those of you that have lost a lot of weight, try putting Preparation-H around your mid-section for about 8 weeks and you will be amazed at how your skin tightens up.

Take care..................... jojo
  • tracy337
    tracy337 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Wow, Really BAD and unhealthy advice!
  • tracy337
    Options
    When I was in competition, I actually ate a lot more food than I would ever eat now. I would actually eat almost every 2 hours from the minute I woke up until I went to bed. I trained 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night. I lost a lot of weight doing that and of course, I did a lot of cardio. Needless to say, I would drop from 265lbs to 220 in a 15 week period and step on stage with 2% body fat! For those of you that have lost a lot of weight, try putting Preparation-H around your mid-section for about 8 weeks and you will be amazed at how your skin tightens up.

Take care..................... jojo

Hmm Could you elaborate on the Prep H? How much, how often, personal experiance or read it somewhere, Source?
  • JOJOTRAINER
    Options
    It's not advice, it is just what i did to compete on the national level. I would never recommend this to anyone.

11459367.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • JOJOTRAINER
    Options
    Personal experience... all the pro bodybuilders would do this for about 8 weeks and some mixed it with bengay for added heat. I would put it on my waist, butt, upper thighs and lower abs then I would wear sweats to bed and in the morning my skin felt real warm. It really does work.
  • tracy337
    Options
    It's not advice, it is just what i did to compete on the national level. I would never recommend this to anyone.

11459367.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Should have quoted lol I was talking about the OP, then saw your post and wondered about the Prep H for tightening skin :)
  • tracy337
    Options
    Personal experience... all the pro bodybuilders would do this for about 8 weeks and some mixed it with bengay for added heat. I would put it on my waist, butt, upper thighs and lower abs then I would wear sweats to bed and in the morning my skin felt real warm. It really does work.

Sweet! Have to bookmark this thread now lol I have lost over 100 so far but still have about 90 or so till my goal weight. Been overweight and morbidly obese for far too many years so I know this is going to be a big issue for me. Thanks!
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I actually do just the opposite... my biggest meal of the day is breakfast and basically I taper my food intake from there. I never miss a meal (I eat 4 meals per day on average). I used to be a competitive bodybuilder and followed the same taper method and was easily able to lose 20 to 30lbs when needed. I think dinner should consist of a small amount of food and definitely don't eat 2 hours before sleep. And, I can't say this enough, drink lots and lots of water whether you are thirsty or not.

That's what works for me! :wink:

I've heard of people having success with this method as well. I'm glad it worked so well for you. One thing I've always believed is, if you want to know how to cut fat, ask a bodybuilder.

Ok. Ask A body builder and you get A answer. Ask another and you get another, ask a third and you get a third. Lots of body builders use IF. But as a general concensous the majority of body builders say consistent even protein intake through out the day is essential even when cutting. Even leangains dude says -

"Technically, training is not completely fasted - that would be detrimental. The pre-workout protein intake, with its stimulatory effect on protein synthesis and metabolism, is a crucial compromise to optimize results. The 8-hour feeding phase starts with the post-workout meal."

I have no problem with IF. I can make a damn good argument that a short term fast boosts your metabolism more than the breakfast boost. But I can also make a damn good argument that eating breakfast aids in your weight loss.

If you like breakfast eat it. It's not going to slow your weight loss down at all. If you don't like breakfast, skip it. It's not going to slow your weight loss down at all. And for the love of God stop arguing about it. That's mostly directed to the breakfast is essential people, but also a few of the IF people who can't seem to let it go.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Wow, Really BAD and unhealthy advice!
    What's unhealthy? Meal timing is a myth that has been disproven time and time again. Total calories are all that matter, it doesn't make a difference if you split your total calories into 100 meals a day, or eat them all in one meal. To the body it's the same thing.

Let's use the car example. Putting 1 gallon of fuel in your car at a time, or filling the entire tank at once does not change how much fuel that car needs to drive 100 miles. All that changes is how often you stop for fuel. The body and eating is the same way, it doesn't matter how often you stop to eat, the body still burns the same amount of calories to function, whether you eat breakfast or skip it and eat a larger meal later.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast and lunch and I look better than you therefore I'll stick to my way Thanks.

Sorry but this is an ignorant statement.

And you don't think this is: "Breakfast is not required. It's Calories in vs Calories out. Again, meal timing is irrelevant."

So, I think I'll eat my weekends worth of food right now...then eat nothing until Monday. According to you, this works, right? I should be fueled and primed for my 6 mile tempo run this afternoon, my push day at the gym tomorrow and my 14 mile run on Sunday - right? No, our bodies are NOT efficient storers of energy.

you are using extremes, significant metabolic slow down ccurs somewhere in the 48hr+ range of complete fasting. not eating for 8-10-16 hrs isn't going to be unhealthy

This is true. Our ancient ancestors (when we were becoming prime specimens) didn't eat regularly throughout the day. They certainly didn't eat breakfast faithfully every morning (and do structured exercise). They would have days with no food and after a good kill they would gorge themselves. Intermittent fasting and/or eating 1-2 meals a day is a more natural way of eating. The HGH (fat-burning hormone that is secreted while you sleep) secretion actually increases five-fold on the second night of fasting. Cortisol levels don't become a factor until more than 40 hours into a fast. (chronic high-intensity cardio also causes cortisol levels to increase. This is a muscle waster).
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The reason I have breakfast whether good or bad is because i need disipline in life....If I have a good sensible breakfast it fills me up and then i tend to choose foods later in the day by thinking what too eat and not just grabbing something that is near by..if that makes sense !
  • brookelyn2030
    brookelyn2030 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'd consider doing a fast in the form of drinking a protein shake as a meal replacement, but skipping a meal altogether is next to impossible for me - my job requires use of my brain, and if I don't fuel my brain, I'm not going to be productive. If I'm not productive, then I'm not going to get paid. If I don't get paid, then I'm going to be homeless. Yeh I think I'll stick with a bowl of cereal and some fruit in the morning haha.