Have Restaurants Gone Mad???

Options

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I must be one of very few that don't like Mc Donald's fries..............the smell alone has always turned my stomach. In fact, I don't like potatoes much at all. YUCK

Freshly cooked McDonald's fries are, TO ME, one of the nicest things i could eat!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I must be one of very few that don't like Mc Donald's fries..............the smell alone has always turned my stomach. In fact, I don't like potatoes much at all. YUCK

Freshly cooked McDonald's fries are, TO ME, one of the nicest things i could eat!

My husband loves them too. I have to roll the window down if he ever gets them because they make me ill, just the smell alone.....

My husband is also one that could live off of baked potatoes, steamed broccoli and steak.
  • HMonsterX
    Options

My husband loves them too. I have to roll the window down if he ever gets them because they make me ill, just the smell alone.....

My husband is also one that could live off of baked potatoes, steamed broccoli and steak.

Take out the broccoli, and me too! :D
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I really want those fricken breadsticks after reading this post! :-(

Luckily Olive Garden is an hour and a half away from me on a heavy traffic road. Only location in 250 miles so it's super busy too. I never go. ever. sigh.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hmm, in Australia we don't really have the phenomenon of chain restaurants, there's a couple but most places are independent. Which means getting calorie info is practically impossible. I think it's good that you even have the option of knowing what you are eating! Hence why I make my own meals, haha.
  • 805_blondie
    805_blondie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This is why I like to cook at home. It's so fun!
    Plus the liquor is cheaper...

Amen to that...
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Luckily Olive Garden is an hour and a half away from me on a heavy traffic road. Only location in 250 miles so it's super busy too. I never go. ever. sigh.
    Just think of it this way...those bread sticks are 150 a pop!!! Most people eat more than 2 and then have their salad or soup, and their entree!
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory/ I mean come on, no wonder I am fat and the obesity rate is soaring in this country.
    well, wtf about a place with "cheesecake" in the name gave you any inclination of having health food. And no, this country and you, need to quit blaming restaurants for obesity. Thats like telling my memaw to quit making fudge because its not healthy and im on a diet. Learn portion sizes, box the rest, or quit eating out. Personally, restaurant dates are rare for me and i happen to like knowing i can get a calorie bomb. Fyi? Its whining like that which eliminated the chilis awesome blossom for the rest of us.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Ever since I've changed my eating habits, I haven't eaten out at restaurants nearly as much as I used to. Really, the only thing you can control is what you make in your own kitchen. That's the best way to eat healthy under a certain calorie limit. And thank goodness I do cook more often as I've saved sooo much money. Win-win!
  • Maryee71
    Maryee71 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    My daughter, who has lost 100#, swears by the" Eat This Not That":drinker: :drinker: books. She never goes out to eat without looking up in one of these books the best choice in the restaurant.
  • rachemn
    Options
    Recently my husband was in the hospital for rib and shoulder pain and due to his history of heart disease, High BP, diabeties and obesity he was given a healthy diet. I went down to the cafeteria and tried to eat healthy as I had just begun losing about ten days prior to this. There was so much bad food I was stunned. Lots of bars and cookies and pies and cakes. Lots of salty options and fatty casseroles. The salad bar was loaded with macaroni and potato salads and iceburg lettuce. where were the steamed veggies, the lean meats, the fresh veggies? This hospital is one of the top 50 heart centers in America. Seems to me that they are trying to get more patients by way of their own cafeteria. :huh:

I work in such a hospital and manage the cafeteria. I've only been there 6 months, but since I've started I've introduced more healthy options and lots of sugar free items as well. Administration has really been pushing us to have more healthy options as well, however the big sellers are the fried foods, fish and chips, the baked macaroni and the mashed potatoes and gravy. Since most of our customers are staff we need to offer a variety of items to satisfy..especially since some residents pretty much live there. It's sad, but the healthy options do not sell nearly as well. So we have to offer something for everyone...it's sad that what people choose are the high carb, high fat and high sugar comfort foods.
  • rachemn
    Options
    [/quote]

I wish food was priced according to how many calories are in it. You pick up an 800 calorie burger from McDonald's, it costs $8.00. Get a 200 calorie salad, only $2.00. A whole large tomato only $0.33 at the market. Nice big cucumbers for $0.34. Wouldn't that be wonderful for those of us trying to lose weight? Even the currently $1.00 mcchicken would then be over $3.00. It would be a great motivator. It would be neat if they could factor in other things too, like trans-fat costs more and protein/fiber/calcium brings the price down a bit, etc. Never gonna happen b/c it's just not the way things work out with supply/demand and various costs, but it would be so nice if it were possible.
    [/quote]

I fricken LOVE this idea! We can only dream, eh?
  • rachemn
    Options

Just think of it this way...those bread sticks are 150 a pop!!! Most people eat more than 2 and then have their salad or soup, and their entree!

Gross! I wouldn't waste the calories! Last time I went I had a cup of soup and 1/2 a salad and asked the server to remove the breadsticks from the table. Carbs bad...protein good. repeat over and over until willpower kicks in! lol
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Today, I went to Old Chicago pizza, and had what I thought to be a healthy(ish) sandwich, the Classic Club. Yeah, it has a small amount of bacon and ham and turkey, and I ordered it without mayo. I came with mayo, and as I was at lunch, and it took a while already, and my blood sugar had tanked, I ate it with the mayo.

Look it up...

Old Chicago - Classic Club Sandwich, 1 Sandwich 829calories, 72grams of carbs, 43grams of fat (!!!!!) 0 protein listed.

NINE HUNDRED FRIGGIN CALORIES FOR A SANDWICH!

Holy cow! and how can there be no protein in that sandwich? boo on them!

I get sandwiches at the cafeteria at work, and even the "healthy" options with fewer calories and fat are bloated with sodium.

The restaurants are not feeding godzilla, they are making food as tasty as possible... to sell more, hence their business. It's a tough battle for those of us eating out for sure!

Not defending the sandwich, but obviously the nutritional in fo is wrong - how could it have ham and turkey and bacon and have no protein. Whcih calls the rest of the info into question.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options

Not defending the sandwich, but obviously the nutritional in fo is wrong - how could it have ham and turkey and bacon and have no protein. Whcih calls the rest of the info into question.

Yep... on the website it's listed as 828 calories/39g protien.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options

I wish food was priced according to how many calories are in it. You pick up an 800 calorie burger from McDonald's, it costs $8.00. Get a 200 calorie salad, only $2.00. A whole large tomato only $0.33 at the market. Nice big cucumbers for $0.34. Wouldn't that be wonderful for those of us trying to lose weight? Even the currently $1.00 mcchicken would then be over $3.00. It would be a great motivator. It would be neat if they could factor in other things too, like trans-fat costs more and protein/fiber/calcium brings the price down a bit, etc. Never gonna happen b/c it's just not the way things work out with supply/demand and various costs, but it would be so nice if it were possible.
    [/quote]

I fricken LOVE this idea! We can only dream, eh?
    [/quote]

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea also! you dont know how many times in the past when i made poor decisions when I was in a pinch, starving and short on time and REALLY strapped on cash. I WANTEd to pick the healthier choice but just couldnt afford it. Now I just go hungry or try to remember to pack something and decided that my health was worth the money. But this would work so much better
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Interesting concept, except a 5# bag of white flour would cost $82.00.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    And it'll really impact on the whole "choice" thing. People will feel they are being forced to eat things. You really can't take away a person's right to choose. All that will happen is people will still eat the high cal stuff, and just cut money elsewhere.

Similar thing happened when they introduced the "Congestion charge" for London, supposedly to ease traffic. It's just as bad now as ever, except people are now paying £5 a day for the privilege of sitting in traffic jams now.

Much better to just educate people.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My daughter, who has lost 100#, swears by the" Eat This Not That":drinker: :drinker: books. She never goes out to eat without looking up in one of these books the best choice in the restaurant.

This is good for chain restaurants but if you go to a local non-chain restaurant you will not find options in "Eat This Not That". My strategy is eat healthy and at home most of the time, exercise regularly, and when dining out enjoy every bite of it. It will all even out in the end.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Interesting concept, except a 5# bag of white flour would cost $82.00.

And so would high calorie foods that are still healthy like nuts and healthy oils. The last thing we need is to pay $2000 for a bottle of olive oil or jar of peanut butter.