C25K Beginners Challenge - Join Now!!!

Options
Hey Guys.

I thought I'd start up a group for people new to running / jogging using the C25K program (couch to 5k). Check it out on google - it's a program that slowly builds up your confidence for running / jogging over a space of 9 weeks.

Week 1 - Complete the following 3 times a week:

Start warming up with a brisk walk 5 mins

Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking

Repeat until you have reached 20 mins

By the end of 9 weeks we'll all be able to run/jog 5k!!

Seems easy enough ... who's in? You've got nothing to lose!

Oh yeah, if you have an iPhone or an android phone download the free app - it will tell you when to start running and walking while listening to your own music!

Replies

• peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I am in, starting it on Sunday. I did day 1 a week ago just to see if I could do it.
  • kymberlin
    kymberlin Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would love to start this challenge. If it's not pouring here i will be starting tonight.
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in, been meaning to start this for ages but keep putting it off - I have done one session a few times but would love the accountability of being in a challenge.

Lucinda
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm in - I can start on Monday morning.
  • Totally in! Been meaning to do it for weeks now!
  • Zogini
    Options
    I would love to join I will start Monday
  • emgs52
    emgs52 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just finished the c25k program on the treadmill 2 weeks ago just recently started it again outside,running outside is way!!! different and harder. good luck everyone..YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have never joined a group on here yet so I am not sure what is expected of me but I started it this week, did 2 days of it.
  • Emwalker3406
    Emwalker3406 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Count me in!!! I tried it yesterday and made it through so I plan to start on Monday.
  • fit4travels
    Options
    Great to see so many of you up for the challenge!

Here are the rules for the entire challenge:

Also check out my blog - the rules are there too :smile:

Too many people have been turned off of running simply by trying to start off too fast. Their bodies rebel, and they wind up miserable, wondering why anyone would possibly want to do this to themselves.
    You should ease into your running program gradually. In fact, the beginners' program is less of a running regimen than a walking and jogging program. The idea is to transform you from couch potato to runner, getting you running three miles (or 5K) on a regular basis in just two months.
    It's easy to get impatient, and you may feel tempted to skip ahead in the program, but hold yourself back. Don't try to do more, even if you feel you can. If, on the other hand, you find the program too strenuous, just stretch it out. Don't feel pressured to continue faster than you're able. Repeat weeks if needed and move ahead only when you feel you're ready.

A few minutes each week
    Each session should take about 20 or 30 minutes, three times a week. That just happens to be the same amount of moderate exercise recommended by numerous studies for optimum fitness. This program will get you fit. (Runners who do more than this amount are doing it for more than fitness, and before long you might find yourself doing the same as well).
    Be sure to space out these three days throughout the week to give yourself a chance to rest and recover between efforts. And don't worry about how fast you're going. Running faster can wait until your bones are stronger and your body is fitter. For now focus on gradually increasing the time or distance you run.

Run for time, or run for distance
    There are two ways to follow this program, to measure your runs by time or by distance. Either one works just as well, choose the option that seems easiest for you to keep track of. If you go with the distance option, and you are not using a track to measure the distances, just estimate. It's not important to have the distances absolutely exact.
    Before setting out, make sure to precede each session with a five-minute warmup walk or jog. Be sure to stretch both before and after.

Week 1 - Workout 1:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    -Alternate 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking
    -Repeat until you have reached 20 mins

Week 1 - Workout 2:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins

Week 1 - Workout 3:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins

Week 2 - Workout 1:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    -Alternate 90 seconds of jogging and 2 minutes of walking

Week 2 - Workout 2:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins

Week 2 - Workout 3:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins

Week 3 - Workout 1:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    Repeat the following twice:
    -Jog 90 secs
    -Walk 90 secs
    -Jog 3 mins
    -Walk 3 mins

Week 3 - Workout 2:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    -Jog 90 secs
    -Walk 90 secs
    -Jog 3 mins
    -Walk 3 mins

Week 3 - Workout 3:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    -Jog 90 secs
    -Walk 90 secs
    -Jog 3 mins
    -Walk 3 mins

Week 4 - Workout 1:
    -Brisk walk 5 min
    -Jog 3 mins
    -Walk 90 secs
    -Jog 5 mins
    -Walk 2 ½ mins
    -Jog 3 mins
    -Walk 90 secs
    -Jog 5 mins

Week 4 - Workout 2:
    -Brisk walk 5 min
    -Jog 3 mins
    -Walk 90 secs
    -Jog 5 mins
    -Walk 2 ½ mins
    -Jog 3 mins
    -Walk 90 secs
    -Jog 5 mins

Week 4 - Workout 3:
    -Brisk walk 5 min
    -Jog 3 mins
    -Walk 90 secs
    -Jog 5 mins
    -Walk 2 ½ mins
    -Jog 3 mins
    -Walk 90 secs
    -Jog 5 mins

Week 5 - Workout 1:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    -Jog 5 mins
    -Walk 3 mins
    -Jog 5 mins
    -Walk 3 mins
    -Jog 5 mins

Week 5 - Workout 2:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    -Jog 8 mins
    -Walk 5 mins
    -Jog 8 mins

Week 5 - Workout 3:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    -Jog 20 mins

Week 6 - Workout 1:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    -Jog 5 mins
    -Walk 3 mins
    -Jog 8 mins
    -Walk 3 mins
    -Jog 5 mins

Week 6 - Workout 2:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    -Jog 10 mins
    -Walk 3 mins
    -Jog 10 mins

Week 6 - Workout 3:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    -Jog 25 mins

Week 7 - Workout 1:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    -Jog 25 mins

Week 7 - Workout 2:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    -Jog 25 mins

Week 7 - Workout 3:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    -Jog 25 mins

Week 8 - Workout 1:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    -Jog 28 mins

Week 8 - Workout 2:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    -Jog 28 mins

Week 8 - Workout 3:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    -Jog 28 mins

Week 9 - Workout 1:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    -Jog 30 mins

Week 9 - Workout 2:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    -Jog 30 mins

Week 9 - Workout 3:
    -Brisk walk 5 mins
    -Jog 30 mins
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys.

I thought I'd start up a group for people new to running / jogging using the C25K program (couch to 5k). Check it out on google - it's a program that slowly builds up your confidence for running / jogging over a space of 9 weeks.

Oh yeah, if you have an iPhone or an android phone download the free app - it will tell you when to start running and walking while listening to your own music!

Good luck people!

Im pretty much a graduate now, i can easily run 5K now because of this program! Before it, i was pooped just walking a mile you mind running it! Just working on Speeding up and getting that 5K time down (36Min 40Secs). Warning, running is highly adictive iv found out, and you may find yourselves having fun ;)

Happy Running
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys.

Good luck people!

Im pretty much a graduate now, i can easily run 5K now because of this program! Before it, i was pooped just walking a mile you mind running it! Just working on Speeding up and getting that 5K time down (36Min 40Secs). Warning, running is highly adictive iv found out, and you may find yourselves having fun ;)

Happy Running
  • elz22
    elz22 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Im up for the challenge.. Never have been much of a jogger/runner... But would love to get there.
  • Lesley2800
    Options
    I started this week, tonight will be my Day 2. I am doing it on my treadmill...I read to put your incline at 1% so it is more like outside. Actually signed up for my first 5K on Thanksgiving...I won't quite be done with the program by then, but I am super exicted about it. I'm running it with my cousins and husband...even if I have to walk, I will finish it! :)
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    I just started this morning doing the C25K Program. I am so glad I found this Challenge! I was searching for some others that might be wanting to do this with me. YAY! I walked my first 5K about 2 wks ago. It was fun and I would like to do it again next year. Next yr I would like to walk /jog it.

I am not techie by ANY stretch of the imagination so I just set the stop watch on my HRM and also set the Timer to beep at me at each minute. No ipod or App stuff here - just my thinker and my HRM.

I did the 5 min. warm up
    I did 4 of the 8 walk & jog intervals - each time I jogged up our hill and then would do the recovery on the way down..
    I did the 5 min. cool down too.
    All in all a good 25 min. workout and I am proud of myself for getting it started and doing "the hill".
  • alirae75
    Options
    Would love to join this group! I even have a race near the end of November that I was wanting to begin training for.
  • rildev03
    rildev03 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I downloaded the app yesterday and started it this am. I tried it before and made it to week 4 before stopping related to the summer heat (bad excuse I know). I just enjoy the outdoors more.
  • tammylwv
    tammylwv Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have the app and have actually wanted to do this for a long time but just never have. How are you all gonna do it, outside or on treadmill?
  • ZoeBZJ
    ZoeBZJ Posts: 12
    Options
    Would love to joined planned on starting Monday anyway. Anyone please feel free to add me as a friend also. :flowerforyou:
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm soo glad that I found this hread. I started last night with Day 1 I've been putting it off of r a couple months. I just finally did it. I survived!!! I'm in. Good Luck everyone. Day 2 for me is Sunday!! I can't wait.