Replies

• p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    bad news. google it or use the search button here. its a pretty hot topic
  • heatherjames84
    heatherjames84 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have been told to NEVER do this diet....you are basically starving yourself because you can only have 500 calories...
  • harrisburglpn
    Options
    http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml\

HCG Worthless as Weight-Loss Aid
    Stephen Barrett, M.D.
    Human chorionic gonadotrophin (HCG) is a hormone found in the urine of pregnant women. More than 50 years ago, Dr. Albert T. Simeons, a British-born physician, contended that HCG injections would enable dieters to subsist comfortably on a 500-calorie-a-day diet. He claimed that HCG would mobilize stored fat; suppress appetite; and redistribute fat from the waist, hips, and thighs [1]. There is no scientific evidence to support these claims [2-13]. Moreover, a 500-calorie (semi-starvation) diet is likely to result in loss of protein from vital organs, and HCG can cause other adverse effects. Gabe Mirkin, M.D., has noted:

At one time, HCG was the most widespread obesity medication administered in the United States. Some doctors liked it because it assured them of a steady clientele. Patients had to come in once a week for an injection [14].

HCH is also marketed in sublingual (under the tongue) form. No scientific tests of sublingual HCG have been published, but it is safe to assume that it would be no more effective than injected HCG.

In 2009, the American Society of Bariatric Physicians issued a position statement which stated:

Numerous clinical trials have shown HCG to be ineffectual in producing weight loss. HCG
    injections can induce a slight increase in muscle mass in androgen-deficient males. The diet used
    in the Simeons method provides a lower protein intake than is advisable in view of current
    knowledge and practice. There are few medical literature reports favorable to the Simeons
    method; the overwhelming majority of medical reports are critical of it. Physicians employing
    either the HCG or the diet recommended by Simeons may expose themselves to criticism from
    other physicians, from insurers, or from government bodies [15].

Government Regulation
    In 1976, the FTC ordered the Simeon Management Corporation, Simeon Weight Clinics Foundation, Bariatrics Management Corporation, C.M. Norcal, Inc., and HCG Weight Clinics Foundation and their officers to stop claiming that their HCG-based programs were safe, effective, and/or approved by the FDA for weight-control. Although the order did not stop the clinics from using HCG, it required that patients who contract for the treatment be informed in writing that:

THESE WEIGHT REDUCTION TREATMENTS INCLUDE THE INJECTION OF HCG, A DRUG WHICH HAS NOT BEEN APPROVED BY THE FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION AS SAFE AND EFFECTIVE IN THE TREATMENT OF OBSITY OR WEIGHT CONTROL. THERE IS NO SUBSTANTIAL EVIDENCE THAT HCG INCEASES WEIGHT LOSS BEYOND THAT RESULTING FROM CALORIC RESTRICTION, THAT IT CAUSES A MORE ATTRACTIVE OR "NORMAL" DISTRIBUTION OF FAT, OR THAT IT DECREASES THE HUNGER AND DISCOMFORT ASSOCIATED WITH CALORIE-RESTRICTIVE DIETS [16].

Since 1975, the FDA has required labeling and advertising of HCG to state:

HCG has not been demonstrated to be effective adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. There is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or "normal" distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets.

Promotion By Kevin Trudeau
    Negative studies and government action reduced the use of HCG injections for weight control close to zero. However, promotion by infomercial king Kevin Trudeau has caused their use to increase. His 2007 book, The Weight Loss Cure They Don't Want You to Know About, claims that "an absolute cure for obesity was discovered almost fifty years ago" but was "suppressed" by the AMA, the FDA, and "other medical establishments throughout the world." Trudeau further claims that until now, "this miracle weight loss breakthrough has been hidden from the public so that drug companies can make billions of dollars selling their expensive drug treatments and surgical procedures for obesity." The alleged cure consists of HCG injections plus 50 to 60 required and recommended do's and don'ts [16].

In 2007, the FTC charged Kevin Trudeau with violating a court order by misrepresenting the contents of the book [17]. In infomercials, Trudeau falsely claimed that the book's weight-loss plan is easy to do, can be done at home, and ultimately allows readers to eat whatever they want. Previous FTC action had led to a court order banning from using infomercials to sell any product, service, or program except for books and other publications The order specified that he not misrepresent the content of the books. In 2008, the Court ruled that Trudeau had violated the previous order and ordered him to pay more than $37 million.

References
    Simeons ATW. The action of chorionic gonadotrophin in the obese. Lancet 2:946-947, 1954.
    Asher WL, Harper HW. Effect of human chorionic gonadotrophin on weight loss, hunger and feeling of well-being. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 26:211–218, 1973.
    Bosch B and others. Human chorionic gonadotrophin and weight loss. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. South African Medical Journal 77:185–189, 1990.
    Carne S. The action of chorionic gonadotrophin in the obese. Lancet 2:1282–1284, 1961.

Craig LS and others. Chorionic gonadotrophin in the treatment of obese women. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 12:230–234, 1963.
    Frank BW. The use of chorionic gonadotrophin hormone in the treatment of obesity. A double-blind study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 14:133–136, 1964.
    Greenway FL, Bray GA. Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity: a critical assessment of the Simeons method. West Journal of Medicine 127:461–463, 1977.
    Shetty KR, Kalkhoff RK. Human chorionic gonadotrophin (HCG) treatment of obesity. Archives of Internal Medicine 137:151-155, 1977.
    Lebon P. Treatment of overweight patients with chorionic gonadotrophin: follow-up study. Journal of the American Geriatric Society 14:116–125, 1966.
    Lijesen GK and others. The effect of human chorionic gonadotrophin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity by means of the Simeons therapy: a criteria-based meta-analysis. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 49:237–243, 1995.
    Miller R, Schneiderman LJ. A clinical study of the use of human chorionic gonadotrophin in weight reduction. Journal of Family Practice 4:445–448, 1977.
    Stein MR and others. Ineffectiveness of human chorionic gonadotrophin in weight reduction: a double-blind study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 29:940–948, 1976.
    Young RL and others. Chorionic gonadotrophin in weight control. A double-blind crossover study. JAMA 236:2495–2497, 1976.
    Mirkin G. Getting Thin. Boston: Little Brown & Co., 1983.
    American College of Bariatric Physicians. Position statement: Use of HCG in the treatment of obesity. Approved Dec 2009.
    In the matter of Simeon Management Corporation et al. Order, opinion etc., in regard to alleged violation of Secs. 5 and 12 of the Federal Trade Commission Act. Docket 8996. Complaint, Oct 15, 1974. Final Order April 29, 1976.
    Trudeau K. The Weight Loss Cure They Don't Want You to Know About. Alliance Publishing, 2007.
    FTC: Marketer Kevin Trudeau violated prior court order. FTC news release, Sept 14, 2007.
    This article was revised on May 10, 2010.
  • sote21
    Options
    I have been on it for 6 days and I have lost 5 lbs so far. I love it! The first day was hard and all I wanted was junk to eat. But I keep reminding myself of my end goal and I can keep on track. So far so good. Good luck!!! Im using the hcg drops from gnc.
  • New_Hope
    Options
    Go to the search feature and type in HCG. There have been previous posts on this. Lots of heated discussion and hateful comments.

In the mean time, please try not to take some of the comments you're about to receive, to heart. Some people are very brutal (or at least perceived that way).
  • siabevis
    Options
    Dont believe the hype.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Yep. You will get plenty I'm sure.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    No good research backing it and not healthy. Are you going to do it forever? We don't diet, we make changes for life.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Cutting a limb off is usually cheaper, more effective and your weight will stay off.
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Anorexia DOES work for weight loss, but its generally frowned upon
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Lemme put it this way....I've seen patients die using it. Does that sound good to you?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Go to the search feature and type in HCG. There have been previous posts on this. Lots of heated discussion and hateful comments.

In the mean time, please try not to take some of the comments you're about to receive, to heart. Some people are very brutal (or at least perceived that way).

Is it hateful to warn someone that the "diet" they are considering is based on starvation and an expensive, not FDA approved drug synthesized from pregnant women's urine? There has never been any repeatable scientific proof that HCG prevents muscle loss from starving, reduces appetite, or helps weight loss in any way. You can certainly lose weight eating 500 calories a day without the drops, you'll just be hungry and unhealthy along the way. Why starve yourself when you can easily and healthfully lose weight by eating more and exercising?
  • akdouglass
    Options
    I did the actual diet -- not the sublingual nonsense. I had to inject myself eeeeevery morning for over a month. I lost ten pounds of body fat, which is not nearly as much as they say you will lose. Although, I guess your loss depends on how much your body fat % is to start. Anyway, I lost ten pounds and have not gained it back. Not even an ounce. The diet, however, was awful. I wouldn't recommend it. I would say you're much better off just doing a regular diet and exercise program. In the end, you'll feel much better than I did.
  • New_Hope
    Options

Is it hateful to warn someone that the "diet" they are considering is based on starvation and an expensive, not FDA approved drug synthesized from pregnant women's urine? There has never been any repeatable scientific proof that HCG prevents muscle loss from starving, reduces appetite, or helps weight loss in any way. You can certainly lose weight eating 500 calories a day without the drops, you'll just be hungry and unhealthy along the way. Why starve yourself when you can easily and healthfully lose weight by eating more and exercising?

I wasn't talking about the comments that are meant to help the person. I was referring to the comments that call the person stupid and attack them. Some people really have no idea what they're doing and it's a bad idea to go around treating them like complete morons. When I first started dieting, I thought 500 calories was perfectly acceptable because of the fact that I was so fat (after all that's what they put my brother on). I didn't know at the time it would lead to me becoming sick.
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    I did the HCG diet. I lost 30 lbs in 45 days or something like that. It worked - I was not hungry - ever. However, once the program was over, I gained those 30 lbs back plus another 20 lbs. Most of that was my own fault but what I took away from that experience was that it is a fad diet like everything else I had done. The only way I am going to lose weight is to really change what I am doing. I have to eat better, eat less and exercise more. It is a simple remedy but such a hard one to conquer.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do. Feel free to message me with any questions that you may have about the diet. I still have all my material and can help answer the unknown's if you would like.
  • ponygirl518
    Options
    I know a couple of people who have used the drops and lost a lot of weight, but it is a severely restricted calorie diet, you only consume 500 calories a day. So, one cannot help but conclude that consuming 500 calories a day alone would cause weight loss. As with all new diet pills and products, I personally find them a little scarey, cause it seems when it comes out it is always "the most wonderful product", and then on occasion, sometimes after a couple of years, we find out that the product has been causing damage to some vital organ in our body, usually the heart. Bottom line here is the fact that you can't stay on the drops forever, and certainly can't maintain on 500 calories a day, so you would have to return to normal food intake. I have decided that the only way to lose weight and keep it off is to eat healthy with portion control, and try to get some type of exercise daily. It is tempting to try and find "the magic pill", but I don't think it exists, nor do I think it ever will. Kind of like the old story of the tortoise and the hare, hey? Slow and steady will eventually win the race! Good luck to you in your weight loss efforts!!
  • KathyInBC
    KathyInBC Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been doing homeopathic HCG since March, taking the summer off and breaks in between rounds as instructed by Dr. Simeon. I am down 68 lbs and weigh what I did in grade 9 30 years ago. I have tried every weight loss program, pill and exercise out there - nothing works like this. I foster a 2 year old and a 1 year old and have the energy, at 43, to keep up with them all day. I am losing inches in all the right places, including my thighs and arms, and not shrinking my bust down to saggy pockets. I start a 40D and just got fit for a new bra this week - a 36DD. You can tell me it doesn't work but my scale tells me different. I've had 8 friends and family members join the diet because of watching me. For the first time in my life, I feel like I can be a normal healthy weight.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Starving yourself/malnurishing your body will never work for long term results. Its taken me over a year and a half to lose 133 lbs- but I am doing it without harming my body. I haven't lost muscle- I'm turning into an athlete, doing things that I never imagined I could do (run a 10K, workout hard and with purpose, shopping in non-plus size stores, ect), and have a lot of energy. Literally, I can't imagine living on 500 cals a day- not worth it to me. Not worth doing a fad diet, just to go back to the way you were before and gain it all back. Slowly make the changes, and get on a path to a healthier life. I've come to figure out that losing weight is more mental than physical. If you don't do any of the mental changes and work- you will be back at square one.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    It has been proven that you don't lose weight because of the drops. You lose weight and not just fat but vital muscle because you are starving yourself. I have a friend who lost 50 lbs with this diet and she looks horrible! Flabby, pale, sickly and now she's trying to lose the remaining 20 on her own but can't because she severely messed up her metabolism doing the HCG drops. I have lost 80 lbs with good ol fashioned diet and exercise and look and feel great! Slow and steady wins the race, sounds like such a cliche but it's the honest to god truth!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been doing homeopathic HCG since March, taking the summer off and breaks in between rounds as instructed by Dr. Simeon. I am down 68 lbs and weigh what I did in grade 9 30 years ago. I have tried every weight loss program, pill and exercise out there - nothing works like this. I foster a 2 year old and a 1 year old and have the energy, at 43, to keep up with them all day. I am losing inches in all the right places, including my thighs and arms, and not shrinking my bust down to saggy pockets. I start a 40D and just got fit for a new bra this week - a 36DD. You can tell me it doesn't work but my scale tells me different. I've had 8 friends and family members join the diet because of watching me. For the first time in my life, I feel like I can be a normal healthy weight.

No one said it doesn't work, what they are saying is that it is not healthy. It is very similar to a diet of an anorexic. Most liekly a large % of the 68 lbs you lost actually came from muscle, not just fat.

Here is a good reference, if you have over 100 lbs to lose you can lose more than 2 lbs/week safely, that being said it is best to set a realistic safe weekly loss goal and:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -20 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

The reasons: the less you have to lose the less fat stores you have to pull from. The less fat you have to pull from the less your body wants to take any. So if your deficit is too large given your stats you will burn a large % of lean muscle. Doing the above also helps set you up for maintenance without a large increase in caloric intake all at once.
This discussion has been closed.