bye bye red meats

Options

Replies

• Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    For all those who are convinced you need red meat I recommend that you watch Forks over knives. You can get all the nutrition that meat gives you from other foods. You do not need it.

You can not get Vitamin B12 from any other source other than animal products.

I was so deficient in Vitamin B12 when I was vegetarian that I could barely get out of bed. And I am one that does not like to take a lot of supplements, when I can just get what I need from my food.

Marmite is full of B12. It's only strict vegans who don't eat yeast who have any problem with that.

Marmite only contains B12 because it's fortified with it. Otherwise it's an excellent source of salt and modest amounts of other B vitamins. It's high in glutamic acid (naturally occuring MSG) and is a known exitotoxin. Personally, wouldn't touch the stuff.

To the OP, like all of us here on MFP, you'll make your own decisions, but I must say I am mighty impressed your Grandma is 97 years old and you're thinking red meat might be the cause of the stroke. I don't know ... maybe it's because she's at the extreme of human longevity? My best wishes for her speedy recovery.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For all those who are convinced you need red meat I recommend that you watch Forks over knives. You can get all the nutrition that meat gives you from other foods. You do not need it.

I was so deficient in Vitamin B12 when I was vegetarian that I could barely get out of bed. And I am one that does not like to take a lot of supplements, when I can just get what I need from my food.

Marmite is full of B12. It's only strict vegans who don't eat yeast who have any problem with that.

Or you could always take a vitamin supplement.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    As I enter this thread, I do an about face and walk back out for I do not wish to get into an arguement with the anti-animal eaters that are abundant on this site.

There is just a no-win situation with this.

/closes door on way out

Hey! You didn't hold it for me! Rude! ;-)
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    As I enter this thread, I do an about face and walk back out for I do not wish to get into an arguement with the anti-animal eaters that are abundant on this site.

There is just a no-win situation with this.

/closes door on way out

Hey! You didn't hold it for me! Rude! ;-)

Wait for me!
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Wal-Mart has groceries? Sorry, a bit off topic, but I've never heard of Wal-Mart having food! *amilivingunderarock?*

Seriously?? Walmart's in Texas are massive and include a fully loaded grocery store, furniture (kitchen tables, living room furniture, etc), outdoor section. You can find almost anything in Walmart!
  • curvykent
    curvykent Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use the Jennie-O turkey products in place of red meat. I use them for tacos, spaghetti, even meatloaf.

I love seafood. I eat it a lot. If you're not sure about fish try starting out with tilapia. It's mild and easy to prepare. You can do it in the oven or the grill.

Salmon is delicious but not everyone can handle it's strong flavor. Swordfish is good too but a little higher in mercury so you don't want to eat it often. Fish can range in flavor from mild to strong, and can be light and flaky or meaty. You just have to find what your preference is.

Good luck! And good job taking action.
  • noneya2010
    Options
    Walmarts (here at least) are stocked with a nice variety of hummus (I didn't realize until recently there were so many varieties from herb hummus to black olive hummus, etc. All the ones I have had are very good, including the regular/plain one.) I find them by the deli section.

I love fish - all fish. I will wrap it in foil, drizzle with a few drops of olive or canola oil (so it doesn't burn to the foil), sprinkle with seasonings (you can use all sorts of them from lemmon pepper to paprika, etc.). Sometimes I will squeeze a lemon slice or two over them too. Put them on the grill for about 13 minutes and yumm-O!! If you live up north and don't grill much, just toss them in a baking dish (spraying your dish with non stick spray or oil) and season and cook.

I can't speak for replacements for red meat b/c I'm a huge meat and protein eater, but I would imagine if you are trying to omit meats you will need other forms of high protein foods such as eggs, cheeses, and greek yogurt, along with the beans, etc.
    Maybe you can get some boca burgers -- they are not bad and make a pretty good 'hamburger.'
  • noneya2010
    Options
    personally, and no offence but i am not going to sit here and argue/defend my reasoning.
    It's my choice that I have chosen and it's what *I* feel is right for me. I was asking for suggestions as far as the new menu goes. Not for debating about my decision.

I agree! Everyone eats differently and we all need to do what works best for us. I thought some of the posts were pretty harsh and out of line.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I don't eat red meat because it makes me ill. Doctor recommended I cut it out and now I eat chicken seven ways to Sunday.

The two things I have to ensure I get enough of w/o red meat are protein and iron. Chicken and turkey cover the protein, along with other things like almonds, eggs, cheese, etc.

Iron in green veggies like broccoli, and I usually eat a bowl of Raisin Bran at the end of the day to top up my iron if I'm low.

Meal ideas

We use ground chicken or turkey anywhere that you would have used hamburger. Meal loaf, burgers, spaghetti sauce, etc. The taste is milder and a bit sweeter, but we're all used to it now.

There is no substitute for a steak, and boy, do I miss that, but grilled chicken isn't bad. My wife also uses chicken to make tacos, fajitas, casseroles, dumplings, etc. Lots of on-line recipes that use chicken, and all cuts, so if cost is an issue, get some ideas from the 'net.

Once in a while I'll grill a steak or real burgers for my wife and son, and I'll grill chicken along side it. They still enjoy it and it doesn't make them ill.

Good luck with your food choices, and as one who is red-meat free, not by choice, you can do it, and you will adapt!
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    personally, and no offence but i am not going to sit here and argue/defend my reasoning.
    It's my choice that I have chosen and it's what *I* feel is right for me. I was asking for suggestions as far as the new menu goes. Not for debating about my decision.

I agree! Everyone eats differently and we all need to do what works best for us. I thought some of the posts were pretty harsh and out of line.

I'm pretty sure the posts were harsh based on the reasoning behind the claim, not the claim itself. Let's make a quick example of it here:

1) I'm deciding to not eat red meat anymore

^----Ok, good for you.

2) I'm deciding to not eat red meat anymore because it's unhealthy

^----Red flag.

Making false claims is the problem, not the choice of cutting out meat.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    oh, man- baked/broiled fish is my favorite. I hate fried fish. Frying it totally obliterates the flavor.

It's super easy to do as well. Depending on the flavor you are looking for rinse your fish, sprinkle it with olive oil, spices (I like throwing some freshly grated Parmesan on there too, and broil on high until the flesh is flaky.

That's why fried fish is my favorite way to eat it. ;)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure the posts were harsh based on the reasoning behind the claim, not the claim itself. Let's make a quick example of it here:

1) I'm deciding to not eat red meat anymore

^----Ok, good for you.

2) I'm deciding to not eat red meat anymore because it's unhealthy

^----Red flag.

Making false claims is the problem, not the choice of cutting out meat.

Exactly. :drinker:
  • harmonysdream
    harmonysdream Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision, even if I don't agree with your reasoning. I could never cut red meats out of my diet. Life would not be worth living for me without the occasional steak. It's my favorite food and always will be.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time digesting red meat for whatever reason. I'm not a vegetarian, and never was one for very long. I limit my red meat consumption.

I pan cook my fish with non-stick spray. I marinate it in lime juice and minced garlic first if it's a thick piece of fish. Lime juice "cooks" the fish so you might find your fish has turned white. If the fish is thin I just put Port Royal Fish Fry seasoning on it and throw that into the pan. Have some leafy greens to keep your iron up, hun.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Isn't there a cholesterol issue with red meat? (I have low cholesterol, so I've never paid attention)

I buy a quarter beef every other year or so from a friend who grows them, so no hormones, grass fed not corn fed (makes them fat), barley finished (tastes like beer), and lived their entire lives less than 5 miles from my house.

An alternative strategy may be to have turkey burger instead of hamburger, and sirloin steak (the best one health wise) once in a while as a treat. Venison and elk is really good. Still red though.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    We didn't eat read meat for years...until our pediatrician informed me that my two son's were anemic. They have ridges in their toe nails. I had no clue. We still eat ground turkey and chicken, but I have been adding lean red meats back because of that.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Wal-Mart has groceries? Sorry, a bit off topic, but I've never heard of Wal-Mart having food! *amilivingunderarock?*
    Yes!!!

I thought all Walmarts carried foods now. Both of the ones near me are Super Centers with a full grocery store.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I make quiche at least once a week. The eggs provide great protein and you can use sliced potatoes for a base instead of pie crust. For 4 portions, I usually use about 6 eggs, a handful of chopped broccoli, some onion and red peppers, whatever spices I can find that sound good that day, a splash of milk and sprinkle it with about 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. I do sometimes use the pilbury pie crusts which add a ton of calories, but are super easy!

One thing to watch out for if you are cutting back the red meat is the soy meat replacer products. I started using them for a few months 3 or 4 times a week, but then found out that soy can be really bad for women. Too much soy can cause hormone fluctuations. I was already at a higher risk for them and they just made the problem worse. I haven't touched soy in close to a year now and my hormones are back on track.

We still eat red meat once a week or so, but I would love to cut it out. Ground turkey takes the place of it in most things and I have started using pork sausage in our pasta sauce. Lots of luck to you and your family!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Isn't there a cholesterol issue with red meat? (I have low cholesterol, so I've never paid attention)

I buy a quarter beef every other year or so from a friend who grows them, so no hormones, grass fed not corn fed (makes them fat), barley finished (tastes like beer), and lived their entire lives less than 5 miles from my house.

An alternative strategy may be to have turkey burger instead of hamburger, and sirloin steak (the best one health wise) once in a while as a treat. Venison and elk is really good. Still red though.

You're lucky to have a quality beef source. Grass fed beef has an excellent fat profile--omega 3 almost on par with wild caught salmon, and lower fat overall than feedlot/corn fed beef. Like grass fed beef, game animals like deer, elk, moose, etc., also haven't had the antibiotics for growth and disease treatment needed in the crowded conditions of CAFO.
  • For all those who are convinced you need red meat I recommend that you watch Forks over knives. You can get all the nutrition that meat gives you from other foods. You do not need it.

Marmite only contains B12 because it's fortified with it. Otherwise it's an excellent source of salt and modest amounts of other B vitamins. It's high in glutamic acid (naturally occuring MSG) and is a known exitotoxin. Personally, wouldn't touch the stuff.

To the OP, like all of us here on MFP, you'll make your own decisions, but I must say I am mighty impressed your Grandma is 97 years old and you're thinking red meat might be the cause of the stroke. I don't know ... maybe it's because she's at the extreme of human longevity? My best wishes for her speedy recovery.
    I said ANOTHER stroke. this wasnt her first. and she isnt the only one in the family with a history of them. i never said red meat was the cause of her stroke either...