40+ Workout Challenge (October)

Options
Are you 40 and older and need a good workout regime to help lose those pesky pounds? After doing some research, I found some helpful tips that I am turning into a monthly challenge.

* 6 small meals throughout the day with lunch being the biggest meal.
This will help our metabolisms be more efficient. Of course eating healthy meals is the best way to go. Let us know what snacks and meals are working best for you and what is giving you the best energy.

*60 minutes of working out for 6 days of the week.
Mainly cardio. This can be broken down such as two 30 minute workouts, one in the morning, one in the evening. Or you can do a 40 min./20 min. schedule, etc. Any type of workout is game if you get at least 12-20 min. of being in your target heart rate zone. Bonus points to those who are doing interval intensity training which helps boost metabolism even more.

*20 minutes of strength training (ST) at least 3 times a week. ***This is during your 60 minutes*** per day, not in addition to. This means that on the days of ST, you can do 40 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of ST or do a workout that includes both at the same time such as a kettlebell, medicine ball or a resistance band cardio workout.

*Check in after each workout to stay accountable.
Let us know what kind of workout you are doing and how this schedule is working for you. We would love to hear from you if you have some success on this challenge or if you need support to get you through the challenge.

This challenge officially starts tomorrow. I hope you will join me!

Replies

• mspix
    mspix Posts: 153
    Options
    I'm in! Thank you for the challenge! I am hoping the challenge will help me to increase the ST on my schedule. Currently, I average 40-60 minutes a day of cardio, so my challenge will be to let go of 20 of those 'quick calorie burn' minutes so I can increase those muscles that I am sure are hiding there somewhere!

6 small meals a day has been key for me. My diary is open, anyone who wants a look, feel free. I don't believe in deprivation, so I do the math everyday and make room for those things I really want. You may notice that I am a fan of red wine and dark chocolate (those are supplements, my friends! :tongue: )

Looking forward to some new ideas, tips and tricks!
  • sherrillg
    sherrillg Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm in too!! Love a challenge. For me the cardio is a piece of cake...just got to make myself do the ST...Now I have a REASON! :-) I usually stick to about 6 feedings a day! But i will have to work on checking in each day...sometimes it gets to be so time consuming!! LOL Feel free to friend me, then you can pester me if I miss a day!! Thanks all...it's great getting to know you!
  • guessgigi
    guessgigi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm in too! Need the challenge. Thanks!!
  • mspix
    Options
    I picked up a dvd at Walmart for $3 the other day, Golds Gym 'Muffin Top Meltdown' (title made me laugh). Tried it for the first time today, it is a great, basic workout with no fancy moves but really gets the heart rate up! My thighs, glutes and abs are going to feel this one tomorrow!

Day 1, part 1: 20 Cardio/10 ST
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Count me in - I've been slacking for the past 1-2 months, but really want to get back to 60 min/day of exercise - that's what I seem to need to do to lose weight. Now that the weather is finally cooler and I can go out and run, I should be able to do it - just need a little push like this challenge :-)

So far for 8/1 - 32 min running, will get another 30 min of something later today.
  • guessgigi
    Options
    I started the Leslie Sansone 4 mile super challenge for 60 minutes to help build up my endurance. 379 calories burned for 60 minutes. I felt really good afterward for a 40 year old who hasn't exercised in a while. :wink: :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • fitnfun1
    fitnfun1 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It is so great to have you all with me! Today I did a 58 minute bike ride and then 10 min. of kettlebell. I did not do the 6 small meals so tomorrow I will be working on that.

Terri - That title is a riot! It's amazing how DVD's can be found for $3 now. There literally is no real good excuses anymore.

Guessgigi - Great start! I started with Leslie a few years back when I was out of practice for working out. She is a great starting point.

srp2011 - Did you get your other 30 min. in?

Sherrilg - How'd you do today?

Thanks everyone for joining me. This is going to be fun!
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    My posts are not updating on the friend section. I will check in each day though. :O)
  • sherrillg
    Options
    Meals were not my friend today. Too many things to do and the twins wanted pizza...I didn't eat. Will do better there tomorrow.

Exercise - about 90 mins of walking but not enough to get my heart rate up - back to the Y tomorrow (actually...i'm going to go swing my kettlebell while watching tv for a bit :-))

Water - easy peasy! LOVE water!

Good luck everyone!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Didn't quite get to 60 minutes today, but did add another 10 minutes of walking, plus 50 squats, 30 lunges, and 25 pushups on top of the 5K this morning. Did pretty well on food today - I don't do 6 official meals, but I kind of 'graze' with snacks throughout the day (some days healthier than others :-) ).
  • mspix
    Options
    GuessGiGi: Great start! I have heard good things about Leslie Sansone.

FitnFun: Nice ride. Bicycling is something I am interested in picking up again. It has been YEARS since I rode.

Sherrillg: Some days are just more challenging, eh? One day at a time. 90 minutes of walking, is still great, regardless of your heart rate. You are still moving more than those that never got off their couch ;)

srp: Sounds like a great day, to me! I am impressed with the squats/lunges. Those two things are mine sworn enemies, lol.

For myself, I did not add additional 'official workouts', however I spent 2 hours scrubbing walls, so I did count it as I worked up a pretty good sweat. My daughter challenged me to a 'Wii-off' last night, which induced some sweating, too. The wall ball game is a lot of fun!
    Sunday is typically my day off, so probably won't log exercise but will be mindful of my menu choices!
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    Checking in for Day 2. I did a 20 min. kettlebell workout, 10 min. of walking and 30 min. of cardio resistance band workout. I'm exhausted, but happy. I only made it to 5 meals today so I definitely need to remember to fit in another meal.

How did you do today?
  • mspix
    Options
    Started the week with my favorite, Turbo Jam! The workout I chose has 40 minutes of cardio, 5 minutes of band work. My plan will be to do an additional 15 minutes of ST this evening.
  • guessgigi
    Options
    I did my 60 minute work out again with Leslie Sansome but I divided it up in 2miles. One in am and one in pm. She uses the band during the 2 mile walk for ST. As far as food goes I think I did pretty good. Tuesday, Here I come!! :wink:
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    I forgot to post last night. I ended up doing 20 min. Turbo Jam/20 min. Kettlebell and then 20 min. of ST. I ended up with 5 meals instead of 6 so I need to fit one more in and possible make one meal smaller. I did feel hungry in the afternoon, which I normally don't so the smaller meals does change your appetite. I hope this is a good sign.

guessgigi - Doing well!

Terri - I hope you were able to do your extra ST. It has been challenging to stick it in since I too love cardio, but I am finding some ST DVD's that make it more fun. Or simply watching tv while doing some weights works too.

srp - How are you doing?
  • mspix
    Options
    I did not get in my extra ST yesterday, too many people/distractions at home in the evenings. I really have to try to get my workouts in the morning as that is when I have the house mostly to myself. With the days getting shorter, it is going to become more challenging to sneak in a walk or run in the evenings, too. I *did* get 20 minutes in today, though! I used my 10 minute solution dvd, using resistance bands. Added to the 20 minute TJ, and 5 minutes of hula hooping (THAT will make you sweat, holy COW!) I think today looks good. I am going to try for another 10-20 minutes of cardio this evening.

Gigi: Congrats on getting in your workouts!

FitnFun: Good for you on getting in the ST! Smaller meals will change your appetite (at least it has mine), you are basically re-training your system on when it is hungry.
  • sherrillg
    Options
    Oh, my! Told you checking in would be a challenge for me!

Sunday: ST - 50min; walk/run intervals - 30min; Kettlebell - 10min; hulahoop - 15min
    Monday: very brisk walk - 40min; kettlebell - 10min; hulahoop - 20min
    Tuesday: hulahoop - 20min; kettlebell - 10min (missed my walk because work was way crazy! it happens)

Meals are going well. Sometimes feel like I'm grazing! But it seems to work for me! :happy:

I promise to try to be better at checking in! (it's hard to go back and recap what I did...maybe that will be incentive!)

Looks like everyone is doing GREAT! Keep it up!!
  • mspix
    Options
    Good job, Sherrill! I am loving the hula hoop. So much fun! Are you doing a program of some sort, or just hula-ing?

Today I did 40 minutes of Turbo Jam (love that workout, it doesn't feel like a workout!) and 20 minutes of The Muffin Top Meltdown *giggle*. That workout is actually pretty intense (as well as a great deal at $3!) and I definitely feel it, especially in the abs and legs! Jennifer Galardi is a lot of fun (she leads one of the workouts) so I may look into more by her.
  • guessgigi
    Options
    hi everyone!! Yesterday was not so great for me. I was feeling like I was coming down with a cold and overate a little. ugh! Took vitamin c and went to bed. Amazingly today I woke up feeling really good. Came home and did Leslie Sansones 5 mile walk which includes ST. Have some calories left over and so feel pretty good about that. Now excited for tomorrow. I will have to look into some other workout so I don't get bored. Sounds like you guys have some good ones! Have a great Thursday everyone!!
  • balston2010
    balston2010 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    can i still join?