WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER

Options

Replies

• msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    HELP!!
    I have been eating an Apple every morning and it seems like it takes a lot of my sugar intake and then by the end of the day I go over my intake, not much but I don't want to be worried about having to much sugar.

Should I be concerned?????

I don't worry about going over on sugar if it is coming from sources like fruit. As long as you are in your calorie limit, I think you are OK. However, I also don't take this as a license to eat all of the fruit that exists! :laugh: I'm sure that you are fine though.

Debi - good to hear from you. Hope you are back soon.

Jeannie - Enjoy your coffee. I have the next two days off due to parent teacher conferences, and I plan to enjoy my coffee!

Everyone have a great Wednesday!
  • FLGatorGrl
    Options
    Good Morning everyone. The weather is beautiful in Florida this morning. To bad I have to be inside at work all day. May have my lunch on the patio here at the office for some fresh air.

I am so happy that I found MFP and this message board for 50+ women.

Enjoy the day everyone.
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone .............

Happy Middle of the Week to you all.
    :happy: Sissy ....from one cruiser to another ...have a whale of a time!!
    :sick: To everyone suffering from colds, coughs etc ...I hope you get better soon. Honey and lemon plus a nip of something warming works wonders for me!
    It's been soup making day here today ........Loads of veggies and some chicken. the garlic bread :noway: (Sorry) was more calories than the soup!!! but I just had to have that.

:explode: I advised people not to cross me today!! It was follow up complaints day!!

I ordered a magazine subscription on line for #2 DIL, a gift for her pre/post baby's birth. When the confirmation came through it showed an order for two copies each month. You'd think this could be rectified by ringing the customer help number included in the confirmation wouldn't you?............Nope!! the assistant said they didn't deal with that publication...and the number I'd rang was another Magazine company altogether!! E.Mails and calls still haven't got much further but maybe by copying the confirmation E.Mail to the helpline dept it will be a bit clearer tomorrow....maybe!!

Then ....I followed up a complaint to the cruise company. An e.Mail was sent to them on our return at the begining of Oct.asking for a refund for a cab fare we had to pay to get us to the airport, as our transfer coach did not materialise. I must say my phone call got resu;lts, an apology and promise of a cheque winging it's way to us asap.

Then ....it was British Airways turn. I felt I just HAD to let them know what I thought of their "Breakfast Box"
    Who on earth thought .....a Banana muffin, a rock cake, a yoghurt drink, a small box of raisins and ...a POLO mint was a welcome breakfast on our return flight from Seattle??

:laugh: I've calmed down now!!

:ohwell: I hoped to do a bit of painting but the lights gone now. I've been commissioned to do two nursery pictures for #3 grandson due Nov. 15th. It's pouring with rain and cold ...... Good job we had that warming soup!!I I could be tempted away to a sunshine holiday......:laugh: .in my dreams I think!!!

So ...
    BFN
    :flowerforyou: Jackie
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Then ....it was British Airways turn. I felt I just HAD to let them know what I thought of their "Breakfast Box"
    Who on earth thought .....a Banana muffin, a rock cake, a yoghurt drink, a small box of raisins and ...a POLO mint was a welcome breakfast on our return flight from Seattle??

So ...
    BFN
    :flowerforyou: Jackie

Jackie, we had exactly the same thing when we came back from Florida last month with BA. DH said "You woke me up for this!" It was a bit odd.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    HELP!!
    I have been eating an Apple every morning and it seems like it takes a lot of my sugar intake and then by the end of the day I go over my intake, not much but I don't want to be worried about having to much sugar.

I wouldn't be too concerned - unless you are prone to diabetes in your family. What kind of apple is it? Could you try a less sweet one?
  • debiann58
    debiann58 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    :yawn: good evening all, well i am happy to say it was a pretty good day i have done all my logs :happy: yeaaaaaaaaaaaa
    :happy: i'm going to be making a cup of tea and settle in for the night i have some crocheting i'm going to be working on ,keeping my hands busy , well everyone have a good night debi
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hi Everyone:

Sorry, I have been out of the loop for days... work has been horrible and by the time I have done my awful commute home, I am just finding the time to log my food and that is about it!!!

Hope that those who were ailing are getting better :happy: Those that are losing, good for you :drinker:

I remember, I think it was Rita, was talking about carpel tunnel - I have it in both wrists as well and a couple of years ago, had my right wrist operated on as it was the worst, and I have never regretted it; it was good for me. Fixed up my problem right away but I have not done my left hand because I use my right hand more and can do without my left more :ohwell:

I hope Sissy enjoys her cruise. I bet she will have some stories to tell us when she gets home :smile:

I have put myself seriously back on track along with the girls at work; we are going to champion each other. We all have at least 20-30 lbs to lose so, let's see how that goes :wink:

There are new faces ever time I check back on here, so I will have to get to meet you all :drinker:

I am going to run. Tons of stuff yet to do but I wanted to make sure I stopped in to say hi.

Take care, All and I will talk to you soon.

Love, Cathy xx
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Good morning everyone.:smile:

Just got back from my w2d2 of C25K.... not getting easier but still hanging in there.

Today my husband and i are going off to lunch at a new Jamie Oliver restaurant which is about to open... for some reason he has got us in to a trial opening.... not sure if its a set menu .... i can feel a calorie blow out coming on!! Oh, well .... i'm not going to be boring and turn down good food.... I may have to hit the pavement again tonight to try and make some back.

Yesterday I had a low day.... hadn't slept very much the night before so really tired.... had a bit of an issue to deal with with my son.... just feeling really emotional.... but i got through it... had a nice talk with my son over coffee and sorted it out.... and also stepped on the scales in the afternoon (don't ask me why... I just happened to be in the bathroom that's why).... and it was the lowest I've been for a while 82kg.... so that really made me feel better.... I haven't logged it because I want to try and stick with a saturday weigh in but it did give me a lift (it was back up a bit this morning... but at least I know its getting close).

Rita - what a lovely husband you have to do that yummy cooking for you as a surprise.....sounds healthy and delicious too. I totally relate to the talking with your son (see above).... I went and met my son after work to have a coffee together on our own and it was lovely really talking to him like that... must make the effort more often, very rewarding.

Kackie - hope you have a lovely dinner with friends... these times make this MFP program come into its own... go out and enjoy and then just get back on track without feeling guilty that you have blown any strict diet.... as I'll be doing for lunch today.

Plantlady - I know what you mean about the high sugar in the apples.... when I have a banana it shoots up... and I am going over for sugar virtually every day.... also not sure if its ok or not.... but at least its healthy sugar isn't it?

Sally - I feel for you with your disappointment at your weigh in.... but you have achieved so much so far....I haven't had my period since January but last year i was all over the place and felt terrible and "heavy" every time I did have it... I am so hoping mine have finished for good... I am so over that part of my life! This time will pass....

Hi Debi - welcome back.... I only joined a few weeks ago but I am finding this group such a great supportive crowd... my wii doesn't just have dust it has cobwebs!! I had a terrible injury from using it about 18months ago (I wrote about it in a blog which no one read).... I tore a calf muscle while jogging on the spot..... haven't used it since.... the physio said he has seen quite few injuries from wii, particularly in women of a certain age!!! Good luck with your journey this time 'round.... we are all here to support you.

Jackie - what a day you have had... wise to deal with it all in one day.... keep that rage going! Hope you've calmed down now and can pour yourself into your painting.... what a great outlet.

Well, off to get ready for lunch with Jamie (he won't be there unfortunately)... the weather has finally turned here and its going to be hot all of a sudden..... so now I switch very quickly from complaining about the cold to complaining about the heat.... never satisified!

Lisa
  • topaz2986
    topaz2986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Evenin' Ladies!

Busy, busy day at work. It's a good thing I eat at my desk or I wouldn't have had a chance for lunch. I do have to clean the crumbs off my keyboard quite often. I signed up for a web design class...trying to get some more job skills and I need to add some creativity to my life! It's an online course....so I'm sitting here in my jammies n slippers doing my work.

Sally...feel better. This time of life can be really annoying. To me, it's like a roller coaster...and I don't like roller coasters. You definitely have the right idea to keep your healthy habits going. I usually get severe chocolate cravings....and I usually cave in.

Lisa...I hope you had a good lunch. Did Jamie make a surprise appearance? So far, Patrick's mood is up...today. That changes minute to minute. He's having girlfriend issues and is on a roller coaster of his own. Here's hoping our sons find some balance and are happy again.

Kackie...Talking about sons opening up when THEY want to...I told Patrick the other night that I wished he would talk to me cause I knew he was down about something. He decided to be chatty at 3am. I love him.

Cathy....It's nice to hear about good results from carpal tunnel surgery. A couple of people I know had the surgery...but didn't get much relief. I'll find out who their surgeons were....and go somewhere else. How long was your recovery?

Back to learning about building websites!
    (maybe it will keep me from my evening snacking :laugh:

Rita
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    HELP!!

:bigsmile: I don't track sugar because the information is confused by the sugar in fruit. What I do instead is stay away from added sugar and sugary foods with little nutrition (like cookies, cake, candy, ice cream, doughnuts, coffee creamer, etc), A healthy diet should include some fruit, especially in the summer when it is so plentiful.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile:and, speaking of fruit, I am super busy making applesauce. I already have two rows of jars in the freezer and there will be more before I go to bed tonight.:bigsmile:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    HELP!!

I agree with Barbie. I don't worry about sugar in fruit. I tracked it for a while and it made no sense to me. Added sugar and simple carbs are the villains :angry: . I used to do a "fruit and veggie day" once a week. Felt amazing I can tell you. Don't know why I got away from it.:bigsmile:

I also have a sitting job, and have to make it a point to work out. Tomorrow is yoga again. Yay!

:heart: Rebel
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    barb - thanks for telling me about Mimi. I must have missed that, or else I don't remember (which is probably more like the truth...lol)

Lisa - the only stupid question is the question that isn't asked. I string popcorn for our Christmas tree. I use this instead of garland, I just think it looks good. Anyway, I take a piece of popcorn (I found out that air popped works best, although it may get a bit crumbly). And I just sew a thread thru it so it stays on the string (thread).

Mary - I got the recipe, thanks, and I printed it out. I'm thinking that I'll make that for the social. shhh...Vince will kill me because as hosts we aren't supposed to make food. However, that's what I held to last time and we ran out of food. I was mortified, to put it mildly. So I'm going to make cornbread biscuits, the ratatouille, this "brain panacotta" which is a dessert and you use palmegranite juice for the "blood", but I think the recipe makes a lot so I'm also going to put it in a heart and brain mold, that is the last day of the farmer's market so I'll get some apples which probably won't be eaten a whole lot (except by me) but I can always use the apples in apple cake or an apple pie, so they won't go to waste.

Today was such a beautiful day. Vince started on the Halloween decorations, it's supposed to rain the next few days but then clear up so I'll help him then.

Did an hour of spinning today, tomorrow I'll do the water aerobics. Maybe if I have time I'll do the yoga DVD that I just got. I'll see how much time I have.

Geri - I LOVE spaghetti squash. Put some tomato sauce on it, some spices, and what a meal. To me, it's so much better than spaghetti.

Rita - I saw a recipe for pumpkin ravioli using the wonton wrappers, but a comment was that the wrappers weren't very good so I didn't make the recipe. You've just confirmed for me that it isn't the best thing to do.

You know, a gal and I at spinning today were just talking about the difficulties of the "change". I was just saying how lately I don't sleep well at night. Like today I had to get up at 5 for the meeting at the Y, I was up on my own at 4:30. I asked at the Y meeting about how long I've been on the board because I remember going to 3 annual meetings and my understanding is that it's only for a 3 year term. The lady said she'd look into it and email me. If I don't hear from her in a few days, I'll email her. She kept telling me that the term is over in May. Does that mean that basically she screwed up and I should have been off? Well, I'm not going to say that but if she says that I have been on for 3 years I'm going to suggest that I go off. the truth of the matter is that I'm more focused on fitness and nutrition, fund raising is waaaayyyy out of my comfort zone. I just know that they're going to pressure me to fund raise. I have no problem donating, I just find it very hard to ask someone to donate. I would really like to get off this board. Plus...I have to get up so early just to get there at 7

Sorry, it's now Wednesday. I did try that yoga DVD that I got, I like it. It's probably about an hour long, but I only had time for 45 minutes. After that I had breakfast (of steel cut oats) and then went to deep water aerobics. Tomorrow I'll do a DVD at home of Jari Love. Then I'm planning to start making the cornbread muffins. Today Vince brought in a lot of the Halloween decorations while I was at bowling. Bowled a 103 (yuk), 114 and then 134.

Kathy - I wouldn't be concerned about your sugar from the apple. It's the refined sugars that I would be concerned about. Not the sugars from fruits.

Cathy - talking about logging all your food at one time, so many times I've wished that when you click on a food, a dropdown menu would appear and you can indicate which meal you'd like it in. How do you do it? I usually enter everything under "snacks" and then have to go back and put things under the correct meal.

I haven't had a regular period in 2 years. But last Dec. I was under A LOT of stress with dd#3 and I got it. Haven't had it since then, tho. And didn't have it for almost a year prior to that. I can only surmise that it was the stress that brought it on. I do find that exercise really helps me with the mood swings and the hot flashes. When I broke a bone in my foot a few years ago and couldn't exercise, I had hot flashes almost every day. As soon as I could get back to regular exercise, they really diminished.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • sissygok
    sissygok Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    HI ladies, our bags are packed, my hair is colored and cut, my hands are manicured and my piggies are painted pink with 3 little flowers on my big toes...so now I just have to try to make myself sleep tonight so we can leave in the morning. We won't be back until the end of November and I am so hoping I don't have to fess up to a big weight gain.

I think we are getting out of here just in time as the weather made a huge change from warm and sunny to cold and windy...tonight it is going into the 30's, so the warm tropic breezes of Tahiti, Samoa and Hawaii are going to be very welcome.

Hope everyone has a great Halloween and a Happy Thanksgiving, I am just happy that I won't have to cook. Most likely going to my daughter's husband's family for thanksgving.
    Thank you all for your well wishes and bon voyage messages, you are all wonderful.

xoSissy
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good night!
    Sissy enjoy your vacation,can`t wait to hear all about it.
    Michele,thanks for the tips about a period.I just had 1 year with out any and then the stress of the fall I got one.
    That triggered the alert on the mri,The radiologist assumed I was postmenopausal because I was 55.
    Rebel,I agree about the apple.It`s a good source of fiber and the sugar is a natural and not like cakes etc.
    Barbie,I can smell the applesauce cooking.Yum!
    Everyone else,have a good night.
    we`re in for some windy,cold rainy weather.YUK
    HUGS
    jane:blushing:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Evening, All,

Wow...what a dinner out!!!:drinker: :drinker: Our friends signed us up to our favorite restaurant in town's Special "french wine/food" night. A winemaker from France was in town and he and the chef set a pairing of wine and food. Needless to say, it was wonderful wine and unbelievable food. And I am too full. Nothing was heavy and the portions were small, BUT, I do not normally drink 4 glasses of wine in an evening...even on a very special night. I didn't drink all of each glass but I didn't pass on any of them either:noway: I did very well planning my day and did extra exercise BUT, I can't begin to calculate the calories of my evening. So...I will plan tomorrow, instead! I've never done one of these and won't likely do another for a while, but it was very interesting the way the wine and food was so well matched!

Rita: How old is your Patrick? My youngest, John, is on my mind these days. He lives in chicago and is engaged to a darling girl. They are getting married in July of next year. He lost his job in March and is getting so down trying to find another...I can hear it in his voice over the phone even though his words are upbeat. I am thinking that I need a face to face with him before Thanksgiving. It breaks my heart to not be able to "fix" things at this point in his life. I miss the 3AM chats! DH and I are trying to fit in a little visit to assess the situation! Boys are wonderful, aren't they?

Sissy: Have a BLAST!

I received the dress that I ordered for DS;s wedding and it fit! (Glad that I ordered the size 8...the reviews said it ran large and they were right.) Now I have to decide it I love it or not. The top part is cool and has a very flattering cut. The long skirt is ok, but maybe a bit fuller than I would like. I like the color...kind of a champagne/cocoa color, but not sure I love the silk. It is a bit shiny and I am not a fan of shiny. So, I must decide so that I can return it in the time allowed. I just don't love dressy clothing, so I never LOVE anything. I am really an outdoors girl and always feel like I am playing
    "Dress-up" when I get too formal!:laugh:

Geri: I have not tried Spaghetti squash but it sounds wonderful. Have to give it a try!

Rebel: A fruit and veggie day sound wonderful to me. Good idea!

Michelle: I am still worried about Mimi...she said she was going to Tahoe for a few days then coming back to finish her new place. I hope she is ok. I sent her a message but haven't heard back. Hope she is just super busy and not online.

So, good night, dear Ladies. Tomorrow will be a great day, kackie:heart:
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. Autumn is definitely here in my little part of the world. Its quite chilly this morning.

Sissy - have the most wonderful time.

I loved my spaghetti squash. I made an alfredo style sauce that is basically pureed cauliflower which I loved. So loads of veggies in one hit! It was a bit too thick for my liking so would thin it down in future but I'll try a tomato sauce next time.

A question for the apple sauce ladies - what do you use it for please?

Michele - I know what you mean about fund raising. I'd rather be a back room worker than asking companies or individuals for donation.

Well better get off to work. Enjoy your day everyone.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Kackie - that meal sounds awesome. I love wine pairings with dinners. Wine can really enhance the flavors of the foods. Its one of my favorite things to do with tasting menus at restaurants.

Sissy enjoy the cruise

Barbie I love making applesauce too.

Reb- you should get back to your fruit and veggie day. You really enjoyed it.

Michele you shouldn't feel bad about not wanting to fund raise. You have done your stint on the board and they should let you off so you can focus on you some more. Sometimes we just give too much of ourselves away.

I am struggling with my new job. The more I do the more I realize this isn't where I belong. I am not enjoying it at all. the people are of a different mind set and work style than I am used to and I don't thrive well here. I miss my engineers. I hope I can transisiton to something else in the company soon. It is getting harder to get the motivation to work and it is starting to affect my digestive system. That is not a good sign.

I hope you all have a great day !!! (keep your fingers crossed DD (the one in MN) has an interview for her dream job today.)
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    My six year old grandson spent the night, and I have today off work, so I am off on an adventure. We are going to drive out to Quivira National Wildlife Refuge to check out the migratory birds. Hopefully there will be time to slip in a little hike there. Then it is off to church, where we will work in the pumpkin patch. See you all later!
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options

Kathy - I wouldn't be concerned about your sugar from the apple. It's the refined sugars that I would be concerned about. Not the sugars from fruits.

Michele

Thank you!

Now another questions. My family loves apple crisp do I have to us refined sugar for this??????
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi to you all.........

Not much going on here tonight.
    I've been cleaning today so it's helped my exercise calories!

:laugh: I had to give my recipe for Bubble and Squeak to my #1DIL tonight!! It seems she's having food fancies!! and HAD to have my Boxing Day special. If her love for sprouts carries on through her pregnancy ...the birth of the twins may well be wind assisted!!

For some reason I've been thinking it's Friday already today ...:ohwell: the weekend will seem a long way off now!!

It's very windy and rainy again tonight ...the central heating's on.....the cats are loving it.

:flowerforyou: Hope you're all keeping warm and safe.

BFN
    Jackie