Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - October Challenge!! (One year

Options

Replies

• abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Greenhumanclay - no I do not run that fast ever!! I usually trail run and average 10 min miles. I dont properly train, but I need to start adding some interval runnning into the mix....I think the race was mostly addrenaline!!! I started out way to fast!!! I think I was trying to keep up with the pack and my first mile was just under 8mins (way too fast!!) then I crashed and my last mile was at 10min pace!! So I have a lot of learning to do still!!

Meag - I am more of a pace/distance runner too. as I said above my time was only fast bc I sprinted the first mile then died out. I usually hold about a 10min mile pace in my longer runs!!! I need to figure out how to properly train for running. Did you use a program when you started? I never know what days to do pace, interval, or distance runs.....I need to work on this a lot!!
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

Late night post!

Abby I also need to properly train I looked up some info on what Meag suggested and tried it today, i found some great info on runnersworld.com on how to train for a 10k and also the farttrek Meag suggested! I definitely don't run well at a fast speed but I tried today on the treadmill and I was tired with in a minute of running at 8.0 I usually do about 10:54/mile and sometimes 10:00 depending how I feel, so that is still great you can run at that speed!! I much rather run outdoors though but the treadmill is a better indicator of what my speed, time and distance is.

Meag Thanks Meag I looked up some info last night and tried what runners world suggested about intervals and I definitely need to work on speed but I like the training plan they offer for a beginner running a 10k so I will follow that plan, I definitely am not strict with a workout regimen but I am going to follow this plan as best I can it suggests running twice a day sometimes but shorter distances so I did that today and feel great! 6.5 total with both combined so they were relatively short for me. Plan on doing 5.5 miles or so tomorrow and I will incorporate what the plan suggests! Thanks again!!! :happy:

AFM I had a great run this am I really enjoy running first thing in the morning and jamming out to both upbeat, hard rock and even slower music when cooling down feels awesome. But I have to admit running with a partner makes time go by much faster! I will be waking up early for a nice short run with the BF and bake a couple things since it's her B-day also. We will be having Greek food and drinks afterwards look forward to some fun tomorrow night, but I can't complain I had a great day, well half a great day, work was somewhat stressful but did go for a 2nd run with the BF, then had a mani/pedi, clothes shopping for her not me and some yummy food! Over all great day, busy weekend ahead hope you ladies have a nice relaxing fun 3-day weekend!! :bigsmile:
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies - Sorry I couldn't post yesterday but I wasn't at my computer all day. Managed to get out of work at 3pm so my 'half day" was more like 6 hours straight of working my *kitten* off... But yea, at least I got that!

Weighted in at 122.4lbs, which is good enough. No complaints.

Rested yesterday and have a long trail run with the boy planned for today. We just finished chowing down on a plate of protein pancakes with peaches and Chocolate PB2 and have lots of shopping/errands, an apple orchard and a trip to Costco in our future. Tonight we're going to have a major BBQ as we are finally picking up our long loin from the butcher. 60lbs of awesome lean beef. Very excited! :bigsmile: Its going to be a great day.

To those looking up training programs, I have been using a program or some variation of one since Sept 2010. I am not sure what the Runner's World program is, but running twice a day can definitely be a "big ask" so make sure you aren't doing that too often. A good mix of runs, x-training, strength and stretch should suffice. You want to make sure you find balance.

My 1/2 Marathon training plan (intermediate) looked something like this...

Mon - Stretch and strengthen (usually yoga + core for me, since I struggle with finding the motivation to lift when I'm training hard for a race)
    Tues - Run 3-5 miles
    Wed - Speed work - either fartlek, intervals or tempo run
    Thurs - Run 3-4 miles + strength (circuit training)
    Fri - Rest day!
    Sat - Run 3-5 miles easy/pace
    Sun - Long run 6-12 miles

IMO anything in excess of this is really asking for problems. The above was exhausting! And my body couldn't handle it well after weeks and weeks. I strong recommend running only 3-4 times a week, incorporating more strength training, and enjoying some fun social exercise when possible - sports, walking with friends, hiking, spin, whatever. It's good for your body and soul! :tongue:

Anyway I've gotta run. The boy is waiting. Have a great weekend folks - It's Canadian Thanksgiving so I may be MIA a bit but I'll still be checking in :heart:
  • greenhumanclay
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

Quick check-in!

Meag thanks for the tips i agree anything excessive is not going to be great idea I will definitely listen to my body and the plan for runners world seems more intermediate compared to your training plan so I will definitely take is slow! It's just a 10k so I should be fine but I really tried the fartlek man I suck running fast lol, I need some training of course, but I ended up going for a long walk rather than running with my friend was pretty enjoyable, we didn't feel like running @ ALL!

AFM It was my friends b-day so I baked from scratch healthy pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, and they taste good but they also taste healthy! Not the traditional pumpkin muffin but the BF likes it and so do I so thats all that matters! We went out for some mediterranean food and over indulged a bit and had some red wine, Delicious! Then a a couple drinks not too strong and thank fully no hangover YET! Going to hang out with some co-workers for coffee in a bit so I just wanted to do a quick check-in, hope you ladies have a great Sunday and Monday 3-day weekend woohoo! :bigsmile:
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Hey ladies! Be warned... Lots of crankiness follows...

Well the last 2 days have been bananas around here... Very little time to myself these days. I hate to say it but I think I just need more "alone time" than the average person. I so feel like telling everyone to F off half the time. It's just so draining to be around people. Im not sure if that it just a function of being pulled in way too many directions at work and in my home life right now and feeling entirely overwhelmed, or what, but I am definitely a major CRANK these day! :ohwell:

Gave up my spin/run yesterday in lieu of a trail run with Tyler. He insisted that he was totally game for it and really wanted to run with me.... Then we get out there and petty well immediately he's saying his legs hurt, he can't run, he tired etc. What a disappointment. If you aren't up for a run then don't suggest I give up MY workout for you. My workouts are what keep me sane! This has happened before and I know it'll happen again, it's just soooo damn frustrating. We did 4.25 miles before he just couldn't even attempt to run/walk anymore and we walked home. The 4.25 miles, however, we jogged about 1 min slower/mile than I normally would and we walked every 5 mins. Really just a bummer workout. :grumble:

Today is Thanksgiving dinner at Tyler's family's place. Another crank-fest for me. I really just find all Thanksgiving food entirely inappealing, apart from the turkey. To make matters worse, Tyler's family eats basically standard north american food and I find it very difficult to have no control over my options. There's usually copious amounts of simple carbohydrates, lots of butter on everything, and very few vegetables options. Oh and lots of desserts that I have to politely decline. Not only do I end up being hungry all night but I end up feeling like a major jerk - but honestly it's all a) unhealthy and b) really just not very good. I am going to bring a green bean and fresh veg salad to add to the table. Hopefully that will satiate me a little.

OK enough complaining! I ended up doing a hybrid workout this morning instead of my usual long run because of my run yesterday - 25 mins on the TM and 25 mins on the spin bike. Not a bad workout. At least I got it done.

Just excited for it to be Monday! Hope you ladies have a less trying day than me... :heart: Love!
  • abby459
    Options
    Meag - Sorry about your unsuccessful trail run.....I have the opposite problem. My boyfriend can out run me now and he gets frustrated when I have to stop and walk...even though yesterday we ran 5.8 miles and I only walked 3 mins of it (1 min each time - 3 seperate times), which is a large improvement for me over the past 2 months....but somehow he can out-run me already even though he only started to run about 1 month ago!!! But, he has always worked out and is in much better shape then me (ie he is less then 8% body fat)---makes me gag!!

AFM - a little cranky here too!! My weigh-in today was up 1.2lb from last week!!! I hope its water gain or from p90x muscle gain or something....I have been good on my cals and my working out, so I cant imagine that its truely weight gain...but I still I hate seeing the scale go up....its hard for me not to get frustrated by it. Sticking to my program and giving it another week before I totally freak out about it!!
  • miss_amy
    miss_amy Posts: 351
    Options
    good morning ladies!

i wish i could contribute to all the running talk, but i am not a runner. my knees are pretty bad and can't take the beating, so i stick to more low-impact workouts that are nice to my knees. :) but great job to all you runners! i have so much respect for all of you!

AFM: i gained .2lbs this week. grrrrrr. i know it's a combination of things. first of all TOM is about to come, so i think i'm retaining water from that. i also know i'm retaining from my workout last night b/c i am so sore today. i definitely need to up my protein. for sure working on that this week! also, i was a snack fiend last week. the week before TOM is always bad- i'm always hungry! i guess it couldve been worse, but i am determined to have a better week this week!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Hey ladies! Whatta weekend... Sorry I've been absent. I started a post yesterday but realized it was nothing but crankiness and grumbling and what not so I shut'er down. It was just a long, miserable weekend with a few patches of wonderfulness. Let's just say I'm glad the holidays are over.

3.58miles this morning running and it was OK - pace was 9:47 and it felt alright. Getting up at 530am for my runs is definitely starting to hurt though. I am really still struggling to find balance. I find my evenings so tight for time and just feel like so much time is wasted... I wish I could hit the gym at night for a killer bootcamp class twice a week but it usually means giving up a homemade dinner and time with Tyler, so it's hard to justify. I know I shouldn't feel guilty or selfish, but I do. And it's a major downer.

My weight and food has been fine. I am really craving a totally awful cheat meal lately. I haven't really had anything too unhealthy in a long while, apart from the occasional beer or snack that fits into my macros. Really wanting something totally sinful. I just wish the boy liked really good food so that he could enjoy it with me... I'll have to think of something totally delicious and treat myself this week.

What do you beauties have planned for making this week great? For us, at least it's a short week and Friday will be here before I know it! :bigsmile: Have a great Tuesday everyone!
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

Sorry I have been MIA the past few days. I have just been feeling blah overall and not being able to really workout because I have been so exhausted. I had yesterday off from work and I spent it lounging around and resting in hopes of feeling better. I skipped spin this morning because I think it would have been to much. I am looking forward to going on a long walk this afternoon once I get home from work. At least the weather has been AMAZING here. I will try and catch up with all the going ons later. Now I am going to force myself to work and try and forget about the fact that I feel like I might barf!

Megan
  • greenhumanclay
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

Hope everyone had a great 3-day weekend! I moved a lot of furniture yesterday since we were getting new carpet and lino replaced and boy did I wake up sore, between the BF and I we moved everything not that it's a bunch of stuff since it's a small apartment but still... I ran in the rain today 4.25 miles and did aerobic intervals as "running world" calls it, basically pick up the speed every few minutes and run 90% of my max for 20 meters or so, enjoyed my run big time! Also did some cardio climbing on this hill I live by I think it's about 12 stories high did 6 up/down pretty intense but a great workout with the pops pretty random but fun, we might start making more workout plans together love working out with new peeps especially family, well depending what it is I'd rather do alone! ! Going to make some Indian food from scratch for dinner or some Pho again, that stuff comes out delish! I love soup period. Hope you ladies have a great rest of the day until tomorrow! :bigsmile:
  • drjennelle
    drjennelle Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    hi dears! :smile:

how was everyone's tuesday that might as well have been a monday? :wink: mine was great and productive, seemed pretty run of the mill until i heard from my DREAM JOB again... unofficially offering me the position (pending the references they still haven't contacted haha) but they said they really liked me and want to make it work and already told me how my progression at the company would go! i am meeting with them again tomorrow evening and im sooo PUMPED! i am learning so much already and i absolutely LOVE what this company is all about :love:

i also have to say that if ANY of you feel that you are struggling to achieve your goals (health/ fitness or otherwise) i REALLY recommend looking into chalene johnson's 30 day challenge! this program is seriously changing my life. yes i kept a to do list before, but not one that actually moved me closer to my BIG goals, just a to do list that forced me to get the things done that i HAD to do in a day. i am making REAL steps towards the life i want to lead while continuing to be happy in the life im leading RIGHT NOW :bigsmile: so yea.... check it out :glasses:

i wish i had more to contribute to all of your wonderful running accomplishments but i will say YOU GUYS SO TOTALLY ROCK!!!! :heart: even on your "bad" days or those days when you don't feel that you are running your best - reading your posts shows ME how much dedication you have and how mindful you are of your running goals each and every day!! it's SO impressive! give yourself a bunch of kisses, you deserve it! :smooched:

megan - i hope you're feeling better today! we all have bleh magoo days, but it's the way we pick ourselves up that makes ALL the difference! if you tell yourself you feel better you will ACTUALLY start to feel better! the power of positive thinking is AMAZING :noway:

amy - .2lbs is a good pee - don't stress it :wink: i was a big proponent of only weighing yourself once a week but the program ive been reading about suggests actually weighing yourself every day at the same time so that you can see the pattern of your normal weight fluctations so that you don't put so much "weight" (:laugh: ) on a change of .2lbs and realize instead what foods or liquids might cause you to retain weight and water and learn to limit them, etc. i am just starting to do this, but i suggest it you're really bothered by that .2 :wink:

meag - thanks for sparing us your crankiness, we appreciate it :tongue: hehehe jk jk - we are always here for you, even if you want to b*tch and moan or even scream and cry once and a while :sad: i hope the patches of wonderfulness you experienced were enough to make you remember how glorious life is and how awesome you are :flowerforyou:

alright, i gotta go - im neglecting the bf while we watch biggest loser and i think if i take another 5 minutes he will feel like this :brokenheart: hehe (i love icons, can you tell??)

have a fantastic evening mfpals!!!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Quick 10 mins to post then off to bed... Definitely *not* enough sleep last night!

Jyop - I love the emoticon craziness - Seriously! :bigsmile: Its awesome wonderful and makes me smile every time! Keep it up and thanks for the props and encouragement. It really does mean a lot! :heart:

Cynthia - Great workout! Love to hear runners switching it up. Any way you slice it adding in speed work will benefit you in the long run. You don't have to have a set plan or routine. Just get out there and do what you can. Run speedy intervals that fit your desired difficulty level and repeat. The key isnt to kill yourself, but just to push yourself past what you thought yourself capable of when you started your run. My goal is always to run 1 or 2 intervals "extra" once I start feeling like I am too tired to "race" anymore. That way when I finish them I can say "see, Meag. You can push. You know you can. It's all in your head!" -- I think it's prob a better mental strategy than anything. But it's also helped me improve my pace pretty drastically too :happy:

AFM - Today at work was much worse than anticipated. My boss is awful times a million and quite possibly the most irritating individual I've ever encountered. Worked straight through from 8:50am to 5:15pm without any breaks and then immediately came home, made dinner, cleaned up and did chores, hit the grocery store and pharmacy, and then came home and got ready for work tomorrow. Finally sat down around 9pm and am ready to kick the can - Did I mention I was up at 530am today? Ugh!

Anyway, Im getting up early-ish tomorrow to throw some curried millet stew in the crockpot and let it cook all day. Trying to find the motivation to hit the gym for spin right after work, but I may want to just crawl into bed instead... We shall see!

Have a great Wednesday everyone! :heart:
  • abby459
    Options
    Well I am glad everyone enjoyed their 3-day weekends....I am a nurse, so the hospital doesnt close and I still had to work...but its ok I am off tomorrow.
    My last 2 days I have done p90x workouts...they are going well.....but still feeling in a funk this week, having some stomach troubles again....but trying to work through it. Tomorrow is my running day again, supposed to be a longer run, but we will see how my stomach is feeling in the AM.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!!!
  • greenhumanclay
    Options
    Morning Ladies,

Janelle I think I might try that Chalene Johnson 30 Challenge sounds interesting and I like change! Thanks for the heads up:smile:

Meag Thanks Meag, i agree it's very important not to kill your self but really push whats past your limit but listen to your body for sure. I do also think it's mental yesterdays run in the rain was going to be 3.25 miles because it was raining gbut i figured whats another 10-11 minutes so I pushed that extra mile and felt accomplished after. Been feeling really spent these past two weeks or so I'm not going to stick to the plan but rather switch up the workouts and modify them a bit! Enjoy your stew after spin. Thanks for the tips, hope your day is great today! :wink:

AFM The weather has been unpredictable, it rained yesterday and today will be in the mid 80's, have a short run planned @ 5pm with a friend and another short workout @ 6:15 with another friend no running just weight training and maybe some stairs if I'm not too exhausted. Having some brown rice sushi for lunch today from home not from a restaurant, first time having it since about a year now so well see how it is! Already looking forward to the weekend have a 5k/Health Fair sponsored by my friends non-pro organ. on Saturday but found out that it's a walk not a run which is fine since that friend and I will be doing the Turkey Trot 10k Run next month!! Have been losing weight slowly but my clothes have been fitting better little by little thats how I know I'm still too focused on #'s my goal is 115 or so Im a shortie but can't seem to get under 131.8, I don't mind being this weight (ok a little) if I was able to gradually transform my body to be more fit and tighter so I'm going to keep changing up the workouts challenging my self and IMPROVE my eating for sure and attempt to stay off the scale for at least a few days! With some time I'm hoping this will either drop me a size or drop some weight so we'll see. Hope you ladies have happy Hump Day and kick some *kitten*!!
  • miss_amy
    miss_amy Posts: 351
    Options
    jennelle- you're totally right, i shouldn't fret a .2lb gain. i just hate seeing a gain of any kind lol. i usually weigh myself every day, but i think i'll take your advice and monitor the daily fluctuations more closely to see why the scale goes up and why it goes down. another big thing for me is water retention. i retain A LOT from hard work outs/excess salt/TOM bloating, so i think that could be likely attributed to the gain too. we'll see! :)

meag- i'm sorry you have an awful boss. i can totally relate. my manager is horrible. she's super unprofessional, picks favorites, picks on different people each week for no reason, and anytime i ask for time off (which is rare- i only use it when i need it), she gives me the HARDEST TIME EVER but yet other employees take off or come in late/leave early like once a week (i swear some people really do this). it's so ridiculous and unfair. needless to say, i'm always looking for a new job. 3 years has been too much here. i definitely feel your pain!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Good morning ladies! No time to post this AM but I just wanted to wish you all an awesome day... :bigsmile:
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Cynthia- Sounds like you have been getting in a bunch of different activities for workouts which I think is great because it helps keep exercising fun. Your turkey trot 10k sounds fun! My in-laws are coming in the weekend or two before thanksgiving and I think we are going to do a turkey trot but its only a 5k. I understand being frustrated with the number on the scale but like you said its really about how your body looks and how you feel, although weight is such a hard thing to not care about. Have you tried clean eating? There are some really delicious receipes and other options where everything is made from fresh real food. I think it helps me not only stay in my calories but eating the higher quality food I think helped my body change in general.

Jyopchick- how exciting about your potential new job! I hope you get official word soon about when you can start and things like that. I think finding something that you are passionate about is the best way to make work not suck and to lead a more fulfilling life. Keep up the amazing work!

Meag- you work has been killing you lately, but I must admit hearing about the trials of this job is way better than hearing about the late nights at the bars. At least I know you aren’t going to get assaulted :) I know its very stressful sometimes and its hard to find that balance, but you need to start making you a priority even if it is leaving work unfinished and taking that lunch break. Now this is kind of hypocritical of me because I almost never take a lunch break, however you and I both really should. Even if it’s just to stretch your legs with a short walk around the building to help you take a deep breath. Hang in there girlfriend!

Abby459- I hope your long run went well. I struggle sometimes with the confidence that I can actually do it and then I second guess myself and let things get in my way. I hope that your stomach is feeling better :)

AFM- Still haven’t been feeling great, but I have been trying to go on walks and just eat better. I think I am coming down with some sort of cold/flu bug because I feel like I am getting a fever and I am just so exhausted. I am trying not to push myself that way I don’t get full on sick as I have friends coming in from out of town this weekend and I am going out of town next weekend. At least work isn’t to stressful right now. I have some things on my plate that I really want to get done today and tomorrow, but that’s all I have to worry about for two whole days which should make things pretty good. And I don’t have any meetings to interrupt my day today :) I hope you ladies have a great Thursday!
  • abby459
    Options
    Cynthia - Good luck in your Turkey Trot!!! It sounds like a lot of fun!! and of course a good work out!!

Meag - You make me feel a lot happier in my job.....I guess I should not complain and consider myself lucky that the majority of days I am happy in my job!! And I agree that you need to find some time for yourself and make it a priority!!! Otherwise you will lose your sanity!!!

Megan - Dont push yourself too hard.....you need rest to recover and feel better...walking is probably fine but make sure drink plenty of fluids (sorry I cant help but to say that...I am a nurse!!!)

AFM - Stomach issues have resolved for the most part....but I had to skip my running yesterday...I did p90x arms/shoulders instead since my stomach could handle that!! Instead long run will now be tomorrow!! Today is my rest day!!!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am here and I need you lovelies more than ever!! I haven't had a chance to read through and catch up but thought I should make an appearance. Miss you all!!
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Guam- hey girlie! Hope you are doing well, stay strong I know you can!!

AFM: my computer officially broke, and this week has been the week from hell!!! I had a major drafting and model due, 2 papers, a midterm on top of work, everyday homework, initiation for my sorority and AAHHH I am pooped. Needless to say I dropped the ball on my eating, but packed my breakfast and lunch for tomorrow so trying to get back in the game.

I will go back and read what everyone is up too when I get my new computer tomorrow,but for now hope everyone has a great Friday and weekend!!!