Anyone take a week off from exercise??

Options
12346»

Replies

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    If you are taking off as part of a recovery period then it makes sense. It allows your body to heal and prepare for your next cycle. When I take my recovery week I still walk to get my calorie burn. You may need to do nothing depending on how tough your routine is and how your body is handling it. Listen to your body. You don't want to over train either. If it is just because you want to be lazy the answer is NO keep going.

Yup. If you're lifting weights you should schedule in rest weeks. But somehow I doubt that's where this thread was going.
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise when I'm on my moon cycle; it's not good to stress the body when you're bleeding, particularly any exercises that invert your legs above your waist. Anyway I am clumsy and tired when I bleed, so I usually take about 2 to 3 days off and I feel so much better when I do. I find I'm more prone to injury when I'm PMSing or bleeding, so that's just the way it is- a built in rest period every single month. I don't regret it at all.

Same :) I have issues where I bleed really heavily so I just take the 5 days or so off and recharge ready to start fresh again. I always much better with more energy after and I usually find I've lost more weight that week then any other in the month - I am careful not to overeat. The way pretty much everyone here is posting I should feel guilty about this but it works for me so I don't feel even slightly bad. I also take 1 day a week off and manage fine.
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I did not read any of the other posts but wanted to let you know that I was FORCED to take not 1 but 2 weeks off from exercise due to having Shingles back in October. I was on a plataeu at the time and I just ate my 1400 calories and that was it. After I started back I lost weight 4 out of 5 weeks. Thanksgiving was in there and that week I did not lose any. But it did get me off my plateau.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    IMO: I think that a week of rest is good for the body after weeks/months of working out hard. I usually have those rest periods when I take vacations and what not and it truly seems to help give me a boost when I return to working out. That doesn't mean I don't feel guilty as all get out! LOL.

If it's just an experiment to play with your metabolism, I think there's probably better ways to do that. Good luck to you! :)
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I actually usually take the week I am on my period off too. I take water class 2-3 times a week and just... eww I don't get in the water during that time.

I just took last week off and when I got on the scale last night I was down 3 pounds from the last time I weighed in (which was 2 weeks ago).

I did try and stay on task regarding calories and the type of food I was eating.

So it can be done, just make sure you are doing it for the right reason(s).
  • runningfataway
    Options
    Did it before, wont do it again. Actually took a couple of months off from exercising. Worst decision ever. Developed severe anxiety.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I took a week off for Thanksgiving. My weight stayed about the same (but I'm in maintenance so I wasn't looking to lose) and I didn't log. But I regretted it a little when I started back up and felt like I had lost much more than a week.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Did it before, wont do it again. Actually took a couple of months off from exercising. Worst decision ever. Developed severe anxiety.

I took a whole year off once. I wouldn't recommend that either. But this is a discussion about taking a WEEK off.
  • mercymarque
    Options
    The most I've taken off was two days. I love exercising