Arrogance vs Self Confidence

Options
So this has been bothering me a little well to be honest a lot. I made the comment to a friend the other day about how proud I was of my legs. They are way more toned now that I have been running and I can actually see my muscles without having to flex. After saying this to her....She told me that I shouldn't let my head get to big. That it was an arrogant statment to make.

In saying this please note she is not a close friend.....more of a coworker than anything

So what are your thoughts....When does self confidence stretech over into arrogance?

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    When you stop caring what other people think, some will perceive it as arrogance.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You worked at it, you should be proud of it.

Bragging about how fit you are is one thing. Saying you are proud of your accomplishment is another.

Jealousy is an ugly beast.

haters_gonna_hate_eagle.jpg
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    That was NOT an arrogant statement to say. You have worked hard to get in shape, you have worked hard to get your legs toned, you deserve to be able to make comments about them. More than likely this person is either jealous that you are accomplishing something she cannot, or she is one of those people that have to take everything and try to drag it down.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, what you said was based off of self confidence. (No, this is not because you are my friend, but the honest truth). You are PROUD of your accomplishment, and rightfully so! Show those legs. Be proud of those legs! You've worked hard and you DESERVE to be proud and want to share them.

Now, as far as the co-worker goes, sounds to me, in MY opinion that she could have a case a green eyed monster attack. In the case that is what it is, then so be it. Tha tis HER issue and cross to bear, not yours.

Arrogance is a feeling of superiority, that you are better than her and everyone else. So, no. I do not agree with her statement. You worked HARD to get those shapely legs, so it is definitely confidence. Work it, girl!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    it does not make you arrogant to be proud of the work you have done.Dont let it get to you.

Oh and if she says it to you again let me know and I will smack her around with my inflatable Willy doll:wink:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    self confidence is loving yourself, being proud of your accomplishments, and sharing the joy with others without being overly boastful, just happy.

arrogance would be implying that you are better than anyone else who has NOT made these same accomplishments, and just generally being smug or stuck up about it, like looking down at others who have not yet made that commitment.

It sounds to me like you were just being happy about your achievement and she is jealous of your hotness.:flowerforyou:
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    i don't think it was arrogant. you've been working really hard at getting those sexy legs. it's all about the other person's perception. could be a fine line. but to he!! with what other people think...if somebody thinks i'm arrogant vs. self confident then oh well. can't make everybody happy all the time...just yourself and the people closest to you.
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options

Bragging about how fit you are is one thing. Saying you are proud of your accomplishment is another.

haha thats a badass photo!
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    It is only arrogant if you continue to say it all the time. There is nothing worng with being proud of your accomplisments. You worked for those legs, feel good about them. Show them off once in awhile and be proud. I don't see you as an arrogant person.
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    from my experience, having to justify yourself to ppl with insecurities is a never ending battle.

their whole purpose is to tare you down to their level. just ignore her

you dont want ppl like that in your life anyway
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Yep, this about sums it up. Fvck what they think. I would make it my life's mission to ask her daily about a different body partto give her something else to think about
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure! As one who had terrible self-image and self-esteem for decades, it is really nice to be self-confident now, and I wouldn't know if I was being arrogant, either.

For what it's worth, that sounds like jealousy to me, and that you were being confident, not arrogant.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she's just jealous and wanted to be hurtful, but here are some important definitions on this:

Definition of SELF-CONFIDENCE
    : confidence in oneself and in one's powers and abilities
    — self–con·fi·dent \-fə-dənt, -ˌdent\ adjective
    — self–con·fi·dent·ly adverb

Definition of SELF-ESTEEM
    1: a confidence and satisfaction in oneself : self-respect
    2: self-conceit

Definition of ARROGANCE
    : an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions

Definition of PRIDE
    1: the quality or state of being proud: as a : inordinate self-esteem : conceit b : a reasonable or justifiable self-respect c : delight or elation arising from some act, possession, or relationship <parental pride>

Do you have an attitude of superiority?
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    It depends on your tone, who brought up the conversation and your relationship with the person to whom you are speaking with.

If she brought up how nice your legs were, there is nothing arrogant in you saying thank you and advising that running has really helped define them and you are really happy with the progress thus far.

If you brought up how awesome your legs were especially to a co-worker not a family member or close friend, that comes off as arrogant and she was right to react the way she did – of course it’s out of jealousy so don’t let it get you down just be careful what you say, how you say it and to whom in the future.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    I think it can be a thin line sometimes, but it is always subjective.

I have a friend who is very self-confident, she has lost weight, works hard at getting fit, and is proud of her accomplishments. But the constant "look at me" makes her arrogant.
  • scubatahiti
    scubatahiti Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Be loud and Proud. You have every right to talk about your success.
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    JEALOUSY.... SHE HAZ IT
    LOL
    YOU WERE COMMENTING ON YOUR PROGRESS AND ANYONE WHO HAS WORKED OUT KNOWS THAT CONFIDENCE IS A GREAT BONUS OF HEALTH. SOME PEOPLE DON'T LOVE THEMSELVES SO THEIR PERCEPTION IS TAINTED.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    The difference comes in interpretation of the individual(s) viewing you, and how you do yourself. That being said, adding a sarcastic tone of voice can influence that perception
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I dont think your comment was really an expression of either, you were just proud of your progress. IMO, confidence becomes arrogance when one is very vocal or obnoxious about something theyre proud of. For instance, if somebody saw you in a short dress and commented on your legs and you said thanks or just acknowledged the comment thats fine. Your obviously confident enough to wear the dress but didnt endulge in the compliment. Now if you said something like, damn straight my legs are the **** wish you could touch them dont you... then yeah you'd be an *kitten*.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    She is a jealous B!tch! Don't let it bother you anymore! You work hard to get them in shape and you should be proud of the transformation.