Stupid questions you hear in prison

Options

Replies

• jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    What are they supposed to ask you that you would actually respect? Your thoughts on quantum physics? You work in a prison. You might want to set that bar a little lower. You're not dealing with the Bernie Madoff's of the world.

More than likely the guys are probably trying to gain a measure of control by asking questions they know the answers to to see if they can get someone who doesn't need to or doesn't usually talk to them to talk to them. (They're not consciously saying "I need control" - they're like little kids. "Get someone" to do something is the key to them).

actually, I work in a federal prison so yeah, we do have the Bernie Madoff's of the world...
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    What are they supposed to ask you that you would actually respect? Your thoughts on quantum physics? You work in a prison. You might want to set that bar a little lower. You're not dealing with the Bernie Madoff's of the world.

More than likely the guys are probably trying to gain a measure of control by asking questions they know the answers to to see if they can get someone who doesn't need to or doesn't usually talk to them to talk to them. (They're not consciously saying "I need control" - they're like little kids. "Get someone" to do something is the key to them).

actually, I work in a federal prison so yeah, we do have the Bernie Madoff's of the world...
    ....................... *cricket chirp*
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    No, they know not to test the waters, Jason's universal answer for every question asked is NO. Quite simple, How great is this job when no matter what they ask, you can just say NO.

dont you have people to count?

Duh,,, we counted at midnight like you don't know that baldy...

your crusin' for a bruisin'
  • albinogorilla
    Options
    Ok, maybe they aren't all that dumb of questions to the normal person, but when you get asked the same stuff every day by the same people, your ability to not be annoyed over them just goes away...

They just sound like normal "making conversation" questions to me. I've been known to ask questions even if I know the answer because I want to know what the other person thinks or want to start a conversation.

But, I can see that being asked the same questions every day would get very old very fast!

You dont "make conversation" with inmates much in the way a farmer doesn't "make conversation" with his corn.
  • albinogorilla
    Options

....................... *cricket chirp*

haha.............
    the inmate/co relationship is something that no one on the outside can really get...............my colleague who started this thread was making light of some of these issues we deal with daily, but for outsiders it is hard to wrap your head around.

For example, last night I watched an inmate die, and was annoyed because I had just heated up my food, and now it was going to get cold. You can't work in a prison and view inmates as people, if you do, you don't belong there. They are to us as corn is to a farmer. Its how you make your money, and nothing more.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    When I get out of prison are they going to give me 1,200 dollars?

Can I collect social security in another country?

Why are you trying to tell me London is not a country? It is not in England, I know this.

Can I go for a ride in your car?

I am really not a psyco-path, you would kill your mother too if you didn't want her to get old and suffer, wouldn't you?

Can you tell him to give me a soda? I allready gave him a *kitten*!

Just a few.....
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that working in a prison is similar to working in a daycare-I worked at McDonalds and its simply frustrating to hear these ridiculously chidlish questions from adults,
    "Can I have a smoke break and sit down? I've been working over half my shift?"
    "Your shift is only 3 hours long, you don't get a break today. Have a glass of water or soda really quickly if you need a break for a minute."
    "So you want me to work my whole shift without a break? That isn't legal"
    "I'm sorry, where is your law degree from again?"
    "...well can I go home early then?"
    ...later on when paychecks come:
    Employee: "Man this sucks! My paycheck sucks, I can't afford anything. Why is my paycheck so small?"

Sometimes it's difficult to imagine that these are adults we deal with. I can only imagine the frustrations of working in a prison.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    *waves hand timidly* I work in a call center for customer service. There are some people...

Like the TRAINED bank teller who needed me (I study humanities, not math) to explain what "multiples of five" are. "But I just want 74." -.-

Mmmm hmmmm

Call center in the financial industry, in investments, right after the market crashed... "WHY ARE YOU STEALING MY MONEY?!?!?!?!?!" "Ma'am, I didn't steal your money, it's invested in the market and it crashed" "YOU STOLE MY MONEY" on and on for 10-20 minutes...
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    The stole your money thing is a whole other issue.

This lady calls:
    me: how can i help you?
    her: i need a loan, that bank wonÄt give me one.
    me: and what do you want me to do?
    her: give me money
    me: i can't, the branch needs to give it to you.
    her: but they won't.
    me: ...
    her: you also stole my money.
    me: how so?
    her: you deposited in my account but it was for someone else.
    me: yes, we have to take that back because it's not yours.
    her: but it was in my account. you took it and put it in your own account.
    me: maam, i ca...
    hubby: you stupid ****, give us our money
    me: there is not need for abuse
    him: but you are too stupid to...
    me: thanks for calling and have a nice day *disconnects*
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    No, they know not to test the waters, Jason's universal answer for every question asked is NO. Quite simple, How great is this job when no matter what they ask, you can just say NO.

dont you have people to count?

Duh,,, we counted at midnight like you don't know that baldy...

your crusin' for a bruisin'

haha that's what my mom said when I was a kid
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I used to want to be a CO...then decided i was probably too cute and nice looking..
  • SimplyFreckled
    SimplyFreckled Posts: 444 Member
    Options

I think its really great when someones mom is in the ICU unit and may not make it through the weekend. and the CO gets to tell that someones sister who is calling crying "NO i can not pass on the message that his mom is dying. Call back when she dies." I think that is super duper great.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    haha.............
    the inmate/co relationship is something that no one on the outside can really get...............my colleague who started this thread was making light of some of these issues we deal with daily, but for outsiders it is hard to wrap your head around.

For example, last night I watched an inmate die, and was annoyed because I had just heated up my food, and now it was going to get cold. You can't work in a prison and view inmates as people, if you do, you don't belong there. They are to us as corn is to a farmer. Its how you make your money, and nothing more.

Really?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    haha.............

Really?
    Wow. I'm not sure I have words...
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    haha.............

Really?

Thats typical of most CO
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    haha.............

Really?

There was more before this story, I edited down to the part that was just a little harsh. I can't imagine that viewing people as anything but people is okay.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    Do you have toddlers at your house? Regardless of how stupid the questions are, when you hear the same questions 2,047x in one hour as if your kids have turrets of the brain, that will make you want to change jobs, and quickly
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I never worked in the prison industry, but as an EMT on an Indian Reservation I had many a call at the jail. One of my partners in particular was the Master Sargeant for the Tribal Police Force. So he was well known. One day we get a call to the jail for something, (usually extreme stomach pain, usually, it was so they could get outside for a few hours) So off we go into the male area of the jail into the general population which was like a dorm. While I was checking our patient out, my partner was keeping everyone else back and kind of chatting with them and keeping them from getting under foot. So during this I overhear this conversation:

Inmate: "Master Sargeant, man, I can hardly sleep! These bunks are killing my back, and the pillows suck!"

Partner: "Do you know where you're at?"

Inmate: "Yeah, jail"

Partner: "Right, this is jail. It's supposed to be uncomfortable, if it were nice and comfortable we'd call this place the Holiday Inn"

Inmate: "Expletive, expletive, you man!"

Partner: "And you have a nice day too. Anything else I can do to make your stay here better?"

I give you guys credit! You do a job that I could never do! How you make it through the day without B*#ch slapping at least 5 of them is beyond me. I know that with every group in humanity there are a few individuals that don't fit the mold, and I'll bet you could recognize those if you had them in your population, but I also know they are few and far between.

God Bless ya!
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My EX husband is a CO. I think they should call his place of work Federal Bureau of Adultery. Everybody slept with everybody's spouse. He was cocky, arrogant, and developed an egotistical attitude of control. He shot and killed his best friend, after the best friend caught him with his wife, AND he still works for the Bureau. Hmmmm sorry I know you're not all the same but c'mon, any of us are one decision away from the other side of the fence.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I work in a residential alternative to detention program with juveniles and it seems they have the same questions! The attitudes and questions can be very irritating :)

I run an independent living program for 17 year olds about to return to the community from a secure setting. Try prepping one of these guys for a job interview or teaching them how to fill out a bank deposit slip!!