I know this has got to be a rare post

Options
Z_I_L_L_A
Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
Okay, my situation is I'm a single dad that works til 6pm. I have custody of my kids which I love more than anything. Question is how do you make time for your exercises or workouts when everything else comes first? Don't laugh but, cleaning the house, cooking the meals( which they won't eat what I eat), doing laundry, grocery shopping and yard work doesn't leave much time for workouts. Is there any single dads out there running into the same problems and do you have an answer? I tried involving the kids in my workouts but they are active in their sports also.:grumble: PS the rare part is being a man with this problem.

Replies

• plainjoe81
    plainjoe81 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Can you coach their sports?
  • louisebear
    Options
    how about a mini gym at home, then when they all go to bed u could workout :O)
  • mandemonious
    mandemonious Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling single moms may have some insight on this "rare" condition....

Good for you for doing all you do :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    What about working out at lunch or after they are in bed or both.
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Can you get a work out in when they are off at their sports? Doing alot of the household things is a work out in its self, so dont beat yourself up to much =) I find it amazing that you are a single dad and kicking *kitten* at it. =) Good for you
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    my son is in the same position, will grandma not baby sit or a friend you can trust.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    What about getting up early to get your workout in? Or perhaps you can hire someone to come in and clean to free up some of that time for you???
  • Colemanlo1
    Colemanlo1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have to work out on my lunch hour during the week at work. I walk to the Gym, work out for about 30-40 minutes and then walk back. It's seriously the ONLY time I can work in with 3 boys...
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    How about if you participated in practicing with them? Take them to the park and play their sport for fun with them, then you are getting a workout and spending time with them. That is what we have to do. Ours are little, so it's a little easier, but they go with us and we play outside with them and get exercise that way.
  • mayasmom
    mayasmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    How old are your kids? I'm a single mom with a 6 year old. Her social/school/sport life is not yet out of hand, but it gets busier every year. Are you a morning person? Can you wake up before them and workout then?
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Most Mom's do this every day. You have some options, but a lot depends on how old the kiddies are.

1) Get up early and workout before they get up for school
    2) Workout at lunch
    3) Workout while they are at practice - run around their field, gym, etc.
    4) Workout while they are doing homework
    5) Workout after they go to bed

Give them chores too - if they are in school, there is no reason they can't dust, run the sweeper, do the dishes, etc.....
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling single moms may have some insight on this "rare" condition....

Good for you for doing all you do :)

:flowerforyou:
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Well, I walk while my oldest has soccer practice. You could try doing that if you are not assisting with coaching.

Otherwise, do a DVD at home. If you want to run, let them ride bikes with you while you run.

If you are trying to get to a gym for weights, I would recommend buy the basics and do it at home.

There are never enough hours in the day. It's tough (and I'm not a single mom) but, when my husband has to go out of town for work, I play that role. Make time for it. If they don't want to participate, at least you are setting the example for a healthy lifestyle.

As for the food, mine don't eat what I do either but I do make them try it each time.
  • haleyhin
    haleyhin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! I'm not even a single mom and I have a hard time getting workouts in with a high school senior, an 8th grade premier-level soccer player and a kindergartener. Do you have cable? Exercise TV On Demand has lots of great workouts, including Jillian Micheals' 30 Day Shred (I should know, I just watched it yesterday while eating nachos for lunch.) There is everything from 10 minute abs routines to full hour long yoga practices. Exercise TV is a Godsend for me; if I had to leave the house to work out it just flat wouldn't happen.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    your problem translates to all parents especially when multiple kids are in the mix... i use my lunch at work and i run laps during the boys baseball practices... i pull out a little time for myself at somepoint on Saturdays and Sundays.. But i also do what i call hurricaine cleaning at home, which means i run my butt off cleaning house on Saturdays as fast as i can.. deep cleaning sweeping mopping laundry. cleaning under furniture. i have hard woods so they have to be mopped every week by hand or they get nasty. i work up a sweat and yes it is at least a low impact workout... you can find ways to work it in.. stay motivated you are not alone.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i find the easiest time to work out is when my kids take a nap. idk how old your kids are, but if they nap i can usually work out and get a shower in! what about when they go to bed? i know working out late at night isn't ideal, but sometimes that's the only way to get it in. you could also wake up and work out early before the kids wake up.
  • stephl81
    stephl81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Im a single mother and know the feel all too well. Do you have a support system? I have negotiated with family and friends to watch my son while I work out and I do favors for them in return by either watching their kids or letting them borrow my truck to haul stuff around or something like that. I’m also a member of a gym that has free daycare so when I have to, I drag him to the gym with me. I’m not sure how young your kids are but jogging strollers and bike trailers do me wonders. I also purchased the p90X DVD's and do the workouts when he naps or when he is occupied. Sometimes he joins me and its fun to watch him try to moves. I also do little things like take the stairs when I can; I work on the 7th floor of my building and workout on my lunch break when I dont need to worry about finding sitters. Every little bit helps! I hope that helps!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    What about working out at lunch or after they are in bed or both.

Or in the morning before they wake up. A home gym gym works nice for this.
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    It sounds like a small home gym might be the way to go. You can do a quick full body routine in about 45 minutes after they go to bed. A pull up bar, maybe some kettlebells, resistance bands and a flat bench. The work around the house is keeping you active though so at least you are getting a workout in.
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    I am a single father of 2 kids. 13 and 8 and 1 is deaf. I also have custody. I have a YMCA membership. They have daycare if your kids are younger and activities if they are older. My boy turns 13 this week and will be old enough to hit the weight room and I will then also start lifting weights. After I work out we go swimming. I turned my cable off last May so now that its getting cooler the YMCA is big part of our nightly entertainment. Also kids can do chores!! Its motiviation everyday for kids to get chores and homework done so we can go to the YMCA. Also we bike ride. At 375lb I rode a bike. It was my only workout till I lost enough weight to do more. Good Luck!!