I know this has got to be a rare post

Options

Replies

• TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    You're already getting a lot of physical activity in your schedule by just being a dad, so don't stress about it. There are tons of ways to include your kids in your workouts, but I don't want to get into that. What I want to suggest is waking up 35 minutes earlier or going to bed 35 minutes later. That's all it takes to get a good workout in. I managed to consolidate some of my P90X workouts into 35 minutes. I go hard at full blast, but it feels amazing and it's totally worth the exertion and sleep sacrifice.
  • leeawhite
    Options
    I am a single mom and have ran into some of the problems you are having. It's hard to find the time. When I walk they would ride their bikes with me. I couldn't leave my kids at home in the morning before i went to work and the daycare closed at 6pm. I paid for a gym membership and didn't get to go as much as i wanted to because of this reason. I wish now i would have bought an in home gym of some sort. i felt guilty if I left them with a friend during the week because you don't have much time in the evenings. I know it sound like excuses, but most of the time its not. Good luck! hope you work it out. I'm still trying:)
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    It almost seems like you're not really willing to look at options that people are suggesting. I'm a single mom with a full time job, plus I run a home-based business and my daughter is involved in sports and other activities, yet I still manage to find time to work out. Where there's a will, there's a way. Does your daughter drive at 17? If so, you can put her in charge of grocery shopping and running errands and driving your son places. It'll teach her to be responsible as she becomes an adult. Sit down with her and teach her how to budget with whatever money you set aside for groceries. There is no reason why you can't give your kids more responsibility at their ages. My 8 year old folds all of her laundry and puts it away. It's all about delegating these things. Have a weekly chore list for your kids and designate a day or time each day to spend 15 minutes just cleaning or doing these chores. It's unrealistic for you to do everything that being a single parent demands, and since your children are in high school and jr. high, they are more than qualified to help you out.

Of course, none of this will help you if you're not willing to let go of some of the responsibilities that you hold. Sometimes you'll have a pink sock from a red item accidentally being tossed in with the whites...sometimes some things might be forgotten at the store...sometimes the laundry might get wrinkled...you've gotta let go of that perfectionism and teach your kids to be responsible, and as these mistakes happen, they'll learn from them and get it right the next time, which will free up SO much of your time. It's great that you are a supportive father, but you're in need of some balance here. Make a weekly plan or have a family calendar where everyone puts in their activities. Then schedule your exercise around those activities. You may not have a full hour or 2 to work out, but 30 minutes is better than nothing....and 10 minute spurts here and there is better than nothing. Be firm about last minute activities that come up...tell your kids that if it's not on there by a certain time that they risk you not being there. That is not sending the message that they're not important...it tells them that you have things you need to do as well. I bet you your kids understand that you've got to preserve yourself and do things for yourself too. Use your kids as your reason to find time for yourself, not as an excuse of why you can't.

I make no excuses, I do want to do whatever I can to get it done. Most people answering my post are are not reading my other post. Everyone has different lives, mine is not yours. Some things people suggest won't work in my situation, just because I say no to one suggestion does not mean I'm not willing to do the work. All I asked was suggestions from single parents, not to be judged by people.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Okay, my situation is I'm a single dad that works til 6pm. I have custody of my kids which I love more than anything. Question is how do you make time for your exercises or workouts when everything else comes first? Don't laugh but, cleaning the house, cooking the meals( which they won't eat what I eat), doing laundry, grocery shopping and yard work doesn't leave much time for workouts. Is there any single dads out there running into the same problems and do you have an answer? I tried involving the kids in my workouts but they are active in their sports also.:grumble: PS the rare part is being a man with this problem.

Have you tried sitting down and asking your kids to help you come up with an answer? Maybe explain to them that you want to make a little time for yourself to workout and stay healthy. When I went thru my divorce and became a single parent I did this with my oldest son. He was able to understand that for our family to run smoothly that we had to work together to get homework, household chores, and extracurricular activities done.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I make no excuses, I do want to do whatever I can to get it done. Most people answering my post are are not reading my other post. Everyone has different lives, mine is not yours. Some things people suggest won't work in my situation, just because I say no to one suggestion does not mean I'm not willing to do the work. All I asked was suggestions from single parents, not to be judged by people.

I think people are genuinely trying to help...not judge. You're right...no one is in your exact position; but many of us are in similar positions. So we throw out what has worked for us. You don't need to forgo sleep in order to get your exercise in. As I said in my earlier post a half hour here & a half hour there is better than nothing and you'd be surprised where you can squeeze in that half hour. More importantly, you need to make sure that you have some time for YOU. Even if it's just 10 minutes playing Angry Birds on my phone to unwind...or taking some time to read a few chapters of my book...I have my ME time. I find that I'm not nearly as cranky when I do that. Believe me, I know how hard that is. I always feel like taking time for me to do something for myself is like taking something away from my kids. But, if we lose ourselves, what good are we to our kids?
  • kleeper80
    kleeper80 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am recently a single mom of 3 kids. My kids are 4, 6, and 8, so I am having this same struggle. Between work, school, soccer, gymnastics, etc., it is very difficult to find time to work out. I try to have my mom watch the kids occassionally so I can go run. Running is my stress reliever. I am going to make it a goal to try to work out at lunch at least 2 days a week.

Congrats to you for stepping up to the plate and doing the right thing!
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Thanks, I've been trying to go it alone for 3 years. It is very stressful and I get frustrated. I wish I never put the post up. Some of the things I will try. I never disagreed with everything. I just don't wanna be judged either.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I think you're being a bit sensitive. I've read through this thread and I don't see much judging being done. You've received, and rejected, a lot of suggestions both from single parents and others. Perhaps the right course of action for you right now is just not to work out. You don't seem to have time and you don't seem willing to make changes so you will. There's really nothing wrong with that. Losing weight is much more about diet than exercise, anyway, so continue to focus on how you're eating and when the time is right, perhaps after your daughter starts college, you can then start an exercise routine.
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I got a family membership at the Y and we all go and work out and swim together. If you can afford it hire help for things that make sense. Prioritize the things you think you need to do, maybe some can be put off or maybe you can come up with a more efficient method. If you find you are having to do laundry alot, buy more clothes so you have to do it less often. I've found thrift stores are a great place to augment my wardrobe. Also if they are old enough have your kids help with some of the chores.
  • AliceRabbit13
    AliceRabbit13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I empathize with you a great deal. My shrink told me something that kind of resonated with me, and maybe it can with you, too. He told me that the root of all my depression was from flawed thought processes - I felt (and still feel sometimes) that if I don't do EVERYTHING by myself and/or (God forbid) ask for help, I am a failure. When my kids ask for my ex, I am a bad mother. When my children don't get to do all the activities they want to do, either from cost or lack of time, I am the worst mother ever. I am learning that if a chore doesn't get done, it doesn't get done. I make my exercising the number one on my to-do list after the kids' health, and try and find a way for the other things to fit in. If I don't exercise, I feel bad for not exercising, I gain weight, etc., etc., thus putting my health at risk, thus putting me at risk for not being able to take care of my children (which I am the only one who can - no family for hundreds of miles around, and my ex is in another country). I also strated bringing my boys (ages 9 and 3) into the chore part. I figure it will help them become successful and independent as adults, and it helps lighten my load. We may be a fractured family, but we are a family, and we try and do what it takes to make it work. My life is far from perfect, but if there's a will, there truly is a way, even if that way is dark and obscure and seemingly friggin' impossible to find.
    If you can't leave the house for whatever reason, try getting some sports equipment from craigslist or from a garage sale. Usually it's crazy cheap. If it is still beyond your means, you can take a couple empty milk jugs, fill them with water and there's your weights. I also thought the suggestions of getting your exercise in while they're at their activities was a good one. Just suggestions, take them for what they're worth. I bet with a little creativity and a lot of persistence, you can make it work. I wish you the best of luck :) Friend me if you like, I'm a pretty good cheerleader ;)
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    When I read "the 4-hour workweek" by Tim Ferris, I realized how much time I wasted doing things. It helped me free up time, learn to say no to unimportant tasks, and take a different look at life and work... Before you say you don't have time to read, I actually listened to it in audio format as I cleaned the house. Good luck...
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    many single moms i know either A. wake up in the AM before the kids, or B. do it after the kids go to bed. sorry i cant be much more help than this
  • sunshine77081
    Options
    try waking up earlier to fit your work out in before you leave for work. when my children were little i would do that. now that they are older (still little) i will send them into the other room with their cartoons so i can do a work out. i am a stay at home mom and do all fo the same things you do. i do the lawn and such to open up time for my husband to spend with the children at home often leaving my health behind. try to find the little spots in your already busy life to squeeze something in. maybe when your kids are at their sports walk the track. the little things m'dear!
  • Beatrix0810
    Options
    Ok, I'll try to respond to all in one post. I already don't get enough sleep from being the only adult and doing everything, single moms know what I mean. If you don't have the energy to workout because of lack of sleep how good would your workout be. As for the gym, I have one, all free weights and cable machine from power lifting years(600lbs worth). As for coaching, I coached fastpitch travel softball at the highest level, coaching doesn't burn enough calories. My daughter is 17 and a junior in HS, my son is 11 in middle school. I guess I will have to fore go some sleep to get it done.

You're kids are old enough to be more self sufficient. Have THEM cook dinner and clean it up. Have THEM do the laundry or mow the lawn. I played both high school and club sports growing up. I still had to set and clear the table every night, bring the laundry down and sort it, mow the lawn (alternating with my sister), and help with the house cleaning - even if they are responsible for just their room and bathroom.

This! I agree 100%. With kids as old as yours, there's absolutely NO reason for you to be doing everything for them. The older one can watch the younger one while you go for a 40 minute run or something. I would try to engage your kids more than you have been and I think you'll find that not only will it free up more time for you to take care of your body, but they will learn how to be responsible adults in the process. Good luck!

B
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    [/quote]
    Quote "Frankly, I think you're being a bit sensitive. I've read through this thread and I don't see much judging being done. You've received, and rejected, a lot of suggestions both from single parents and others. Perhaps the right course of action for you right now is just not to work out. You don't seem to have time and you don't seem willing to make changes so you will. There's really nothing wrong with that. Losing weight is much more about diet than exercise, anyway, so continue to focus on how you're eating and when the time is right, perhaps after your daughter starts college, you can then start an exercise routine."
    [/quote]

"I think you're being a bit sensitive" and "you don't seem willing to make changes so you will." Okay, thats an honest "opinion" of my post not judging. Some of the suggestions I will try, it was the sarcastic ones like "Dude, you don't do laundry everyday" Yes I do laundry everyday. I'm not shooting the suggestions down, I'm just pointing out the ones that won't work because of my situation, so they won't be repeated later in the post. Sensitive no, defensive probably, because if you are doing all you can it is stressful to me to be told I'm not.
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm not single but I am a dad who just started losing weight, 319 down from 340, and I bought a WII for the kids a while back. I recently bought the balance board and the biggest loser game. Not only does it give you a good work out but the kids love the challenges too(I have 7 year old twins who beg me to play it after my workouts). I also have a treadmill down in the basement that I use at night once the kids go to bed. I know I'm not one to give fitness advice but just saying what I do. Also I agree with some of the other posts that you need to move some(if not all) of your workout to your home if that's possible. Keep up the good work!
    Doug
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I used to walk while my kids were at swim team practice and baseball practice. I'm a mom not a dad but I know how hard it is to get everything done and how easy it is to put yourself last. Good luck!
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I've been trying to go it alone for 3 years. It is very stressful and I get frustrated. I wish I never put the post up. Some of the things I will try. I never disagreed with everything. I just don't wanna be judged either.

If you interpreted my post as being judgmental, I apologize. I am not on MFP to judge people in their ways or discourage anyone. I am just a very straight-forward person and said what I was interpreting from your posts. It is stressful, and it is frustrating, but there comes a time where the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change. It sounds like you're wanting a change, but it doesn't seem like your mind is quite yet open to making the change. I've seen some posts that I think are extremely helpful to your situation...granted I don't know the ins and outs of your life, but those of us who are single parents have had to figure things out at one point or another in order to make life work...there isn't any reason why you can't take the suggestions and try to implement them in some way into your life. Nobody is telling you that you MUST do things this way or that. We're here to help you figure it out so you can solve your problem and get on with your life in a healthy manner. Find one idea that you like, and try to think outside the box to come up with a way for it to work in your own situation. Someone else said that we're speaking from our own experiences, which is absolutely true...what works for one, may not work for another. But if you're not open to the idea of changing something in your life, nobody's suggestions will help you. That is just the absolute truth.

We all have the same 24 hours in a day...some are better time managers than others...some multi-task better than others, but the thing about that is they're skills that are learned. We single parents have to learn how to do these things when we don't have help from others around us. We also have to learn to ask our friends for help when we need it. Ask yourself if you would be willing to help out one of your friends if they needed. If you said yes, odds are in your favor that your friends would do the same for you. From the sounds of things, I'd say your children would be willing to help you out too in taking on whatever they can to help. But they're not mind readers and they're not going to automatically do things for you unless you ask. The answer is ALWAYS no unless you ask. It's nothing to feel guilty about either...we're all human and none of us have super-human powers to take on everything life gives us without a little help and support.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    I'm very willing to do whatever to get healthy, its just not all of the suggestions in this huge post will work in my situation. I'm not being negative or non willing, just realistic. I remember when I used to workout and how I felt, always happy, lots of energy. I miss that a lot. I have sleep apnea and I still don't get enough sleep with the machine. I'll try some of the suggestions, and didn't mean to be so defensive, its just a tough situation right now until I settle in on some sort of routine. Thanks again.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll try to respond to all in one post. I already don't get enough sleep from being the only adult and doing everything, single moms know what I mean. If you don't have the energy to workout because of lack of sleep how good would your workout be. As for the gym, I have one, all free weights and cable machine from power lifting years(600lbs worth). As for coaching, I coached fastpitch travel softball at the highest level, coaching doesn't burn enough calories. My daughter is 17 and a junior in HS, my son is 11 in middle school. I guess I will have to fore go some sleep to get it done. I run a business for my X in-laws they are dealing with cancer right now. I get no breaks at work. If you can help get homework done( AP calc,AP bio,etc.), do dinner for them,laundry baths in bed by 8pm, wait til they get older. I also can't afford gyms, dude. I don't live with my mom either, I have a house and make payments. We live in the country away from others too.

You know...even if you can only get in 10-15 min walkks, they add up. Your kids would probably enjoy working out with you :) An hour a day with them = quality time wiht them and work out time with dad. I am not a single parent...but I do a good bit of parenting on my own since my husband travels alot. I work out while they are at school...but I also work out with my 11.5 year old at the gym. It is great bonding time :)