I know this has got to be a rare post

Options

Replies

• Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Most Mom's do this every day. You have some options, but a lot depends on how old the kiddies are.

1) Get up early and workout before they get up for school
    2) Workout at lunch
    3) Workout while they are at practice - run around their field, gym, etc.
    4) Workout while they are doing homework
    5) Workout after they go to bed

Give them chores too - if they are in school, there is no reason they can't dust, run the sweeper, do the dishes, etc.....

I agree with this ^^^ I cant' even get my boyfirend to do chores....most days....:laugh:
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting up early if possible, or you may have to sacrifice your lunch break during work. I completely understand your situation. I am not a single mom, but I feel like one most days. I recently posted a blog and I'm sure you could relate! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KateHubb
  • Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Single Mom here....and my solution.: WAKING UP AT THE CRACK OF DAWN TO DO MY WORKOUTS. lol

I'm not typically a morning person, and I love my kid, but he gets in the way when I am trying to push it during my workout. Like you, I've tried getting him involved, etc. but he's three and still kind of at that age where he wants attention etc.

I used to workout after he went to bed at around 8PM but I often found myself slacking on my workouts or debating with myself throughout the day on whether I feel like working out or not lol. Also, if I had the time and my home/gym was closer I would try exercising at lunch.

Take advantage of your weekends!! I save all the 'household chores' for Saturday and Sunday. Of course, I pick up around myself during the week, but everything else is saved for the weekends (are they old enough to help with chores?). Also, Sundays I do all my prepping for my cooking and map out my meal plans for the week. That way each day I don't have to spend as much time on the cooking. This is also where they can get involved (if they are old enough).

Overall, single dad you got the right mentality. There are a ton of small things you can do to get more organized but all in all, do the best you can. If it means you have to break your workouts into smaller routines (30 min in the AM and 30 min at night, etc.) then do what you gotta do!

Hope I've helped!
  • wvjanie
    wvjanie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Getting up early is also an option. Some good ideas. Might I suggest that you explain to your children why you are feeding them the food you are giving them (I'm assuming it is healthy) and then don't give them a choice to eat something else (part of being the parent). Tastes can develop with exposure. In the "old days" our parents put the food on the table and you either ate it or went hungry, after enough time hunger won out and we ate it. Keeping as much of your life as simple as possible is essential in finding times for what is truly important. Good luck to you, the important thing is to just keep moving forward and be flexible and creative. You are an inspiration to many here of MFP.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    To say what most are saying. How old are the kids? I wake up at 5AM sometimes to go jogging before everyone is awake. And I do my strength training stuff at night after they go to bed. Its tough but if it's what I want to do that's what I have to work with.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options
    Okay, my situation is I'm a single dad that works til 6pm. I have custody of my kids which I love more than anything. Question is how do you make time for your exercises or workouts when everything else comes first? Don't laugh but, cleaning the house, cooking the meals( which they won't eat what I eat), doing laundry, grocery shopping and yard work doesn't leave much time for workouts. Is there any single dads out there running into the same problems and do you have an answer? I tried involving the kids in my workouts but they are active in their sports also.:grumble:
    Dude, you don't do laundry, and yard work every day. Every gym has child care (if you kids are young). You can do an hour a day and be efficient. And you need it or you'll be like many moms I know who take out their stress and frustrations out on the kids and SO instead of spending time with themselves. If it's important to you, you will MAKE time for a workout somewhere in the day.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Use your kids as weights. Perfect for arm curls. Do bench presses with your kids on top of you. Or have them sit on your back while you do pushups. Get a pull up bar and let your kids "hang out" while you're doing pull ups. My dad use to do these things to my brother and I and we got a "kick" out of it (I had to LOL at myself for the pun). Then we grew too old and heavy. Like others have said, incorporating your kids into your exercising is an easy option (like with the team sports). My dad was also my baseball coach so I learned from those experiences. He was very involved with our physical development because he wanted us to grow up into top athletes.

An in home gym really helps, and it does not have to be extravagant. Just the basics for general conditioning and maintenance. A pull up bar, a flat bench with the back extension, maybe some free weights. There are SO many things you can do with just a bench alone. You can look into body weight exercises too. This sounds silly but I like to do pushups while I'm grilling chicken....
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom of a teenage boy and I have to schedule my workouts during my 15 minute breaks at work (walking), along with working out while he's at sports practice. I get off work at 4:30 and get home by 5 p.m. I start dinner and will work out until just before having to leave to pick him up from evening practice at 6:15. Every little bit helps, ya know?

If you pick them up from sports and they're too beat to work out with you, give them fun things to do while you work out. While you ride your stationary bike, they can do homework. While you do your kickboxing DVD, they can do an art project (or cheer you on? lol).

Without knowing the age of your kids, I'm not sure if you can leave them on their own while you take a jog around the block.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom of 6 year old twins. I get home at 6pm as well. Cook dinner, do laundry (yes daily if I can manage), do homework, bathe kids, read books, pack up their lunch for school the next day & my breakfast for work the next day, pick out everyone's clothes for the next day, get them to bed at 8pm and I workout from 9pm-1030ish... sometimes later. I also workout during my lunch break if I feel I need a smidge more. It's possible. Of course, I sacrifice a lot. I don't stay online chatting all night like I'd like to. I don't go out with friends (even if I had a babysitter, I would just go to a workout class) and I no longer watch television or movies. That's just how it is for me. :)
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll try to respond to all in one post. I already don't get enough sleep from being the only adult and doing everything, single moms know what I mean. If you don't have the energy to workout because of lack of sleep how good would your workout be. As for the gym, I have one, all free weights and cable machine from power lifting years(600lbs worth). As for coaching, I coached fastpitch travel softball at the highest level, coaching doesn't burn enough calories. My daughter is 17 and a junior in HS, my son is 11 in middle school. I guess I will have to fore go some sleep to get it done. I run a business for my X in-laws they are dealing with cancer right now. I get no breaks at work. If you can help get homework done( AP calc,AP bio,etc.), do dinner for them,laundry baths in bed by 8pm, wait til they get older. I also can't afford gyms, dude. I don't live with my mom either, I have a house and make payments. We live in the country away from others too.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Well I am a single mother of a 10 year old. . I don't know how old your kids are, but I used to go to the gym and my daughter would stay at the kids club while I worked out. .

As for working out at home: I too run the house. . I live with my mom, so I cook, clean, do yardwork, and such as well. . I either would recommend getting up and working out before your kids are up or I workout. . after she goes to bed. . Just my thoughts.

PS: there are great workout DVDs and workouts online that you can do at home.
  • fakeplastictree
    Options
    Ok, I'll try to respond to all in one post. I already don't get enough sleep from being the only adult and doing everything, single moms know what I mean. If you don't have the energy to workout because of lack of sleep how good would your workout be. As for the gym, I have one, all free weights and cable machine from power lifting years(600lbs worth). As for coaching, I coached fastpitch travel softball at the highest level, coaching doesn't burn enough calories. My daughter is 17 and a junior in HS, my son is 11 in middle school. I guess I will have to fore go some sleep to get it done.

Ask them to help out with the laundry too so that way you aren't stuck being the only one doing it. My daughter is 8 and she helps put it away. Just try to make sure you get at least 6 hours (nice amount for single parents). Try breaking your sessions up if you want to do a lot of power lifting stuff. If you can only get a few minutes in in the morning and maybe some more in at night, do that.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll try to respond to all in one post. I already don't get enough sleep from being the only adult and doing everything, single moms know what I mean. If you don't have the energy to workout because of lack of sleep how good would your workout be. As for the gym, I have one, all free weights and cable machine from power lifting years(600lbs worth). As for coaching, I coached fastpitch travel softball at the highest level, coaching doesn't burn enough calories. My daughter is 17 and a junior in HS, my son is 11 in middle school. I guess I will have to fore go some sleep to get it done.

You're kids are old enough to be more self sufficient. Have THEM cook dinner and clean it up. Have THEM do the laundry or mow the lawn. I played both high school and club sports growing up. I still had to set and clear the table every night, bring the laundry down and sort it, mow the lawn (alternating with my sister), and help with the house cleaning - even if they are responsible for just their room and bathroom.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    ok, I am a single mom with 2 small kids. Waking up early, so not an option for me. I teach and have to be at work at the crack of dawn. I use dvd's when I cannot get to the gym. My stand buy is the 30 day shred, because it is only a 20 minute workout and a lot of nights, that is all I have to give! This summer I joined the Y. They have free baby sitting and in the Y that I am at they have a "kidz zone" that has a climbing structure so it keeps my older guy entertained too. There is one kid that even brings his portable DVD player with him. A couple nights a week I pack dinner for them, and they think it is a treat to eat there.

I know your pain. Feel free to message me if you need to.
  • fakeplastictree
    Options

You're kids are old enough to be more self sufficient. Have THEM cook dinner and clean it up. Have THEM do the laundry or mow the lawn. I played both high school and club sports growing up. I still had to set and clear the table every night, bring the laundry down and sort it, mow the lawn (alternating with my sister), and help with the house cleaning - even if they are responsible for just their room and bathroom.

^^^^^^This!!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I am a single father of 2 kids. 13 and 8 and 1 is deaf. I also have custody. I have a YMCA membership. They have daycare if your kids are younger and activities if they are older. My boy turns 13 this week and will be old enough to hit the weight room and I will then also start lifting weights. After I work out we go swimming. I turned my cable off last May so now that its getting cooler the YMCA is big part of our nightly entertainment. Also kids can do chores!! Its motiviation everyday for kids to get chores and homework done so we can go to the YMCA. Also we bike ride. At 375lb I rode a bike. It was my only workout till I lost enough weight to do more. Good Luck!!

I`m not a single mom but my hubby works crazy and travels very often so I`m like a single parent imo as I`m the only one the kids see 90% of the time. With that said I agree with the above we also have a ymca and I use there child care room (the one we have is free for members to use for kids 12 and under and if kids are over 12 they have a little y`ers club they can hang out and do activetys in while parents workout). We also go swimming after my workouts and that is our family time in the evenings I limit TV as much as possible and my girls are ages 4 and 6 and yep they have chores as well and they really do enjoy helping make the chores fun by letting them feel big while helping you out they will love it and it will help you get some free time in at home as well.
    Most YMCA`s also offer a parents night out once a month which I love its one free evening a month to myself for a few hours and my kids have a blast hanging out with all there friends in a safe place.
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options

At 11, my son does his own laundry, cleans his bathroom, helps cook, helps with trash and dishes and anything else I ask him to do. Get your kids to help out around the house, it is teaching them some great life skills.

Plus at that age, they are old enough to give you at least 30 minutes. If you are trying to get in some 2 hour workout, I would say that's taking too much time away from the kids. But, 30-45 minutes is one episode of a tv show. I'm sure it's tough when you don't get home until 6.

I would probably take 30 minutes a day and a long workout on the weekend.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't translate into all parents with multiple kids, only single parents. Too many suggestions and not enough info on my part. I guess you gotta walk in someone elses shoes to see what I mean. With the school work load(AP classes) for my daughter, her high school sports, travel sports, visiting colleges, ball camps and trying to let her be a teenager which she hasn't had time to do. The son struggled with the divorce, and just now getting back to normal. I'm not complaining just looking for suggestions. I'm sure some have it worse than me. Good luck everybody.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    your kids are old enough to do more

just saw your post on them being 17 and 11 in one more year your oldest will be considered an adult its time to give her some adult chores if you haven`t already she can watch her bother while you work out. I have a 16year old that will baby sit my girls for an hour while I do the shopping once a week. You have tons of options with older kids.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Could you work out in the morning, leave you daughter with your son? Or would you have time at lunch, late at night? You have to take care of you cause like you said, you are all they have too. You need to take care of you. The gym that I work at has a little room that the kids stay in to watch TV or something while their parents work out. Hope you figure something out.