What have you completely given up?

Options

Replies

• mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    That's what I was thinking. Eating 'clean' is the one thing I actually enjoy eating.
    Eating "clean"

I'm confused....you gave up eating clean?

Why would you give that up? Isn't that a good thing?
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    Nothing. I have cut back on things and found alternatives but there is nothing I have completely cut out. I find it works best for me to know I can have whatever I want.

:drinker:
  • shad1018
    shad1018 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Nothing - everything in moderation. That's what this makes MFP sustainable!:tongue:

My thoughts exactly!
  • JessicaMarie9382
    Options
    I have given up pop (soda for everyone who isn't midwestern :wink:) I'm 9 months "clean" from pop! I still to this day crave a coke or my fave....DR. Pepper *drools* Also, I have cut WAYYYYYY back from fast food (McDonalds, Burger Kings, Wendy's....I will still go to subway and chipotle) I will maybe go.....1 a month, sometimes not even that.
    Also, alcohol has been cut way down too. I'm only going out drinking maybe once a month and not drinking nearly what I was.
    I've giving up being lazy, unmotivated and always tired! Thanks to the gym and losing 37lbs! I'm 13lbs from my first goal and then will be half way to my ultimate goal!! Wheee!
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    i quit caffiene, but now that its been a few years i am slowly alloweing myself coffee as a treat from time to time.

And i've been a vegetarian for 6 years, so meat.

But junk food wise? Not a thing-everything in moderation.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    binging on deep dish, heart attack inducing, get your own this is my pie, pizza.

now I have thin crust.
  • KettyLan
    KettyLan Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    COMPLETELY GIVEN UP:
    french fries
    onion rings
    cookies
    ice cream
    cake
    soda
    sugary juices
    white rice
    red meats
    anything dairy (lactose intolerant) but i have almond milk
  • harmonysdream
    harmonysdream Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Cigarettes are the ONLY thing I've given up that I didnt have to give up because of a separate medical problem.
  • mrs_madame
    mrs_madame Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've actually given up is soda! Well, any drink that isn't water really. I still do some processed foods, some fast food, some of pretty much everything, because for me, I don't think dieting should be about giving things up. It should be about learning to control yourself enough to be able to have a little of everything if you want it. The only reason I gave up sugary drinks is because...well they are pure sugar basically, and I feel like if I'm going to drink 150 calories...well heck I'd rather eat it instead! All I drink now is water, sometimes tea, it's really yummy :)
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Gave up alcohol for 60 days, maybe longer (on day 12 right now).
    Gave up pop. (Although, I had a 7up after my surgery yesterday to settle my stomach.)
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've given up soda, meats (including fish), fast food, junk food, items with dairy, zero calorie sweeteners and some other things.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I won't give up anything. If I try to keep myself from something, I'll want it more. So, as long as I stay within my calories, I can have whatever I want. That being said, each mouthful for me is now a real decision. Is the taste of the rootbeer float really worth not being able to have cheese and mayo on my sandwich? Do I really want that cookie more than a handful of roasted peanuts? I find that approaching it this way, I'm eating better and better every day. Because it's rarely worth the "treat" type food calories.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    That's what I was thinking. Eating 'clean' is the one thing I actually enjoy eating.
    Eating "clean"

I'm confused....you gave up eating clean?

Why would you give that up? Isn't that a good thing?

I think he means eating everything "clean", i.e. no ice cream, no takeaways, no delicious, but high calorie food. Everything is fine in moderation! The more you give up, the harder it will make it.
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've given up the pizza buffet with my coworkers, letting them talk me into eating WAY too much. I've given up feeling sorry for myself and being a lazy *kitten*. I've given up spending a ton of money on crap, I only spend a little on crap very infrequently now! Oh and I've given up 14 pounds so far, do NOT want that back! I read the other posts about giving up cookies or candy or snack junk food, I just don't have that problem. I just am a picky eater and eat WAY too much of it. That's changing thanks to MFP and my friends who keep me in check. I've given up doing this all alone! (I might be married, but that doesn't mean my husband is on the same page as me! And I can't wait for him any longer!)
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Full fat dairy. And I'm not missing it - I have been eating low fat dairy instead, and now enjoy the lack of greasiness.

Muesli bars. That hurt. But they are sugar, sugar, and more sugar.

Cheerios. Again, sugar, sugar, more sugar. Now I eat Porridge and Weetbix for breakfast.

Hot chips. Really, I don't have the calories for them ever.

Most other things I still work into my diet in some capacity, even if it is limited.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

I think he means eating everything "clean", i.e. no ice cream, no takeaways, no delicious, but high calorie food. Everything is fine in moderation! The more you give up, the harder it will make it.

Oh, interesting. I tend to think of eating clean as no artificial ingredients, etc. Yes, yes, on some level everything is a "chemical" but it's more about choosing raw honey as a sweetener over aspartame, even though honey has calories because you're putting something natural in your body over something that's artificial.

The idea that a food's artificiality as a direct impact on how the body uses it for energy via respiration is the subject of some debate, of course.

There is such a thing as "clean" ice cream, for example, it just doesn't last as long because there's nothing in there to preserve it. To me, eating clean has nothing to do with high calorie or low calorie as such.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing. To give up stuff I like would be an unhappy life.
  • ohraspberries13
    Options
    I'm into the whole moderation thing too, but I cannot let myself drink soda. I used to drink at least one coke a day. The caffeine withdraws suck.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    This is pretty much how we try to eat and how I think of clean eating.

Oh, interesting. I tend to think of eating clean as no artificial ingredients, etc. Yes, yes, on some level everything is a "chemical" but it's more about choosing raw honey as a sweetener over aspartame, even though honey has calories because you're putting something natural in your body over something that's artificial.

The idea that a food's artificiality as a direct impact on how the body uses it for energy via respiration is the subject of some debate, of course.

There is such a thing as "clean" ice cream, for example, it just doesn't last as long because there's nothing in there to preserve it. To me, eating clean has nothing to do with high calorie or low calorie as such.