The scent of a man...

Options
124»

Replies

• NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    No. I've always preferred men who smelled like engine grease and a run in the rain...

perfecto.

Lol, I use Irish Spring bodywash, the same deodorant..., and work outdoors in the weather. Sun, wind, and rain, with my natural smell and whatevers left of my soap pretty much covers me.

Except on weekends...which is usually when I preferred work on whatever Mustang project was close at hand. So then it would be oil, gasoline, old car leather, my natural smell, and whatevers left of my soap.

I guess I'm just low maintenance when it comes to that stuff lol.

Ummmmm...YUM
  • FindingFit50s
    Options
    there this nivea gel for aftershave for guys...OMG OMG!!

YESSSSSS!!!! that's what my husband uses and it makes me crazy -- good crazy! It's soooo subtle, but enticing. When he comes to kiss me good-bye in the mornings, it makes me want to pull him back into the bed!

I HATE the overpowering smell, no matter how good the smell is. I should only be able to smell it if I'm right beside you, and it should just make me wanna lean in closer for a better whiff. Anything more than that is *too much*! That goes for men and women!

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Please, please, please, people..... DO NOT douse yourself with cologne or perfume on the way to the gym thinking it will mask body odor! I'd rather smell a little b.o. than be overwhelmed by some cologne. Men have been the worst offenders in my gym. I actually had to leave the gym one day because the obnoxious cologne almost brought on an asthma attack and made me feel nauseated. RULE TO REMEMBER: Clean sweat does not stink! All you need is a shower & deodorant for the gym!!
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've explained this before and I'll explain it again.

In the shower:
    Body Wash: Canus Goat's Milk Soap
    Shampoo/Conditioner: Garnier products
    Facial Scrubs: St. Ives Apricot (once a week), Noxema

Shaving (The Art of Shaving Products):
    Pre-Shave Lavender Oil
    Lavender Essential Oil Shaving Cream [applied with Fine Badger Brush]
    Lavender After-Shave Balm

Deodorant and Moisturizing:
    Weleda Sage Deodorant Spray
    Aveeno Body Lotion with SPF 15

Dental Hygiene:
    Colgate Toothpaste
    Dental Floss

Cologne:
    John Varvatos or Ralph Lauren Double Black

A few take-away points from this:
    1. Between the baby soap with goat's milk and the lavender shaving product, it's no secret that I have sensitive skin.
    2. Most people wear too much cologne. The rule of thumb is that it should be worn daily, but only smelled by a lover.
    3. Most people don't floss enough.
    4. Shave with a straight razor. It's cathartic to dedicate half an hour to shaving your face and it always ends up looking better.
    5. There is no such thing as a "masculine" or "feminine" scent. Aromas do not have gender...that's really all about marketing. Santa Maria Novella's Melograno or Jo Malone's Lime Basil & Mandarin may be marketed to women, but mix one of those into your cologne regime guys.
    6. If you wear antiperspirant, you will sweat more.
    7. Care about how you look. If you care about how you look, other people will notice.

Cheers.
    -wtk

lol, um....no. ill stick to bathing regularly, shaving my head with shaving cream and keeping my self trimmed and primed.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    is lingering in my dryer right now and making all my clothes smell like Axe body spray.

It's nauseating.

It makes me wonder- do women (or men who like men) really like a man to smell like this?
    It depends on the scent of Axe..One of them..Kilo I think smells like a vanilla scent that my husband and I both like. The rest? Meh.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    When I first started dating my bf, he always kept some of his clothes in the dresser drawer where he kept his Coast soap, so I was always drawn to that scent. He won't use cologne.

What I love is Scentsy's Simply Irresistible. It reminds me of a man's cologne, and I use it in my car.

if I smell a great cologne on a guy, I could probably follow that guy around for a while!! (until he noticed that is!) ha ha
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't date anybody who used axe.
    My nose is very sensitive.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    i like the smell but not when its first put on cause its too much when sprayed
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    i love the smell of my husband after he has showered and shaved. he will kill me for this but he uses oil of olay body wash and the combo of that and his aftershave are my favorite. not only that but i love love love watching him shave his face.

when he isnt home i usually sleep with his pillow. his natural scent warms my heart. i love when its cold and he offers me his coat and i can smell him constantly.

i also buy by 5 year old axe and cologne. i love to smell him too and i want him to be that guy that loves to smell good for his woman. :)

he is asleep right now, i think i will go smell him
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options

In the shower:

Pre-Shave Lavender Oil

Dental Hygiene:
    Colgate Toothpaste
    Dental Floss

Cologne:

1. Between the baby soap with goat's milk and the lavender shaving product, it's no secret that I have sensitive skin.
    2. Most people wear too much cologne. The rule of thumb is that it should be worn daily, but only smelled by a lover.
    4. Shave with a straight razor. It's cathartic to dedicate half an hour to shaving your face and it always ends up looking better.
    5. There is no such thing as a "masculine" or "feminine" scent. Aromas do not have gender...that's really all about marketing. Santa Maria Novella's Melograno or Jo Malone's Lime Basil & Mandarin may be marketed to women, but mix one of those into your cologne regime guys.
    7. Care about how you look. If you care about how you look, other people will notice.

Cheers.
    -wtk

lol, um....no. ill stick to bathing regularly, shaving my head with shaving cream and keeping my self trimmed and primed.

Amen to that. Head and Shoulders, when required, Dial soap, electric shaver, no cologne. Unscented deo. To go through all that stuff listed above just means you either have too much time on your hands, you are single, and you are a marketing executive's wet dream. But hey, if it floats your boat.... (but seriously, 30 minutes a day to shave? I get out of bed, shower, shave, get dressed, make my lunch and leave the house for work in 20 minutes.)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

In the shower:

Pre-Shave Lavender Oil

Dental Hygiene:
    Colgate Toothpaste
    Dental Floss

Cologne:

Cheers.
    -wtk

Amen to that. Head and Shoulders, when required, Dial soap, electric shaver, no cologne. Unscented deo. To go through all that stuff listed above just means you either have too much time on your hands, you are single, and you are a marketing executive's wet dream. But hey, if it floats your boat.... (but seriously, 30 minutes a day to shave? I get out of bed, shower, shave, get dressed, make my lunch and leave the house for work in 20 minutes.)

LOL no kidding. I didn't want to put the guy down by saying it though lol. To each their own right? I mean, on one hand there's something to be said about taking care of yourself, whether male, or female, and while I may personally think the length he goes to is a little overboard/effeminate...it's clear there's a section of the female population that loves it.

Good for him =D.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options

In the shower:

Pre-Shave Lavender Oil

Dental Hygiene:
    Colgate Toothpaste
    Dental Floss

Cologne:

Cheers.
    -wtk

LOL no kidding. I didn't want to put the guy down by saying it though lol. To each their own right? I mean, on one hand there's something to be said about taking care of yourself, whether male, or female, and while I may personally think the length he goes to is a little overboard/effeminate...it's clear there's a section of the female population that loves it.

Good for him =D.

He washes his body, his face, his teeth and his hair. He just lists products I like. It's true I love the smell of good, clean soap and lavender which is what you would smell. It's in all my linen closets. The cologne and perfume for women - they used to teach you how to use it. Now they just buy it for youngsters and they evidently have to guess (mostly wrong btw). Everybody should not smell you before you enter the room which is what his entire statement is about. And yes, this segment loves it;) I'm guessing you wash those things too:flowerforyou:
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    is lingering in my dryer right now and making all my clothes smell like Axe body spray.

It's nauseating.

It makes me wonder- do women (or men who like men) really like a man to smell like this?

How much body spray does that man use? Lol, I use cologne every now and then. But always use body spray with a quick second burst at least twice. Lots of men, literally drench themselves in body spray or cologne, some of which are just strong. I like the subtle type colognes/sprays. But that's just me, and I do like the smell of women's perfume/spray/lotion lingering anywhere. Lol
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    He washes his body, his face, his teeth and his hair. He just lists products I like. It's true I love the smell of good, clean soap and lavender which is what you would smell. It's in all my linen closets. The cologne and perfume for women - they used to teach you how to use it. Now they just buy it for youngsters and they evidently have to guess (mostly wrong btw). Everybody should not smell you before you enter the room which is what his entire statement is about. And yes, this segment loves it;) I'm guessing you wash those things too:flowerforyou:

Well, of course we wash the same body parts lol. That wasn't really the point. I rarely use shaving cream...hell, other than my neck, I rarely shave beyond using my clippers when I do my head. When I shave my neck or decide for some reason to trim my face, it's soapy water lol. My comment (and the others as well I think) was more directed at the point that it takes me less time to get ready than it took to read his product list lol.

Again, nothing against him for it. If I had a wife or girlfriend that enjoyed that kind of thing, I'd have no problem accomodating her. Since I don't...I'm a bit more relaxed about it all lol. I'd rather spend the extra time doing other things I enjoy...I mean...if I weren't in fact single...the extra 35 minutes in the morning before work could come in awful handy =D.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    To dive back into the topic, I usually shave two or three times a week. I keep around that casual stubble length that says, "Despite being the young guy amongst these suits, I am not going to fall into the norm of three inch thick ties and black socks. I am not trying to impress you--you should already be impressed."

I think I explained quite candidly that too many men drench themselves in cologne or aftershave. One spritz is usually plenty. After all, you should only be smelled when intimately entering someone's space. That doesn't just mean when hooking up with your boss's daughter in the filing office or whatever it is you do. To wit, leaning over someone's shoulder to fix a computer problem in an office is a decent time to be smelled. Walking into that office is not when you should be smelled.

I, too, am often single; however, it is because I choose to be. I am selfish and vain and frankly, few girls deserve me. But I am never lonely. So add some shaving cream into the mix and care about how you look and feel and people will notice. But when they do, don't become complacent...if you want a little early-morning action, wake up an hour earlier...or show up to work late. Just dont say "car trouble."
    -wtk
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    No. I've always preferred men who smelled like engine grease and a run in the rain...

Same here! I love the way my boyfriend smells after he's been working on the car or after he's been working outside all day :)