How soon do you delete people that have not logged in

Options

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    If you will be gone for any length of time you need to note this on your PROFILE wall so people know you will be back eventually.

I delete after 30 days inactive unless I see an explanation.

Seriously? It's the internet. Get over yourself.

I don't delete people b/c they don't login, it's not like I pay for each friend.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have a very small friends list and I interact with all of the people who are on it. The only way I would delete any of them would be if we weren't getting along anymore.

I don't accept very many friend requests (almost none) for this very reason. I need to keep my friends list limited to people whom I actually consider friends.
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you've been through a lot lately and I would NEVER delete anyone who disappeared for a short amount of time. However....

I have deleted a few friends. If my news feed is telling me you haven't logged in for a week or two weeks, I'll send you a note to ask if everything is OK. I'll keep doing this for a while, as I think that is me holding up my end of the bargain to support and motivate my MFP friends. If the person is gone for 60+ days and never responds to anything I write to them, then yes, I will delete them.

Sorry, but if you can't be bothered to log into MFP for 2 months plus, then I seriously doubt I will be getting any support from you anytime soon. The MFP street works both ways and I don't feel bad at all deleting some friends on MFP that are nonexistent. This isn't a high school Facebook contest to see who can collect the most friends. If I am friends with you on MFP, I will be commenting on your status and interacting with you, as I want you to succeed as badly as I want it for myself!

Exactly what Mel said... DITTO
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Wait. I lied. I do delete a couple of people.

usually it's the ones who log "exercise calories" for stupid things such as...

cleaning the house
    preaching
    at work
    unloading groceries
  • KEN1013
    KEN1013 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Well i have to say i've just deleted some people today. I think you should log in and say soemthing. If you are going to be out for a while just drop a little note on your profile. We are all here because we need support. If a person goes more than 30 days without logging in then i feel they don't wanna use the site anymore. Also if a person never says anything to me then i wonder why they friended me. I don't use MFP like myspace - I wanna have real interactions not try to see who can have the most friends.

i agree with this !!!!!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I don't. The only reasons I'd ever delete anyone is:

1) they repeatedly say stuff that bothers me.

2) they post a lot of irrelevant stuff, flooding my newsfeed.

I don't really mind people disappearing, even for a long time. On this particular issue, it's only what I SEE that bugs me. What I don't see doesn't bug me.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I used to delete sooner but now I seem to be just letting them hang out in my friends list. I won't delete you if I haven't sent a little note encouraging you to come back. I did this with someone recently and he commented to me that my note to him was what drew him back to the site. Makes me happy that I gave him encouragement because my friend's list isn't just for people to help me but me to be there for them too. I've had people show up after a couple of months and apologize for being gone and get right back to business. I guess it depends on what you need from your friends. If you only want people who are gung ho and on fire all the time then I guess you'd better pare them down. I personally have ups and downs with my own journey and plan to take it slow and easy so when someone struggles I can relate.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that people delete because "they don't post on my wall or comment on my updates or haven't logged in, etc..." really people?!? Sometimes life happens, and sometimes after a long day @ work the last thing people want to do is sit down and comment on 20,30,40,50+ friends profiles....I agree that we are here for support, motivation and what not, but how supportive are these people "unfriending" because of such trivial issues?

Exactly!!

I only "unfriend" for rudeness or if people clearly have different goals than I do. (ie. using MFP to perpetuate eating disorders rather than for getting healthy or seeking help.)
  • Letty_c
    Letty_c Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    ok really if there is something going on that you're worried about or something important you need to take care of why would putting a note on mfp be the first thing to go through you're mind.... I know it wouldn't be the first thing I thought of ooooo my gosh I need to go put a note on mfp because I'm going to be gone for a week or so and if i don't the people on my friends list aren't going to be there anymore!!!! people on your frends list are suppose to be there to support you and you to support them obviously the person who deleted you that fast didn't care to be there to support you they only cared about u supporting them.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how independant you are. I don't feel I need my hand held everyday and can go a week without interaction. :)
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I went on vacation for a week and was unfriended by somebody. They had asked to be my friend even though we don't post in a lot of the same threads. She told me I was not being supportive of her.

I guess I got voted off the island.

Too strange...sorry I took vacation
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I unfriend people who never talk to me. I don't have a set amount of inactive time that I will unfriend- but if they never log on, don't input their food & exercise AND never talk to me then what is the point? I think after reading this I will send an inactive friend a message before deleting them- I didn't realize people got offended...
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    It doesn't bother me when people don't log on. I just hope they are doing well and will get to their desired goal.
  • xaniza
    xaniza Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't delete anyone, you can friend me if you want. The more people that I know can actively see my posts/exercise/diary the better I try to do lol

<3 sorry about your friend :(
  • madubil
    madubil Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's tragedy. I don't think I'd delete anyone for not logging in. I don't delete my friends in real life for not talking to them for a week.

seriously- I cant imagine deleting a friend from my phone- or my facebook page if they dont call, text or whatever for a week, month, quarter- if anything it makes me concerned that they are going thru something and may need a friend more than ever. I'm sorry to hear that- but the good news it sounds like you found who your real supporters are- so be glad you found out and it only took a week..... ;)
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    I think it's funny that people delete because "they don't post on my wall or comment on my updates or haven't logged in, etc..." really people?!? Sometimes life happens, and sometimes after a long day @ work the last thing people want to do is sit down and comment on 20,30,40,50+ friends profiles....I agree that we are here for support, motivation and what not, but how supportive are these people "unfriending" because of such trivial issues?

Exactly!!

I only "unfriend" for rudeness or if people clearly have different goals than I do. (ie. using MFP to perpetuate eating disorders rather than for getting healthy or seeking help.)

Agreed! I wonder what would happen if we walked around in real life and told acquaintances that we no longer wanted them in our lives because they weren't making enough effort. I suppose my Christmas card list would be significantly shorter.
  • Logansmom2011
    Logansmom2011 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have never unfriended anyone even if they have slipped and haven't logged in...we are only human and friendship should be alittle stronger than that

I totally agree.You shouldn't shut people out of your life because they have slipped back to old habits.If anything you should try and help them not drop them. We all need a little push and reminder that people care.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    For me it depends. If I'm not attached or have different goals and they dont login for a week or so I will delete them. If someone consistently not login in for 3 or 4 days at a time this shows me they are not serious enough for my liking.
  • cutie2superhottie
    cutie2superhottie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just found this site but I personally would never delete anyone for not logging in .If you have been out for a while Ill always welcome you back and be supportive. I have had draw back on my journey to better health.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    For me if it is more than 6 months then I delete them I know I was deleted off some of my friends list b/c I disappeared, but I told everyone I was disappearing for a while to deal with my daughters health. But its all good, I'm looking for new friends if anyone wants to add me