When did you (or your child) stop believing in Santa

Options
13»

Replies

• LoreeBelle
    LoreeBelle Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My 8.5 year old figured out the Easter Bunny this year. Since she has a 5 year old sister, we kept it between us and she was thrilled with her basket full of stuff.

This same 8.5 year old lost a tooth on Monday and the Tooth Fairy brought her $2. She never batted an eye or questioned it.

Not sure how she’ll do the Santa thing this year. I'm guessing there will be a quiet conversation like the one we had at Easter...

HOWEVER, I always get great gifts from Santa! He knows all my favorite things! He may even have stashed a few things away for me for Christmas this year already.

P.S. If I relied on my husband, MY stocking would be empty every year. Even BEFORE I was married and living on my own, Santa found me every year!!!

Love the spirit of the jolly ol’ elf!
    Loree
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    never believed in santa
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I think I was 7. I figured it out when I noticed that the gift tags from Santa had the same handwriting as the gift tags from my parents.

My son is 7 now. I'm hoping he'll figure it out soon. We want to get away from the material part of Christmas and start spending the money on fun family activities like Disney World or trips up north to see family. I think these things make for much better memories than a gift grab, but as long as my kids believe in Santa, Santa will come.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not going to tell her unless she comes home from school and asks. I like the idea of talking to her about the spirit of Christmas. Regardless, I should have a couple months before I have to deal with it. Thanks!
  • Rudy21usu
    Options
    Well I have been referring to my self as "Blue Santa" a repacement santa in training for years but If i keep losing wait I will have to break it to my 9 year old....he still believes!
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I was in first grade(7) when I asked my mom if it was true that Santa wasn't real. She told me I was right. I wasn't devastated or anything- more like that sucks, oh well.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I am 21 and still write letters to Santa yearly. I also spread "reindeer food" on my lawn and leave out cookies (with a note saying the milk is in the fridge in the 21 year old christmas mug that it always has been). Really, it's setting an example for my neices and nephew to stay young at heart and that sometimes you just need to believe that there is someone in the world who is always jolly and asks for nothing but a cookie. (ahem, don't tell-i am Jingle-Jangle the elf who answers their letters on behalf of the big man in red. and i send a baggie of reindeer food just like some nice stranger did for me when i was younger) and it's tradition in my house. Writing the letter never fails to put me in the christmas spirit and for me it's like watching Frosty the Snowman and decorating the tree-it just isn't christmas unless i do!
  • argharna
    Options
    My 11 year old son keeps telling me santa not real I tell him prove it and say Just cause you cant see him doesnt mean he isnt real. I think my 6 year old and 4 year old dont belive that but I still have them write a letter every year and we take it to macy's to put in their mail box.
  • patilee
    patilee Posts: 125
    Options
    I told my kids once they stopped believing, then Santa wouldn't exist anymore. My oldest is 19, and doesn't ask (never did) mostly because he has a 13 year old brother. My 13 year old is "afraid" to spoil the illusion. LOL.
    I'm sure he knows better, but he still tells the story about th Christmas eve the playstation broke. The boys emailed santa for a new one. It took some doing, but there WAS a new playstation under the tree the next morning.
    Remember the Polar Express?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    My son is 9, and I know it's coming...I have a continuous fear that I'm accidentally going to spill the beans and ruin his tiny hopes and dreams...so I hope that this year is the year he gets that it's mom and dad, so I can stop panicking. I know that's a horrible thing to say, but I have been on pins and needles for the past 4 years hoping this isn't the year I ruin everything lol but there is no way I'm going to tell him myself, I'll let some jerk on the playground ruin it for him. We still talk about how my MIL ruined it for my nephew, because she flat out told him he doesn't exist. She thought he knew already, the kid was 8!!! So, let her believe as long as she can, and that way you won't be the bad guy. And to be honest with you, my fiance still gets presents from Mrs. Claus...cause she thinks he's HOT! :blushing:
  • Steel6981
    Steel6981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was 5 she asked why Santa didn't bring presents to the poorer kids. They were doing a drive for presents for children in the county and heard someone talking about it in day care. We sat down and talked about it then, but told her not to tell other kids.
  • patilee
    Options
    I think I was 7. I figured it out when I noticed that the gift tags from Santa had the same handwriting as the gift tags from my parents.

My son is 7 now. I'm hoping he'll figure it out soon. We want to get away from the material part of Christmas and start spending the money on fun family activities like Disney World or trips up north to see family. I think these things make for much better memories than a gift grab, but as long as my kids believe in Santa, Santa will come.

Santa has been known to bring very "odd" less material gifts to our family. There's no reason he can't send your family on a vacation. :smile:
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Santa was still real until I was in 5th grade. I kind of wish I'd found out sooner b/c I had my entire 5th grade class laughing at me one day. Go ahead and let your kid down easy. It's much better for you to find a way to do it gently than risking whatever humiliation your kid could suffer if their class finds out they're the last one in the class to know.

Edit: Just be sure to let them know that there might be other kids in their class that haven't found out yet, and that they shouldn't spoil it or make fun of anyone else.
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I was pretty young when I found out but I have six sisters and two brothers so until the youngest found out we were still getting stocking stuffers from our parents also. I hated to see those go when the youngest found out! :ohwell:
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I totally believe in Santa (I'm 31) and here's why.

My brother was born October 1984. I was 4 years old. My parents didn't have a lot of money and so there were things that were nice to have but not something that was a must have such as microwaves. I knew my mom wanted one because I had heard her mention she wished they could afford one especially with a baby in the house. I made up my mind and knew what I wanted for Christmas. My parents asked me hundreds of times what I wanted and I flat out refused to tell them. They finally took me to go see Santa at the mall. When he asked me what I wanted for Christmas I said I wanted a microwave for my mom. He said okay I know what your mom wants but what do you want. I said the only thing I wanted was for my mom to get her microwave. Santa was the only person I ever told what I wanted for Christmas that year. Christmas morning rolls around and there is a giant box under the tree that says "To: Mommy From: Santa." I got sooo excited. My mom opens the box and it's a new microwave. I think was 11 before I finally realized that there wasn't a man with flying raindeer that broke into my house to leave me presents but for YEARS I wondered how that microwave got under my tree. My parents finally explained it to me when I was about 17 or 18.

The man who played Santa at the mall just happened to know my parents and worked at an appliance store. He called my parents that night and asked if they knew what I had asked for. When my mom said no he proceeded to tell them and said to come into the store the next day. He was going to find a way for us to get that microwave even if he had to personally loan my parents the money and have them pay him back $1 at a time. They were able to come to an agreement (the details of which I don't know) and so Christmas morning my mom got her microwave.

So yes I am 31 years old and I believe in Santa.
  • patilee
    Options
    I totally believe in Santa (I'm 31) and here's why.

My brother was born October 1984. I was 4 years old. My parents didn't have a lot of money and so there were things that were nice to have but not something that was a must have such as microwaves. I knew my mom wanted one because I had heard her mention she wished they could afford one especially with a baby in the house. I made up my mind and knew what I wanted for Christmas. My parents asked me hundreds of times what I wanted and I flat out refused to tell them. They finally took me to go see Santa at the mall. When he asked me what I wanted for Christmas I said I wanted a microwave for my mom. He said okay I know what your mom wants but what do you want. I said the only thing I wanted was for my mom to get her microwave. Santa was the only person I ever told what I wanted for Christmas that year. Christmas morning rolls around and there is a giant box under the tree that says "To: Mommy From: Santa." I got sooo excited. My mom opens the box and it's a new microwave. I think was 11 before I finally realized that there wasn't a man with flying raindeer that broke into my house to leave me presents but for YEARS I wondered how that microwave got under my tree. My parents finally explained it to me when I was about 17 or 18.

The man who played Santa at the mall just happened to know my parents and worked at an appliance store. He called my parents that night and asked if they knew what I had asked for. When my mom said no he proceeded to tell them and said to come into the store the next day. He was going to find a way for us to get that microwave even if he had to personally loan my parents the money and have them pay him back $1 at a time. They were able to come to an agreement (the details of which I don't know) and so Christmas morning my mom got her microwave.

So yes I am 31 years old and I believe in Santa.

That's an awesome story!