Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I agree! along with cancer, diabetes needs a cure also! I lost family to both diseases and it's so hard when things can be done. Why is the wait 10 years for a transplant when we can use this money floating around and being wasted to making an artificial organ? why are people suffering from cancer when there could be a cure? if they can make a plane fly in the sky and people can walk on the moon and legs and arms can be reproduced and attached, something can be done..

bump!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    BUMP

Cancer runs rampant in my family...I've lost all of my grandparents to it and one of my uncles. My mom recently beat colon cancer (for now) -- Well said.
  • lyngoode
    lyngoode Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I understand there have been "advances" made, and there have been treatments for some forms of cancer made available... My point is that something MORE should be done... There is so much excess money floating around in the world foolishly, some of which could be used to maybe do MORE for the cause of finding a cure for ALL cancers..

Thank you.

But why concentrate on cancer. For a fraction of the money spent on cancer research you could provide everyone in the Third world with clean drinking water and anti-malaria drugs.
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i think we all know someone that has been affected by this horrible disease. that's hope a cure could be found
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Last night I along with most of humanity was saddened with the loss of Steve Jobs. Its hard to believe but in some way or another Steve Jobs had an impact on most people in the world.

This morning I woke up no longer saddened, but annoyed and pissed off.. With all the money floating around in the world being spent foolishly, why has there not been a cure for cancer?

I lost my grandmother 8 years ago to this disease, and I know a lot of you either know someone or hae a family member who has died from this disease. It is our modern day plague!

With all the millions and billions of dollars being spent on things that dont even mean to much to 99% of the population, why cant we focus just a bit more on finding a cure for cancer???

Im sorry if this post is coming across as a rant, but I promise you its not... Ive done what little bit I can personally to help fight this disease by making personal donations and doing other ACS sponsored events. I'm posting this in the hopes that it helps raise SOME awareness to this god awful disease.

Im not even sure if this is even allowed on the boards, so I hope the mods are a little lienient if it isnt...

I will end this post with a quote from Steve Jobs, his words say it all better than I could ever say it.

Thank you for reading this, and hopefully keeping this bumped for me.

"“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.­...." -Steve Jobs

Truth is, the government nor the pharmaceutical companies want to cure it. I am sitting now waiting to hear test results of my biopsy I had done on Monday to find out if I have uterine cancer or not.
  • cherdan
    cherdan Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Wha?? I don't think he was in any way heralding Jobs as some kind of "Messiah," he was simply lamenting the loss of a great man and the fact that often takes the death of a major public figure from (insert disease here) to get it really going in the public consciousness, being discussed, etc.

A little disrespectful..

What the girl said about being completely unaware of Jobs' illness until learning of his death says it all. I thought he was so humble, so dignified with the way he went about it publicly. He didn't want pity. I think that will be his legacy, moreso than Apple.
    It's sad to see anybody die at such a young age, but get a grip, he wasn't the Messiah. Regarding a 'cure' for cancer, huge advances have been made in the last decades and cancers that were life-sentences before are now treatable and in some cases curable.

RIP Steve Jobs and anybody else that dies young, but a little perspective required.
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    It's sad, for every 2 steps forward, there's a step back. We find something that works, and yet we fill our environment and our bodies with toxins. For every child that is saved from childhood cancers, there are others that perish. Until we stop polluting the world around, there will be more deaths from cancers...
  • 500lbs2marathon
    500lbs2marathon Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Wha?? I don't think he was in any way heralding Jobs as some kind of "Messiah," he was simply lamenting the loss of a great man and the fact that often takes the death of a major public figure from (insert disease here) to get it really going in the public consciousness, being discussed, etc.

A little disrespectful..

What the girl said about being completely unaware of Jobs' illness until learning of his death says it all. I thought he was so humble, so dignified with the way he went about it publicly. He didn't want pity. I think that will be his legacy, moreso than Apple.
    It's sad to see anybody die at such a young age, but get a grip, he wasn't the Messiah. Regarding a 'cure' for cancer, huge advances have been made in the last decades and cancers that were life-sentences before are now treatable and in some cases curable.

RIP Steve Jobs and anybody else that dies young, but a little perspective required.

Thank you.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I agree! along with cancer, diabetes needs a cure also! I lost family to both diseases and it's so hard when things can be done. Why is the wait 10 years for a transplant when we can use this money floating around and being wasted to making an artificial organ? why are people suffering from cancer when there could be a cure? if they can make a plane fly in the sky and people can walk on the moon and legs and arms can be reproduced and attached, something can be done..

bump!

While I agree that more should be done to cure Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes is able to be reversed and cured. There is no excuse for people dying of the complications of Type 2 Diabetes.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I too am saddened by this loss. He is at peace and I hope we find comfort in that.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • PhilipByrne
    Options

A little disrespectful..

Thank you.

Disrespectful how exactly? and of whom?

Am I the only one that thinks reaction to his death is over the top. Regarding not knowing he had cancer, how on earth could you not know. If you read a newspaper report about him or Apple in the last 12months you would know.

I repeat, RIP Steve Jobs and anyone else who dies young.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I agree cancer sucks and I too am saddened by the loss of a great visionary. An unboxed mind such as his doesn't come along every day. However I read something last night that made me wonder.

How much of his vast wealth did he give to cancer research?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Am i the only one who didn't know who he was? I'd never heard of him until this thread. :indifferent:
  • rmdiaz1
    rmdiaz1 Posts: 56
    Options
    Bump
  • PhilipByrne
    Options
    Am i the only one who didn't know who he was? I'd never heard of him until this thread. :indifferent:

That's cos he was NOT a Pastafarian.
  • 500lbs2marathon
    500lbs2marathon Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I agree cancer sucks and I too am saddened by the loss of a great visionary. An unboxed mind such as his doesn't come along every day. However I read something last night that made me wonder.

How much of his vast wealth did he give to cancer research?

Read this, something to think about... http://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahljacobs/2011/08/30/on-charity-steve-jobs-has-a-right-to-remain-silent/
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I know there is a lot of money floating around in the world and yet many thousands upon thousands are dying and die from starvation in East Africa and other parts of the world. 2.3 million children are severly malnourised in just East Africa RIGHT NOW! This ISN'T even a disease and could be CURED with money and resources.

In Somalia 750,000 are at risk of death. Nearly one million Somalis now live as refugees in the four neighbouring countries and one third of Somalis are currently displaced.

Hunger is the world biggest number 1 health risk. It kills more people than AIDS, TB and Malaria... COMBINED.

The problem with the hunger epidemic is developing countries and people with money, can't really comprehend or relate to it. The idea is so foreign. Heck, we are on here to LOSE weight! Much of our money (developed countries) goes into researching diseases that affect our lives but how can famine be allowed to exist? When there is a cure?

Just my rant.

RIP Everyone who has died from cancer or any other illness.