Options
    edited
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • ZachyABaby
    Options
    It's sad to see a thread honoring the greatest mind I've seen in my lifetime degraded to a debate. Sometimes it's better to just stfu than use every opportunity you get to spew your ego laden rhetoric. Ranting on the internet to try and seem like an uber intelligent, sophisticated and free thinking genius is dumb, get a new hobby.

And adding "oh yeah, rip dewd" onto the end of your rant is about as effective as adding "lol" to "i have aids".

Learn to read, then talk...

Here's your sign.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    My father-in-law, grandfather-in-law, and my maternal grandfather all died from various forms of cancer. My mother-in-law is in remission, but they just found more polyps ... This is a horrible disease!!!

I agree, why haven't they found a cure???

*Bump*

Because it's not a disease. There is no cure. Cancer is cellular mutation and it's actually the basis of evolution.

We just fuel the fire by pumping all kinds of lovely chemicals into our bodies via food, water, the air, drugs, cosmetics, etc. If you want to discourage corrosive cell mutation, eat healthy and organic, breathe fresh air, drink clean water, get a little sunshine and keep drugs and other harmful chemicals out of your system. That will give you a better chance.

That's my understanding anyway.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Stating that the neither the government nor pharmaceutical companies don't want to cure cancer is a pretty bold and baseless statement to make.

why is it a bold statement? pharmaceutical companies make their profit off of disease. you cure a disease and their profit goes *poof*. not generalizing every single person that works for pharmaceutical and not saying that what pharmaceuticals do isnt invaluable, but in my personal opinion making a profit seems to be above all else in our society especially when it comes to huge entities like pharmaceuticals. do you really think they look foward to cures that will put them out of business?
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My mother, grandmother, aunt, great-aunt and myself are all cancer survivors. Cancer can come from two places: genetic/hormonal or environmental. We can't stop our genetics, but we can clean up our environment. Cancer is an out of control cell mutation. While I agree that there needs to be a cure, until we quit polluting our environment and BODIES with crap, Cancer will remain in our systems. Look back before modern society was created. See how many diseases you find. Many diseases have come around due to the drastic change in our environment. We all have "cancer" in our systems it's just a trigger that is needed to start it on the path to malignant cancers.

RIP Steve. I'll be upgrading to the iPhone 4s just for you.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    My father-in-law, grandfather-in-law, and my maternal grandfather all died from various forms of cancer. My mother-in-law is in remission, but they just found more polyps ... This is a horrible disease!!!

I agree, why haven't they found a cure???

*Bump*

Because it's not a disease. There is no cure. Cancer is cellular mutation and it's actually the basis of evolution.

We just fuel the fire by pumping all kinds of lovely chemicals into our bodies via food, water, the air, drugs, cosmetics, etc. If you want to discourage corrosive cell mutation, eat healthy and organic, breathe fresh air, drink clean water, get a little sunshine and keep drugs and other harmful chemicals out of your system. That will give you a better chance.

That's my understanding anyway.

What she said.
  • nikkif87
    nikkif87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump
  • WillieEverlearn
    WillieEverlearn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    When someone famous like Steve Jobs dies of cancer, it's a sad event for all of us. Maybe even more so for those of us who have gone through diagnosis and treatment: it's once again a reminder of our dark days, and another confrontation with our own mortality. I'm a cancer survivor; I was diagnosed with lymphoma in 2007, treated, and doing well today. Even though Steve Jobs' death is sad, it's also an important opportunity to talk about cancer (which often gets capped as CANCER in our minds, and is much too big and scary), as well as other issues and causes.

There's reason to be optimistic about cancer treatments. Many, many cancers ARE curable. Even ones that 10 or 20 years ago were largely devastating (many forms of leukemia) are today very curable thanks to advances in research and treatment. We need to encourage development of new drugs and treatments, and one of the great needs is patients willing to participate in clinical trials. The data developed from clinical trials are fueling exciting, innovative new treatments for all kinds of cancer--including very specialized, individualized treatments. So there are advances, and causes for hope. All of us, from cancer patients to friends and family, need to remain focused on that.

As I said before, Cancer is a big, scary word. But many of us who have been through it, come through the experience being better for it. Not that we're happy about being diagnosed with cancer. Not at all. But going through it can mold us in important ways. I'm more focused on the people around me, letting them know how much I love them and how thankful I am for them. I'm less focused on things that loom large in day-to-day life (finances, job struggles, etc.), but in the end, aren't nearly as important as our health, happiness, friends and family. In an odd way, a cancer diagnosis can be an opportunity for some to heal broken relationships, and become a more thankful and intentional person. So even though cancer is a challenge, in some ways, it's also an opportunity.

And as others have said, there are other problems in this world. Are they bigger than cancer? Are they more important than cancer? Well, that's all subjective I suppose, but I don't think it does anything to "grade" problems or suffering. I sincerely believe we all have causes we're built for, and we should do everything we can to make a difference for those causes. Is cancer research important to you? Great. Do what you can to affect the people in your circle of influence. Do you feel malaria in Africa is a bigger issue? For you, and for many others, it is. Do your part. Diabetes? Starvation? Poverty? Access to medical treatment? Human trafficking? All important needs, and all needing people to champion those causes. Whatever you feel passionately about, don't just feel. Do. Making any difference, on any injustice or suffering, is worth the effort.

Steve Jobs' early passing is tragic. But if his life teaches us anything, it's that translating your passion into action can have far-reaching impact.

(As an aside for those who are familiar with "Ignite" talks: I did a presentation about the lessons cancer taught me at an Ignite event last year entitled: "How Lucky Underwear Helped Me Battle Lymphoma." I'm linking to the video below. I hope it doesn't come across as self-promotion, because that's certainly not my intent. As I said before, I think we all need to do the things that make us passionate. I'm passionate about telling people that you can come through cancer and be a better person.)

http://youtu.be/LiGWifRfk8c
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Bump. Cancer Is so horrible. It's just ever so sad even if it affects people you dont even personally know
    RIP Steve Jobs and billions other people that have lost their life to cancer :(
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    bump, bump, bumpitty bump
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    About the whole pharm. companies things...
    Researchers in Canada did find a cure for cancer, but it doesn't require a patent because it's a simple drug used to combat metabolic disorders. Since it's so simple, it's cheap, therefore pharm. companies don't want it because they can't make money off it.

So there's that.

http://www.dca.med.ualberta.ca/Home/Updates/2007-03-15_Update.cfm

Also, if you want to feed the kids in Africa, then do so, but IMHO people spend too much money on kids in other countries when there are plenty of hungry kids in their own country (I'm talking about Americans because I don't know what the humanitarian agenda is in other countries). Feeding kids and curing cancer are two different things so go somewhere else with your humanitarian agenda. Just because you think it's more important doesn't mean other people have to.
  • waylonthornton
    waylonthornton Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Calling out pharmaceutical companies as greedy and accusing them of prolonging our time without cures to certain diseases is a "baseless" statement?

Those companies make their profit from the medicines that are already on the market, which MUST be used by cancer patients to survive in many cases, so wouldn't putting a cure on the market put a big dent in their annual income?

It's the same scenario as oil companies keeping non-fossil fuel powered engines off the market, and that situation isn't even a bit paranoid, there is proof that it happens, thanks to our country's ever-growing outrage and realization that fossil fuels are going to be the economic (and physical) death of us all.

Just some thoughts there. Also, did it ever dawn on any of you haters that maybe Gary (500lbs2) just needed to vent and posted some frustration to his supposedly "supportive" community only to be s**t on by you guys?

If there is ever any way I can be thankful for growing up as a fat kid, it's that it made me humble. Some of you egocentric know-it-alls need to think back to those days.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that my father is a cancer survivor. For my entire 4 years of high school I watched him knocking on deaths door, only to find out that his doctors had been prolonging the process to milk his insurance company. Luckily he got a doctor that was able to find, solve, and essentially cure the entire issue in less than 3 months.
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    can't believe this is turning into a debate. people that have been affected by this horrible horrible diseas just wants to find a cure so less lives of lost from it
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    bumpers
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    bump
  • daniellesb1
    daniellesb1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    A millions times BUMP ! I just talked about the same thing last night !
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    There will never be a cure for cancer, how would anyone make any money if there is a cure. Oour medical system only gives out band-aids.

With that said, Steve Jobs will be greatly missed.
  • Kia148
    Kia148 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bump