Single children vs. siblings

Options
124»

Replies

• SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I know many people who barely speak (if at all) to their siblings and others who are very close. Someone who had a lousy sibling experience could turn what you said around and claim it's BAD to have siblings.

I agree. I don't understand why people assume that just because you have more than one kid means they're automatically going to be best buddies. I know plenty of people who actually despise their siblings and would be happy to never see them again. I have an older brother I haven't spoken to in over 15 years.

My daughter is an only. She's 17 and is one of those kids adults just love because she's polite, articulate and amusing. Despite people thinking being an only is synonymous with spoiled and selfish, she's actually kind-hearted and generous to a fault. When she found out the girl who stole her IPod took it because her parents couldn't afford one, she actually felt bad for the girl and wanted to give her an old MP3 player (I said no to that crap).

I did daycare for several years and the most ill-behaved, unpleasant children that I took care of weren't only children, they were youngest brothers. But because I'm aware that one's experience does not = ALL experiences, I do not take this to mean all little brothers are crappy people.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I couldn't read all the replie because some are so stupid!! I'm choosing to only have one child...many reasons: #1 is a selfish reason, but I don't want to be pregnant again...i hated it and I'm gettting my body back and loving it! #2 I know that financially I can afford one child meaning that if my husband or I lost a job then we could continue to live in the home we are in and save for college. #3 I watch too many people around my work who plan a second, third or fourth pregnancy that can barely afford to live now. The economy isn't the same as it used to be and i know I can support our 3 person family by myself if need be!

To each their own...those are my reasons.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any right or wrong answer. As long as you have a choice, go with what feels right FOR YOU. I was an only child (not by choice of my mom, she was lucky to have just me). I didn't get married until I was 37, so I've only got one child as well. As a child myself (and I find this with my son too), it's always been easier to just take him with us to a restaurant or to travel. So, he gets to experience things he wouldn't if we had more kids. (It was the same when I was a child).

I find, as an adult, I'm perfectly comfortable being alone. In fact, I prefer it sometimes. :wink:

As for leaving him... when the time comes... who's to say a kid with multiple siblings won't have to watch his parents AND siblings pass on before him. :brokenheart: There's always a chance you'll be alone in the world. That's why people have families of their own.
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your great answers. I wasn't too happy as a single child and I longed for a sibling. I would like to have a child of my own and adopt another one, if I would afford it.
  • karyngrace
    karyngrace Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i have a brother and sister, but they are both 13 and 10 years older than me! so in a way I have had the best of both worlds!! when i was going to school as a young girl they were never around.....too busy going to pubs an clubs and moving out of home!!and even though I never really got very close to them, I know i can always count on them when the going gets tough.

so i've had a taste of being a single child and i also know what having siblings is like!! to be honest they both have their benefits!
    but personally I think neither is better than the other, it all comes down to how much love you receive as a child, whether that be from 1 single parent or a whole tribe of parents and siblings!!!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I always thought I wanted two. But like a previous poster I hated being pregnant. And while I love having a younger brother that I am close to, I don't really want my son to have to share his mom. I'm a single parent now and owe it to him to make sure he gets all of the love and attention he needs and deserves.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    It depends. I am an only child, and there are pros and cons.

If you are debating whether to have one or two kids, I say do whatever feels right lol. How a child turns out has sooo little to do with whether they have siblings or not in my opinion xD