What to do with Cottage Cheese..

Options
EthanJeremiahsMama
EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
I just bought a tub of Lucerne's 1% no salt added Cottage Cheese.. and I honestly don't know what to do with it!! LOL. Any healthy recipes or what would go great with this? I never tried cottage cheese before! But heard it is good for you as well as protein. So any responses are really appreciated.. thanks! :)

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I love putting fruit in mine. Peaches and pineapple is my favorite.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I use it in lasagna instead of ricotta. You can lighten up lasagna significantly by using vegetables instead of meat filling and half the usual shredded cheese. It's also good as a snack with fruit (I prefer strawberries or blueberries).
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Most people add fruit... I just add a ton of pepper to it and I like it that way!! But yeah cottage cheese is loaded with protein. It has what is called CASEIN protein in it... It is a slow dissolving protein. Cottage cheese is actually the best thing to eat before you go to bed. Since it has a slow dissolving protein and it digest all night it speeds up your metabolism while you are sleeping and builds muscle all night when you are sleeping!
    I just bought a tub of Lucerne's 1% no salt added Cottage Cheese.. and I honestly don't know what to do with it!! LOL. Any healthy recipes or what would go great with this? I never tried cottage cheese before! But heard it is good for you as well as protein. So any responses are really appreciated.. thanks! :)
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    It's really good on toast, especially whole wheat english muffins.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    jelly!
  • beautifulbrat
    Options
    cottage cheese with fresh fruits cut up is delicious and filling. another thing is tear up some lettuce and put cottage cheese on it and then put cut up tomatoes on it with a little bit of pepper and it is great as well
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese pancakes!!!!
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy, but I just eat it straight. Yum. But I eat the full strength stuff. I don't know how the 1% tastes.
  • bugsygal89
    bugsygal89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like doing what I call 'pizza cottage cheese'. I add some tomatoes (or pasta/Marinara sauce if I want to splurge) and italian seasoning. Or sometimes just italian seasoning...soooo good. It is also yummy to mix with cereal (if you like the sweet/salty mix) or with different seasonings :-)
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Throw it away! Yuck Cottage Cheese is Nasty! lol
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I LOVE IT! i put garlic pepper on mine. Or I add fruit. It's good as a spread on toast or apples, celery...
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I make dips with cottage cheese. I usually mix 1/2 fat free cream cheese (4oz) with 1/2 cottage cheese (4oz), add any spices your heart desire and put everything through the food processor so it becomes smooth. For snaking I have portioned out thin pretzel sticks (1oz baggies) and dip them in my mixture (I weigh 1oz out of the container so I do not overdo it). If you like salty food it is a very satisfying low cal snack. Dont be shy with spices, it is fun to experiment (wasabi, garlic, curry etc....)
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Avacado for me (it's the highest fiber fruit) with some chopped tomatoes, finely chopped cucumbers, and a sprinkling of whatever kind of seeds (sesame, poppy, flax, Chia, whatever) appeals to you.
  • MKB83
    MKB83 Posts: 31
    Options
    Blend it with strawberries and agave nectar (or honey or maple syrup) and throw it in the freezer - then you have "ice cream"
  • genthel
    genthel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese. I eat it plain with pepper. Yum!
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I like mine sweet so usually I add berries.
    Once in a while, I'll make homemade chunky applesauce with cinnamon and top my cottage cheese with that while it's warm.
    Or you can buy organic apple butter and add that in.
    I also just like it plain with cinnamon and some sweetener.
  • auntbyte
    auntbyte Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try it....you'll like it!

http://www.dashingdish.com/category/recipes/shakes/

The possibilities are endless.
  • juli3b2011
    juli3b2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use Daisy 2% cottage cheese with Dole pineapples and/or Dole mandarin oranges...with a teaspoon or two of chopped walnuts...YUMMY!!!!
  • ressa8
    ressa8 Posts: 60
    Options
    I love cottage cheese mixed with applesauce and a bit of cinnamon! YUM!