What to do with Cottage Cheese..

Options

Replies

• Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    How do you make homemade chunky applesauce?

I peel and cut an apple in to chunks. Add to a pot with a wee bit of water and cinnamon and then let it cook on medium.
    I just stir it once in a while and keep my eye on it. It only takes a few minutes to make.
    It's super easy and practically makes itself. :smile:
  • LaVale5
    LaVale5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I take cottage cheese for lunch with chopped tomato and cilantro--it's wonderful!!!
  • michelledruss
    michelledruss Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have added the ranch seasoning packs to it and blended it up in my blender for a dip. No one guessed it wasn't ranch dressing, I serve it up with cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, celery, etc.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i dont know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but you can puree it up and use it in mac & cheese.. i found a recipe that called for that and it was delish.
    of course i love to eat it plain too :) or add in some home made jam
  • sally2303
    sally2303 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh I LOVE cottage cheese!

I am a bit of a fan of using it mainly as a butter/marg substitute. So I do toast with cottage cheese and these toppings:
    **baked beans
    **poached eggs, salt and pepper
    **Grilled or fresh tomato, salt and pepper
    **Plain with chives salt and pepper

I also like to mix it into my scrambled eggs, have it on cruskits (dry wheat cracker) with other toppings like tomato, avocado, lean ham etc.

Must honestly say I have eaten it as a sweet - Definately up for trying that!!
  • doinit4tayzie
    Options
    Mmmmm Avacodo nd cottage cheese sound yummy. I eat mine plain, with fruit or today I threw in a tablespoon of salad toppers, it had cranberries, cherries, nd almonds.....so good!!!
  • adezeray
    adezeray Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love eating it with fruit or apple sauce just regular apple sauce yumm!
  • ivy512
    ivy512 Posts: 5
    Options
    I will usually eat it straight up with an apple but I definitley need to give some of these creative options a try.
  • lillysmidnite
    Options
    1/2 C. cottage cheese, 1/2 c. frozen blueberries, 1/2 frozen chopeed up banana and blend in food processor and then top with slivered almonds...tastes like ice cream!
  • lillysmidnite
    Options
    also put it on a baked potato with some salsa, yum!
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Most people add fruit... I just add a ton of pepper to it and I like it that way!! But yeah cottage cheese is loaded with protein. It has what is called CASEIN protein in it... It is a slow dissolving protein. Cottage cheese is actually the best thing to eat before you go to bed. Since it has a slow dissolving protein and it digest all night it speeds up your metabolism while you are sleeping and builds muscle all night when you are sleeping!
    I just bought a tub of Lucerne's 1% no salt added Cottage Cheese.. and I honestly don't know what to do with it!! LOL. Any healthy recipes or what would go great with this? I never tried cottage cheese before! But heard it is good for you as well as protein. So any responses are really appreciated.. thanks! :)

I DID NOT know that! I am SO going to eat cottage cheese before I go to bed tonight! haha! Oh and yeah I eat mine with a ton of pepper too, yummy!:wink::bigsmile:
  • sonshinelady
    sonshinelady Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I LOVE adding cottage cheese to any fruit flavored yogurt. Its also extremely good with peaches, pineapple and or blueberries. Another favorite is putting it in Jello after mixing, but before refrigerating. Lemon and Lime Jellos' are my favorites. And Like you said, its good and high in protien. I also use cottage cheese to replace ricotta cheeses in Lasagna....less calories and fat.
  • nursenelson
    Options
    1) add in a cut up apple and some splenda = yum
    2) make (low fat, high fiber) waffles then blend cottage cheese with frozen fruit of choice with some splenda in a blender and then pour it on your waffles = double yum
  • nursenelson
    Options
    1) add in a cut up apple and some splenda = yum
    2) make (low fat, high fiber) waffles then blend cottage cheese with frozen fruit of choice with some splenda in a blender and then pour it on your waffles = double yum

oops I forgot to add cinnamon to the 1st option
  • TORtheCarrot
    Options
    If you want it with something besides fruit, its really good with baked sweet potatoes, like a normal potato is with sour cream. Also a little pepper and balsamic on tomato slices
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have added the ranch seasoning packs to it and blended it up in my blender for a dip. No one guessed it wasn't ranch dressing, I serve it up with cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, celery, etc.

Wow! That's awesome - I would never have thought of that! I am definately going to try this!!
  • SexSeaCow
    SexSeaCow Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lots of people put fruit in it...I personally don't like it with fruit.
    A delicious thing to do with it is to add a little pinch of salt and some black pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice and then use it as a dip for cucumbers, red beets, carrots, etc. Anything you'd dip in hummus tastes great in cottage cheese too.
  • sitterlass
    Options
    Thank you Glenn R for that bit of info on cottage cheese. I will have to impliment it into my daily routine.
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Throw it away! Yuck Cottage Cheese is Nasty! lol

LOL I'm with you
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options
    Very interesting, Cottage cheese bedtime snack, I'm so on it!