What's the strangest/grossest thing you've eaten

Options

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Escargot.
    I know its not really that weird, but I am actually a good eater except for tongues, brains, bugs, etc.....
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    5 minutes tops.
    :wink:

Actually, if prepared well, cow's tongue is delicious.

Yum! Cow's tongue makes awesome tacos! :)

I've had Rocky Mountain oysters (where i come from they're bull testicles); cow brains, hog head (my gramma used hog head to make tamales); rattlesnake; and of course organ meat (kidneys, heart, liver)

My dad didn't believe in wasting ANYTHING, (he was an avid hunter)
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    chiterlings, cottage cheese, okra, neckbones, pigs feet, monkey brains, anything that makes me mouth vomit before I eat it.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    ive eaten turtle, soft shell ...which was pretty good actually. gator tail...which isnt really all that strange to some, but would be for others...its good. And frog legs, good too.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Conch or congee.

isnt that an aphrodisiac????
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    okra

seriously, it was disgusting. I may get summarily dismissed from the "south"......
    Was it fried? You can't dis it unless you try it fried. And dipped in ketchup.
    It was indeed fried. I don't think my grandma can cook anything without a fryer...
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I once won a contest at a bar where I got to drink the shot of Mezcal that had the worm in it!

I'd love to share my thoughts on the taste/texture, but by the time that part of the evening occurred, well... ummm... I kinda don't remember the details...

:drinker:

Ice
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Well, grasshoppers are delicacies in some places, but I'll throw in the story to make it strange:

When I was little, I lived in a cave (yes, an actual cave in the mountains in a forest near the Arizona/Mexico border) and my family was very, very poor. We didn't have enough food - especially not enough protein - so my sisters and I used to go catch grasshoppers, pull off their "hopping" legs, let the grasshoppers go (they could still walk on the remaining legs), and squeeze the "meat" out of the legs. There were plenty of grasshoppers around during the spring, summer, and fall so we got plenty.

The most disgusting thing I've ever eaten is javelina. I've heard that it's not bad if cooked properly but when it is just cooked over an open fire with no seasonings, it is one of the most vile things on the planet. Once again, I had that when I was a "cave girl."
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    okra

seriously, it was disgusting. I may get summarily dismissed from the "south"......

I'm with you... I hate okra too.

Me too, I'm more of a Ricky Lake fan.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    okra

It was indeed fried. I don't think my grandma can cook anything without a fryer...

*smh* She had to have done something wrong. :tongue:
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Bull Testicles

It tasted like chicken.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I could also add kangaroo and rattlesnake. Both were very good however.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Conch or congee.

isnt that an aphrodisiac????

Only for people who are turned on by nausea.
  • wendyannvantiem
    wendyannvantiem Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    okra

Yes this would have to be it.
  • penelofur
    penelofur Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Moose meat and Beaver (no jokes please!) meat. I had a friend in undergrad who was a hunter. He always brought weird stuff for us to eat.

The moose was very fatty tasting- like duck almost. The beaver had a roast beef texture, I remember it being dry and stringy. I am a vegetarian now though- so... ya never going to eat it again! :tongue:
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options

I've had Rocky Mountain oysters (where i come from they're bull testicles); cow brains, hog head (my gramma used hog head to make tamales); rattlesnake; and of course organ meat (kidneys, heart, liver)

It's sad how much is wasted, really. Americans are big babies. "Ewwww. I can't eat that! There's a bone in it."
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Actually, if prepared well, cow's tongue is delicious.

That's what I was thinking. It's kind of a staple in most deli's so not that weird. I don't think I've really eaten anything weird, but the grossest thing I can remember eating is raw squid sushi. I love sushi but that was just a really odd texture that I just could not take. I finally washed it down whole like a big pill because it was either that or spit it back on the plate.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options

It's sad how much is wasted, really. Americans are big babies. "Ewwww. I can't eat that! There's a bone in it."

I bet if you ground up all the disgusting bits, covered them in breadcrumbs, deep fried them and sold them as McOffal, they'd be a big hit.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    okra

We moved here to Oklahoma 17 years ago - but they'll never totally accept me because I can't stand Okra! I've had it every way it can be prepeared, by the best Southern cooks - even if it's coated in a fabulous batter and fried to a crispy goldenness, it still feels like I'm eating a deep fried wad of snot - so slimy - yuck.

My oldest son and my hubby both like it, but me and my youngest son don't. To each his own!

:drinker:

Ice