What's the strangest/grossest thing you've eaten

Options

Replies

• PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I think once you cut the tongue out of the cow and remove the gross tastebuds and outer coating and get to the good meat inside, the cow probably isn't tasting anything. Still. I LOLed.
    One of the tastiest, most tender cuts on the cow. Obviously, once you remove the tough outer coating, with the taste buds. Love it.

I, for one, also dig some other Mexican delicacies that most in the US don't: pig intestines (cooked nice and crispy in tacos with hot salsa), chicharron (fried pig skins), and menudo. Menudo is not the eyeball soup from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. It's a tasty stew with tripe that's cleaned and diced cow stomach lining, tasty when slow cooked to tender and not chewy.

Menudo is like medicine to me! That was the only thing I could eat that wouldn't make me sick when I was pregnant with my son. The tripe will be very chewy if it's not cooked properly, but my gramma makes the BEST menudo.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    I want some of your grandma's menudo. Home cooking is the best.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    My friend and I caught her son chewing on one of those huge black winged beetles....sooooo nasty!!!
    my 1 yr old ate a june bug once
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    I, for one, also dig some other Mexican delicacies that most in the US don't: pig intestines

Pig intestines (chitterlings, or "chittlin's" as they are called in my neck of the woods) is actually a pretty common food in some parts of the US.
    ive eaten it...its pretty good
  • Peque1130deleted
    Options
    [/quote]
    I, for one, also dig some other Mexican delicacies that most in the US don't: pig intestines (cooked nice and crispy in tacos with hot salsa)
    [/quote]

Tripitas!!!

They are pretty yummy!! Especially with some lime!!

That is the Mexican in me!
    Menudo, pozole, tripitas lengua, tacos al pastor...and the list goes on...

Now I'm hungry ! :ohwell:
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I don't eat gross crap....
    Thanks for your valuable contribution.

I mean seriously. If it's gross-WHY EAT IT?

Duh.

"Bragging rights" are not worth it. Sorry.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

Duh.

What if there's money involved? :smile:
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options

Duh.

What if there's money involved? :smile:

Still a no. Not worth it to me. I don't care how much money. *shudder*
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Beefalo
    Bison
    Porcupine
    Alligator

That's about it for me, but I won't anything I think is gross.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    Options

Duh.

I said "strange" OR "gross." I think if people don't try something unusual from time to time they are missing out. It's nice to expand your horizons. Enjoy other cultures from time to time by going out of your comfort zone. Don't be a food prude.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Conch or congee.
    OMG I love conch. I will still have a secret crush on you, though, anyway.

My strangest (even though it tasted ok) thing I ate - Mannish water. It's "mannish" because of the meat in it. :) Puts hair on your ....chest. Look it up.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    okra

seriously, it was disgusting. I may get summarily dismissed from the "south"......

Don't worry... Born and raised down here and turn down pond scum at every opportunity! Okra is not meant for human consumption except occasionally as a means of conveying fried cornmeal batter to one's mouth!
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I ate a frog's leg. He wasn't still hopping or anything, but he wasn't finger licking good.
  • algebravoodoo
    Options
    I, for one, also dig some other Mexican delicacies that most in the US don't: pig intestines (cooked nice and crispy in tacos with hot salsa)
    [/quote]

Tripitas!!!

They are pretty yummy!! Especially with some lime!!

That is the Mexican in me!
    Menudo, pozole, tripitas lengua, tacos al pastor...and the list goes on...

Now I'm hungry ! :ohwell:
    [/quote]

Pig intestines? Down here we call those "chittlins", best served freshly slung and deep fried! Sold in 5 gallon buckets, I kid you not!
  • algebravoodoo
    Options
    Yum! Cow's tongue makes awesome tacos! :)

I've had Rocky Mountain oysters (where i come from they're bull testicles); cow brains, hog head (my gramma used hog head to make tamales); rattlesnake; and of course organ meat (kidneys, heart, liver)

My dad didn't believe in wasting ANYTHING, (he was an avid hunter)
    It's sad how much is wasted, really. Americans are big babies. "Ewwww. I can't eat that! There's a bone in it."

Really? Did you just stereotype billions of people as if they were one. Nice! And not at all ridiculous.

I don't refuse to eat anything... I am just grateful I have never been hungry enough to be tempted by some delicacies.
  • hrobinson416
    hrobinson416 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Chicken Gizzards. Battered and fried...they actually werent bad...would I eat a plateful? no..but I wouldnt mind a handful every once in a great while.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Recently in Brugge Belgium two pieces of white pickled asparagus wrapped in ham meat. GROSS, gagworthy.

About a year ago: sweetmeats ravioli. It was SO rich but SO yum!
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I ate caterpillar larvae once. It used to be a popular snack in Korea. :noway:
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    Options
    I ate caterpillar larvae once. It used to be a popular snack in Korea. :noway:
    My boyfriend had that when he was working in Korea. Only it was silkworm larvae. He said it tasted kind of like chestnuts.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    live termites in belize. they tasted like carrots.