Guess who I saw yesterday!!

Options
As I was pulling up to a stop sign, I spotted a woman on her bicycle. I slowed down to let her cross the intersection (I've been much more aware of pedestrians and cyclers since I've become one myself) but she waved for me to go ahead. As I waited for traffic to clear, I studied the woman. She was chubby, clearly not an experienced cycler. She had obviously waved me on so she could catch her breath because she was huffing and puffing and the only thing keeping her upright were the handlebars of the bike. Her face was red, sweat was dripping down her face and her bangs were matted to her forehead. The helmet she was wearing looked brand new but the bicycle looked old and rusty. She wore cut off denim shorts and her tshirt was clearly one she had gotten for free at a some local event years ago (we all own a few of those tshirts). Her sneakers looked brand new. As I pulled out of the intersection, I glanced in the rearview mirror and saw her begin to pedal again. She wobbled trying to keep her balance but soon disappeared under the hill. She looked exactly like me 3-1/2 months ago.

It wasn't for a few miles until the thought hit me. I wondered if she was one of my friends on MFP...one of OUR friends. Or maybe she was a member of some other similar website. I wanted to turn around and catch up with her and ask her what her fitness goals were, how far along she was and if she wanted a partner to ride with sometime. A few months ago, she would have been some woman on a bike that I probably wouldn't have noticed. Yesterday, she was a friend that I silently cheered on.

Replies

• voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    This made me smile :-)
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    That was a great post! :) Makes you stop and think for sure!
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I love this!! I see people (in shape ones, not so in shape, etc...) walking, running or bicycling on the side of the road and it always makes me smile. They probably think I'm checking them out so either way it makes them feel good and it makes me feel good. GO US!!
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Love this post! How much our lives open up...:smile:
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    This made me smile...it's so much easier to appreciate someone else's efforts when we've been there!
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    What a great post. That's a NSV for you I'd say!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    This makes me happy. Thank you for sharing with us.
  • ash1220
    ash1220 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This made me smile & also a little teary eyed. Just the thought of how something like trying to lose weight can bring people together and make us feel a connection with people we don't even know because we understand and can sympathize with the struggles involved. Thanks so much for sharing this story!
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I love this. I am the same way with runners on the road now since I've become one myself :)
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Love this!!
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Just plain awesome. :)
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    It's funny I see people like this all the time, I think to myself....i wonder if they know about MFP. If i get a chance in striking up a conversation I make sure i mention it. I dont want to offend anyone but I want them to know that I found a great site that has helped me in only 3 short months ....
  • Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Awww! This made me all tingly inside. :flowerforyou:
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I love this post!! It made me smile :flowerforyou:
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS! I literally have goosebumps right now! Good for you! :flowerforyou:
  • ChristinaLConway
    ChristinaLConway Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Okay I give up, I have yet to find a dictionary on this site so I have to ask, whats "NSV"??
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    brilliant post! thank you for sharing!

I'm normally that woman cycling (with the kids in the trailer) heaving away peddling like mad and getting nowhere fast but i keep at it!

I too love seeing others cycling or running etc and i find myself jelous that they're getting the time to do it and i'm not LOL!
  • paulahhhh
    paulahhhh Posts: 283
    Options
    I love this story. Thanks for making my Monday a great one to start the week :D

Remember... You can't spell S_CCESS without U. <3
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options

Okay I give up, I have yet to find a dictionary on this site so I have to ask, whats "NSV"??

NSV = Non Scale Victory
  • BhanGoes
    BhanGoes Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post!

Whenever I see 'heavy' people working out, I always want to cheer them on. And when I take my daily walk or go for a morning run or (god forbid) get in a swim suit and do laps at the pool, sometimes I notice people watching.

I think to myself, 'You shouldda seen me three months ago.'

To all of our fitness friends,
    KEEP IT UP!