I CANT AVOID FAST FOOD

Options
1235»

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Its called will power...you can avoid it! Plus, fast food is way more expensive than buying food at the store!

this! you can do it!
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I can go to Buger King and get two sausage biscuits for $2 and get 900 calories out of it. Now tell me what whole foods i can get for $2 and get the same amount of calories?

Butter XD
    It would be about as healthy too.

Are you really saying that in the course of an entire day you'd eat just 2 sausage biscuits?

How about this... I just bought 2 fryer chickens for $8.00 2 bags of frozen broccoli for $5.00 dozen eggs for $1.39 3 zucchini for $1.00, an onion for $.28 and a bag of spinach for $1.88.

Check it:
    Breakfast: .5 a zucchini ($.167), 1/8th of the onion ($.03) and a cup of spinach($.47) sautee'd pour 2 eggs over and mix it up ($.23) veggie breakfast scramble for are you ready for it? $.89(EIGHTY NINE CENTS) Take that dollar menu!

Lunch: 1/4 of a roasted fryer chicken ($1.00) half a bag of broccoli about 2.5 cups ($1.25) Lunch for $2.25!

Dinner: 1/4 of a roasted fryer chicken ($1.00) 1 hard boiled egg ($.12) .5 a zucchini (.167) 1 slice of onion (negligible) 2 cups of spinach ($.94) Dinner for $2.23!

Don't be lazy. Go shopping, learn to cook. Since you probably don't eat JUST 2 sausage McMuffins a day you probably don't just spend $2 bucks on food. I just showed you how to eat well for $5.00. It's only an excuse if you want to eat fast food do it...

If you read my whole quote, i actually said i eat 2600 calories a day. How does two sausage biscuits which i said came to 900 calories equal the 2600 i said i eat?

And thats great you listed those meals but how many calories are in each of them? My point was, as far as bang for the buck, its not always cheaper to cook whole foods. So for my $1, i get 450 calories. Like the other guy said, unless i would eat a stick of butter, its hard to come close to the amount of caloires i get per dollar I spend.

And im not sure where youre getting those prices since my grocery stores produce seems to cost a bit more. A whole zuchini for $.33? really?

try and read the quote (maybe a few times would help) before responding.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I can go to Buger King and get two sausage biscuits for $2 and get 900 calories out of it. Now tell me what whole foods i can get for $2 and get the same amount of calories?

Butter XD
    It would be about as healthy too.

Are you really saying that in the course of an entire day you'd eat just 2 sausage biscuits?

How about this... I just bought 2 fryer chickens for $8.00 2 bags of frozen broccoli for $5.00 dozen eggs for $1.39 3 zucchini for $1.00, an onion for $.28 and a bag of spinach for $1.88.

Check it:
    Breakfast: .5 a zucchini ($.167), 1/8th of the onion ($.03) and a cup of spinach($.47) sautee'd pour 2 eggs over and mix it up ($.23) veggie breakfast scramble for are you ready for it? $.89(EIGHTY NINE CENTS) Take that dollar menu!

Lunch: 1/4 of a roasted fryer chicken ($1.00) half a bag of broccoli about 2.5 cups ($1.25) Lunch for $2.25!

Dinner: 1/4 of a roasted fryer chicken ($1.00) 1 hard boiled egg ($.12) .5 a zucchini (.167) 1 slice of onion (negligible) 2 cups of spinach ($.94) Dinner for $2.23!

Don't be lazy. Go shopping, learn to cook. Since you probably don't eat JUST 2 sausage McMuffins a day you probably don't just spend $2 bucks on food. I just showed you how to eat well for $5.00. It's only an excuse if you want to eat fast food do it...

If you read my whole quote, i actually said i eat 2600 calories a day. How does two sausage biscuits which i said came to 900 calories equal the 2600 i said i eat?

And thats great you listed those meals but how many calories are in each of them? My point was, as far as bang for the buck, its not always cheaper to cook whole foods. So for my $1, i get 450 calories. Like the other guy said, unless i would eat a stick of butter, its hard to come close to the amount of caloires i get per dollar I spend.

And im not sure where youre getting those prices since my grocery stores produce seems to cost a bit more. A whole zuchini for $.33? really?

try and read the quote (maybe a few times would help) before responding.

Are you really saying that the "most bang for the buck" = the most calories per dollar? I'm sure I could go to McDonald's and spend $3 for 1000 calories if I wanted to, but I wouldn't consider that to be a good thing....

ETA I think the OP is at least thinking more that she wants to avoid fast food to be healthier and to help with her weight loss goals. And she's saying she's having trouble resisting because of low cost and convenience of fast food, not because it has more calories... This is the first I've heard someone argue that fast food is better because it has more calories.

And I think it's easy to get that many calories for a dollar. You could buy half a carton of eggs. But usually you would buy enough to last several days and eat a variety. 1 carton of eggs, some cheese, some bananas, some english muffins. That would add up to about $9 here, but possibly more where you are. That $9 could make 6 breakfasts with 450 calories each. Not 1 dollar, but more filling and healthier. Add some veggies for a couple more dollars, even better.
  • mommybrina
    Options
    There are low calories choices at tons of fast food places - my recommendations - mcdonalds classic grilled chicken sandwich PLAIN, Jack in the box - Grilled chicken strips & side salad, Honestly you have to watch out for the salads if you get the dressing it comes with, can be so deceiving. I personally stick to chicken since it feels me up. Yes there is a lot of sodium in those, I drink tons of water in hopes that helps balance it out. I eat a lot of sandwiches, find a low calorie wheat bread and Fage yogurt for a side. Healthy choice frozen dinners are also awesome. Check out the Cooking Light website, they have tons of great recipes under friendly budgets and time and then you can have leftovers the next day. Good luck to you!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    You need to make time for whats important to you. If you want to eat healthy you must schedule it into you day.

Amen to this. I'm super busy, but I manage it.
  • bloodguilt
    Options
    It's really challenging if you don't have enough time or have less healthy choices of food to choose from around. How about how plan your meals ahead for the entire week then cook them and place it in the fridge so you can just grab and go each day? I have been doing this for more than 7 months now and its definitely worth it. hope this helps.
  • jillleanne
    jillleanne Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm a student too, so I know EXACTLY what you mean when you say you don't have time to cook food a lot of days. Because if your like me, you literally don't have time. The grocery stores near my house have lots of pre-made meal options from rotisserie chickens to sandwhiches to perogies and pasta. Just heat and eat!
    It makes it really hard to track your calories, but I always feel a lot better about it than eating fast-food
    Or invest in a slow cooker, you can make lots while your not even home, and then freeze what you don't eat
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options

Whole Foods is great, but it's expensive. You can buy healthy "whole foods" at any grocery store and it does not have to expensive.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is no more than $2 a box, takes 30 seconds, and comes with 10 servings. Is ramen even $0.20 anymore? Oatmeal is loaded with fiber and protein.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    You need to make time for whats important to you. If you want to eat healthy you must schedule it into you day.

Amen to this. I'm super busy, but I manage it.

This, exactly! When you become determined enough, you will easily find a way, and wonder why you didn't think of that before.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Make salads with chicken or tuna on them, make stiry fry, it doesn't have to be expensive. I don't buy the big expensive healthy organic foods, and I'm still eating healthy and it's not that expensive. For a whole weeks worth of lunch and dinner meals, for two it comes out to be about $120. Check out my blog on my page because I have low calorie easy recipes, that don't cost much.

I just have Oatmeal, Cheerios, or those Thin Bagels by Thomas. If this is important enough for you, you will make time for it, like I did. I work full time, go to one college full time, and another college part time. Work is far from home, school is far from home, yet I still can make time to do it, along with all my house work, etc.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    You can't afford to cook healthy food, but you can afford fast food? Which is at least 5 dollars for a meal? Come onnnnn...
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I understand about not having time or money. My boyfriend and I are both full time college students while working full time. Neither of us really have time to cook. When i finally stopped making excuses and stuck to my diet I realized its CHEAPER to eat healthy. I don't buy organic but I eat GF and don't buy junk or overly processed foods. For example I bought four chicken breasts for $5.50, artichoke hearts for $1.25 and tomatos for $75. That gave me FOUR meals....I also bought greek yogurt for $1 a piece and add fruit in. I make time for the 20 minutes it takes me to prepare diners for several days. It's possible, no excuses!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I go to school far away from home, so I only go there on weekends, anyway, from where I live I'm surrounded by fastfood everywhere and as much as i'd like to cook my own healthy food. healthy food is expensive, and i dont really have time to cook.. any sugguestions?

Sorry if this sounds rude, but my suggestion is that you stop making excuses. There are plenty of healthier options that are cheaper than fast food. As long as you say "can't" you are just giving yourself an excuse to fail.
  • xshortiex
    xshortiex Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just because you have to eat out most of the time doesn't mean you can't eat healthy...
    No one's forcing you to eat burgers and fries and greese and fat all the time. You should focus on learning to choose healthier foods when going out. Subway's a great choice, for example, but you have to know what to get (veggie delite, veggie max, salad, etc.)
  • ctroxell2011
    Options
    agreed with previous posts, you can justify anything, but this is really an excuse. don't let anything get in the way of your fitness, including your own rationalizations.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    excuses, excuses.............