do you judge others based on what they eat?

Options
I recently spent a decent amount of time with a group of colleagues at a conference. We went out to eat a lot and I was with them for a lot of their meals. I find myself doing this all the time: I judge people's eating habits. I just cringe to myself when I see people eating unhealthy things. Even if they get something that I know clearly must be a ridiculous amount of calories and fat, I think it's gross. I know it could be a cheat meal and they could already be healthy, etc..I just don't know. I can't help it. I feel bad for judging people like this--and I'm not sure it's normal, because I totally used to eat like that and not care about what I ate. But now that I eat healthy, I just can't bear the thought of putting a lot of that stuff into my body.

Do you guys do the same thing?

EDIT: Wow, I'm really not a bad person. I guess I don't judge the PERSON, persay, I find myself being a bit stuck up about food and nutrition. But as others said, they probably don't really know just how bad it is. I didn't until I started on here and did my research. I do care more about a person's personality and compassion than their weight. I'm not that shallow. Way to attack a simple question and think way too much about.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i do that ALL the time!!
  • kassandra81
    Options
    If anything, I may be a bit jealous, lol. I can't get away with eating 'bad' foods no matter what. It doesn't mean that I still don't want them though. Otherwise, their life, their choices. If they're friends, I may remind them what's in their food though, lol. :)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I don't care what they eat. I care about how they act and treat others.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    No. And I wouldn't like it if anyone did that to me. At all. It's none of my business what others eat.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    double post! Oops!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're awful...unless you're telling them what you think about what they're eating. That would not be nice. LOL

I don't find myself thinking about what people eat (maybe because I'm not really a clean eater), but I do find myself comparing my weight to that of others around me. Maybe it's just because I'm finally seeing myself realistically, but sometimes I look around the room and say to myself "I am the thinnest person here" or something to that effect. It's not nice I know, but I have to admit that it makes me feel good when that happens. :blushing:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    I recently spent a decent amount of time with a group of colleagues at a conference. We went out to eat a lot and I was with them for a lot of their meals. I find myself doing this all the time: I judge people based on what they eat and what they order, especially if they're overweight. I just cringe to myself and say "oh dear, you really don't need that". Even those people who are not large, if they get something that I know clearly must be a ridiculous amount of calories and fat, I think it's gross. I feel bad for judging people like this--and I'm not sure it's normal, because I totally used to eat like that and not care about what I ate. But now that I eat healthy, I just can't bear the thought of putting a lot of that stuff into my body.

Do you guys do the same thing? Or am I just a really awful person?
    If they are overweight, yes. Because IMO, if you know you're overweight ( and most overweight people do) to continue to eat high calorie foods isn't helping.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    When people consistently eat crap, and think of Applebees as "going out to dinner" I tend to think they are boring, uninteresting, and not cultured.

Doesn't make them bad people, but I just don't enjoy that lifestyle.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    i do that ALL the time!!
    ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!
  • becca3211
    becca3211 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't care what they eat. I care about how they act and treat others.

RIGHT ON!!
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I do! Especially fat people that order lots of food then a diet coke (even though I know I personally prefer the taste...)
    Although I do a lot of the same things myself. I always overorder takeaways, like I went to Burger King yesterday and ordered a vegetarian burger, chips AND some chilli cheese bites. It's because all I really wanted was the chips and the cheese but I felt like that might be too bad for me, although adding more calories with a few veg in doesn't make it better. It's a waste of money because I eat it all :/
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    The only person I did that with recently was a friend of mine. But she serious needs some help..and well she knows it..and won't help herself. I give her encouragement and give her ideas...but until she is ready to change..I can only offer advice..and see it not taken.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    no, I'm still trying to figure this food thing out.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I try not to. Everyone deserves a treat and that 300lb person at the table over could have lost 100lb already and they're giving themselves a fun meal.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    lol I catch myself doing that too!! I have a obese friend who is always on a diet. When we go out for lunch - she makes VERY poor food choices and yet thinks she's choosing healthy!!!!!!! It makes me crazy! On occasion she has asked for advice....but then rejects the advice because it's not what she wants to hear. It's her life, her choice.....but she's 55 and starting to have weight related health problems. I wish I could get her to join this site!!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Awww....it's a dolphin!!! :love: ....wait, what was this thread about?
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I try not to, but every once in a while I'll catch myself thinking something that really isn't any of my business...
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Shamefully yes, but then I kick myself in the *kitten* for it...
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I sometimes feel grossed out *seeing* certain foods if I'm in "health nut mode" but it doesn't bother me what others do.

I don't think you're an awful person for doing so as long as you don't insult them out loud. You should be able to think whatever you want...
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    If anything, I may be a bit jealous, lol. I can't get away with eating 'bad' foods no matter what. It doesn't mean that I still don't want them though. Otherwise, their life, their choices. If they're friends, I may remind them what's in their food though, lol. :)

I agree that if they are friends, I may remind them that what they are eating isnt good for them, but then I leave it at that. I dont technically "judge" those around me by what they eat (unless its my husband, who annoys me when he complains that none of his clothes fit and then eats 2 bowls of captain crunch, a king size snicker and a half bag of potatoe chips for dinner). I guess I just feel sorry that nobody really cares what they are doing to their bodies. :frown: Its more of a sadness for me, especially with my family and friends. :frown: :cry: