<3 support group for women eating 2000+ calories per day <3

Options

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    So I checked out that fat2fit website you guys have been talking about and the calculators are right on with my bodymedia, so I am convinced it's a good one!

For whoever asked on the last page of the last thread which to get, I say bodymedia and bodybugg are almost identical but both way better than fitbit.
    I LOVE my bodymedia, the only thing it has that the bodybugg doesn't is the sleep tracker. So if you don't care about that part then go with either (made by the same company), just shop around for the best deal. I went with Amazon.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't mind me butting in here, and this is not a loaded question...I guess it's a question in the vain hope I can eat 2000kcals and not gain, or even lose! I'm low carb, kinda Atkins, kinda Dukan, but I'm only 5' 1". Are you all Amazonian gazelles to get away with 2000+? How/why does that work for you? I just wonder, as someone who can easily go up to 2-3000cals a day if I go mad on nuts :ohwell: if the carbs are reasonable, can/does this counter the calories? Or am I just being dumb/hopeful?!
    If you're 5'1" and not that active, no, you can't eat 2000 because your TDEE probably isn't that high....But if you DO exercise hard daily and have a physical job, then you could...especially when you hit maintenance.
    I am 5'2", work on my feet, and MAINTAIN at 2000. If I was trying to lose I would HAVE to eat 1600-1800, and maybe a little more on days I really am extra active.

I actually am trying to maintain, but am very new to it so have The Fear over overeating. I walk at least 40 minutes a day, usually more, and do gym classes/treadmill 5-6 days for 45 mins to an hour..? Thanks for replying!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't mind me butting in here, and this is not a loaded question...I guess it's a question in the vain hope I can eat 2000kcals and not gain, or even lose! I'm low carb, kinda Atkins, kinda Dukan, but I'm only 5' 1". Are you all Amazonian gazelles to get away with 2000+? How/why does that work for you?

If you look at the members profiles you will see people from 5'2 right through to the amazons.......
    For me personally I am very seriously building muscle, doing HIIT cardio - and bought a Bodymedia Fit - which shows that I am actually burning between 3200 and 3700 calories a day - so by eating a net 1400 calories I was eating too little and not feeding my body properly.....

So I am upping how much I am eating - and goodness gracious - losing more weight than I had in the past 3 months - go figure....

I have been sick for the past 5 days - so even with no exercise I am still burning 2600 calories a day.....
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't mind me butting in here, and this is not a loaded question...I guess it's a question in the vain hope I can eat 2000kcals and not gain, or even lose! I'm low carb, kinda Atkins, kinda Dukan, but I'm only 5' 1". Are you all Amazonian gazelles to get away with 2000+? How/why does that work for you? I just wonder, as someone who can easily go up to 2-3000cals a day if I go mad on nuts :ohwell: if the carbs are reasonable, can/does this counter the calories? Or am I just being dumb/hopeful?!
    If you're 5'1" and not that active, no, you can't eat 2000 because your TDEE probably isn't that high....But if you DO exercise hard daily and have a physical job, then you could...especially when you hit maintenance.
    I am 5'2", work on my feet, and MAINTAIN at 2000. If I was trying to lose I would HAVE to eat 1600-1800, and maybe a little more on days I really am extra active.

I actually am trying to maintain, but am very new to it so have The Fear over overeating. I walk at least 40 minutes a day, usually more, and do gym classes/treadmill 5-6 days for 45 mins to an hour..? Thanks for replying!

I say take whatever you are doing, add 200 to it. Give it TWO FULL WEEKS to regulate, then evaluate. Don't even weigh in for 2 weeks.
    If you have not gained or even lost some, then add another hundred and wait 2 weeks. Do this until you find your happy place.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    On the 'who eats the most' front, I'm 5'5" and yesterday I ate 2550 calories and per mfp only had a 118 cal burn.

I feel like I'm either a very inefficient freak of nature or I must be misestimating something somewhere!
  • Oishii
    Options
    And my dh thinks I look like I've lost more weight :laugh: Haven't and really don't want to!
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options

I say take whatever you are doing, add 200 to it. Give it TWO FULL WEEKS to regulate, then evaluate. Don't even weigh in for 2 weeks.
    If you have not gained or even lost some, then add another hundred and wait 2 weeks. Do this until you find your happy place.

Thanks again!
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    And my dh thinks I look like I've lost more weight :laugh: Haven't and really don't want to!

Same here! I'm still losing a bit and I just went out and bought all new clothes. If my perfectly fitting skinny jeans stop fitting I'm probably going to cry. I loved them so much I went out and bought 5 more pairs in different colors.
  • Oishii
    Options

Same here! I'm still losing a bit and I just went out and bought all new clothes. If my perfectly fitting skinny jeans stop fitting I'm probably going to cry. I loved them so much I went out and bought 5 more pairs in different colors.

The skinny jeans are the thing for me too... Never had any until now and I'm not getting too big or small for them... Unless I get pregnant again.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    how much of an understatement do you think mfp calories are?
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Soooooo lazy today! Yesterday too missed my cardio day and missing my weight training day. I will lift my weights tomorrow and push a little harder the next day. Admittedly I'm not bothering to count cals anymore. Pretty sure I'm in surplus or at least maintaining on my cardio days and I'm just too tired to put in the effort that it takes to work out every recipe I cook. Pretty sure we are coming down with a flu
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    nope...I am only 4'11....i ate 2250 calories yesterday :)
  • Oishii
    Options
    I'll throw this out there to see what you guys think...

One of my mfp friends, who is a nutritionist, reckons mfp calorie estimates are more likely to be right than HRMs. Her logic goes that just because you're fitter, with a lower HR when active, it doesn't mean you're not still burning the same kind of calories when you move your mass (body) a certain distance. So, a group of people who are equal in height and weight should have approximately the same burn over a certain distance, no matter their HR.

What do you guys think?
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to place my mark on the rollover thread. I'm about to do CLX and see how my muscles react after being off for 2 weeks. Yikes!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

One of my mfp friends, who is a nutritionist, reckons mfp calorie estimates are more likely to be right than HRMs. Her logic goes that just because you're fitter, with a lower HR when active, it doesn't mean you're not still burning the same kind of calories when you move your mass (body) a certain distance. So, a group of people who are equal in height and weight should have approximately the same burn over a certain distance, no matter their HR.

What do you guys think?

I don't agree with it wholly and completely. For example, someone new to running might be dying when they run....an experienced runner might find it literally easy. So the heart rate might stay elevated for much longer in the newbie...thereby burning more calories. It makes sense though that the basic energy required to move an object across a certain distance would be relatively fixed. So it is partly logical in my opinion :)
  • B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have heard that you burn 100calories per mile while running, no matter how fast or slow you run it. Dont know how true that it.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options

What do you guys think?

I too have wondered about this because I have been running for almost 10 years including a couple marathons and several halfs. Because of all the running, my resting heart rate is in the 40's, so when I get up to the 120's thats triple my normal HR!! Thats like a normal person with a HR in the high 270's!! I have wondered if my HRM is accurate in calculating burn because of this!! The HRM is close to my Bodymedia but still off my a hundred or so calories per workout. Also I have had bodymedia since Feb. and have been in a plateau since that time and have gained and lost the same 5 pounds so I dont really trust that one either. Very frustrating to try and figure out how much to eat!!! My goal is 2000 for the next 2 weeks and see where that leads me!

Good Morning Ladies!!!
    I am off for a run. I am gonna experiment and wear my HRM and bodymedia and see what comes up and compare that with what MFP says!!
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Alright ladies - do I change my MFP settings to say lightly active/moderately active if I am working out six days a week? Aside from my workout (which lasts 30-60 mins depending on the day, most are about 35-40 mins), I'm mostly sedentary. I just want to get my settings set up "right" in the system so I can work to hit the right macros too. I'm no where near maintenance so that isn't really an option.
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think I took the calorie cake yesterday, coming in at 2698, yikes! I had my day planned at around 2000 or a little under, but hunger won out. I was 1,000 calories under my 500 deficit the day before though (1500 under total-don't ask), so I hope it all evens out in the end. My sodium was way high yesterday, so I will watch that today and get in some extra water to boot. Scale shows me up 1.8, of course, with the extra food and sodium, but I know I didn't gain anything. My bodybugg came in at 2687, so my calories should have been right at maintenance. In the past, I would have worried or felt guity about my eating yesterday, but not any more. I am feeding my body and I plan to use those extra calories energy to day to have a kick butt workout!
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Alright ladies - do I change my MFP settings to say lightly active/moderately active if I am working out six days a week? Aside from my workout (which lasts 30-60 mins depending on the day, most are about 35-40 mins), I'm mostly sedentary. I just want to get my settings set up "right" in the system so I can work to hit the right macros too. I'm no where near maintenance so that isn't really an option.

I think I would leave it at sedentary and then add in your exercises and eat those calories back. That way, if you don't burn as much one day, you wouldn't eat as much back. Some people only eat back part of those calories in case the estimated burn is too high. Remember, when mfp has you at sedentary, they are already calculating a deficit for you to lose even without exercising.