question about carbs

Options
12346»

Replies

• funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain fat because of the excess carbs. You gained it because you either went over your TDEE or you didn't burn as many calories as you thought you did. You gained water weight most likely which passes.

Check out Lyle McDonald here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html

Probably shouldn't jump into yet another carb argument but these type of statements really bug me. Over about a 10 year period I gained significant weight eating low-fat/high-carb. During this time, I kept numerous food journals and I rarely ate over 1500 calories a day and many days was eating closer to 1000 calories a day. I was also exercising by running 4 miles 6 days a week, teaching 6 one-hour aerobics classes a week, and lifting weights 5 days a week (3 upper-body, 3 lower-body). I was starving all the time, having hypoglycemic crashes which would make me hungry and miserable, and my energy levels were extremely low and I would often need a nap after a meal.

Since discovering issues related to excess insulin and how carbs helps create this, I have lost over 50#, at least 10# since starting MFP (although I haven't weighed for almost 3 weeks so it might be more by now). I am never hungry and, in fact, am using the way MFP is laid out with the diary divided into Wake-9am, 9-Noon, etc., to help remind me to eat at least a little something during those time-frames. My calorie intake is virtually unchanged ranging from about 1000-1500 calories/day depending on how intense I exercised that day. And I have more energy and rarely need naps or, when I do, it's because of lack of sleep and not because of blood sugar issues anymore.

Yes, I realize my personal, anecdotal experience is not giving you scientific data although I have also read a lot of scientific studies that support what is happening to my body. Does this mean everybody is effected by carbs this way? Of course not, if you don't have insulin sensitivity/blood sugar issues, you won't have this problem. But please don't discount the experience of the rest of us who do have these issues.

Oh, also, when I was eating higher carb, not only did I have severe edema issues in my feet and calves, but I would get aching in my ankles, knees, and elbows. Horrible aching that my doctor said must be some arthritis issues. Since lowering my carb intake, no more aching and no more edema. That's a terrific side-benefit from watching my carbs.

To the OP: If eating more carbs doesn't effect your weight loss or how you feel, i.e. you're not lethargic or even needing to nap after a meal, then it is probably no problem for you to be going over your carbs. However, if your weight loss has stopped for a long period of time (I'm not talking for just a week or two but for a month or more) and you are having lethargy, needing excess naps, edema or aching joints, you might try cutting down your carbs a bit to see if that makes a difference.

In essence, I don't believe either side is total right for the entire population as what works for some is not what works for others. Let your own body's response to these issues be your guide.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain fat because of the excess carbs. You gained it because you either went over your TDEE or you didn't burn as many calories as you thought you did. You gained water weight most likely which passes.

Check out Lyle McDonald here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html

Probably shouldn't jump into yet another carb argument but these type of statements really bug me. Over about a 10 year period I gained significant weight eating low-fat/high-carb. During this time, I kept numerous food journals and I rarely ate over 1500 calories a day and many days was eating closer to 1000 calories a day. I was also exercising by running 4 miles 6 days a week, teaching 6 one-hour aerobics classes a week, and lifting weights 5 days a week (3 upper-body, 3 lower-body). I was starving all the time, having hypoglycemic crashes which would make me hungry and miserable, and my energy levels were extremely low and I would often need a nap after a meal.

Since discovering issues related to excess insulin and how carbs helps create this, I have lost over 50#, at least 10# since starting MFP (although I haven't weighed for almost 3 weeks so it might be more by now). I am never hungry and, in fact, am using the way MFP is laid out with the diary divided into Wake-9am, 9-Noon, etc., to help remind me to eat at least a little something during those time-frames. My calorie intake is virtually unchanged ranging from about 1000-1500 calories/day depending on how intense I exercised that day. And I have more energy and rarely need naps or, when I do, it's because of lack of sleep and not because of blood sugar issues anymore.

Yes, I realize my personal, anecdotal experience is not giving you scientific data although I have also read a lot of scientific studies that support what is happening to my body. Does this mean everybody is effected by carbs this way? Of course not, if you don't have insulin sensitivity/blood sugar issues, you won't have this problem. But please don't discount the experience of the rest of us who do have these issues.

Oh, also, when I was eating higher carb, not only did I have severe edema issues in my feet and calves, but I would get aching in my ankles, knees, and elbows. Horrible aching that my doctor said must be some arthritis issues. Since lowering my carb intake, no more aching and no more edema. That's a terrific side-benefit from watching my carbs.

To the OP: If eating more carbs doesn't effect your weight loss or how you feel, i.e. you're not lethargic or even needing to nap after a meal, then it is probably no problem for you to be going over your carbs. However, if your weight loss has stopped for a long period of time (I'm not talking for just a week or two but for a month or more) and you are having lethargy, needing excess naps, edema or aching joints, you might try cutting down your carbs a bit to see if that makes a difference.

In essence, I don't believe either side is total right for the entire population as what works for some is not what works for others. Let your own body's response to these issues be your guide.

This is a great post! Thank you. I personally get approximately 45 - 50 % of my total calories from carbohydrates, but I appreciate your balanced point of view regarding your choices.
    The one thing I might point out is regarding your edema. I too had some edema when I was overweight (more than 20 lbs). When I reduced my body fat, the edema went away. My macro-nutrient balance was unchanged. Personal, anecdotal experience.
  • funkycamper
    Options
    This is a great post! Thank you. I personally get approximately 45 - 50 % of my total calories from carbohydrates, but I appreciate your balanced point of view regarding your choices.
    The one thing I might point out is regarding your edema. I too had some edema when I was overweight (more than 20 lbs). When I reduced my body fat, the edema went away. My macro-nutrient balance was unchanged. Personal, anecdotal experience.

Thanks. I wish everyone would just realize that we're all a bit different and that we have to try different things along our journey to health and fitness to find out what works for us. It really isn't one size fits all. And I'd say that goes for the anti-low carbers and the low carbers as well. We all should be respectful of other people's choices as long as they are not doing anything harmful to themselves.

Re the edema. Since I love carb food and wish I could eat more, now and then I'll indulge a bit. There's nothing better than a warm piece of fresh-baked bread, imho. A few weeks ago, I had a stellar workout with a trainer that about killed me. Probably my most intense workout ever to that time. Later that day, I went out of town to run some errands in the city where there is a great Scandinavian bakery. I decided to splurge on three slices of cardamom bread with goat cheese for a late lunch. Super yummy. I should also add that I was wearing one of my favorite pairs of ballet flats (cute animal print) that I may not be able to wear much longer as my feet are shrinking and they are getting too loose. After my indulgence, I walked around a lot doing errands and, within a couple hours, my feet had swollen so much that the shoes were tight. I also had aching, throbbing ankles, knees and, to a lesser degree, elbows. I had to take the shoes off a drive home barefoot. It took 2 days for the swelling to go down enough where those shoes were, again, loose. I seem to only swell when I indulge on carbs.

And, no, I don't think it might have been excessive salt intake as I rarely use salt but, when I do, I never notice any swelling from it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

And/or take a look at the type of carbs in your diet as that can make a big difference. Overly processed grains can affect the body very differently than minimally processed grains or fruits and vegetables. Not all carbs are created equal.
  • funkycamper
    Options
    During this time, I kept numerous food journals and I rarely ate over 1500 calories a day and many days was eating closer to 1000 calories a day...

I LOVE how every single post trying to dismiss the energy balance equation begins with, "I ate ..."

This is exactly why diet studies which rely on self-reporting of intake are inferior to metabolic ward studies -- people always misrepresent their intake (whether deliberately or not).

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=Underreporting+energy+intake&btnG=Search&as_sdt=0,38&as_ylo=&as_vis=0

So the food/exercise logs here at MFP are useless because we're all just lying anyway. Yeah, right....then why are you here?

Read my post again. You completely missed the point.

Of course I'm not surprised, coming from someone who thinks they are a unique snowflake who is immune to the laws of thermodynamics.

Are you as rude to people who say that you must eat more calories in order to lose weight? That's also a concept that is in opposition to the laws of thermodynamics yet it is promoted by many people here without such rude remarks.

It's a little hard for me to take you seriously when you seem unable to have a debate on issues without ridiculing or being rude. This is a deflection technique often used when one is unable to prove one's point in order to get the focus off the issue and onto something else. It seriously weakens your argument and your credibility.
  • funkycamper
    Options

And/or take a look at the type of carbs in your diet as that can make a big difference. Overly processed grains can affect the body very differently than minimally processed grains or fruits and vegetables. Not all carbs are created equal.

I totally agree with this. I can eat a bit more carbs without ill effects if I'm eating whole grains or non-starchy vegetables.
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eREuZEdMAVo#t=1734s

explains it in layman's terms, doc. of nutrition from Stanford U

The study he's referencing is a joke, and is contradicted by nearly every other long-term study comparing varying carb/fat intake.

Please see the December 2010 issue of Alan Aragon's Research Review for a more thorough thrashing.

"While the Atkins diet was beating the entire field at the 2 & 6 month checkpoints, no significant weight loss differences were seen between the Atkins, LEARN, and Ornish diets by the end of the trial."

I don't subscribe to Alan's blog, so can you summarize why this study is a joke? Can you also give examples of some of the other long-term contradictory study's you're refering to?