For All You Smokers That Want To Quit FOR GOOD! READ THIS!

Options
Here is some tips and tricks Ive leaned over the past year, I wish I knew these tricks and tips when I quit smoking almost 11 years ago, That's where my weight gain came from over 200lbs worth! ~ Every time I craved a cigarette I would shove food in my mouth & it wasn't healthy food either junk food chips, pop, fast food you name it, everyone I hung around when I graduated high school was over weight so I never seen myself getting bigger then I thought I was til one day I went to my doctor & he told me I weighed 192lbs, In just 6 months after I graduated! ~ My weight gain didn't stop there I kept going up I just got to comfortable in my ways!

From experience I will tell you, don't let the weight gain discourage you to stop losing! ~ You will experience some gain but with these tips & tricks Ive learned from watching my husband go though the quitting smoking process as well as other family members my hubby, he only gained about 20lbs just by using these tips and tricks and these methods but ill be honest with you hes not as active as we all are, he does get some exercise but at work due to his line of work, and hes in great shape, he quit smoking just after the new year in 2009.

So lets get started first thing you need to do....

~ Set a quit date. Decide what day you will extinguish your cigarettes forever. Write it down. Plan for it. Prepare your mind for the "first day of the rest of your life". You might even hold a small ceremony when you smoke you last cigarette, or on the morning of the quit date.

~ Toss out your smokes, we are going to try cold turkey method, no looking back leave them in the trash can if you have to toss coffee grinds on them, cat litter whatever you need to do to prevent you from picking them back out!

~ Believe in yourself. Believe that you can quit. Think about some of the most difficult things you have done in your life and realize that you have the guts and determination to quit smoking!

~ Write down why you want to quit (the benefits of quitting kinda like we did with our reasons to lose weight): live longer, feel better, for your family, save money, smell better, find your soulmate more easily, etc. You know what's bad about smoking and you know what you'll get by quitting. Put it on paper and read it daily.

~ Ask your family and friends to support your decision to quit. Ask them to be completely supportive and non-judgmental. Let them know ahead of time that you will probably be irritable and even irrational while you withdraw from your smoking habit. (It does happen and we can get though it!!)

~ Go to your local store find some Vitamin C Supplements id say if you smoke up to a pack a day grab the 1000mg tablets, half a pack 500mg make sure it's the biggest bottle you can find, you will need them! Chewable is fine cause it will help when you get that craving & it gets on your tongue also Vit C is going to help boost your immune system so you might notice if everyone around you is coughing and sneezing and getting a cold, you might be immune no need for the flu shot (I never get these they are made to make you sick I was told)! ; )

~ Stock up on Orange Juice, Grapefruit Juice anything that is high in Vit C, yeah Im going to hear the remark..... but we are not to drink our calories, well here is the time its okay, cause it's one step at a time! Right?

~ Next things you want to get are your fav snacks if you don't wanna do the juice do Veggies/Fruits high in Vit C, Pineapple, Oranges basically anything citrus that is your best bet.

Game plan time!

Everytime you get a craving, fill up a glass with cold water (no ice) chug it down, still craving try again glass of water but take a Vit C Supplement again this is where chewable comes in handy, chew it don't swallow just yet... get the water chug it down just be careful you broke down the tablet enough so you don't choke on it.

Work?

yes? Then your okay you survived!

no? Well try juice next or eat a fruit

This Vit C trick will strip that nicotine from your system if you smoke half a pack and the 500mgs are not doing it for you up to 1000mg give the 500s to hubby/bf or the kids/friends/family ~

Still having trouble it's time to talk with your doctor about quitting. Support and guidance from your doctor its a proven way to better your chances to quit.

After awhile you wont need as much Vit C and you can switch off to mint (strong mint) or citrus gum of some kind.

Other ideas include....

~ Take a bath Hot/Cold / Take a shower Hot/Cold

~ Keep at your exercise program. Exercise is simply incompatible with smoking. Exercise relieves stress and helps your body recover from years of damage from cigarettes. If necessary, start slow, with a short walk once or twice per day. Build up to 30 to 40 minutes of rigorous activity, 3 or 4 times per week.

~ Do some deep breathing each day for 3 to 5 minutes. Breathe in through your nose very slowly, hold the breath for a few seconds, and exhale very slowly through your mouth. Close your eyes picture your way to becoming a non-smoker. While doing your deep breathing See yourself enjoying your exercise yourself turning down a cigarette that someone offers you, throwing all your cigarettes away, and winning a gold medal for doing so from friends or family or someone you love.

~ Find a friend, co worker someone online someone you know that is another smoker who is trying to quit, and help each other with positive words and by lending an ear when quitting ts great support!

~ Have your teeth cleaned. Enjoy the way your teeth look and feel and plan to keep them that way.

~ After you quit, plan to celebrate the milestones in your journey to becoming a non-smoker. After two weeks of being smoke-free, see a movie. After a month, go to a fancy restaurant (be sure to sit in the non-smoking section). After three months,go for a long weekend to a favorite get-away. After six months, buy yourself something. After a year, have a party for yourself. Invite your family and friends to your "birthday" party and celebrate your new chance at a long, healthy life.

~ Look at all the money you saved!

~ Learn what triggers your desire for a cigarette, such as stress, the end of a meal, arrival at work, entering a bar, etc. Avoid these triggers or if that's impossible, plan alternative ways to deal with the triggers.

~ Find something to hold in your hand and mouth, to replace cigarettes. Consider drinking straws, toothpicks, or gum

~ Keep a picture of your family or someone very important to you with you at all times. On a piece of paper, write the words "I'm quitting for myself and for you (or "them")". Tape your written message to the picture. Whenever you have the urge to smoke, look at the picture and read the message.

~ Whenever you have a craving for a cigarette, instead of lighting up, write down your feelings or whatever is on your mind. Keep this "journal" with you at all times.

Good luck in your efforts to quit smoking. It's worth it!
REMEMBER YOU CAN DO IT!
First week or so that VitC will strip all nicotine from your system as long as you don't smoke after that its all mental baby

:flowerforyou:

GOOD LUCK!

As of today I will be smoke free for :

11 years, 40 weeks, 6 days, 19 hours and 25 mins!

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    comming from someone who QUIT when they were 18?
    cool.
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    cool.

Yessum! I started smoking when I was 11

:embarassed:
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I just quit smoking after 13 years, and what really helped me was getting off my butt and exercising. I started running. I didn't gain ANY weight, in fact, I continued to lose. It can be done, and you can do it. I haven't had a cigarette in over 2 months, and I don't want one. Once all the nicotine was out of my system, I didn't crave one at all!
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    Today is my 2 year anniversary. I do not crave them...at all. I quit using a county quit program. We quit our third week in. I used the nicotine patch and Wellbutrin. I never cheated....it took me forever to quit before. Many tries, many failures..until this one!

You have to be ready to quit...otherwise it will not work.

I used to love the smoke on my way to work. My first time driving after quitting, I brought a sandwich.

Also, don't try to lose weight AND quit smoking...one is bound to fail. I quit in October, gained about 10-15 lbs. Started to work out in January...slow and steady.

Good luck to those trying! You CAN do it!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Also, don't try to lose weight AND quit smoking...one is bound to fail. I quit in October, gained about 10-15 lbs. Started to work out in January...slow and steady.

I did this exact thing, and neither one has failed. In fact, quitting smoking made me exercise more and I have lost more weight. It will only fail if you think it will. Powers of perception.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    cool.

I started out at 12, just a year short from you :embarassed: Its really tough especially when it comes to weight gain issues of quitting smoking & you have a weight to maintain. I'm now in my final stage, just smoking a half-stick a day. I prefer to do mine very gradual so that my body will have easier time in adjusting & I will not gain weight.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    cool.

must have been pretty rough not being able to smoke during the school day for 8 hours... dontcha thing?
  • TNoire
    Options
    cool.

must have been pretty rough not being able to smoke during the school day for 8 hours... dontcha thing?

Got harder in highschool though we had 4 classes a day from 9-10:20 10 min break then 10:30-11:40 then lunch from 11:40-12:40 then next class started at 12:45 to 1:10 then 10 min break then 1:20-2:30 was the 4th class... then we where out til the next day I can't remember how many times I was late cause I HAD to go smoke on breaks.... :huh:

My problem is I got lazy after HS mainly cause who I hung out with they where all bigger so i never seen myself getting bigger and I worked at a coffee/donuts shop in Canada (Tim Hortons) so when I would crave smoking id eat donuts and whatever I could get my hands on...
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options

I did this exact thing, and neither one has failed. In fact, quitting smoking made me exercise more and I have lost more weight. It will only fail if you think it will. Powers of perception.

Some people are lucky enough to do both...but doctors I work with recommended I not try both...can be a lot of pressure. But to each his own. Congrats on your successes!
  • TNoire
    Options
    /bump

something i wrote for smokers please read and try to keep it active for others that need help too =)
  • rickdz
    rickdz Posts: 15
    Options
    Be careful of taking advice from someone who Has no medical background, on weight loss, exercise, or smoking. If not they are just offering their opinion, which might be Wrong.
  • TNoire
    Options
    Be careful of taking advice from someone who Has no medical background, on weight loss, exercise, or smoking. If not they are just offering their opinion, which might be Wrong.

Just FYI rick, one you don't know me and my background most of this is personal experience AND what I used with my quit assist and info i found on a medical site and my doctors
    thank you!
  • Sheri869
    Sheri869 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options

1st off NOTHING she said could possibly hurt you! So even if it didn't work - you'd still just be in the same boat....I think most of its mental anyway - so no matter how you go about it...you have to believe in yourself and be at that point where you are really ready!

Nothing will ever work if you aren't mentally ready. I personally did hypnosis and I believed in it so it worked for me - but I'd try anything that wasn't harmful (and not much is more harmful than smoking - unless you're talking hardcore). But things that help you to curb it without harming your body AND keep you from going way overboard on the eating - are certainly worth a try!!

Thanks for the topic...it is true...once a smoker always a smoker...so some days are harder than others....and I might give some of your ideas a try on those days! I think they're great and hopefully help someone!
  • TNoire
    Options

1st off NOTHING she said could possibly hurt you! So even if it didn't work - you'd still just be in the same boat....I think most of its mental anyway - so no matter how you go about it...you have to believe in yourself and be at that point where you are really ready!

Nothing will ever work if you aren't mentally ready. I personally did hypnosis and I believed in it so it worked for me - but I'd try anything that wasn't harmful (and not much is more harmful than smoking - unless you're talking hardcore). But things that help you to curb it without harming your body AND keep you from going way overboard on the eating - are certainly worth a try!!

Thanks for the topic...it is true...once a smoker always a smoker...so some days are harder than others....and I might give some of your ideas a try on those days! I think they're great and hopefully help someone!

Thanks hun, its not easy but it can be done gl to you =)
  • Smilee3233
    Smilee3233 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I quit in 2000 after smoking 1/2 a pack per day for 10 years. I tried several things, and learned to never quit quitting! I succeded with hypnotism. I don't have any cravings - ever and the smell makes me sick to my stomach. The thing that made sense to me was he asked me if I would go into a burning building so I could inhale the smoke? I said no - that's just common sense, nobody would do that. He said so why would you want any smoke in your lungs if this is common sense to you?
  • Hfox3953
    Hfox3953 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am trying to quit. I had my last cigarette last night around 9 PM. I have almost made it 24 hours! I feel like I am about to snap somebody's head off.

I am fighting the urges. I feel insanely irritable. How long does it usually take to get the nicotine out of your system?
  • TNoire
    Options
    I am trying to quit. I had my last cigarette last night around 9 PM. I have almost made it 24 hours! I feel like I am about to snap somebody's head off.

I am fighting the urges. I feel insanely irritable. How long does it usually take to get the nicotine out of your system?

With the Vit C anywhere from 3-5 days if you stick with it and no smoking at all from what Ive read
    the rest is brain power after that =)
    But doesn't hurt to keep on the C and have extra so you keep your immune system up
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You don't need a medical degree to give good advice, LOL!

I would add the wonders of silly putty are what made quitting possible for me. I quit every other year from 1992-1999 and then toward the end of 1999 I quit for good... so I did some practice quits. For six months leading up to the real thing I took up silly putty and I kept it in my hand every waking minute just about for another six months after I quit, so a solid year. This helped me a lot as it's not always about something in the mouth, for a lot of people it's actually something in the hand, and silly putty fills the bill very well.

The only caveat is that you need to buy six packs because everyone around you will want to play with it too, and it's just easier to buy them their own, LOL!
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this. When I quit 62 days ago I would have loved to find a post like yours!
    Now I know that everything you've mentioned is true.
    I quit cold turkey, had gallons of cold water, tons of Vit C and exercised whenever I had a strong craving (only at home of course)
    I am still quit and am fitter than ever. I have NOT gained weight, I have in fact LOST weight and did both together. Most important part of my journey has been and still is exercise. It makes you forget about the craving you had just a minute ago, it lifts you up like an anti depressant.
    And hey : we all know this is your experience and your opinion. That's what I am looking for when browsing the message board. if I need a doctor's advice I ask him. But most doctors I've met have never smoked and don't know HOW it is to quit. My doctor didn't tell me I would have sleepless nights, nightmares and sudden cravings after 4 weeks.
    So thanks again :flowerforyou:
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options

During the first days of my quit I read Allen Carr's book The Easy Way to Quit Smoking and it was THE BEST THING I ever did. It helped me understand and changed my approach to quitting. It was a happy quitting with a lot I was looking forward to. Couldn't wait to say "I'm quit 3 weeks now". The craving was worse the first 3 days, I fought it with exercise and water, gallons of water, and Vit C.