Women: How long did it take you to lose 30 pounds?

Options

Replies

• raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I started July 25 and have lost 25 as of today.

What do you do???

Just use MFP to track what I eat, walk around 30 minutes minimum each day while wearing my baby in a baby carrier, and I breastfeed which burns an extra 300cals a day. I also try to eat all my calories including exercise calories.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    A lot of people who lose weight that quickly have a lot to lose. It comes off quicker with that much to lose. You only have 30lbs to lose. You shouldn't count on (or even try for) any more than a pound a week, and even then it seems like the last 10lbs take forever for a lot of people.
  • paravision
    Options
    Ok so because of the variability in how much time you all lost 30lbs, so it is realistic to lose it by January right? That's my goal to lose it by my birthday.

YES! I am on day five........
  • alikat5544
    alikat5544 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 7 months to lose 30lbs. For me it's taken hard work and determination. Working out as much as possible and watching what I eat has been super important.
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    3 months
  • egaal
    egaal Posts: 19
    Options
    I started at 160 on May 31. I'm currently at 125. So about 4 months. I ate a mostly high protein diet, but didn't cut our carbs. So it was not really Atkins or Paleo. More like Zone probably, but I didn't follow anything very strictly.

In general, my meals are:
    1 protein bar for breakfast (the 200 calorie kind). If I was feeling ambitious, I'd make some eggs (whole, I love the yolk)
    1 salad for lunch with chicken or tuna (usually works out to be about 300-400 calories)
    1 apple for snack or some beef jerky
    Dinner is usually a protein of some kind: steak, chicken sausages, pork chops, chicken breasts with some vegetables
    followed by some fruit and low fat yogurt as dessert

I usually have at least one cheat day where I could eat out: have a slice of pizza, have a burger, get some Thai or Indian food, have a slice of pie, etc.

I work out usually every day at least 30 minutes, but sometimes an hour with a mix of cardio (elliptical or jogging and some weight training: sit ups, push ups, squats, dumbbell exercises)
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I worked out on my treadmil 5-6 days a week walking and some minor jogging on high inclines. I just started 30 Day Shred 6 days ago. I also just started doing weights too. Am pretty good with working out! I make sure I workout everyday, even on my "rest" day am still moving. Feel free to friend me so you can seen my diary if you like :) No magic pill just LOTS of hard work.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    There are so many factors to consider and everyone is different. I think my goals are similar to yours. I wish I was 5'9", but I've actually shrunk from 5'6" to 5'5". (sigh) Anyway, I started in mid-August 2011 at 170, and I'm currently at 155. I'm working to be at 130 when my 60th birthday rolls around on Jan 31st. We're going to have an extra reason to celebrate our birthdays in 2012!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    A lot of people who lose weight that quickly have a lot to lose. It comes off quicker with that much to lose. You only have 30lbs to lose. You shouldn't count on (or even try for) any more than a pound a week, and even then it seems like the last 10lbs take forever for a lot of people.

Yea I don't want to rush it but at the same time I've been stuck for a very very long time and I'm just so ready to lose these 30 pounds... Ultimately I would like to lose 40 but I'm shooting for 30 by early next year and then will work on those last 10 pounds.. I'm really working hard and it's just taking forever
  • E_Cee83
    E_Cee83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    hi there, i have lost 20 pounds (or 10kg) and its taken 8 weeks.... in another 4 weeks i hope to break the 30 pd mark... SO i would say totally possible in a 12 week, diet and exercise based program plan. By your birthday? totally possible, but have to stay motivated and keep your eye on the goal.... GOOD LUCK!
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 in about 2 months. I follow the guidelines given by MFP, exercise and only eat back exercise calories if I am hungry. That being said I started out with a lot to lose... and still have a lot left to lose.
  • mznisaelaine
    Options
    There are so many factors to consider and everyone is different. I think my goals are similar to yours. I wish I was 5'9", but I've actually shrunk from 5'6" to 5'5". (sigh) Anyway, I started in mid-August 2011 at 170, and I'm currently at 155. I'm working to be at 130 when my 60th birthday rolls around on Jan 31st. We're going to have an extra reason to celebrate our birthdays in 2012!

Wow that's awesome! And that's my dad's birthday! But yea I am trying to get there by January! You all make me feel so much better :)
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You'll get the closet estimate from people about your height, starting out about your weight who want to end up about where you want to end up. Trying to compare to someone who has 80 lbs to lose is going to be discouraging as they lose the first 20-30 way faster than someone who has 30 to lose, if you know what I mean.

I am glad to see the amount of people who took 6-12 months on this thread... sometimes I see the ones that go so fast and I wonder WHAT is wrong with ME?? But I feel a little better now seeing others taking the slow and steady approach and just sticking with it. Gives me hope :) Love that about MFP!
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Ok so because of the variability in how much time you all lost 30lbs, so it is realistic to lose it by January right? That's my goal to lose it by my birthday.

The more a person has to lose the faster it comes off. The less a person has to lose, the longer it takes to come off.

I just Googled the weight range for your height. Depending on the website and the size of your frame, I see 129-170 or 135-168.

According to the Mayo Clinic's BMI calculator, you are .8lbs from being a normal BMI. 135 would put you at the lower end of a
    normal BMI (but still within the boundaries so don't think I'm trying to discourage you).

From what I have read, if I understand it correctly, it is harder for those with a normal BMI to lose lots of weight healthily in a short period of time. Since you are so close to healthy, perhaps focus on toning and tightening rather than losing weight. You will probably still lose but even if you don't, your body will be smaller.
  • mznisaelaine
    Options

The more a person has to lose the faster it comes off. The less a person has to lose, the longer it takes to come off.

I just Googled the weight range for your height. Depending on the website and the size of your frame, I see 129-170 or 135-168.

According to the Mayo Clinic's BMI calculator, you are .8lbs from being a normal BMI. 135 would put you at the lower end of a
    normal BMI (but still within the boundaries so don't think I'm trying to discourage you).

From what I have read, if I understand it correctly, it is harder for those with a normal BMI to lose lots of weight healthily in a short period of time. Since you are so close to healthy, perhaps focus on toning and tightening rather than losing weight. You will probably still lose but even if you don't, your body will be smaller.

I use to be 135/athlete.. Then I gained 50lbs.. But I have about 40 left but shootif for 30 and I actually have been just working on toning..
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It took me a year and a half to lose 30 lbs, but in between I gained a few and had to lose it again. Winter is tough! But I've learned from my mistakes and now I'm commited to stop gaining and losing the same weight. If I had focused I could have done it in half the time or better, as I have in the past. Good luck on your journey!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

Wow that's awesome! And that's my dad's birthday! But yea I am trying to get there by January! You all make me feel so much better :)

That's really weird, because Jan.24th was my dad's birthday! I started to mention that. Funny.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Around 6 months.
  • mznisaelaine
    Options

That's really weird, because Jan.24th was my dad's birthday! I started to mention that. Funny.

:-)
  • kassandra81
    Options
    It took me 4 months to lose 30lbs. I seem to be slowing down a little bit right now so I need to pick it up! :)