water!

Options
just wondering.... can not drinking enough water hinder ur weightloss??

Replies

• TruckerChick
    Options
    unfortunately, YES!

the rule of thumb (just in case you didn't know it) is half your body weight in ounces is what you should be drinking every day!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    If you are extremely dehydrated your metabolism can temporarily slow.

However, you don't need the vast quantities many people here consume. Remember you only need to consume on average 8 cups of water. We consume this is many different ways: Tea, coffee, soda, juice, fruit, veg, etc. You don't actually have to DRINK 8 cups of pure water a day!
  • dreamhill
    Options
    Great! I am a coffe/tea drinker and never looked at it this way... I always feel bad because I don't drink a lot of water at the end of the day when entering my totals.
  • deex18
    deex18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    im currently drinking 1litre a day, some juice and milk.... i this is prob not enough though?
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    I'm not a fan of cold water really. I'll drink it, but I tend to drink it in one go, a pint at a time rather than sip it.

I LOVE drinking hot water though. I used one herbal teabag and just fill my teapot up until the tea bag dies, and sip it all evening :)

Need to get me some lemons too.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    im currently drinking 1litre a day, some juice and milk.... i this is prob not enough though?

There is water in food too, so its not too bad at all. You might want to add more if you are thirsty, doing a lot of exercise or eating high levels of protein.

Jodye
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I thought I had to drink 8 cups of plain water.. I spent a month weaning myself onto plain water as I didn't like it originally.. lol!

I'm up to about 6 glasses water and 2 tea to make 8.

My Maths is crap what is half of 160lb in ounces? I can't even remember how many ounces in a pound!... many years since I went to a Maths class... lol!
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    80 ounces. so eight 10 ounce glasses or... what I do is just fill a half gallon pitcher every morning and make sure i drink that along with my other beverages like coffee and teas.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    the rule of thumb (just in case you didn't know it) is half your body weight in ounces is what you should be drinking every day!!

Can you explain how to do the math please? The way I understand it,, I weigh 268,, so this mean 268 divided by 2 equals 134, therfore it's 134 oz of water? GULP,, that's almost 17 cups of water,, Did I do the math right? 17 cups seem too way much for me, more than twice then suggested.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    If you are thirsty, drink some water. Don't feel like you have to shove a gallon a day down your throat to lose weight.

Weight loss is about calories in vs. calories out.

I don't drink anything but water and a very small amount of homemade orange juice. I drink about 16 oz of water with dinner and lunch or when I get thirsty. You do get a lot of water from food as well, especially fruits.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I don't have a half gallon pitcher.. I have bottled water Evian 1.5L bottles, if I drink one of those a day is that about the same?
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't have a half gallon pitcher.. I have bottled water Evian 1.5L bottles, if I drink one of those a day is that about the same?

Your 1.5 L is roughly 48 ounces.

nutrition.about.com/od/hydrationwater/a/waterarticle.htm at this site there is an "online water calculator" that factors in everything when it comes to water intake.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Your body requires pure water. Your immune system will have to fight hard just to get the little percentage of water in coffee, tea, etc.

Water plays a big part in losing fat. Notice, I didn't say weight, because fat loss and scale weight loss is not the same thing.

Do you know what helps get rid of water retention? Water. Coffee, sofa water, etc. will not get rid of water retention.

Some people don't like plain water. They have flavored water. Another thing that can help people drink water. Drink a glass of water with ice and add some lemons to it.

I strive to drink a half of gallon to a gallon of water a day. I love water. Do I drink other things? Yes. I don't drink soda water though. I like to drink 100% juices, especially apple juice. I drink diet Lipton green tea, and not it's, not because I'm on a diet, because I don't diet or believe in diets.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Your body requires pure water. Your immune system will have to fight hard just to get the little percentage of water in coffee, tea, etc.

Actually coffee, tea, etc. are MOSTLY water.
  • HMonsterX
    Options

Exactly. Research has shown that the diuretic effect of caffeine is far, FAR outweighed by the water content of the drink, and better yet, the more you consume the better your body gets at extracting the water, to the point where it's practically the same as drinking neat water.

Just out of interest, you mention the "little percentage of water in coffee, tea, etc". If the water in those drinks is a little percentage, what do you think makes up the bulk of the percentage?!
  • AZackery
    Options

Coffee, tea, etc. aren't 100% water. It's only a percentage of water.
  • AZackery
    Options
    Exactly. Research has shown that the diuretic effect of caffeine is far, FAR outweighed by the water content of the drink, and better yet, the more you consume the better your body gets at extracting the water, to the point where it's practically the same as drinking neat water.

Just out of interest, you mention the "little percentage of water in coffee, tea, etc". If the water in those drinks is a little percentage, what do you think makes up the bulk of the percentage?!

What color will a person's urine be if all they drink is coffee, tea, etc. all day long?

Pure water makes a person urine clear. If a person's urine is yellow, they aren't drinking enough water.
  • HMonsterX
    Options

What color will a person's urine be if all they drink is coffee, tea, etc. all day long?

Clear to yellow, depending on the amount.
    Pure water makes a person urine clear. If a person's urine is yellow, they aren't drinking enough water.

No, water make a person's urine clear. If a person's urine is yellow, they aren't consuming enough water.

a) It doesn't have to be pure water
    b) It doesn't have to be drunk. Many foods we eat have a very high water content.
  • HMonsterX
    Options

Coffee, tea, etc. aren't 100% water. It's only a percentage of water.

Yes, you're right. It's about 99%. As i said earlier, what do you think makes up the rest of the % if water is only a little % of it?
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I drink about 2 liters of water a day, trying for 4 which is how much I used to drink. I love water, ice water...I hardly drink anything else. Water is one of those things that has no calories and is necessary for your body to function. I wouldn't count soda or juice or milk as your "water" consumption but tea and coffee are ok.