water!

Options

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    If you are extremely dehydrated your metabolism can temporarily slow.

However, you don't need the vast quantities many people here consume. Remember you only need to consume on average 8 cups of water. We consume this is many different ways: Tea, coffee, soda, juice, fruit, veg, etc. You don't actually have to DRINK 8 cups of pure water a day!

Yes!! Food is included in the daily water intake. Of course, if most of your food is processed and comes from box you aren't getting much water from food.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Killing myself laughing at the idea that your immune system is involved in processing water. First time I've heard that and as a dietitian I hear a lot of bizarre tales about food/fluid!

Agree with everyone that has said any fluid and some foods are hydrating and that calories, not fluid are what affects your fat loss.

I'm not a dietitian, but I'm in the medical field myself. Can you explain why the immune system needs water? What will happen to the immune system if doesn't get water?

It is frightening to think that somebody in the "medical field" claims that the immune system is what processes water from food and liquids. :noway:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're right. It's about 99%. As i said earlier, what do you think makes up the rest of the % if water is only a little % of it?

Coffee, soda water, etc. is not water and they will not make a person's urine clear. Only pure water will do this.

Some people may see coffee, tea, soda water as being water, but I don't. If they are water, then Gumbo, Soup, Stew, etc. are water too. I should be able to drink 8 glasses of gumbo or soup juice and count that as my daily water intake.

Wrong.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/drinking-enough-water-topic-overview

And an extract from that article:
    Do you have to drink only water to stay hydrated?
    All liquids help you stay hydrated. Water is usually the best choice, because it’s free (if you’re drinking tap water) and has no sugar or calories. But most healthy people can get enough fluid through the beverages they consume every day. These can include water, fruit juices, coffee, sodas, iced tea, and other drinks.

Experts say that it's not true that beverages that have caffeine-such as coffee, tea, and cola drinks-always dehydrate you. Healthy people who consume moderate amounts of caffeine don't lose more fluid than people who don't have any caffeine.1 A moderate amount of caffeine is about 200 to 300 milligrams a day. That's about two to four 8-ounce cups of coffee.

I've heard both sides over the years but have always included coffee, tea, etc as water intake. And food - we can get about 40% of daily water through food as long as it's real food. But I don't track water and I don't worry about color. My cats drink when they're thirsty and pee a nice bright yellow. In fact, most animals do.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Killing myself laughing at the idea that your immune system is involved in processing water. First time I've heard that and as a dietitian I hear a lot of bizarre tales about food/fluid!

Agree with everyone that has said any fluid and some foods are hydrating and that calories, not fluid are what affects your fat loss.

I'm not a dietitian, but I'm in the medical field myself. Can you explain why the immune system needs water? What will happen to the immune system if doesn't get water?

Obviously if your body doesn't get water and by water, I mean all fluids, then you will become dehydrated and eventually die. All of your body's processes require fluid (which you can get from water, tea, coffee, foods...). However, this is not what you have previously said - you have said that your immune system processes your water which it does not. Sorry.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

No one is arguing that the immune system doesn't need water. We are saying that the immune system has nothing to do with the actual extracting of water.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options

I don't know, what will happen to the immune system if it does not get water?

I'm hoping this is not going to turn into some kind of claim that one can get an auto-immune disorder from not drinking water, because I'm fairly certain my mother's multiple sclerosis was not caused by lack of water.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    AZackery, what exactly do you do "in the medical field"? I'm curious because you don't seem to know how the body works or what processes what. Yes, the immune system needs water. That's because the immune system is part of the body and the body neds water. That doesn't mean it has anything at all to do with processing the water. The skeletal system also needs water but doesn't process it. Ditto your lymphatic, nervous, and reproductive systems, etc.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    3stooges_face_palm1.jpg
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Uh....also, your pee isn't necessarily supposed to be CLEAR. CLEAR urine can be a sign of over hydration or diabetes.
    Your pee should be light yellow/straw colored.

Thank you for pointing this out! I think there are masses of people on MFP that are grossly overhydrating and probably making a lot more trips to pee than is really necessary for good health! :-)
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Uh....also, your pee isn't necessarily supposed to be CLEAR. CLEAR urine can be a sign of over hydration or diabetes.
    Your pee should be light yellow/straw colored.

Thank you for pointing this out! I think there are masses of people on MFP that are grossly overhydrating and probably making a lot more trips to pee than is really necessary for good health! :-)

Funny
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

First of all, working in the cafeteria at a regional medical center does not qualify as being "in the medical field".

Second, I don't think anyone here would dispute that every cell in your body needs water. The effects of dehydration are long and well documented. You however made the completely erroneous claim that your IMMUNE SYSTEM would somehow have to work differently to "pull out the water" if you didn't drink pure water and relied on other drinks and foods instead.

You can make your bogus claims about working in a medical field but the simple fact of the matter is everyone here can see from your own words (not mine or the countless others who've disputed you) that you have no clue, and those here who actually do have medical backgrounds should all be insulted by your attempt to paint yourself as one of their peers.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    First of all, working in the cafeteria at a regional medical center does not qualify as being "in the medical field".

Who are you talking to, because I know you aren't talking to me. You don't even know me or the degree that I have.
    Second, I don't think anyone here would dispute that every cell in your body needs water. The effects of dehydration are long and well documented. You however made the completely erroneous claim that your IMMUNE SYSTEM would somehow have to work differently to "pull out the water" if you didn't drink pure water and relied on other drinks and foods instead.

Your immune system needs water, not coffee, not tea, not soda water, etc.
    You can make your bogus claims about working in a medical field but the simple fact of the matter is everyone here can see from your own words (not mine or the countless others who've disputed you) that you have no clue, and those here who actually do have medical backgrounds should all be insulted by your attempt to paint yourself as one of their peers.

I don't have to lie about being in the medical field and since you think that I'm lying, then that would make everyone on here that claims to be in the medical field a liar.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Your immune system needs water, not coffee, not tea, not soda water, etc.

That doesn't change the fact that your body can GET the water from the coffee, tea, soda and even soup.
  • gquiros1
    gquiros1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

For water, it actually is really complicated how water is absorbed into the body.
    The latest studies I have read state that yes, drinking water is important for you but it correlates to your body weight.
    Also, your stomach is a very selective organ. It will actually only absorb 6-8 oz of water every 20 min, so drinking a giant liter of water doesn't do you any good.
    The rest of the water is flushed out (hence why you pee so much) while the 6-8 ounces you do absorb is taken into your blood steam. Now you also don't want to drink too much water as you could potentially die from that. There were a few articles about some girls dying from chugging too much water. Trust me, it requires a lot.

Either way, you want to always make sure you drink 6-8 ounces about every 30 minutes if you are trying to keep your body hydrated. Also it is recommended that you drink at least 16 oz before you work out, so 8 oz every 30 min, and then depending on the intensity of the workout, you will need to drink water during the work out.

Also, don't EVER weigh yourself after you work out. When you sweat, you loose water and you actually seem a lot lighter than what you think. Once you hydrate yourself, that water that you sweated out is actually put back in and you may weight the same, or alittle more.

Also, if your main focus is to burn fat, it is actually better to do a 10-15 min high intense exercise than something long. Your body actually only burns fat during the early stages of a high intense program due to how the body sets itself up. After those 15 min, your body goes into anaerobic, and your body burns the other stuff, but not fat. This is also why after a workout, your metabolism is actually lower for the next 24 hours to help the body recuperate.

Yes, you can get most of your water from food, but you should also take into consideration how it is presented. Soup that is heavy in salt and sodium is actually horrible for you, makes you retain water, and does not flsuh out properly. So yes you are absorbing water into your body, but also really bad stuff for you if you are not too careful.

I can't find the article online, but it was a study done earlier this year.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Sodium is not "horrible" for you, unless you have blood pressure problems. Without it, you'd die.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    That doesn't change the fact that your body can GET the water from the coffee, tea, soda and even soup.

Coffee and tea are classified as diuretics. What does diuretics do to the body?

If a person wants to drink coffee, tea, etc. that's fine. That's their body. I drink coffee every blue moon. I drink tea. But my number one drink is water. I rather drink it than anything else.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Pure caffeine is a diuretic. Coffee and tea are not diuretics, as they do not contain nearly enough caffeine to have much dehydrating effect, and the amount of water in coffee and tea more than offset any potential diuretic effect.. Have you even read anything that anyone else has said in this thread? Or are you just intentionally ignoring facts to troll people?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Water itself is also a diuretic. But, as with tea and coffee, the amount of water you actually take in far, far outweighs the diuretic effect.
  • dawnfro
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. The formula for calculating how much water you need in a day minimum is 0.5 oz per pound of body weight (divide your weight in half and that's how many ounces you need a day). This was one of the basics I learned was I was studying for personal training a few years back. Hope it helps. Also if it's hot out or you are doing a lot of physical exertion you need to increase that number. You'll have to pee a lot at first but your body will get used to it and you won't have to as much after a week or two.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options

If a person wants to drink coffee, tea, etc. that's fine. That's their body. I drink coffee every blue moon. I drink tea. But my number one drink is water. I rather drink it than anything else.

Peer review > random internet person

"Advising people to disregard caffeinated beverages as part of the daily fluid intake is not substantiated by the results of this study."
    http://www.jacn.org/content/19/5/591.full

http://scholar.googleusercontent.com/scholar?q=cache:85QTtKz3ByUJ:scholar.google.com/+Coffee+hydration+diuretic&hl=en&as_sdt=0,38