OMG this is sooo frustrating, there are carbs EVERYWHERE

Options

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Congratulations...you've figured out there's no such thing as zero carb.
  • JRMcCaghren
    Options
    I'm a bit surprised. I've been here almost 6 weeks and don't remember ever going over on carbs. On a normal day, I'm WAY over on protein, a little over on fat, and WAY under on carbs.

I suppose one way to go over would be to eat a lot of fruit and veggies. Many of them have loads of carbs, but they're certainly different than eating a loaf of bread.
  • mdmarcha
    Options
    I logged my eggs this morning and even they have carbs in them. Cheese has carbs, meat has carbs. I keep going over my 50g daily carbs and I know thats why I'm loosing weight so slowly.

No, you're losing weight so slowly because losing weight isn't a quick process, for starters.

Secondly, in my experience, there are two REAL reasons why people don't lose weight.

1 - Over estimating calories burned
    2 - Under estimating calorie intake

These can be compounded by not tracking everything you eat (Binging and not logging that day)

Log accurately, and buy a BodyMedia FIT or other HRM to accurately track calories burned, and you WILL lose weight.

This is one place I have my bases covered. I track my calories on my BodyMediaFit log and I have the body media fit to help me track burn. according to it, I burn an average 4000 cal/day (very active job, and three hours in the gym 4x week). So 2000 cal deficit should be burning a pound every two days, and I'm getting the edge with low carb too. I just don't getit.

Edit- I also use a digital scale to weight all my food in grams
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Carbs are delicious.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    BACON BACON BACON!!!!!!!!!!
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Well, yes. Really what i should have said is im trying to avoid highly processed carbs so i stick to occasional organic oatcakes which are low in salt, have no sugar or gluten and are low GI. It is difficult to avoid carbs (well for me expecially it seems!)and i am trying to make wiser choices is what i was trying to explain.
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    you know what I hate and find frustrating...there is skinny people EVERYWHERE...

HaHa yeah this! :laugh:
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Carbs are essential to the body. ESSENTIAL to some areas of the brain and red blood cells, as well as the primary source of energy for your muscles and the entire brain. I could go on and on about this giving way too much detail but I will spare you. The point is to stay away from refined carbs (bread, chips, refined pastas, cake etc ) and eat 100g (min) to 130g of healthy carbs (veggy's, some fruit and some whole grain). Make 1/2 your meals veggies. :flowerforyou:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

Aren't oats a "white carb"?

NO! Feel free to eat real whole oats and steel cut oats. They're great for you.
    Avoid "instant" packets.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1500 calories for a guy your height is really low, and you want to weigh 150? isn't that under weight for your height.

I agree. 150 is very low for a man of 6ft1, maybe you should be looking to replace some fat with muscle as apposed to just losing weight. and 1500 is very little. i am 5ft5 and 123lbs and i eat 1500 cals!
  • mdmarcha
    Options
    1500 calories for a guy your height is really low, and you want to weigh 150? isn't that under weight for your height.

I upped them to 2000. But I want to be 150 because I have a very large bodyfat percent for my weight. I need to get under 10% to start a bulk. Right now I'm about 30%bf
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Carbs are essential to the body. ESSENTIAL to some areas of the brain and red blood cells, as well as the primary source of energy for your muscles and the entire brain. I could go on and on about this giving way too much detail but I will spare you. The point is to stay away from refined carbs (bread, chips, refined pastas, cake etc ) and eat 100g (min) to 130g of healthy carbs (veggy's, some fruit and some whole grain). Make 1/2 your meals veggies. :flowerforyou:

CHO is not an essential macronutrient to the body.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I upped them to 2000. But I want to be 150 because I have a very large bodyfat percent for my weight. I need to get under 10% to start a bulk. Right now I'm about 30%bf

if you eat at too much of a deficit your body will be losing muscle as well as fat.
  • robin52077
    Options
    according to it, I burn an average 4000 cal/day (very active job, and three hours in the gym 4x week). So 2000 cal deficit should be burning a pound every two days,

I FOUND YOUR PROBLEM!

1000 calories a day is the largest deficit you should have.

Either ease up on your activity or eat MORE. You can't have a 2000+ deficit daily. Your body is freaking out thinking it is starving and holding on for dear life.
  • mdmarcha
    Options

if you eat at too much of a deficit your body will be losing muscle as well as fat.

How much is too much of a deficit?
  • mdmarcha
    Options
    according to it, I burn an average 4000 cal/day (very active job, and three hours in the gym 4x week). So 2000 cal deficit should be burning a pound every two days,

I FOUND YOUR PROBLEM!

Either ease up on your activity or eat MORE. You can't have a 2000+ deficit daily. Your body is freaking out thinking it is starving and holding on for dear life.

I heard starvation mode was a myth. Something about a starvation study in Minnesota.
  • robin52077
    Options

How much is too much of a deficit?

for anyone...more than 1000 is too much

for people with less than 30 pounds to lose...more than 500 is too much

last ten pounds...250 is optimal
  • ChrisIn757
    ChrisIn757 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    anything with any sort of sugar in it has carbs (even fruit). Doing a low/no carb diet is extremely difficult. I suggest just doing a whole food diet. Just shop around the outer edge of the grocery store (ie produce & meat), and then eat in MODERATION. I have had MUCH better results doing this than any form of a low/no carb diet, and like a previous user wrote, "the more colorful the better". Eat fruits, veggies, whole meats (not processed). Stay away from fried foods, and processed foods as much as possible. If you cant eat it raw, it's probably not good to be putting into your body.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

I FOUND YOUR PROBLEM!

It also depends on if someone is morbidly obese. People that have ALOT of weight to lose can afford to go under the 1000 calorie deficit (2lb/wk).
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I just started following a doctor recommended low carb diet last Wednesday. Feel free too look at my diary. Also note that I buy the highest quality meat I can - local, grass fed beef, organic chicken, organic eggs etc. The first phase is supposed to go 2 weeks but I might switch after 10 days.

In Phase 2 I can eat some fruits and steel cut oats. I have been losing a lot of weight all ready - I see a drop on the scale every day. This after losing 29 pounds, regaining a few and bouncing back and forth in a 3 pound range all summer. I am planning to follow this plan to Thanksgiving and then I will probably allow myself some treats for the holidays but I don't plan to go all out on refined carbs ever!

Amy
This discussion has been closed.