OMG this is sooo frustrating, there are carbs EVERYWHERE

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1500 calories for a guy your height is really low, and you want to weigh 150? isn't that under weight for your height.

I upped them to 2000. But I want to be 150 because I have a very large bodyfat percent for my weight. I need to get under 10% to start a bulk. Right now I'm about 30%bf

if you eat at too much of a deficit your body will be losing muscle as well as fat.

How much is too much of a deficit?

MFP reccommends a 500 cal deficit per day. If the above post is correct and you burn 4000 cals per day and only eat 1500 then THAT is too much of a deficit, and that is why your body is clinging to the weight. You also cant build muscle on a deficit, so you really really need to eat more so that you are fueling your body properly.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    according to it, I burn an average 4000 cal/day (very active job, and three hours in the gym 4x week). So 2000 cal deficit should be burning a pound every two days,

I FOUND YOUR PROBLEM!

1000 calories a day is the largest deficit you should have.

Either ease up on your activity or eat MORE. You can't have a 2000+ deficit daily. Your body is freaking out thinking it is starving and holding on for dear life.

I heard starvation mode was a myth. Something about a starvation study in Minnesota.

what people routinely and ignorantly refer to AS starvation mode is usually wrong, but the act of your body lowering it's metabolism to protect itself from starvation is most definitely not a myth.
    Besides, too large of a deficit and you are losing muscle, not just fat. That defeats your goal of lowering your body fat percentage, you need to preserve the muscle to do that.
  • MissMom3
    MissMom3 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You should try the Atkins bars. You can find them at Wal-Mart or Atkins.com. And also, you should be looking at the net carbs for a low carb diet. I did the Atkins diet for 6 weeks and lost 30 lbs., but a half of it came back afterward. It's not realistic I think unless you add 5 carbs each week after you slow to a lb. a week. The website explains it very well.
  • mdmarcha
    Options
    anything with any sort of sugar in it has carbs (even fruit). Doing a low/no carb diet is extremely difficult. I suggest just doing a whole food diet. Just shop around the outer edge of the grocery store (ie produce & meat), and then eat in MODERATION. I have had MUCH better results doing this than any form of a low/no carb diet, and like a previous user wrote, "the more colorful the better". Eat fruits, veggies, whole meats (not processed). Stay away from fried foods, and processed foods as much as possible. If you cant eat it raw, it's probably not good to be putting into your body.

I'll look at the outer edge of my market next time I'm there, but if I remember the place as well as I think, the outer edge has produce, meat, dairy, eggs, poultry, frozen pizza, frozen desserts, and Ice Cream. Maybe the first 3/4 of the outer part of the store?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not essential to the human body.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    according to it, I burn an average 4000 cal/day (very active job, and three hours in the gym 4x week). So 2000 cal deficit should be burning a pound every two days,

I FOUND YOUR PROBLEM!

Either ease up on your activity or eat MORE. You can't have a 2000+ deficit daily. Your body is freaking out thinking it is starving and holding on for dear life.

It also depends on if someone is morbidly obese. People that have ALOT of weight to lose can afford to go under the 1000 calorie deficit (2lb/wk).

well, yeah, under a doctor's care, sure.

But he's not obese. He is 6'1" 190 lbs, that is teetering between healthy and overweight. Hence why I said to not have more than 1000 deficit.:wink:
  • mdmarcha
    Options

I FOUND YOUR PROBLEM!

I heard starvation mode was a myth. Something about a starvation study in Minnesota.

what people routinely and ignorantly refer to AS starvation mode is usually wrong, but the act of your body lowering it's metabolism to protect itself from starvation is most definitely not a myth.
    Besides, too large of a deficit and you are losing muscle, not just fat. That defeats your goal of lowering your body fat percentage, you need to preserve the muscle to do that.

Huh, looks like I have some research to do. My trainer was telling me that I could go big on low carb diet because you get so much fat and protein to support hormone production and my body should roll along. I look in to this holding on to weight in a big cal defiicit.
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I saw a carb once hidding behind a stem of broccoli.

:bigsmile:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Eh?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You might find some information in the other thread you started last week about low-carb:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/366613-new-to-low-carb-can-somebody-look-at-my-meal-plan
  • mdmarcha
    Options
    I saw a carb once hidding behind a stem of broccoli.

:bigsmile:

They are a crafty enemy, that's for sure. It's like they get in to everything.
  • mdmarcha
    Options
    You might find some information in the other thread you started last week about low-carb:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/366613-new-to-low-carb-can-somebody-look-at-my-meal-plan

Oh my. I ran from that thread because it turned in to an argument. Those two trouble makers showed up and ruined the thread.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Have you been enjoying much success with your shake weight?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/366686-anybody-here-use-the-shake-weight
  • mdmarcha
    Options
    Have you been enjoying much success with your shake weight?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/366686-anybody-here-use-the-shake-weight

That was a joke, silly. Much like the Vitamin R thread.
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Try gluten free products as well..

you know what I hate and find frustrating...there is skinny people EVERYWHERE...

I know, those darn skinny folks!! :laugh:
  • ChrisIn757
    ChrisIn757 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    anything with any sort of sugar in it has carbs (even fruit). Doing a low/no carb diet is extremely difficult. I suggest just doing a whole food diet. Just shop around the outer edge of the grocery store (ie produce & meat), and then eat in MODERATION. I have had MUCH better results doing this than any form of a low/no carb diet, and like a previous user wrote, "the more colorful the better". Eat fruits, veggies, whole meats (not processed). Stay away from fried foods, and processed foods as much as possible. If you cant eat it raw, it's probably not good to be putting into your body.

I'll look at the outer edge of my market next time I'm there, but if I remember the place as well as I think, the outer edge has produce, meat, dairy, eggs, poultry, frozen pizza, frozen desserts, and Ice Cream. Maybe the first 3/4 of the outer part of the store?

Your splitting hairs bro. The front side of the store has candy bars and soda too...obviously it's a general rule and you still have to make wise decisions. USUALLY the outter wall of stores contains the majority of your non-processed whole foods. (ie you dont ever find whole foods in a can or box, except maybe unsalted nuts). Sure you can stand in the diary section and find cheese which is processed or turn around and see the first aisle of frozen foods too. There is no "simple" diet. You need to take your weight lose into your own hands and be responsible for what you put into your body.
  • mdmarcha
    Options

Your splitting hairs bro. The front side of the store has candy bars and soda too...obviously it's a general rule and you still have to make wise decisions. USUALLY the outter wall of stores contains the majority of your non-processed whole foods. (ie you dont ever find whole foods in a can or box, except maybe unsalted nuts). Sure you can stand in the diary section and find cheese which is processed or turn around and see the first aisle of frozen foods too. There is no "simple" diet. You need to take your weight lose into your own hands and be responsible for what you put into your body.

Gotcha. I do like the idea. Only carbs not in a bag/box are fruit and veggies. I can do this.
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    But he's not obese. He is 6'1" 190 lbs, that is teetering between healthy and overweight. Hence why I said to not have more than 1000 deficit.:wink:

Wow, that is some messed up numbers to put 190 for 6'1 within an overweight category. Being 6'1 and currently at 188lb, I am skinny enough to hula hoop thru a cheerio! To each their own I guess...
  • mdmarcha
    Options

Wow, that is some messed up numbers to put 190 for 6'1 within an overweight category. Being 6'1 and currently at 188lb, I am skinny enough to hula hoop thru a cheerio! To each their own I guess...

My bf is extremely high. I don't have genetics like you do.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

I FOUND YOUR PROBLEM!

It also depends on if someone is morbidly obese. People that have ALOT of weight to lose can afford to go under the 1000 calorie deficit (2lb/wk).

well, yeah, under a doctor's care, sure.

Was just saying. You said anyone shouldn't go under the 1000 deficit. I'm just being technical. =)
This discussion has been closed.