Do I need to go low carb

Options
13»

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    to lose weight? Everyone in my family says thats the way to do it

No. You only need to create a caloric deficit.

/thread

And if going low carb makes it easier for you, go for it.
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    I know for some people low carb works and other it dont. I say experment and see what works for you, do some research, talk with a doc. there is no one size fits all healthy diet//lifestyle
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    N/m you smell like a troll.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    From Dr. Oz

Stopped reading there.

Likewise.

I never even look at my carbs, but doing a report it seems im around 170-190 a day. Calorie are the important thing to watch.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    NO.

I laugh at the anti-carb nazis. I've been fit and never overweight my entire life. I eat anything I want in moderation (in fairness, I will say I do avoid partially hydrogenated oils, or corn syrup/sugar).

I also eat more than 2000 cals on most days and I don't know how these starving people can stand life.

blessings.

then how do you feel you can judge what helps an overweight person drop the weight??
    you spout these word with absolutely no expierence.
    i appreicate being laugh at by someone who has not walked a foot let alone a mile in my shoes. kudos to your sensitivity

Exercise + healthy eating = fit person, period. I don't have to make the widgets to know how to run a widget factory.

but what defines healthy eating can be diffrent from one to the next.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    N/m you smell like a troll.

curious to whom you are refering?
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Each person's body chemistry is different. I can tell you this, when I do low carb, I feel so much better. I loose weight, I have energy, I'm not b*tchy. I'm actually a bit hyper low carbing because I've so much energy now lol.
  • Beths8705
    Options
    I have lost 80 lbs in about 6 months a few years ago then I gained about 25 back so I started again in july and Im down another 40 lbs... but I recomment reading the "NEW ATKINS FOR A NEW YOU" it will get you on perfect track its only $10 bucks at walmart... I have numerous recipes feel free to add me... I can give tons of advice about low carb!
    Thanks
    Beth
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I dropped 7lb after cutting carbs (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes) for few week but then seem to be stuck again. you might drop half a stone from it.. more if you lucky?

Oh bummer - I have lost 7 pounds in the past week cutting carbs I was hoping it would continue. Maybe not at this pace but at least continued loss.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I dropped 7lb after cutting carbs (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes) for few week but then seem to be stuck again. you might drop half a stone from it.. more if you lucky?

Oh bummer - I have lost 7 pounds in the past week cutting carbs I was hoping it would continue. Maybe not at this pace but at least continued loss.

I ate the Atkins way starting in 2000 and dropped 145 pounds in about 6-7 months. Kept that off for 6 years, then got diagnosed with Celiac disease. Got royally pissed at the diagnosis and started eating anything gluten free I felt like. Gained back 60 but have still kept off 85 for 11 years now.

I went back to low carb at the end of July upon the recommendation of my doctor and the dietician she sent me to. I've dropped 31 since then and feel 100% better. I've given up my GERD meds, 1 of my BP meds and am weaning off my anti-depressant.

As long as I keep my carbs to between 50-70 grams a day or lower, I lose and feel fine.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    NO.

I laugh at the anti-carb nazis. I've been fit and never overweight my entire life. I eat anything I want in moderation (in fairness, I will say I do avoid partially hydrogenated oils, or corn syrup/sugar).

I also eat more than 2000 cals on most days and I don't know how these starving people can stand life.

blessings.

then how do you feel you can judge what helps an overweight person drop the weight??
    you spout these word with absolutely no expierence.
    i appreicate being laugh at by someone who has not walked a foot let alone a mile in my shoes. kudos to your sensitivity

Exercise + healthy eating = fit person, period. I don't have to make the widgets to know how to run a widget factory.

but what defines healthy eating can be diffrent from one to the next.

Yes, you may choose to define healthy any way you want. Good luck with that.
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    to lose weight? Everyone in my family says thats the way to do it

There is no one eating plan that is right for everyone, so no, you do not have to go low carb to lose weight.

My husband has an aunt who *swears* by Atkins and is incrediably pushy and judgemental about it. She was loads of fun to be around at thanksgiving, munching on her sliced cucumber and telling everyone else that she just couldn't believe the amount of crap we were putting into our bodies. :ohwell:

Low carb worked for her. Weight Wacthers worked for my in laws. My dad lost a significant amount of weight on nutri system, my Aunt seems to be having success with the 17 day diet, and I am doing just fine with plain old calorie counting.

Find something that works for YOU. Something you can maintain over a lifetime, and work into your everyday life.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    my wife eats tons of carbs and sugar with her veggies. She is vegan and thin. That works for her, but not for me. I tried it her way, put on weight and was hypoglycemic and always had sugar cravings. I switched to paleo and ended up losing a lot of weight -- it works for me. There is more to weight loss than a particular balance of macro-nutrients.