Challenge: All I want for Christmas is a six pack....

Options
12346»

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, I have entirely stopped doing abs-specific exercises and almost entirely cut out cardio. I'm relying on the core support needed for squats, deadlifts, pendlay rows, standing shoulder presses, and even bench press to keep working my ab muscles, and relying on my calorie deficit plus the additional shred from heavy lifting to burn away the fat covering those lovely abs up. I know I haven't updated a pic in awhile, but I think this week I will finally have some noticeable results to show. Here's hoping!
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    IMG_2321-1-1.jpg

LOL terrible photo but it's the best my wife could snap without preparing her properly to take it from the right angle to display the contortions involved ;)
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    And now for some pix a bit more relevant to the challenge at hand :)
    IMG_2305-1.jpg
    IMG_2306-1.jpg
    IMG_2309-1.jpg
    IMG_2292-1.jpg

Not a WHOLE lot of visible difference, but I think you can tell when you compare to what is (as of now) my current photo for the site. AND I'm a half inch down in my waist, an inch down in my hips, and an inch up in my forearm, AND I'm at a new record low weight. All in all...I'll take it. ;)

Ok last pic today lol. I finally figured out photobucket AND photoshop, so I'm going a little hog wild today:
    Twomonths10-12-1.jpg
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Damn huff! That's a helluva Astavakrasana there! Kudos!

Good job on all the other achievements too :)

Jay
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    It's really not Jay lol. It's pretty sloppy, but you know what they all say...Sloppy Astavakrasana is better than no Astavakrasana.

Ok, maybe no one says that. But I'm saying it.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    whoa. did all my pictures break for everyone or just me? Anyhow, how are you guys coming along? Less than 10 days!! How are we going to come in?
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I wished I could see a definable difference but if I'm honest, my mid section is not 'ripped and tight'.

Which sounds despondent - oh boy but I'm not!!

I'm dead chuffed with my progress and will upload piccies on the weekend, my shape is different and I can feel how toned my muscles are and I particularly like to glance in the mirror and catch myself twisting sideways (with the right lighting) it fills me with joy to see the definition.

I walk around the house lifting my top up to my family saying, "can you see them yet?". They humour me bless them!
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    lol i think my wife is getting annoyed with my constant self-inspection, too. I'm also happy with my overall progress so far, although I doubt I'll get the actual 6-pack by Christmas. Maybe we all re-up this challenge between New Year and Valentine's day?

I'll get new pics up before Monday, hopefully.
  • jayb0ne
    Options
    Not bad... I think I'm gonna be pretty much there :)

I haven't done a core workout in over 2 weeks. This last week I've been having a post P90x break and the week before was of course recovery week so no Ab RIpper.

I've dropped another 6 lb the last 3 weeks or so in an effort to shred bodyfat as much as possible to get the ab separation I need.

It's definitely there, I just need to maximise it as much as I can in the next week with a few solid Core routines.

So who'll be logging in on Xmas Day to share final results? I will :)

Jay
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    I will for sure! No more concentrated core work for me, I think. I'm certain that the lifts I'm doing and the yoga I'm keeping up on are giving my core all the work it needs to stay strong and defined; I just need to cut the fat to reveal it!
  • marthafox1
    Options
    Erm - logging in on Christmas day.....I will do my very best guys! However, I am chief cook, bottle washer, present buyer, wrapper, chef, father Christmas, interior designer, baker, wife, mother and jolly so and so. In addition, I will have eaten so many brussel sprouts that I will be likely to be seen from space having taken off using only the power of methane!
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    I will have eaten so many brussel sprouts that I will be likely to be seen from space having taken off using only the power of methane!

LOL
  • marthafox1
    Options
    Update picture taken today. It's not the tight ripped I had envisaged but actually, I'm thinking that maybe (just maybe) that's not a good look anyway for me.

When I thought about what I was trying to achieve, I guess it boiled down to this, when I remove my clothes I want it to be evident that I look after my body and that I work out. That there is definition (in a healthy toned way) and muscle tone visible. If by accident my tummy becomes visible, I want it to be a pleasant sight and a bit of a surprise (almost like a little secret you carry around with you).

Anyway, still got a week to work on it and I know that this week is going to be tough because of all the Christmas preparations and the obscure eating habits I will no doubt be faced with due to late night shopping, early mornings and family gatherings.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Everyone who has posted pics...I CAN tell a difference in your ab tone/definition from October to now, GREAT job! I can tell a difference in mine as well although it is not as toned as I would have liked. I didn' t ever get around to taking a "before" picture, but I look SO much better in fitted shirts that now lay flat on my stomach as opposed to showing the flab that was there a few months ago.

Definitely keeping up the ab exercises after Christmas as I think the very toned look is attainable by swimsuit season. I don't want ANY fat showing in the skintight tri tops I wear in triathlons next year!
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    24 hours remain...and here's my take on it. I succeedfailed. Lemme 'splain.

I went into this challenge looking to get something I've never had. Something I've always wanted, but in the back of my head maybe told myself wasn't ever really going to happen. Something that, even at the peak of my physical fitness, as a state-finalist-level swimmer my senior year in high school, I didn't have. The ever-elusive highly coveted six pack.

I still don't have one.

What I DO have is a bunch more awesome supportive MFP friends, a better overall physique, a great frame of mind when it comes to my personal fitness, a greater understanding of dietary science, a new dietary plan, better comprehension of a lot of elements of weight lifting, a new workout plan, and all in all...the tools to eventually get to that 6-pack. I'll post pics tomorrow at some point, and maybe even try to whip up a side-by-side from the start of the challenge to the finish. I hope you guys can see the difference that I feel, and thanks for my awesome xmus present ;)

Now...do we set the next challenge from New Year's to St. Paddy's, or to Valentimes [sic] Day? ;)
  • jayb0ne
    Options
    It's Christmas day here in the UK. 12:39am.

Nearly 4 months ago - August 28th - I emailed myself the 'six pack by Xmas day challenge'. Just an email to keep at the bottom of my inbox as a reminder. Pretty much just a title and a vague outline of how I intended to get a visible six pack.

Have I got a six pack now, Christmas day, nearly 4 months later? Yep :D

Did it happen the way I expected? Not really...

Having never had a sixer in my life, it was interesting to watch it form and see what shape my abs would take. It was also fun experimenting and trying out different nutritional strategies to get the ole abs to show through. In the end I had to drop 7lb below my original weight loss goal weight to get them coming through visibly the way I wanted.

in the last 5 or 6 weeks, I reasoned that the only 2 ways to get the abs coming through are to grow bigger abs and/or to cut bodyfat. Eating on a deficit as I was at the time meant that growing bigger abs wasn't feasible within the timeframe, so that left cutting as much bodyfat as possible and maintaining what core muscle I have.

Pretty much got there. It aint the mens health cover model six pack I expected, but without doubt, from every angle, my ab muscles are visible.

I'm a lower weight now (153lb) than I'm comfortable with to be honest, but I reached the goal in the mirror that I was reaching for. Plenty of time to gain it all back with my new year bulk anyway ;)

I'll get some pics posted in the morning. Depending if I have time, I may dig out the pictures from Aug 28th (I've taken daily update pictures since about April..) and do a comparison type thing..

Merry Xmas everyone!

Jay
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Congrats to Jay on getting the infamous Six Pack! Huffdog--good job on all your progress towards a 6 pack & keep working hard!

Thanks for all the support & tips on abs training. I've enjoyed this challenge & I'm much improved over the beginning of this challenge, but I'm still chasing the ever elusive six pack!