124»

Replies

• judkinsjenny
    Options
    paragaurd is hormone free :)
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    I know I'm done having kids so I had the essure procedure done and I love it! I just wish I would have gone for the ablation at the same time.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I have a mirena that was put in about 4 weeks post-partum, so my cervix was already a little bit open. I had no pain or issues at all...I love it.

Nuvaring is a good idea, but my insurance wanted me to pay $50 A MONTH for the stupid thing. No thanks.
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of the same issues the OP has. I am allergic to latex and spermicide, extremely sensitive to most chemicals, I've done the pill (several kinds) but they literally make me a basket case and everyone ends up hating me and I easily gain 30 pounds on them, and the new info out about the shots has me running the other way with my legs crossed. LOL!

My doctor is actually a Midwife who is highly sought after by OBGYN clinics who really want her working there. I know this because I've been to those clinics, they see her name on my history sheet and always mention something about wanting to get her to work there. She manages just fine on her own because she never lacking patients. She refuses to work for anyone because she doesn't want to have to deal with the politics of an office. She is all about doing what is best for a woman's body, which is different for everyone. She is super open about stuff and says it like it is. She ROCKS!!

She suggested the IUD for me because of my ridiculous sensitivities. I had it put in a few weeks ago. She gave me that pill BEFORE the procedure. Let me tell you how she explained it to me....... ** I want you to take this pill, which will help to open your cervix so that the device can go in without causing you as much pain. It will cause your cervix to dilate. Some dumbass doctors wait until they have tried to put it in and then they've usually got a patient that is either passed out from the pain or would rather just give up on birth control. I think that is because most of the doctors that are doing the procedure are men or at least haven't had an IUD themselves. I see no reason to keep you in the dark on this, so I will let you know it will hurt like a mother if you don't get your cervix to dilate first. It will still hurt, but it will most likely be over in 15 minutes. You may feel terrible cramps for a day or two and mild cramping for another week or two after that. You may bleed or spot for several weeks, but it will probably just be a mild nuisance. DO NOT take any pain meds of any kind BEFORE the procedure! Those cause your body to relax a bit too much inside and make it harder to get the device in, which equals more pain. Take those AFTER the procedure.**

In my case, she was right about everything she said would happen. One AMAZING side effect for me is that my peri-menopause symptoms have lessened quite a bit. I was having horrible night sweats and just started having killer hot flashes during the day for about 3 months prior to having the IUD. Now I rarely have those happen anymore! Woohoo!!! My weight isn't moving, but I don't know if it's due to the IUD or to me starting school again. (last year I put on 70+ pounds in school :noway: .... yeah, stress eater here:ohwell: )

So, that is my experience with an IUD. Sorry it took me forever and 1/2 to get to the point! :laugh:
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I got the Mirena. I was screaming when they were putting it in, nearly passed out after, and threw up in the parking lot as I was leaving. I haven't had any kids. The pill, while regulating me like clockwork (literally, and I mean that) combined with my super stressful call center job and being fat caused me to have ridiculously high blood pressure, so I had to get off that. My doc recommended the IUD and it looked like the most maintenance-free option so I went with it. Other than having it put in, I haven't had any problems and like it. It's nice not having to worry about taking a pill or changing something.
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Geesh! I HATE long posts :grumble: and I just posted the LONGEST post ever in the history of posts! :laugh:

In my defense... I'm on Oxycodon right now. :wink:
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    OP I just read your reasons why you can't use other forms of BC and I totally understand. There is actually another option that you can look into if you're interested, but it's not 'maintenance free' like the IUD. There's a wonderful book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility that teaches you to keep track of various signs and symptoms of fertility throughout your cycle so you can figure out when your fertile time is and thus when to avoid sex or use condoms. The method does require you 'doing' something, it's not like the IUD where you can just forget about it. There are a couple of websites that are great for helping you track the signs that you learn about - www.fertilityfriend.com and www.mymonthlycycles.com are two good ones. I know at least one of them has a mobile program for cell phones but can't remember which. Some women prefer the IUD since you don't generally have to worry about it. (you actually DO, though, b/c yes some women find it falls out - sometimes w/o noticing - some end up pregnant b/c it falls out and a few get pregnant even with it still in - I know of 2 people this has happened to but it's not super-common). IUDs have a very good success rate but they do sometimes fail. Then again the natural methods can easily fail if you are not dedicated to following the methods and being careful when you're supposed to. So it's really up to you whatever you think is best for your preferences and situation.

I would never trust the rhythm method...definately not 100%. There is too much room for accidents or miscalculations. Hormone levels fluctuate from time to time, and at different stages in your life. That just leaves much too much to chance.

Yes, there are difficulties and complications with ANY form of Birth Control. NONE are proven to be 100% effective...other than .. like I mentioned before .. ABSTINANCE.

The rhythm method is not what this poster is talking about. Rhythm is when you predict how long your cycle may be based upon past cycles. Natural family planning, nowadays, uses your body's signs (basal temperature, cervical mucous and sometimes cervix opening) to determine when you are and are not fertile. It is not the rhythm method which was highly inaccurate. The current natural family planning methods are much more science based and highly accurate (something like 99% effective) when used properly, like anything else you might consider for getting pregnant or avoiding it. We decided to have five children using NFP. Now we are done and we are confident in the same method for not having any more babies. If you are interested in more information, I'd be glad to find it for you. :)

BTW I do find it interesting that the same people who wouldn't dare eat a Dunkin Donut because it's filled with all kinds of crap are sometimes the very same people who will shoot themselves up with all kinds of chemicals to avoid getting pregnant. Maybe it's just that they dont know how effective a natural method is... I dont know. It just seems ironic to me.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I had the traditional copper put in in 2005, 6 weeks after my 1st child, and I have never had a single problem with it! Love it, didn't have but just a little bit of pain during insertion and have not had a single pregnancy scare nor hormonal issues!

IUDs are not typically recommended for women who haven't had children, because it may not properly attach to the uterus and also, you should check it once a month after your menstrual cycle to ensure it is still in place, that is what the string is for.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I got the Mirena. I was screaming when they were putting it in, nearly passed out after, and threw up in the parking lot as I was leaving. I haven't had any kids. The pill, while regulating me like clockwork (literally, and I mean that) combined with my super stressful call center job and being fat caused me to have ridiculously high blood pressure, so I had to get off that. My doc recommended the IUD and it looked like the most maintenance-free option so I went with it. Other than having it put in, I haven't had any problems and like it. It's nice not having to worry about taking a pill or changing something.

re "I was screaming when they were putting it in, nearly passed out after, and threw up in the parking lot as I was leaving." Oh yeah. Here's something that we ALL should try at least once. No thanks.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    OP I just read your reasons why you can't use other forms of BC and I totally understand. There is actually another option that you can look into if you're interested, but it's not 'maintenance free' like the IUD. There's a wonderful book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility that teaches you to keep track of various signs and symptoms of fertility throughout your cycle so you can figure out when your fertile time is and thus when to avoid sex or use condoms. The method does require you 'doing' something, it's not like the IUD where you can just forget about it. There are a couple of websites that are great for helping you track the signs that you learn about - www.fertilityfriend.com and www.mymonthlycycles.com are two good ones. I know at least one of them has a mobile program for cell phones but can't remember which. Some women prefer the IUD since you don't generally have to worry about it. (you actually DO, though, b/c yes some women find it falls out - sometimes w/o noticing - some end up pregnant b/c it falls out and a few get pregnant even with it still in - I know of 2 people this has happened to but it's not super-common). IUDs have a very good success rate but they do sometimes fail. Then again the natural methods can easily fail if you are not dedicated to following the methods and being careful when you're supposed to. So it's really up to you whatever you think is best for your preferences and situation.

I would never trust the rhythm method...definately not 100%. There is too much room for accidents or miscalculations. Hormone levels fluctuate from time to time, and at different stages in your life. That just leaves much too much to chance.

Yes, there are difficulties and complications with ANY form of Birth Control. NONE are proven to be 100% effective...other than .. like I mentioned before .. ABSTINANCE.

I can appreciate your mistrust of the Rhythm method and it is well-placed since that particular method has no basis in biology. The method I'm talking about is NOT the rhythm method - it is the Fertility Awareness Method (or Natural Family Planning method - they vary slightly but are based on the same principles). It is much more complicated. There are biological signs that signal an individual woman's fertile times (changes in basal body temperature, cervical position and firmness, cervical fluid discharge) which can be observed and tracked in order to interpret when you are close to ovulation. It is easier for women who have a very regular cycle (same number of days each cycle) but it can also be used (with perhaps a bit more caution) by women with irregular cycles too (different numbers of days) since it is based on observing actual signs of ovulation. It is *not* the rhythm method.

Probably the most 'fool proof' way to use it is to abstain or use condoms until after you are positive you have already ovulated. There is a telltale change in temperature that happens very close to ovulation and your cervical fluid discharges change afterward, plus if you are observing the signs that show you that ovulation is near, you can use ovulation predictor tests (like a pregnancy test, but testing for the hormone that signals ovulation instead) to pinpoint when it has happened so that you know you are safe for the rest of the cycle until your menstruation arrives. (that gives you less than a 2 week window of 'safeness' but to me it's the absolute safest way to get started with this method while you are learning your signs - playing it safe the first part of the cycle until after you know you have ovulated).

It's a lot more complicated than what I've typed out but that's why there's a whole book on the subject. ;-) There's actually a very entertaining part at the beginning of the book where the author reflects on a time when she thought this method was the same thing as the Rhythm method and her lack of knowledge cost her a job she was interviewing for. LOL This is stuff that they don't exactly teach you in Sex Ed class but it's extremely valuable for women to know, even if they don't plan on using the info for contraception. It's also *extremely* helpful in trying to conceive since it helps you recognize the best times to have sex to attempt to achieve a pregnancy.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Nope. I always get a designated driver.

lol
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    OP I just read your reasons why you can't use other forms of BC and I totally understand. There is actually another option that you can look into if you're interested, but it's not 'maintenance free' like the IUD. There's a wonderful book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility............

I would never trust the rhythm method...definately not 100%........

The rhythm method is not what this poster is talking about.....

Thanks, I had started typing and had to walk away from the computer. :-)
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I had the copper IUD inserted when my daughter was 6 weeks old and yes it was super uncomfortable. I found out when my daughter was 3 months old I was pregnant with my now son. It had somehow dislogged itself? Since then I've read numerous stories of it happening to other women.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    re "I was screaming when they were putting it in, nearly passed out after, and threw up in the parking lot as I was leaving." Oh yeah. Here's something that we ALL should try at least once. No thanks.

Never said it's for everyone, I was simply sharing my story. I'm a firm believer in researching things before doing them, and weighing pros and cons. I am also a firm believer that nothing out there is right for everyone. Thank you for reading things into what I said. :grumble:
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    Don't let people piss you off. I appreciate your input. thank you very much.
  • Abbey70
    Abbey70 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have had two. Little discomfort having it put in and a little cramping after but nothing really bad. My first one I had in for 10 years with no problems and my second I have had for 4 years. The second one is good for 12 years. I was told that if you have never had a baby you can't get one cause your cervix isn't open. Also the first one I got they said it was better to have it put in while you are on your monthly cycle. The second one I had put in and was not on my monthly and had no problems with it. I did take Tylenol for cramping but the cramping wasn't any worse than cramping from my monthly cycle. Hope this helps.
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I had it for around 4 years. It may not do this to you but when i had it put in i weighed 170 (after my first baby) and never lost a lb or gained one the whole time I had it. And I sure tried to lose weight like crazy for over a year and nothing. But on the other hand it was the best birth control I have had. I didnt have any other complications. It did hurt a little when they put it in but it was no worse then going through labor. Just a few mins of pain and some cramping and bleeding for a day after is all I had. Taking it out sucks some too. Good luck. Hopefully everything will go well and it will work for you.
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm actually using "Implanon" and its AWESOME! I love it! Its a little rod that they put into your arm and it stays there for 3 years and then you can either get it removed and have another one put right into its place or you can do something else. :bigsmile: Love it! I was WAY to scared to do the IUD and thought that the rod would work better, and I was SO right! I have had it in for almost 9 months so far with no problems at all! Its really great! :bigsmile:
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Never had it but I'm on Depo shot. Some people complain about weight gain but I haven't gained weight from it & I've had no side effects. One shot every 3 months and nothing to worry about everyday like the pill? I'll take it!
    I'm on depo too and it totally changed my life. My reasons were to regulate hormones rather than birth control, but I've had nothing but good side effects, no weight gain, no random hormones, no periods at all since I got it - which is perfect for me.

Oh and the only reason that I am NOT on Depo right now is because it gave me terrible migrains! I would get an instant migraine as SOON as I got the shot! Plus its a pain in the butt trying to get a shot every 3 months!
  • ginny1214
    ginny1214 Posts: 338
    Options
    Implant. In your arm. Great