Is there a site for people who DO NOT follow the 1200 low ca

Options
124»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about HCG. As for the low carb vs not low carb, that bashing runs both ways and does get pretty hot at times. There actually seem to be a lot more low carbers on these boards than not. I'm not sure why people get so passionate about their choice of weigh loss plan, but it's impossible to deny that many do.

My suggestion would be to find some others that do HCG and/or low carb and friend them. Then you can get support from them without coming to the open forums.

Wow, sounds drastic....seems rough to think that you have to "hide in the closet" for your choices.....hmmmm:huh:

I don't think anyone "has" to hide, but sine the OP stated that she has seen and doesn't want the bashing, and this thread has proved true for the HCG bashing, I simply offered her a solution. But I really don't see what is drastic about friends.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I ate under 800 cals today, oh no, the diet police might come and get me! Some people are insulin resistant and have to eat low carb. Some people really can't jump-start weight loss unless they eat like 400-500 calories a day for a few days. Everyone is different. I think these get bashed a bunch on here for a few reasons:

Some people believe in the lipid hypothesis and think eating a diet high in fat is bad. Lower carb diets tend to be higher in fat, because you gotta get energy somewhere. I personally don't and have been known to eat 80+ grams of saturated fat in a day. I love me some saturated fat. My skin has never looked better and my blood chemistry levels are whistling a happy tune.

Some people like to throw around the term "starvation mode". Which to them starvation mode means under 1200 calories a day (even if you are an obese person). However the popular Medifast and Optifast diets are both 800 calories a day. Doctors all over recommend those and people do not go into starvation mode, they lose weight, their metabolisms increase. Now if you were a woman with 17% body fat and you were eating 800 calories a day, yeah, you would probably starve. It's all relative to fat reserves. I think people confuse "starvation mode" with lack of getting nutrients. Optifast and Medifast both have 100% of your daily vitamins and minerals. This can be hard to achieve sometimes on 800 cals a day unless you ate a big kelp and seaweed salad everyday (which is quite tasty).

Some people get jelous that others can omit carbs from their diets and they can't because they love their carbs. I love carbs too, but I don't shed a pound unless I eat under 130 grams a day. I love BBQ sauce with my meat and I love fruit, so bye bye bready breads and pastas, viddy well. I can easily binge on sugary starchy carbs, but that's what got me to be Fatty McGee in the first place, so out they went.

With all that being said, no one diet works for everyone. Some people have a harder time digesting fat and thus have to go on a lower fat- higher carb diet. But it works out in the end. My partner trims the fat off of his streaks, and I'm there to eat that fat. Less for them is more for me and less bread for me is more for some one else. I'm all for complimenting, like I applaud the gold digger and trophy wife combo. Rich guy wants a hot babe for a wife and has a lot of money to attract a hot babe. Hot babe wants a lavish life style and so puts out for rich guy. They work well with each other in my opinion, everyone gets what they want, everyone wins.

I agree with this and I would like to add that some people just HAVE to be right no matter what...they use 34,254,532,734 links that support THEIR method disragarding the other 13,542,542,543,574 articles that don't agree with them...I'm not a nutritionist, I'm not a doctor, I'm not Jillian Michaels so I do what I can according to what feels right for my body. I've always used this site as an outline for a healthy lifestyle, not a diet/exercise program set in stone that I'm chained to! If your body responds to HCG then more power to ya!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I came here because I was referred and I notice everything is based on Low Cal, Low Fat 1200 cal thing. Where are all the Atkins people or Low Carb choice people or HCG people. I typed in HCG and saw nothing but insult after bashing from people who clearly do not like the choice, but not alot of support.

What kind of site is this when peoples choices are ripped apart in a public forum. I actually really liked doing the HCG diet and feel like it helped me to build a different relationship with food. Portion sizes and types of food. Noticing alot of people really have no clue about how HCG works. Any HCG-ers and Low Carbers add me.

Atkins or Low Carbers....where are you all?

Who referred you here? Was it a doctor? Did the doctor say that 500 calories a day is suffice to live on? The people here that apparently are uneducated, ignorant, and against HCG and Atkins are passionionate FOR YOUR HEALTH. Everyone's body is different. 1200 Calories is an average for the body intake. Are you average? Im guessing not. IF Ultra low calorie diets were the "Golden Bullet", why are they not prescribed for the "Average" dieter, or better every obese individual out there...children included. The fact is, they are not. You need to do more research yourself....and preferably not by sites that sell the prduct. If you Google Search HCG, it takes 2 pages of sales sites to find somthing that results in a Medical site...

Everything is a choice. Whatever pathyou choose, please make sure you do endless reserach.
  • MsMouseMouse
    MsMouseMouse Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Do any of you do Atkins, or HCG? Not looking to debate if you will, the reasons I do what I do, just curious if there are any here. But thanks for taking the time to write. :happy:

P.S. I am happy with the diet choices I have made and they are working great for me. I came here to find others who want to support and be supported. That is why I am on MFP. But maybe this is not the place, that's what I am trying to figure out. :huh:

This is a wonderful place to be. It gives you everything that a weight loss program out there offers you for tons of money only you can get here for free. The people who developed this and then decided to offer it out there for free are saints, and angels to most of us. It matters not what you do for your diet (journey). You can use your food diary to count your low fat, low cab, low calorie HCG, Atkins. what ever. I do IF which most people here don't agree with. That is fine, no one else has to agree. They all have the right to offer me their opinion and it is then my right to follow or not what works for me. I will continue to try and keep my diary and count my daily food count even thought that sometimes is lacking. I don't have to contribute to any questions or give my opinion on anything talked about.. However one has to understand that where there are thousands of people use this forum then there has to be disagreements... Take what you need and don't give anything else a second thought. This is just my opinion.. Good luck on your journey.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Oh, you're looking for forums where people won't be bashed for starving their bodies with only 400-500 calories?

Google "Pro-anorexia".
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have Adkins friends and my parents use this method and it works for them, but I don't agree with HCG...with that being said, if the OP is happy with her diet choices then why are she so upset with those of us that have our opinions. You can still use MFP. I eat a lot of processed food and I'm still losing weight...many people would argue that I'm not making good choices by not eating more non processed food, but I'm doing what works for me and not freaking out when I see others opinions on "frozen dinners" and "processed food".

I think HCG is a gimmick considering it's been around for years and makes it's cycle through society as people find it "works" for awhile but then doesn't promise to keep the weight off. I think there are many ways to lose weight without restriction to 500 calories for a time period. I will always share my opinion if someone asks for advice, but if you are that proud and confident that it works for you then don't take it personal and be happy with your choices.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Do any of you do Atkins, or HCG? Not looking to debate if you will, the reasons I do what I do, just curious if there are any here. But thanks for taking the time to write. :happy:

P.S. I am happy with the diet choices I have made and they are working great for me. I came here to find others who want to support and be supported. That is why I am on MFP. But maybe this is not the place, that's what I am trying to figure out. :huh:

I have no clue about the HCG diet but I don't see see how eating 500 cals a day is healthy for ANYONE. Not bashing, just stating what I think to be a fact. If you are looking for people to agree with that diet, I would google HCG support groups or boards. I am sure that you can find a like minded community.

People here want to lose the weight in a healthy way and keep it off. No sense in losing if only when you do start eating normally you gain it all back, right? You won't be able to keep up for long on that sort of program. That sort of eating is what causes anorexia. And since I have a mother that has struggled with that, it scares me.

So your suggestion is that I leave this site and go somewhere else for support of my choices....wow...interesting way to support people.

"Wow..." I support healthy eating habits. Whatever plan ~ as long as it is healthy. Can you serioulsy find a dr. to support a 500 cal a day eating plan? I think not. You were the one who said you weren't sure if this was the place for you. I gave you a suggestion to help find other "like minded" people since you said you didn't know if this was the place for you. I didn't tell you to leave. I never would. I apologize if it came across that way.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've been on the site for several months, and there seems to be all kinds of diet method folks here. Yes, some of the postings get snarky - lots of people think only their way is the right way - I tend to tune out when I see a thread going south - but I'm sure you'll find folks interested in what you want to do. Good luck!
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    :heart: LMAO at "Mycaloriein-outpal"

:laugh:
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Personally i think people should just learn to eat none of this atkins hcg etc etc just follow basic common sense eat less, eat fresh and excercise ,,, you dont see animals out in the wild going gee what diet should i put myself on this year because they eat to survive because they listern to their bodies and because their survival depends on eating as much variety as possible to keep themselves strong fit lean and fast

I hope that didnt come across to snarky im by no means perfect and clearly havent been following my own advice but i really think thats the only thing that can work loseing weight is so much more than just being a different size or a smaller number its all about the fuel we put in how it effects things like our longevity, energy, skin, hair, smell, organs etc and these diets just restrict to much of the things we need and worst of all dont teach us that food is just food and that being healthy isnt this big secret mysetry that you can only get from books and dvds

So no-one should ever follow Atkins or any lower carb diet? My Uncle and my friends father both have follow a low-carb Atkins lifestyle. My Uncle has long before atkins was a household name. They both are diabetics who no longer have to use mediation to control it. So you are say all people should eat the same no matter what and just drug themselves up?

I watch my carbs because I have found I have more energy, I feel better, look better, get more rest, has reduced my PMS symptoms, actually lose weight and many more reasons. Its a lifestyle for me, not a diet.

So because I use MFP to watch my calories and carb intake I am doing it "wrong" and there for can not play the reindeer games? I don't really understand the whole "my way is the only way!" ideas. I'm pretty open-minded and realize all people are different and can eat what they want. I eat plenty of protein, all fruits and vegetables, plenty of calcium and limit my whole grains and sugars all while eating at a deficit and working out. I'm not sure whats so unhealthy about that? Why does it bother people so much that I eat this way?
  • darklord48
    darklord48 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I cannot see how 500 calories is enough for anyone. I don't think low carb, high carb, Atkins, or any of the other diets make any real difference as long as your caloric intake is lower than your caloric expenditure by a modest amount each day.

If you prefer to eat low carb while tracking your calories, go for it. I would not go below the MFP recommended caloric intake with a targeted loss of 1lb per week or 2lb per week, depending on how overweight you are.

The math does not lie. 1lb of fat stores 3500 calories. If you eat 500 calories less than what you expend in a day, you will lose 1lb per week. Provided you are still eating enough that your body doesn't go into starvation/conservation mode.

Starvation/conservation mode is when your body changes how many calories it burns each day or changes the source of the calories from what you have eaten and your fat reserves to include your muscle as well. This will result in being "skinny fat" Your weight may be within the normal range, but your body fat percentage will still be high.
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Personally i think people should just learn to eat none of this atkins hcg etc etc just follow basic common sense eat less, eat fresh and excercise ,,, you dont see animals out in the wild going gee what diet should i put myself on this year because they eat to survive because they listern to their bodies and because their survival depends on eating as much variety as possible to keep themselves strong fit lean and fast

I hope that didnt come across to snarky im by no means perfect and clearly havent been following my own advice but i really think thats the only thing that can work loseing weight is so much more than just being a different size or a smaller number its all about the fuel we put in how it effects things like our longevity, energy, skin, hair, smell, organs etc and these diets just restrict to much of the things we need and worst of all dont teach us that food is just food and that being healthy isnt this big secret mysetry that you can only get from books and dvds

So no-one should ever follow Atkins or any lower carb diet? My Uncle and my friends father both have follow a low-carb Atkins lifestyle. My Uncle has long before atkins was a household name. They both are diabetics who no longer have to use mediation to control it. So you are say all people should eat the same no matter what and just drug themselves up?

I watch my carbs because I have found I have more energy, I feel better, look better, get more rest, has reduced my PMS symptoms, actually lose weight and many more reasons. Its a lifestyle for me, not a diet.

So because I use MFP to watch my calories and carb intake I am doing it "wrong" and there for can not play the reindeer games? I don't really understand the whole "my way is the only way!" ideas. I'm pretty open-minded and realize all people are different and can eat what they want. I eat plenty of protein, all fruits and vegetables, plenty of calcium and limit my whole grains and sugars all while eating at a deficit and working out. I'm not sure whats so unhealthy about that? Why does it bother people so much that I eat this way?

Nope never said no one should do it just simply expressed my opinion that people as a whole would be better off if they just learnt about food and nutrition with out some set of restricted guidlines that they have to pay for to make other people rich if it became just a lifestyle rather than a diet that we pay for it might stick longer

Im fully aware that diets such as atkins etc can and do work and for some people its the thing that will get them started on that healthy journey and i would always support and welcome them here i really dont care how or why you lose weight on here the way im doing it isnt perfect,, but i do expect to be able to simply state my opinion that as a species we really dont need it and can do it will just a healthy lifestyle change which is all i was saying
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    HCG injections do nothing for weight loss and homeopathic drops do less than nothing

Stein et al. Ineffectiveness of human chorionic gonadotropin in weight reduction: a double-blind study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 29, 940-948

"HCG does not appear to enhance the effectiveness of a rigidly imposed regimen for weight reduction."

Lijesen et al. The effect of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity by means of the Simeons therapy: a criteria-based meta-analysis. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1995 Sep;40(3):237-43.

"There is no scientific evidence that hCG is effective in the treatment of obesity; it does not bring about weight-loss of fat-redistribution, nor does it reduce hunger or induce a feeling of well-being."

also see JAMA 236:2495–2497, 1976, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 29:940–948, 1976, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 12:230–234, 1963, S Afr Med J. 1990 Feb 17;77(4):185-9, West Journal of Medicine 127:461–463, 1977, Archives of Internal Medicine 137:151-155, 1977
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I came here because I was referred and I notice everything is based on Low Cal, Low Fat 1200 cal thing. Where are all the Atkins people or Low Carb choice people or HCG people. I typed in HCG and saw nothing but insult after bashing from people who clearly do not like the choice, but not alot of support.

What kind of site is this when peoples choices are ripped apart in a public forum. I actually really liked doing the HCG diet and feel like it helped me to build a different relationship with food. Portion sizes and types of food. Noticing alot of people really have no clue about how HCG works. Any HCG-ers and Low Carbers add me.

You like pregnant women's pee? :noway:
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    You've just got to read all the success stories to know that MFP works. This site allows you to pretty much eat what you want so it's the best all rounder way to lose weight. You don't have to deny yourself anything within reason. You just have to make sure you exercise enough to burn off any extra cals. If the other diets worked for you.. would you be on here in the first place? Good luck and all the best

Yes, agreed with above....I myself have done the Atkins, South beach, Low carb, deny, deny, deny...is all I hit at every diet I started...I now, do not deny myself as all it brings is heartache, depression, more weight gain, torture..is a better word...I am now learning and coping with whatever choices I have been given..and exercising to burn whatever I want to eat..in fact I have lost weight doing this..and I wholeheartedly love it....I'm glad for your losses and if your feeling great at the moment..but trust me, if you do not know how to get back to eating/maintaining after you have lost the weight...that will be the downfall...sad but seriously true...I am not alone in this story...family, friends, co-workers, etc..have done the same..so not bashing on your diet...just some advice as to what may happen...hopefully you are able to pull through this with flying colors, as for me and others..we are doing great so far and loving it..best of luck:flowerforyou:

Rachael
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Crying...bwahahaha

You like pregnant women's pee? :noway:
  • BBBombshell
    Options
    I am so glad I asked for everyone's opinion about what diet I follow.....oh that is right I DID NOT. So, if you want to continue the discussions of why Atkins is bad or Low Carbing is bad, then by all means do. And if you wanna spew all night about how awful HCG is.....go right on ahead. I will be hanging out with my new friends...the ones with like mind :drinker: this was precisely the discussions I was asking to avoid :flowerforyou:
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    One good thing about the internet is you can select which post to read.
    I do low carb and also into intermittent fasting. I just read whatever posts that help me stick to my diet
    and ignore the rest.
    I know it's HARD to stick to a diet and it does not help that others trash you.
    I don't believe in low fat, low carb diet but everyone has their own opinion.
    Diet is all about the mind so as long you believe you do the right thing, you will make it work.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

The staff of MyFitnessPal is actively reviewing their stance on topics that recommend or promote dieting methods that run counter to the site's own weight-loss recommendations.

In the meantime, please make sure to refrain from attacking or insulting other users.

Earnest and respectful debate on any message in the forums is acceptable. Attacking the messenger is not. Reciprocating attacks is also not acceptable.

Please note the following forum rule:

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

You may review the forum rules in their entirety at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14923-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting

I'm locking this thread as the focus seems to be more about complaining about the site than about finding support, but am leaving it in place for now as it does contain links to forum threads regarding HCG, Atkins, Low Carb, etc. that users may find helpful. The thread may be deleted in the future.

Thanks for your understanding,
    _Sally_
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.