are calories the only thing that matter?

Options
I feel like some people on this site don't even look into what you post and give you praise. If someone has a public food diary I will glance at it, just to see what others are eating and see if there is anything I could switch up in my routine. I have seen quite a few people who are eating terrible foods but still under their calorie goal, so people congratulate them. One day I was sick and ended up eating around 600 calories and got quite a few 'WTG's

Am I missing something? Is that the only goal, to stay under your calories? I have changed my whole life around so that I could make a healthy lifestyle for myself in the future, which includes eating as clean as possible. Yes, I'm not 100% perfect (but I am learning as I go) and don't claim to be an expert nutriontionist, but does this bother anyone else? Did I not get the memo that said as long as you're under your calorie goal you will lose weight?

Idk.. just wondering.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Did I not get the memo that said as long as you're under your calorie goal you will lose weight?

Idk.. just wondering.

While I agree with the premise of your post, the above is correct. If you are under your calorie goal you will lose weight.

That being said, I think it would be foolish to ONLY look at calorie intake as the deciding factor of health. Macros/Micros certainly matter as far as health and body composition, they just don't play a significant role in scale weight.

EDIT: And as far as goals, judging by the ridiculous things that people will attempt in order to lose weight, I would speculate that there's a large population of people on this site that are pretty much just trying to lose weight. Certainly not everyone of course.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I agree. I eat my calories in whole foods...fresh fruit and veggies..lean meat and all whole brown grains. Yet..I see diaries...of people eating 3 slices of pizza...and have a soft drink...its confusing.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    EAT WHOLE AND HEALTHY
  • LadyoftheDisc
    LadyoftheDisc Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have seen ppl ask this before. For those that use the apps on their phones, you cannot view someones diary to see what they ate, you only know that they were under calorie goal. This may be a reason you see comments praising ppl for eating unhealthy or coming in waay under goal. ??
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I agree. I eat my calories in whole foods...fresh fruit and veggies..lean meat and all whole brown grains. Yet..I see diaries...of people eating 3 slices of pizza...and have a soft drink...its confusing.

I can help you with that confusion.

They eat that...because it TASTES good. Is that so confusing? Not everyone has to eat 100% healthy 100% of the time!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I never congratulate people for being under UNLESS I've looked at their diary and they've actually done a good job. Some people are in it for the right reasons (being healthy) and some just want to lose weight....
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, for most people, calories are what matters.

For health, you want to look at the quality of those calories.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    a calorie deficit will result in weight loss, thats the science of it in a nutshell. 3500 calories to lose 1 pound. It does not however protect you nutritionally. You have to meet your energy needs or you will lose muscle mass and become a less efficient calorie burner and gain it all back. Eat a variety of low calorie density foods, choose half your plate with fruits and veggies and use discretionary calories wisely to make sure you take in all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals for good health.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Some people are crazy, ignorant, and/or apathetic.

Others feel that positive encouragement is valuable, despite less than stellar performance. When a young child falls off his bike, you don't scold him for falling (at least I wouldn't), you encourage him to keep trying and learning.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Last night I had a whole pizza. A pretty good sized one. I think it was very healthy honestly.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I can't make other people's food choices. If they choose to try losing weight on Wendy's, McDonald's, and/or Pizza Hut, that's up to them. If they can stay under their calorie goals, then they'll probably still lose weight.

I don't eat clean, but I'm usually under my goal. I try to make healthier choices and eat a lot of raw nuts and fresh fruits/veggies, but I also have my crap moments. Just last night I ordered pizza for us for supper because I have been dealing with sick kids and I've had minimal sleep. I had the calories, and quite frankly, I didn't care.

If you don't feel you can/should tell them way to go, then don't. If they aren't the kind of friends you want to have, then dump them. I don't dump my friends for making bad choices. We (including yourself) didn't get to where we needed to lose weight by having a healthy relationship with food. It will take some longer than others to clean that up. And honestly-it isn't about depriving myself foods I like. It's about learning to have them in moderation.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Pretty much yes.

I try to eat healthy-ish most of the time, but no, I don't eat "clean", I DO eat fast food, processed meat and even sugary cereal. Works for me.
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    i just think most people don't really look at all. i've been defriended for saying things like "you shouldn't have 4 sodas in one day but good job on eating more greens today"
    i wasn't saying it to be rude :(
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

They eat that...because it TASTES good. Is that so confusing? Not everyone has to eat 100% healthy 100% of the time!

Exactly ^

If you want to feel better about yourself, check out my diary LOL
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    . Some people are in it for the right reasons (being healthy) and some just want to lose weight....

We all have different goals. I don't think that makes one right and the other not.
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options

exactly! I'm one who eats the good, the bad, and the in between. I'd go crazy if I didn't and would surely fail if I ate 100% clean.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Yes it is pretty much how many calories you take in and burn. It is good to eat healthy but to lose you can eat the same amount in junk food calories and still lose.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is priority for me, but a lot of people aren't ready to deal with the bigger picture just yet. They need to find their own way with it, and some need a lot of encouragement just to control one part at a time - as in the calories. I've seen several start out focusing only on calories, and watched them get very upset when anyone tried to guide them towards better nutritional choices, and then eventually they make the decision on their own to start eating better when it makes sense to them. (Often when they get sick or realize that others are doing better because they're eating better!!)
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I never congratulate people for being under UNLESS I've looked at their diary and they've actually done a good job. Some people are in it for the right reasons (being healthy) and some just want to lose weight....

I am the same way. If their diary is open I will look at it and see whats going on in there to see how they did, if they ate all but like 100 calories from their day (after exercise) than I say WTG, but if they have only eaten 600 calories for the whole day I usually ask whats up?

It does kind of bother me when you see a ton of WTG's for something that doesn't deserve a WTG.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Was simply stating that "I" need to eat cleaner...what works for one..doesnt work for all. Yeah...I go to wendys...and I get the grilled chicken sandwich..only lettuce and tomato nothing else..and it comes on a wheat bun. Its just about making a healthy..or healthIER choice. We all rock so..ppfftt ;)