are calories the only thing that matter?

Options

Replies

• ItsAsha
    ItsAsha Posts: 78
    Options
    I never congratulate people for being under UNLESS I've looked at their diary and they've actually done a good job. Some people are in it for the right reasons (being healthy) and some just want to lose weight....

Is staying under your calorie goal not a good job? I will absolutely congratulate everybody for staying under their calorie goal, no matter what they've eaten. Although the foods they eat may not be the healthiest choice, they are still staying under their calorie limit, which means it's being controlled. Losing weight IS BEING HEALTHY, meaning they are also in it for the right reasons.

Some comments on this post are ridiculous. Why would you pick and choose who you praise? This site is for support. I say if they've made an effort to stay under their calorie goal, then they are in it for the right reason.

If someone is only watching calories, eating all kinds of fried foods....still clogging their arteries...how can you say they are being healthy?

They are being healthy in terms that they've cut back.
    They are being healthy in terms that they are UNDER their calorie goal. "All kinds of fried foods" will not keep you under your goal. I'm talking about one day of not so healthy eating, but still under the calorie goal, still deserves attention.

If it's under the calorie limit, then it's controlled. I do not think it's "healthy" to eat like that daily, because obv. arteries will be clogged. I'm merely speaking about congratulating somebody on staying under their calorie goal. If somebody is under- I will congratulate them.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    Well firstly, maybe they're not aiming to be healthy? Maybe they're just aiming to be smaller?

And secondly, healthy and healthier are completely subjective. Without knowing what the person used to be like, you have absolutely no idea what they're going through or how much effort it takes to be that much healthier, even if it doesn't look healthy to you.

Look at it this way, who deserves praise and support more
    a) A person who eats completely clean and healthy, has excellent diet and looks fantastic. However, this person was raised eating clean and healthy, never had weight issues and was always fit.
    OR
    b) A person who eats 1500cals of junk a day, is overweight and struggling. However this person was raised, and used to eat 3000 cals of junk a day, was 50 pounds heavier and is working their *kitten* off to cut down to this level

For me, easy call. A is healthier, but is the one who needs and deserves the WTG and the support. In the case of B, that WTG post might be the motivation they need on a bad day to keep going. Or even better, to improve. And once they see the results, maybe that support will help them make little changes, one at a time, to improve their diet.

Judging someone's progress or goals based solely on their food diary is ridiculous.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Can I still eat my bacon, peanut butter, and drink my chocolate milk?

If not then I'm gonna go cry now.

only if you can still afford the peanut butter after they hike the price....
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I didnt grow up "fit"...I struggled all my life...its a lifestyle change. We all make decisions daily..as adults...for what is best for us.
  • thesweatybetty
    thesweatybetty Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Well firstly, maybe they're not aiming to be healthy? Maybe they're just aiming to be smaller?

And secondly, healthy and healthier are completely subjective. Without knowing what the person used to be like, you have absolutely no idea what they're going through or how much effort it takes to be that much healthier, even if it doesn't look healthy to you.

a) A person who eats completely clean and healthy, has excellent diet and looks fantastic. However, this person was raised eating clean and healthy, never had weight issues and was always fit.
    OR
    b) A person who eats 1500cals of junk a day, is overweight and struggling. However this person was raised, and used to eat 3000 cals of junk a day, was 50 pounds heavier and is working their *kitten* off to cut down to this level

For me, easy call. A is healthier, but is the one who needs and deserves the WTG and the support. In the case of B, that WTG post might be the motivation they need on a bad day to keep going. Or even better, to improve. And once they see the results, maybe that support will help them make little changes, one at a time, to improve their diet.

Judging someone's progress or goals based solely on their food diary is ridiculous.

i was B) and ate tons of junk.. my parents would buy a 24 pack of coke and it would last more than a few days for my siblings and i

i'm not criticizing people who have different goals than i do either.. maybe its more frustrating for me to see people saying 'wtg' to me, when i know i didnt come close to what my goals are.. (like feeling bad and only eating 600 calories that day)

it's not like i'm this healthy person and im criticizing them for eating a piece of pizza here.. i didnt get 265 pounds that way. i also dont want people to think i'm judging them either, becausei get enough of that daily that i dont want someone to feel judgement from me.

obviously, to atleast half of the people on here, my point came across the wrong way.
  • reddog101
    Options
    Great comments and a lot of common sense in your post, frugalmom. I agree with your viewpoint.

It is a slow process for some of us to make the changes that took a lifetime to form. Baby steps are still an improvement.
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    technically yes calories are the only thing that matter in terms of losing weight but I always try to eat healthy foods such as vggies fruit, grilled chicken, fish etc...I do however have the occasional bowl of ice cream, pizza slice, candy bar but try to keep it to a minimum and only very occasionally
  • ItsAsha
    Options

OR

i was B) and ate tons of junk.. my parents would buy a 24 pack of coke and it would last more than a few days for my siblings and i

i'm not criticizing people who have different goals than i do either.. maybe its more frustrating for me to see people saying 'wtg' to me, when i know i didnt come close to what my goals are.. (like feeling bad and only eating 600 calories that day)

it's not like i'm this healthy person and im criticizing them for eating a piece of pizza here.. i didnt get 265 pounds that way. i also dont want people to think i'm judging them either, becausei get enough of that daily that i dont want someone to feel judgement from me.

obviously, to atleast half of the people on here, my point came across the wrong way.

I can understand your frustration now. Know that your dedication to your health, no matter what the definition of "healthy" means to you, doesn't go unnoticed. If YOU can see YOUR PROGRESS, that should be what matters most, doll.

Stay Strong.

[ps- a lot of my MFP friends delete ppl that don't show them support. if you're feeling like you need more support and more WTG's, add new friends and delete the ones who don't support you the way you need :drinker: ]
  • calamitydown
    Options
    i'll be the first to admit that i'm using MFP to lose weight, not to reach some sort of BS epiphany to change my life forever. yes, i have learned new techniques to apply to meal time to either lose or maintain weight, but i am NOT going to give up the foods i love (as well as my happiness and sanity) to be "skinny" the rest of my life.

some people on here were raised eating fast food for every meal. do you know how hard that is to kick, especially if they enjoy it and don't want to cut it out completely? yes, we should not be eating junk every meal, but it's okay to have foods that are deemed "horrible" and "dangerous" once in a while to keep us from going crazy.

to answer the OP's question, calories are not the only thing that matter for weight loss; however, for some, caloric maintenance alone can show huge results. not everyone is on here to become obsessed over eating organic, whole, or natural foods...a lot of people just want to LOSE WEIGHT. and since when is losing weight not a good reason to be on here, godroxmysox? see below vvv

( here is MFP's "summary" [so to speak] on what the site is for:
    "Free online calorie counter and diet plan. Lose weight by tracking your caloric intake quickly and easily. Find nutrition facts for over 1000000 foods." )

*cough*see:lose weight*cough* :)
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I never congratulate people for being under UNLESS I've looked at their diary and they've actually done a good job. Some people are in it for the right reasons (being healthy) and some just want to lose weight....

Is staying under your calorie goal not a good job? I will absolutely congratulate everybody for staying under their calorie goal, no matter what they've eaten. Although the foods they eat may not be the healthiest choice, they are still staying under their calorie limit, which means it's being controlled. Losing weight IS BEING HEALTHY, meaning they are also in it for the right reasons.

Some comments on this post are ridiculous. Why would you pick and choose who you praise? This site is for support. I say if they've made an effort to stay under their calorie goal, then they are in it for the right reason.

If someone is only watching calories, eating all kinds of fried foods....still clogging their arteries...how can you say they are being healthy?

They are being healthy in terms that they are UNDER their calorie goal. "All kinds of fried foods" will not keep you under your goal. I'm talking about one day of not so healthy eating, but still under the calorie goal, still deserves attention.

If it's under the calorie limit, then it's controlled. I do not think it's "healthy" to eat like that daily, because obv. arteries will be clogged. I'm merely speaking about congratulating somebody on staying under their calorie goal. If somebody is under- I will congratulate them.

To each their own =)
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, for most people, calories are what matters.

For health, you want to look at the quality of those calories.

^^^This!! You are sooo right!!
  • MacguyverMommy
    MacguyverMommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    yes they are! take your vitamins and then youre fine.
  • ItsAsha
    Options

To each their own =)

indeed
  • thesweatybetty
    Options
    i'll be the first to admit that i'm using MFP to lose weight, not to reach some sort of BS epiphany to change my life forever. yes, i have learned new techniques to apply to meal time to either lose or maintain weight, but i am NOT going to give up the foods i love (as well as my happiness and sanity) to be "skinny" the rest of my life.

some people on here were raised eating fast food for every meal. do you know how hard that is to kick, especially if they enjoy it and don't want to cut it out completely? yes, we should not be eating junk every meal, but it's okay to have foods that are deemed "horrible" and "dangerous" once in a while to keep us from going crazy.

to answer the OP's question, calories are not the only thing that matter for weight loss; however, for some, caloric maintenance alone can show huge results. not everyone is on here to become obsessed over eating organic, whole, or natural foods...a lot of people just want to LOSE WEIGHT. and since when is losing weight not a good reason to be on here, godroxmysox? see below vvv

( here is MFP's "summary" [so to speak] on what the site is for:
    "Free online calorie counter and diet plan. Lose weight by tracking your caloric intake quickly and easily. Find nutrition facts for over 1000000 foods." )

*cough*see:lose weight*cough* :)

yes i know how hard it is to kick fast food.. because i WAS eating it daily.. and my reasoning behind wanting to change my life is considered a "BS epiphany" ?
  • Quilled
    Quilled Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I understand a little where the OP is coming from. She is feeling frustrated that people are essentially congratulating others for bad decisions. I dont think anyone here eats 100% healthy all the time. We all have our junk food splurges now and again. But it seems like she is frustrated seeing a diary where someone is constantly eating only say 500-600 calories a day (Like HCG only without the HCG) and getting pats on the back for "being under their calorie goal".

Not everyone in this world has the same reasoning skills, for some people a pat on the back means good job keep doing what you are doing. So they will keep posting 500-600 calories a day and eventually cause themselves lots of damage, probably sabotage themselves and never quite reach their goal.

It is frustrating, I have seen diaries where going back for weeks and weeks the people do nothing but eat their calories in junk food every day. They are still putting themselves at risk for a heart attack, they are still destroying their health they are just doing it 'less' than they were before. So while its a victory if a person has a splurge day or a splurge meal and keeps it toned down from what it used to be. The constant congrats can make them think that doing nothing but eating small portions of junk food day in and day out is the way its done. They may lose weight that way and they may end up looking skinnier but they are just turning their body into a fast ticking time bomb. In the end it may be their choice but not everyone feels comfortable patting someone else on the back while they head down the road to destruction.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    For me, it's all about the calories. Of course, I have learned that I have to use most of those calories on good wholesome food if I am to avoid being hungry, weak and jittery all day. So I say praise when someone is under their calories, because you know that is one of their goals. Until MPF has another ticker that says so and so ate 83% paleo or whatever.
  • thesweatybetty
    Options
    I understand a little where the OP is coming from. She is feeling frustrated that people are essentially congratulating others for bad decisions. I dont think anyone here eats 100% healthy all the time. We all have our junk food splurges now and again. But it seems like she is frustrated seeing a diary where someone is constantly eating only say 500-600 calories a day (Like HCG only without the HCG) and getting pats on the back for "being under their calorie goal".

Not everyone in this world has the same reasoning skills, for some people a pat on the back means good job keep doing what you are doing. So they will keep posting 500-600 calories a day and eventually cause themselves lots of damage, probably sabotage themselves and never quite reach their goal.

It is frustrating, I have seen diaries where going back for weeks and weeks the people do nothing but eat their calories in junk food every day. They are still putting themselves at risk for a heart attack, they are still destroying their health they are just doing it 'less' than they were before. So while its a victory if a person has a splurge day or a splurge meal and keeps it toned down from what it used to be. The constant congrats can make them think that doing nothing but eating small portions of junk food day in and day out is the way its done. They may lose weight that way and they may end up looking skinnier but they are just turning their body into a fast ticking time bomb. In the end it may be their choice but not everyone feels comfortable patting someone else on the back while they head down the road to destruction.

thank you
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes, I get where the OP is coming from. I guess I'm just explaining where *I'M* coming from, too. It honestly never occurred to me to critique someone's diary-- I assume most of us are here to lose weight, and I only have a few friends, I know losing weight is the goal of all of them. So I know they hope to hit slightly below that number, so I sometimes say a "yay!" when they do. It's like this-- it's up to ME to decide if I want to run tonight even though I have shin splints. I don't expect my MFP friends to log my shin splints and give me a thumbs down if I run tonight anyway, because even though it's a bad idea for me specifically now, I just assume my friends would see "ran, blah blah blah," and say "good job!"

I don't know-- I'm just not into overthinking this to that degree, I guess. You're here to limit calories, so when I see you've done that, I may throw out a happy face-- if you need more specialized constant critique and hand-slapping rather than a generalized support, I guess I'm not the friend for you, but I do wish you the best of luck. :)
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Restricting calories will allow you to lose weight, even if those calories come from nothing but cookies and cake.

But I am interested in health beyond weight loss. I think that nourishing the body is extremely important to long term health and, in my mind, that comes from whole, natural foods in the least processed state appropriate. I also think it is incredibly hubristic to think that we humans 1) have complete understanding of what micronutrients are necessary for optimal health and 2) can appropriately isolate those nutrients, take them in pill form, and expect optimal health. We are constantly learning more and more about the micronutrients/minerals/flavinoids/whathaveyou that are key to longevity and a life free from modern disease. And, typically, when we do discover something new, isolate it, and put it in pill form, it is not processed the same way by the body as it is in pill form. In that way, I think real food is key. (In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan does a great job of addressing this, if anyone is looking for a book recommendation.)

That said, everyone has their own motivations for being here and their own ideas of what is healthy and best for them. So, I don't comment on diaries. :happy:
  • Maximus0005
    Maximus0005 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am no nutrionist or dietician by any means. However, after doing some research on my own it is important to know how many calories you are taking in in comparison to putting out and for everyone it varies on your BMI. You naturally burn calories just by living (breathing, walking around etc.). Obviously if you put in less calories than you put out you are going to lose weight.

However, I don't think that calories are the only thing that one needs to watch. There is also fat content, cholesterol, and protein. There is good and bad cholesterol and fat. Good as in something like avocados and bad as in a large Mcdonalds fries. For something like protein, more is good for packing on muscle if you also work out with it, but too much can also lead to unwanted weight gain.

I look at other peoples diets to get an idea of what to do for myself but I can't stick to them because it does not work the same for me personally. For example, I often eat a Mcdonalds egg Mcmuffin for breakfast. I know many people hear Mcdonalds and think its taboo for weight loss. But for something like the egg mcmuffin it only has 300 calories, 12 g of fat, and 18g of protein. I am not suggesting to go on a Mcdonalds binge. I am simply saying that sometimes it is not as bad as other options if you look at the nutritional value as a whole.

That is my opinion. Like I said I am not claiming to have a professional take on this. Just an idea from some self research.

I am also not perfect as the local fast food places are much more tempting due to their convenience than actually taking the time to prepare something. I am well aware of the amounts of dominos, papa johns etc. It is a bit of a wake up call when you actually see it laid out for you.